• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I suspend the game on PS4 and come back to it a few hours later, the counter will have included those hours in the overall playtime :(

edit: beaten

Lot of people have said this, apparently because of rest mode. Have you had your console in rest mode?

Broken. Counts suspended time (on PS4 at least) as playtime, and also seems to freak out and jump ahead several hours when it feels like it (I think it has something to do with being in the pause menu, messes up the counter). Unless you want to go back to a save before it became messed up there's probably no way to fix it, no. I luckily discovered it in time, only had to redo about 30 mins, and have been very careful with it ever since.

Shit. I'm over 30 hours in now, so point of no return as far as I'm concerned. It's a minor, though I'd love to know exactly how long I've played. What a strange bug.

Anung

Un Rama
There is so many great "feels" moments in this game. It's a rare thing for a game to make me feel genuine pity towards something but this game pulled it off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just want to recommend people to try the game with no mini map and points of interest, I started to get that ubisoft feel in white orchard, which is now completely gone after turning those off. You can check the map to see which direction you should head, and then use the sun to keep yourself going the right way.

At least turn off the assassin's creed control thing, c'mon. The game looks beautiful with no HUD.

Yeah, I'm definitely at least turning the points of interest off. I'm maybe an hour into Velen, and I'm really starting to get that Ubisoft icon hunt feel. Can't resist running from ? to ? when they're all around me, and that takes so much away from the exploration.

GavinGT

Banned
How many times must I have this conversation?:

"Ciri? Yes, I saw her."

"Tell me where she went."

"First, do ____ for me."

Me and Ciri would be back at the inn having hot cocoa right now if everyone wasn't dicking me around.

Ushay

Ok question time!

1- What are the adrenaline points used for? The white blocks under the stamina bar?

2- When I've created a potion/oil it says I've already created it, does this mean I don't need those materials again?

3. Someone mentioned a
crystal crow skull
, can I backtrack and grab it?
I'm currently gathering information about the Griffon.

4. Can I cook raw meat for better health gains, or is Swallow the best thing. Death March diff doesn't allow meditation regen.

Jayne

When I get access to a barber can I get any hairstyle I want and still keep the growing beard? I know that if you choose another beard style then it will be permanently at one length but I was just wondering if the hairstyles effected the beards somehow.
Yup! As long as you don't choose one of the beard presets, the beard will grow with whatever hairstyle you choose. I went with the shaved sides and ponytail, every time I stop by the city I get a clean shave and watch it grow. ^^

Loomba

Yup! As long as you don't choose one of the beard presets, the beard will grow with whatever hairstyle you choose. I went with the shaved sides and ponytail, every time I stop by the city I get a clean shave and watch it grow. ^^

That's what I do, magical.

Gurish

Have a gameplay question, if you cancel auto finishers how does the combat changes? how do you manually finish your opponent and is it recommended to change it to manual?

I honestly can't believe that some call the combat "shit".
I play on "broken bones" difficulty and I'm having a good time figthing, it's pretty diverse. I have to think, plan ahead, dodge here and there, roll when they're charging, time parrys, block. Sword animations are fluid and fun, sometimes Geralt starts a sequence with one enemy and finish on the other enemy, all fluently. Also it's fun playing with bombs, oils, and signs. There are lots of way you can play the fight and I always need to be concentrated and put an effort. For me combat is good and engaging.

This is true. Some on GAF seem to have a limited vocabulary and an infinite capacity for hyperbole though and "shit" seems to cover everything from 'is not quite to my taste' to 'I'm not good at it' to 'is not quite as good as Bloodborne'.

I thought it controlled awkwardly at first coming straight off the back of Bloodborne.
Now I've spent several hours in the game and I'm used to the pace and flow of combat and I actually think it's quite good. It just took a little bit of practice and patience to adapt really.

The first step is to not overuse R3 to lock on. Most of the time the auto lock is sufficient and an R3 lock should be saved for mainly fights against single enemies or once you thin the group out a little.
Realising that dodge is usually way more useful than roll in most cases was a big help.
Learning to split groups up and get fights down to manageable numbers helps.
if you come across mounted enemies you can knock them to the floor with Igni or knock creatures like Harpies out of the air you can walk up to them and finish them off with Square while they are down.
Shield guys and guys with normal light weapons are often quite easy to parry if you watch the wind up for their attacks.

KorrZ

"I'm getting bored of a lot of the content in W3 just like other open world games. Picking up quests from a board is like climbing a tower in Assassin's Creed and the follow up to it? Save X persons in distress, destroy X monster lairs, Clear X abandonded sites, find X hidden treasures.. It's just mind numbingly dull."

Then stop going from question mark to question mark? Turn off your points of interest. Open world games allow you to be in control of content consumption. Make it organic and interesting instead of trying to plow through it all. I'm having zero issues keeping myself entertained ~15 hours in.

Wise advice. I stopped myself from the constantly setting way points to ?'s on the map pretty quickly, it does make the game less dynamic feeling and takes a bit of that sense of exploration away. Only set waypoints to quests people, and travel to places on foot/horseback. If you fast travel everywhere then you're never going to stumble upon things off the beaten path of your own accord.

Gattsu25

Banned
It was just frustrating, the battle was fairly tough as it was, however, the fact that it was tough simply because the mechanics didn't really work properly isn't really a done thing.

I know it's opinions and all, but I just can't understand how this passes as a "perfect" game these days.
This is the wrong thread to go into this but a 10/10 doesn't represent perfect and never has. It just means that, compared to other games of a similar type, this is the best one currently available.

Nah, was just joking about how hard the decision would be since, you know, boobs.

ok lol.

also
CFmAp8dUMAA-jAA.jpg:large

feeling a bit overwhelmed. look at the top. I spent nearly 50 hours in Velen and some of novigrad trying to do everything. I still have tons to do.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok question time!

1- What are the adrenaline points used for? The white blocks under the stamina bar?

2- When I've created a potion/oil it says I've already created it, does this mean I don't need those materials again?

3. Someone mentioned a
crystal crow skull

4. Can I cook raw meat for better health gains, or is Swallow the best thing. Death March diff doesn't allow meditation regen.

1. It increases the more hits your get in without getting hit yourself, and the higher it is the more damage you do, I think. Certain skills also use it.

2. Yes, once you've created a potion you never need the ingredients for it again, just some alcohol to refill it when you meditate.

3. Yeah, just go
back to where Geralt woke up after the dream
and look around.

4. Can't cook AFAIK. Swallow is where it's at. But you should also get the Sun & Stars skill, which regenerates vitality while out of combat during daytime.

How is everyone checking their playtime?

Character screen, R2.

Kyaw

Ok question time!

3. Someone mentioned a
crystal crow skull

You can go back to the crossroads in White Orchard, use your Witcher senses to find it around the area.

EDIT: beaten

Ok question time!

2- When I've created a potion/oil it says I've already created it, does this mean I don't need those materials again

Some abilities use adrenaline.

To answer this question though:
When you meditate you will refill your potions if you have hard alcohol in your inventory (eg Dwarven Spirit or Alcholest). It only uses the alcohol to replenish the potions.

If you don't have alcohol but do have the other ingredients you could always try dropping the potion in question and just rebrewing the actual potion.
I can't see why that wouldn't work but I haven't actually tried it because I have lots of alcohol.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
A friend made a version-independent weight mod if anyone's interested. You just drag and drop the contents of the zip file to your bin\x64 folder and it makes all the items weigh a value of 0.01. It should work on future updates of the game unless some significant changes are made to how the game calculates item weight.

Release: https://github.com/fatalis/witcher3weight/releases/latest

Source code: https://github.com/fatalis/witcher3weight/

Quoting for people who missed it. Really useful, and simple. I went from 42/60 to 5/60. It's nice not to pay attention to how much I'm carrying.

Ray Wonder

Time to get the last piece of Griffin armour today. Lighthouse area was a bit tricky last night but I'll be able to beat it today. I hope..

Also someone over on Reddit threw a screenshot through the oil filter in photoshop. Can result in some gorgous shots. https://imgur.com/a/5NThM

Wow, these are super cool. I might make one for a wallpaper.

Edit: woops. I assumed someone would comment before I hit reply. lol

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Need help for getting into Novigrad:

I accepted both the contract from the leader of the guard and the quest from the counterfeiter. But because I didn't rat out the scoiatel the guard gave me no reward. I also failed to protect the counterfeiter's brother in law and now he won't talk to me.

Is there any other way to get a pass or have I screwed myself?

Gattsu25

Banned
A friend made a version-independent weight mod if anyone's interested. You just drag and drop the contents of the zip file to your binx64 folder and it makes all the items weigh a value of 0.01. It should work on future updates of the game unless some significant changes are made to how the game calculates item weight.

Release: https://github.com/fatalis/witcher3weight/releases/latest

Source code: https://github.com/fatalis/witcher3weight/
Great to see the modding community already at work.

That said, the weight limit is so lenient in this game that i don't think this is as impactful as the witcher 2's weight mod.

Still, that's just me @ 9 or so hours in. Ask me again after I've played for a few more hours and I might be singing and entirely different tune, lol

murgo

Return to Crookback Bog spoilers:

Holy fucking shit. Holy SHIT! I chose to release the Lady of the Woods spirit earlier in the game, the children got taken away and the crones got very angry. They turned Anna into a monster, so I lifted the curse, yet she still died. Well shit, I thought.. but then I went back to Crow's Perch to collect my payment and I found the Bloody Baron hanging from a tree. Killed himself because he lost everything he held dear.

This game is a fucking masterpiece.

Need help for getting into Novigrad:

I accepted both the contract from the leader of the guard and the quest from the counterfeiter. But because I didn't rat out the scoiatel the guard gave me no reward. I also failed to protect the counterfeiter's brother in law and now he won't talk to me.

Is there any other way to get a pass or have I screwed myself?

swim

bede-x

Then stop going from question mark to question mark? Turn off your points of interest. Open world games allow you to be in control of content consumption. Make it organic and interesting instead of trying to plow through it all. I'm having zero issues keeping myself entertained ~15 hours in.

Or how about developers start cutting down on copy/paste grinding content, so we don't have to skip sections, without knowing with certainty beforehand whether it's worth doing or not.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wow, these are super cool. I might make one for a wallpaper.

Edit: woops. I assumed someone would comment before I hit reply. lol
Double Posting refers to an old condition that would happen on GAF were your exact same post would show up two, three, maybe even four times in a row.

That doesn't happen anymore and now people apologize for posting two separate post consecutively which is, IMO, not really something worth apologizing over.

In short, you're good: no need to be sorry 😸

I don't really want this game to end, but then I get excited about doing a Witcher trilogy playthrough at some point down the line. Make some different choices.

What a great series it's turned out to be.

Frillen

There's a small ruined fortress on an island on the western side of Velen with a Wyvern flying around it. How do you lower the bridge to get over to it?

Zakalwe

Banned
Or how about developers start cutting down on copy/paste grinding content, so we don't have to skip sections, without knowing with certainty beforehand whether it's worth doing or not.

There's only so much that can be done sure ing a development cycle.

If we make a comparison TW3's repetition isn't in the same league as Dragon Age: Inquisitions'. I think they did a great job of making the world feel like it's lived in and the quests feel varied.

Also to consider is the fact that Geralt is a witcher and his job is repetitious and specific. The optional side content is his job, it would be almost impossible to not have any repetition there.

Sid

First Witcher,played for a few hours on PS4 so here are my intial impressions:-
Pros:-
Nice but not spectacular visuals
Story
Dialogue
Combat
The world

Cons:-
Framerate
Clunky Controls
Long death reload times
Limited exploration

If you are looking for the
Vitriol
formulae (not sure if you can get it elsewhere), I found it on an old watchtower (I think it's actually called that). It seems impossible to get onto one of the levels but you can jump onto it if you look for the right place (it's near the broken wall), there are two chests.

Not sure if it's an important formulae for some things yet but it was placed in such a weird place that there must be a reason as to why.

Ray Wonder

Double Posting refers to an old condition that would happen on GAF were your exact same post would show up two, three, maybe even four times in a row.

That doesn't happen anymore and now people apologize for posting two separate post consecutively which is, IMO, not really something worth apologizing over.

In short, you're good: no need to be sorry 😸

Thanks

That is so sick dude.

Even if you didn't know she is his adopted daughter the game actually explained that, and even showed Geralt trained her when she was a little kid.

Ciri got hot though. If I wasn't playing as Geralt I would agree with him.

Scrawnton

I played the game for a bit this morning before work and I just get this awesome feeling playing it. Like I am actually living in and exploring the world they created. I grew up by woods when I was a kid and I am saddened now I cannot explore them like I used to. This game scratches that itch. Its awesome.

Beefy

There are side new quests that only open up after certain side or main quests are done. Having the guide I have found about 5 or 6 so far and that is only im Velen with hardly any story quests done , so there will be plenty more.

As a example:
For any one that has done the
Happy Widow side quest, if you return to the same village after 5 days there is another quest to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom