• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
At work and all I can think about is continuing my adventures as the White Wolf. The waiting is painful :(

To have a game on your mind for all the week and not playing it just shows how special this is. It's been a long ass time I've had this feeling of excitement and eagerness to keep playing. I need my fix!

Anyone knows where can I find a journeyman blacksmith? I'm still rockin' my lvl 1 silver sword at lvl 10 now

What's the quickest way to farm meat or anything I could eat to recover hp or recovering my hp faster?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
At work and all I can think about is continuing my adventures as the White Wolf. The waiting is painful :(

To have a game on your mind for all the week and not playing it just shows how special this is. It's been a long ass time I've had this feeling of excitement and eagerness to keep playing. I need my fix!

Yeah, I still have 7 1/2 hrs. Today's going to be bad. Not only because of Witcher, not only because it's Friday, but also because I have Monday off for Memorial day.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

Same... Just another five hours and I'm free to a 3-day weekend that will probably contain at least 40 hours of Witcher.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Outside of GTA I can't think of another Triple A title that has combat that is so bad and unpolished as this game.
Gahhhh!

KorrZ

I have no idea how there are already people beating this game...I've done NOTHING except play this game from the second I get home from work to the time I go to bed everyday since it came out and I've barely scratched the surface.

Erban1

Any good comparison for the combat? I'm considering picking this up today, but I've seen mixed reception to the combat. Is it fun on a minute to minute basis? Combat plays a big role in whether or not I enjoy a rpg overall.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
I find the combat great, maybe it's you?

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the game feels like I am playing it through remote play on the vita.

Its so sluggish, so slow and animations are so odd and disjointed. W3 makes Assassins Creed feel like a Nintendo game in quality. I can understand someone saying the combat is passable and it doesn't bother them as much as me but it is in no quantifiable way great.

Any good comparison for the combat? I'm considering picking this up today, but I've seen mixed reception to the combat. Is it fun on a minute to minute basis? Combat plays a big role in whether or not I enjoy a rpg overall.

Its pretty terrible. I never played other games in the series but if they played anything like this game no wonder people disliked them so much. I can't think of any other game like it except maybe Assassins Creed if Assassins Creed ran at 15fps and only registered some of your button presses.

Stoze

Same... Just another five hours and I'm free to a 3-day weekend that will probably contain at least 40 hours of Witcher.

Oh my god I forgot this is a 3-day weekend. I don't know about 40 hours for me, but it will probably be close.

Has anyone been using dedoctions? Now that I have generic colored mutagens that have the same effects I can use in the skill tree, I should probably make more of them. Some of them seem insanely powerful, but I tried out the Griffin one (I think) and honestly didn't notice a difference.

Saint9806

I have no idea how there are already people beating this game...I've done NOTHING except play this game from the second I get home from work to the time I go to bed everyday since it came out and I've barely scratched the surface.

I'm assuming they don't do any sidequests. From what I hear, the main quests take about 40 hours.

Today I have a half day. Gonna return to second area and do all of the witcher hunts. Gonna grab the ursine sword schematics I missed as the ursine school armor is the best of the school armors hands down.

Hey guys I have yet to find a horse saddle bigger than 30. Are there bigger ones? If so where?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
even though just cause was huge but a lot of the areas looked the same to me in here there is way more variety which proves quality > quantity

Absolutely. JC2's world is just huge, it's not very interesting at all. I was just pointing out his factual error in claiming that TW3 has the largest world of any game. It's not even close. But it might very well be the best one ever if you weigh quantity and quality together.

Chariot

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the game feels like I am playing it through remote play on the vita.

Its so sluggish, so slow and animations are so odd and disjointed. W3 makes Assassins Creed feel like a Nintendo game in quality.
Switch to kb and m, this is works a lot better. It's not the polished combat, but bringing AC in this is just too much. I still have plenty of fun with it. It's more than with any AC combat.

Some choices I have made so far:

Keira -
Shagged
Baron -
Made him carry his aborted child and bury it under threshold
Allgod -
Let him live, but told the peasants about the cave

Chariot

Today I have a half day. Gonna return to second area and do all of the witcher hunts. Gonna grab the ursine sword schematics I missed as the ursine school armor is the best of the school armors hands down.

Hey guys I have yet to find a horse saddle bigger than 30. Are there bigger ones? If so where?
I got one that brought me to 130 from someone at the baron's keep.

GavinGT

Banned
Is there some reason my weapons need to be repaired every 10 minutes? Is there a mod to increase weapon durability?

It's such a hassle to constantly pop repair kits on them. And buying repair kits is an even bigger hassle.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Switch to kb and m, this is works a lot better. It's not the polished combat, but bringing AC in this is just too much. I still have plenty of fun with it. It's more than with any AC combat.

You switched to KB/M on PS4?
Hmm interesting ill try it. What difficulty are you playing at?

Mendrox

Oh my god I forgot this is a 3-day weekend. I don't know about 40 hours for me, but it will probably be close.

Has anyone been using dedoctions? Now that I have generic colored mutagens that have the same effects I can use in the skill tree, I should probably make more of them. Some of them seem insanely powerful, but I tried out the Griffin one (I think) and honestly didn't notice a difference.

Glorious isn't it? 3day marathon incoming

woen

I'm really tired of having to take 2 minutes loading screens x2 + additionnel horse travel time each time my swords are <50% durability. And this costs a fortune ! There's no fun here

Anyone else finding the magic tree over powered to the point of being broke. I'm on death march and it's starting to feel like cheating at level 8.

Cast Yrden Rank 2
Axii an opponent, repeat this step when outnumbered
Quen sustain for heal

I haven't found Igni and Aard very useful so far so I've ignored them.

Looking forward to my combat spec Geralt on my next play. Heavy armour seems like it has a great benefit to melee tree.

The alchemy tree seems very weak IMO. Seems like a secondary tree to the other two.

Dries

Is anyone else experiencing a small hitch/stutter in the animation when you're walking on horseback? I talking explicitly about walking, so no holding down A or X.

It looks like every second the animation has a small twitch/hitch to it.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
I'm really tired of having to take 2 minutes loading screens x2 + additionnel horse travel time each time my swords are <50% durability. And this costs a fortune ! There's no fun here

The loading is another thing.
What in the world. There was a loading thread about BB and it was just 30 seconds this game takes over 1 min to load.

I'm thinking I might need to drop the difficulty to the easiest setting which is something I never do with games like this but it might just offset the jankiness for me to not get frustrated by the terrible controls and wonky camera killing me all the time.

Chariot

You switched to KB/M on PS4?
Hmm interesting ill try it. What difficulty are you playing at?
Oh, no. I am PC gamer. Sometimes I forget that the others exist. I don't know how it works on the console, but on the PC kb+m feel definitly more responsive than controller.

And I am playing at normal, but changing the difficulty won't change how the combat feels mechanically I presume.
Do a few of the main quests in Novigrad. You'll get there eventually
Ah, thank you very much!

psychotron

Is anyone else experiencing a small hitch/stutter in the animation when you're walking on horseback? I talking explicitly about walking, so no holding down A or X.

It looks like every second the animation has a small twitch/hitch to it.

Yes, it stutters like crazy when you're just moving forward. So now I only use the horse when I want to run fast. Other than that, I'll just get off the horse and walk.

Absolutely. JC2's world is just huge, it's not very interesting at all. I was just pointing out his factual error in claiming that TW3 has the largest world of any game. It's not even close. But it might very well be the best one ever if you weigh quantity and quality together.

Agreed it depends on how the devs do it after all

woen

The loading is another thing.
What in the world. There was a loading thread about BB and it was just 30 seconds this game takes over 1 min to load.

I'm thinking I might need to drop the difficulty to the easiest setting which is something I never do with games like this but it might just offset the jankiness for me to not get frustrated by the terrible controls and wonky camera killing me all the time.

It's an accumulation, long loading (with unskippable outdated summaries) + punitive mechanic.

Anyone else finding the magic tree over powered to the point of being broke. I'm on death march and it's starting to feel like cheating at level 8.

Cast Yrden Rank 2
Axii an opponent, repeat this step when outnumbered
Quen sustain for heal

I haven't found Igni and Aard very useful so far so I've ignored them.

Looking forward to my combat spec Geralt on my next play. Heavy armour seems like it has a great benefit to melee tree.

The alchemy tree seems very weak IMO. Seems like a secondary tree to the other two.

I'm mixing/matching. 3 points in Axii for the dialogue benefits. 3 points in Aard and a fourth for the AOE blast (so awesome against wolves and dogs!), most of my other points in combat (defence for arrow deflection and heavy attack damage).

I'm betting combat feels OP later on too, with insane adrenaline gain, massive damage from heavy attacks, and parrying an attack seems like it will double the damage of a follow-up attack when defence line is upgraded. Pretty much one hit kill heavy attacks right there, especially if you're wearing heavy armour =P

I agree about alchemy seeming weak, though a lot of those toxicity benefits sounds awesome, and the decoctions themselves are already amazing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
While I'm yet to get to Skellige, question for those who have:
my gut feeling the bulk of content is in Valen due to the topography (less ocean), and the time to be spent on the Skellige Islands isn't that much. Am I right or wrong?

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Oh, no. I am PC gamer. Sometimes I forget that the others exist. I don't know how it works on the console, but on the PC kb+m feel definitly more responsive than controller.

And I am playing at normal, but changing the difficulty won't change how the combat feels mechanically I presume.
Ah, thank you very much!

The framerate is pretty horrendous on PS4 I don't know about X1.
Plus it has crazy input lag.

Nyx

Its so sluggish, so slow and animations are so odd and disjointed. W3 makes Assassins Creed feel like a Nintendo game in quality. I can understand someone saying the combat is passable and it doesn't bother them as much as me but it is in no quantifiable way great.

I think it's great, playing on ''hard''. Sorry that it doesn't click with you.

statham

Kiera :
This can play out several different ways, after the sex I follow her to the tower but didn't like the outcome , so I redid it and got a much more satisfying ending. I didn't expect it to vary so much with a secondary quest. I kept her alive and shes moving to a different town! yay! First time she threaten to tell Triss or Yenn about the hookup, so I had to do what I had to do.

psychotron

The framerate is pretty horrendous on PS4 I don't know about X1.
Plus it has crazy input lag.

His movements have a ton of input lag, but interestingly enough, the camera is extremely responsive. It's what makes the game so jarring at first. Turning the camera speed down to a level where Geralt can keep up makes it easier. It'd be nice if they worked on his responsiveness. He goes from a stand still to running like mad after a half a second wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom