• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcap

Guys, how is remote play on vita? I'm guessing it might be quite tough to read the texts, but is the performance acceptable?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
PoliteDistortedFieldmouse.gif

Hahaha wow, wtf

Kaversmed

So what's the deal with the magic, master, witcher and relic items? Do these determine the rarity of items or am I missing something here? Relic items seems like they're the most valuable ones.

patapuf

Yeah I completely agree with that but just like with Rockstar that makes the combat bad. I don’t want a game to simulate IRL I want it to play well. The reason you can get a counterattack so easily is because like I said earlier the window to get one is wide to account for how long it takes for you to switch animation cycles from a hit to a parry. There is no real free form to the combat though no real satisfaction blocking this guy, then parrying this guy and hitting him then blocking and parrying this guy because the attacks are so stilted. I just never feel like I am in a groove or rhythm with it. Because of that I just block, parry, block, block, and wait till one opening to hit a creature. Hit him dive out of the way of all incoming attacks and start over again. Going from any other game with a similar system in principle including Assassins Creed makes it feel like your playing a character in molasses. It actually kind of reminds me of the wonky combat in Uncharted 3.

Stop trying to block and parry and use doge (or roll) and more importantly use your signs and bombs.

this is not built like AC and Mordor who are built around the parry mechanic. Parry is only really useful against humans with one handed weapons and even then it's not the most efficient way to kill them. Use the abilities you are given, you won't have fun only using the sword.

Also, don't lock the camera in situations that are not 1v1.

Probably a stupid question, but does food and healing potions heal a set amount of health, or is it a percentage of your max health?

It's a percentage of your health that was lost, but it doesnt refill that percentage instantly. Also the swallow potion or any food item will continue to heal you if your taking damage in combat and will cease its healing effect when it has reached its expiration
You can increase the percentage/duration of the swallow potion by finding an upgrade for it.

How's the combat in this game? I'm interested in picking it up, but the combat in The Witcher 2 turned me off because I felt like I was being pushed into using magic and traps when I like to build my RPG characters to be melee brawlers. Is melee a little more viable in this game?

Little late on the reply here but I've found that if you explore the question marks on the map and loot what you find there it gives you the best armour in the game so far. I also heard once in a interview that crafting gives you the best armour but I haven't found any scamatic for good armour yet.
I need to do more exploring. Just finished the
Baron
quest with that crazy ass
zombie baby
. I'm only lvl 3, and the difficulty is starting to be come an issue. I probably need to level up and explore before pushing forward with the main campaign on Bones difficulty.

Ray Wonder

This game.... Opted for 3 hours of sleep again. Sitting in the office, my morning coffee isn't doing the trick. Should have pulled an all nighter and called in sick.

I wish I could get little sleep and then drink coffee to get me through the day. I get pre-ventricular contractions because I used to drink way too much caffeine. Now I can barely have a pepsi.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Stop trying to block and parry and use doge (or roll) and more importantly use your signs and bombs.

this is not built like AC and Mordor who are built around the parry mechanic. Parry is only really useful against humans with one handed weapons and even then it's not the most efficient way to kill them. Use the abilities you are given, you won't have fun only using the sword.

Yeah I have abandoned the parry.
This is basically how I am playing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWO8AIxuBVM

Hit once, get the hell out. Hit again get the hell out. Use my magic. Rinse repeat.
Its just not well done

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
How's the combat in this game? I'm interested in picking it up, but the combat in The Witcher 2 turned me off because I felt like I was being pushed into using magic and traps when I like to build my RPG characters to be melee brawlers. Is melee a little more viable in this game?

Definitely, but there are times where magic would greatly help assist on crowed control and protecting your ass, but the majority of combat will be using your Iron and Silver sword in combat and being smart on when to hit. It's definitely improved from Witcher 2 and it does have some flexibility to allow to focus on melee combat than relying on magic, especially as you focus your points on the tree.

thuGG_pl

I get the impression that this is designed to use magic, bombs, oils, potions, block and such to succeed, especially on harder difficulties. So probably isn't for you.

SomTervo

Yeah I completely agree with that but just like with Rockstar that makes the combat bad. I don’t want a game to simulate IRL I want it to play well. The reason you can get a counterattack so easily is because like I said earlier the window to get one is wide to account for how long it takes for you to switch animation cycles from a hit to a parry.

No it's not, I addressed this. The reason I can counter so well is because Geralt blocks the instant you press the button. There is literally no lag.

Also it's the movement in Rockstar's games which is messed up because of this, not the combat. And once you learn Geralt's moveset, it certainly doesn't make the combat bad. That's like saying BB's combat is bad because the attacks are unrealistically fast. It's a case of learning Geralt's moves, not complaining when he doesn't strike immediately.

There is no real free form to the combat though no real satisfaction blocking this guy, then parrying this guy and hitting him then blocking and parrying this guy because the attacks are so stilted. I just never feel like I am in a groove or rhythm with it.

Have you ever seen a fight in real life? Because it's not some free flowing, seamless thing. This is not Batman's freeflow(tm) system. This combat system is not designed to flow seamlessly and look badass. This combat tries to simulate the danger, the back and forth, the moments of tension in real fights.

Because of that I just block, parry, block, block, and wait till one opening to hit a creature. Hit him dive out of the way of all incoming attacks and start over again.

You should never be blocking/parrying against creatures. It's ineffective. You should only dodge away from creatures. Blocking/parrying is only good against humans/sword wielders. The game tells you this.

You should also constantly be using Signs to halt creatures, push them back, or protect yourself. If you're relying on your sword you are literally playing the game wrong. The devs said in an interview that you need to use Signs almost as much as your sword to do well in combat. Look at the Bestiary to see what signs an enemy is weak against. Constantly use Quen and use Ygni often.

Going from any other game with a similar system in principle including Assassins Creed makes it feel like your playing a character in molasses. It actually kind of reminds me of the wonky combat in Uncharted 3.

That's a decent comparison to UC3, which was wonky, and TW3's combat does have a sense of that. But it also gives you so many options and so many strategies that it's far deeper than UC3 could ever dream of. Also the comparison is a bit unfair – UC3's combat was very flawed and poor, I think rose tinted glasses are making UC3's seem better than it actually is. TW3's combat is hugely superior.

Bloodborne should never be mentioned in any breath along with this game. Its not even close to being a similar methodology because in Bloodborne I am not adapting the the limits of the combat system but instead understanding enemy weakness attack patterns and timing. There is no sluggishness to BB.

Everything in this game is wonky though when it comes to actually doing anything.

There is no sluggishness in TW3 either – but Geralt has to move his entire body, which is heavy, to attack. You press a button and he will immediately begin attacking – but his attack movement is a bit longer and slower. Also I think you're misremembering games again: in BB there are plenty of times when you need a strong attack which takes half a second to 'charge up'.

In TW3, against a Wyvern say, I can dodge sideways away from its strike, hit it once, then roll diagonally past it while it attacks again, then strong attack it in the back. Then roll away and throw a bomb at it, before we begin circling each other again.

You could literally replace 'TW3' in the paragraph above with 'BB', and everything I said would stand identical. TW3 uses very different systems and controls, but there are more parallels with BB than you think. I believe it has clearly inspired CDPR.

Again its nothing like the Soul games. You can't even begin to compare them.
Its a system built like Assassins Creed, Batman, and Mordor except its not done right.

I disagree. It's not trying to make easy, seamless combat like AC/BM/SoM. TW3 is trying to simulate fights a witcher would actually be in. It requires consideration, planning, positioning.

In plenty of fights you can barely attack at all and there is no focus or incentive on combos. I've no idea where you're getting this from. This is not a combo-focused, seamless system.

Not enough signs nor patience. Getting one hit is better then three with your head cut off.
Also, less rolling, more dodging.
It looks like your aproaching the combat like Mordor or the Arkham games. Took me a while to get that out of my system, too.

What this guy said.

THIS IS NOT A STRAIGHT-UP ACTION GAME.

woen

I tried meditating after killing 2 awfully disgusting Wraiths. So my meditation is interupted and FIVE wraiths are waiting me in very small room. This game.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Hit once, get the hell out. Hit again get the hell out. Use my magic. Rinse repeat.
Its just not well done
Not enough signs nor patience. Getting one hit is better then three with your head cut off.
Also, less rolling, more dodging.
It looks like your aproaching the combat like Mordor or the Arkham games. Took me a while to get that out of my system, too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Love how this game doesn't have some bullshit morality system so I'm able to do whatever I want without being a 'bad guy'.

I just killed hundreds of people to get here and because I didn't forgive Hitler and killed him I'm now an asshole? Come on now, every other RPG ever.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I just now traveled to the 2nd area and I could have stayed in the first for much longer. Exploring and traveling the land is so much fun and immersive in this game. The sounds, swaying trees, so good. This is the first game I can think of in recent memory where I never use fast travel. Last night I found myself slowly trotting to my destination without galloping, soaking it all up, I may never finish this game lol.

Barzul

Wish I new where to find ingredients. I haven't been able to make a bomb yet because no salt. I'm currently in Velen doing the Bloody Baron questline. And it's not just bombs, potions like Swallow or blade oils etc. I just don't know where to look for these flowers. Is there a guide or something? Bombs are my biggest priority now though all I'm missing is the salt.

Chariot

I tried meditating after killing 2 awfully disgusting Wraiths. So my meditation is interupted and FIVE wraiths are waiting me in very small room. This game.
You decided to meditate at a obviously haunted place. How was that a good idea in the first place?
Wish I new where to find ingredients. I haven't been able to make a bomb yet because no salt.
Just ride tothe downgrade thread, tons of salt dropped there.

Ushay

Wish I new where to find ingredients. I haven't been able to make a bomb yet because no salt. I'm currently in Velen doing the Bloody Baron questline. And it's not just bombs, potions like Swallow or blade oils etc. I just don't know where to look for these flowers. Is there a guide or something? Bombs are my biggest priority now though all I'm missing is the salt.

If you crafted them once you can just restock them when you meditate. If you can't find the materials, try to buy them from a herbalist. Think there was one on White Orchard.

Ray Wonder

damn... i couldn't live without coffee...
and beer

That's what I thought. Overall I wake up faster, and feel more awake without caffeine. It's actually nice.

I still drink lots of beer. That doesn't effect me like caffeine. Thank sweet jesus for that.

Lingitiz

Love how this game doesn't have some bullshit morality system so I'm able to do whatever I want without being a 'bad guy'.

I just killed hundreds of people to get here and because I didn't forgive Hitler and killed him I'm now an asshole? Come on now, every other RPG ever.
The game presents choices not as if the player is deciding from a moral spectrum, but with realistic choices that the character of Géralt would actually struggle with. You are truly role playing a character instead of defining everything he thinks and does.

Caja 117

You decided to meditate at a obviously haunted place. How was that a good idea in the first place?
Just ride tothe downgrade thread, tons of salt dropped there.

Dead.

For grapeshot

sAnd yeah there is a herbalist that gives you a missiotn that ells the grapeshot components, i also found salt in a bandit camp near the swamps where the drowners roam.

@Somtervo

great post, hopefully people understand this, i never had a problem with witcher 2 combat and how it actually makes u think, prepare and strategize, before the fight instead of just hacking the way trough the game.

Like a Side quest where you have to
kill a spectrer bride, the bestiality tells you what is needed to beat her

Its just not well done

Fighting human opponents in groups is extremely annoying, especially when archers are involved. You're much better off fighting them without the lock on feature.

Parrying is extremely important, dude. Without counterattacking, the chances of the opponents blocking your attack are increased. Of course you can get around their defense by sidestepping and attacking them from behind, but some enemies are quick to reposition themselves.

Blocked attacks wear down your weapon quickly if you're not getting in any hits. You'll have to repair your swords more often than you should.

SomTervo

Its just not well done

Fighting human opponents in groups is extremely annoying, especially when archers are involved. You're much better off fighting them without the lock on feature.

Parrying is extremely important, dude. Without counterattacking, the chances of the opponents blocking your attack are increased. Of course you can get around their defense by sidestepping and attacking them from behind, but some enemies are quick to reposition themselves.

Blocked attacks wear down your weapon quickly if you're not getting in any hits. You'll have to repair your swords more often than you should.

I'm okay with fighting humans in a group, especially because you can tag a lot of them from horseback when you first encounter them.

Also don't use lock-on against groups. Have no idea why everyone seems to be doing this! The game tells you near the beginning that it's not necessary to lock-on.

Countering is really easy against humans, so there's no real reason not to do it. But again, you shouldn't be countering against monsters, in case anyone is doing that. The game tells you it's counter against humans, dodge against monsters.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I completely agree with that but just like with Rockstar that makes the combat bad. I don’t want a game to simulate IRL I want it to play well. The reason you can get a counterattack so easily is because like I said earlier the window to get one is wide to account for how long it takes for you to switch animation cycles from a hit to a parry. There is no real free form to the combat though no real satisfaction blocking this guy, then parrying this guy and hitting him then blocking and parrying this guy because the attacks are so stilted. I just never feel like I am in a groove or rhythm with it. Because of that I just block, parry, block, block, and wait till one opening to hit a creature. Hit him dive out of the way of all incoming attacks and start over again. Going from any other game with a similar system in principle including Assassins Creed makes it feel like your playing a character in molasses. It actually kind of reminds me of the wonky combat in Uncharted 3.

Bloodborne should never be mentioned in any breath along with this game. Its not even close to being a similar methodology because in Bloodborne I am not adapting the the limits of the combat system but instead understanding enemy weakness attack patterns and timing. There is no sluggishness to BB.

Everything in this game is wonky though when it comes to actually doing anything.

When was the last time you had a hard time picking an item up in a game.

Again its nothing like the Soul games. You can't even begin to compare them.
Its a system built like Assassins Creed, Batman, and Mordor except its not done right.

Sounds like you need to dodge more, it's damn useful in this game (just like in BB, coincidentally). I barely ever block anything, I just dodge out of the way and then attack from the side/back.

AC, now there's a combat system that feels terrible to me. It's all animation, you don't FEEL the combat. Nothing has any impact. I guess maybe that's the problem you have with this game, but I think the combat here is vastly better (at least compared to AC4, which is the last one I played).

Oooh, so that's why people are complaining about having to repair their weapons all the time. I haven't needed to do it once yet, and I'm about 11 hours in, so I was confused. I dodge pretty much everything, almost never block, so that makes sense I guess.

Caja 117

I'm okay with fighting humans in a group, especially because you can tag a lot of them from horseback when you first encounter them.

Also don't use lock-on against groups. Have no idea why everyone seems to be doing this! The game tells you near the beginning that it's not necessary to lock-on.

Countering is really easy against humans, so there's no real reason not to do it. But again, you shouldn't be countering against monsters, in case anyone is doing that. The game tells you it's counter against humans, dodge against monsters.

Som, i got a question I noticed that the abbilities you gain you have to put the in slots, based on the amount of slots that means you can only have a total amount of 12 perks activated at one time? Any reasoning behind this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom