• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

If you crafted them once you can just restock them when you meditate. If you can't find the materials, try to buy them from a herbalist. Think there was one on White Orchard.

Guess I'm going to visit White Orchard again then. Also realized I ignored the question marks on the map, will be exploring those again while I'm down there.

The Pellar, master troll

KZw2mM1.png

SaberVulcan

Countering is really easy against humans, so there's no real reason not to do it. But again, you shouldn't be countering against monsters, in case anyone is doing that. The game tells you it's counter against humans, dodge against monsters.

Every time I counter against humans I mess it up, so I have just stuck to dodging... which was how I played Witcher 2 anyway. Quen + Rolling.

D23

Damn I hope the armor later on in the game looks bad ass because right now my guy looks like he's about to perform at a circus

SomTervo

Every time I counter against humans I mess it up, so I have just stuck to dodging... which was how I played Witcher 2 anyway. Quen + Rolling.

Fair enough. Quen + rolling is a super tactic anyway :p I got the timing down quite early and it works well for me. Basically know that they're going to do it, stand there, and pull that trigger the moment they start swinging. I ignore the red flash of their health bar, I just use the animation as a key.

Som, i got a question I noticed that the abbilities you gain you have to put the in slots, based on the amount of slots that means you can only have a total amount of 12 perks activated at one time? Any reasoning behind this?

I don't really know, man. This is a weird thing, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess this makes you really think about which abilities you will choose?

My problem is that I constantly forget to swap abilities in and out depending on my circumstances. So I love Axii for influencing dialogue, but I always forget to block it back in on my character screen.

Seems like one of the less well-thought-out aspects of the game from an ease of use perspective.

Sounds like you need to dodge more, it's damn useful in this game (just like in BB, coincidentally). I barely ever block anything, I just dodge out of the way and then attack from the side/back.

This guy gets it. I only bring up BB because the quick-step dodging is so similar and some don't seem to use it enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tips.

- Unlike other RPGs where you pick a build and roll with it (eg: mage vs fighter), all your skills and equipment and signs are useful. Don't be all "oh I don't do alchemy". You don't need to invest any points into signs and alchemy for all of these things to be immensely useful.

- With the above in mind, the skill slots are basically buffs, tweaks, or enhancements to existing stuff. That's how character building works in this. You can swap your active buffs (aka, what you've unlocked) in and out. So for example if you're doing a monster run that has zero human enemies, you could swap out your arrow deflection buff (if you've unlocked it) for some other active buff.

- Oils do not have a cooldown and will stay on your blade until you replace it with another oil. Ergo, it makes no sense not to coat your blade in something for a free buff. Your steel sword especially should be coated with the oil that enhances damage to human opponents (if you've got it).

- All alchemy (oils, bombs, potions) are permanently in your inventory once crafted. All are refilled every time you meditate. Craft everything you can as you might find it useful.

- Going back to point one: seriously, use your fucking equipment.

- butts

aku:jiki

Damn I hope the armor later on in the game looks bad ass because right now my guy looks like he's about to perform at a circus
I'm wearing a moderately badass black/red tunic right now and I haven't even been to see the bloody baron yet. At least it isn't clown-looking like the ones in White Orchard.

I can't remember where I found the diagram for it but I'm pretty sure I found a finished one in the "wandering in the dark" dungeon.

danowat

Banned
Tips.

- Unlike other RPGs where you pick a build and roll with it (eg: mage vs fighter), all your skills and equipment and signs are useful. Don't be all "oh I don't do alchemy". You don't need to invest any points into signs and alchemy for all of these things to be immensely useful.

- With the above in mind, the skill slots are basically buffs, tweaks, or enhancements to existing stuff. That's how character building works in this. You can swap your active buffs (aka, what you've unlocked) in and out. So for example if you're doing a monster run that has zero human enemies, you could swap out your arrow deflection buff (if you've unlocked it) for some other active buff.

- Oils do not have a cooldown and will stay on your blade until you replace it with another oil. Ergo, it makes no sense not to coat your blade in something for a free buff. Your steel sword especially should be coated with the oil that enhances damage to human opponents (if you've got it).

- All alchemy (oils, bombs, potions) are permanently in your inventory once crafted. All are refilled every time you meditate. Craft everything you can as you might find it useful.

- butts

Great tips :)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I wish all the potions and stuff were easier to find, like I could just click on the Potion slot and choose from a list to assign it, rather than having to find it in the inventory.

Lunar15

I've absolutely got the combat down, now. I was definitely approaching it too actiony, now I'm far more controlled. It's a ton of fun, I like the combat.

I wish all the potions and stuff were easier to find, like I could just click on the Potion slot and choose from a list to assign it, rather than having to find it in the inventory.

I really think this is one of the worst inventory management systems I've seen in an RPG in quite some time.

Zakalwe

Banned
My problem is that I constantly forget to swap abilities in and out depending on my circumstances. So I love Axii for influencing dialogue, but I always forget to block it back in on my character screen.

Seems like one of the less well-thought-out aspects of the game from an ease of use perspective.

I think it works well, although a loadout system so you could quick switch between a selction of builds would be a great addition.

SomTervo

Tips.

- butts

Yes yes yes – although I think that oils get dropped from your weapon whenever you meditate or fast travel. I've got a feeling they disappear after time, too – I put an oil before the fight with the Shrieker, had to blow him out of his lair, and by the time I got to the fight my oil was gone.

I think it works well, although a loadout system so you could quick switch between a selction of builds would be a great addition.

Good idea, that would probably fix it for me.

Serrato

Oh! For people that are missing some formulaes of bombs or potions here is a tip :

There is a Hut North of Oxenfurt in what seem to be an area with a pallisade around it. It's called the Herbalist's Hut. This guy sell many recipes.

Kamion

So, now that people have played this for a while: I'm currently contemplating my next PS4 game since I'm almost done with Bloodborne.

Should I wait until this is patched and get Dragon Age: Inquisition first, or is the PS4 version good enough(tm) to pay full price for before the framerate patch comes out?

SomTervo

Oh! For people that are missing some formulaes of bombs or potions here is a tip :

There is a Hut North of Oxenfurt in what seem to be an area with a pallisade around it. It's called the Herbalist's Hut. This guy sell many recipes.

Sick, thanks for the hint. There's never enough herbalists...

So, now that people have played this for a while: I'm currently contemplating my next PS4 game since I'm almost done with Bloodborne.

Should I wait until this is patched and get Dragon Age: Inquisition first, or is the PS4 version good enough(tm) to pay full price for before the framerate patch comes out?

Go for TW3 asap. AFAIK this is a better game than DA:I, and it runs excellently imo. Only twice have I been bothered by the performance in over 20 hours of playing. This is totally opposite to, say, AC Unity, which was so dodgy from day 1. TW3 is in a different league. It's fine and 100% playable.

Radec

Framerate feels like an AC game on my ps4.

Currently only level 4 after finishing blood baron. Gonna take a break on quest and do some sea shells first to make some easy $$$

SaberVulcan

I really think this is one of the worst inventory management systems I've seen in an RPG in quite some time.

Yeah, it's another one of those far-too-common scenarios where the combat is designed around a console controller as the primary.

which tabs are blade oils in...?
I could swear I have a few, but I can't find them.

Usable (cog wheels)

Yes yes yes – although I think that oils get dropped from your weapon whenever you meditate or fast travel, too. I've got a feeling they disappear after time, too – I put an oil before the fight with the Shrieker, had to blow him out of his lair, and by the time I got to the fight my oil was gone.

Oils dont seem to stay forever in my experience. I use grindstones/oils all the time and they definitely do not last forever.

Countering is really easy. Just watch for the opponent's health bar start to glow red, then press L2. The window period for you to successfully execute the parry is pretty generous.

The trick is to learn the variations of attacks that the human opponents has and what can be parried. For instance, you're not going to be able to parry any attack from opponents wielding a large Axe. You'll have to rely on dodging and using your signs.

I never use lock on. I want to be free to respond to enemies on the fly. It's easy to aim where you want to strike or cast a sign. And you actually need that freedom with multiple enemies to keep repositioning yourself and striking at the right moment.

I feel totally in control of the combat now after 15 hours playing. I can even take down higher level dudes. Also love how they've thrown the execution animations in, feels very natural and fluid along with the normal combat animations.

The (velen spoilers)
Cockatrice fight is pretty easy... But so far I've always screwed up somewhere around the end, allowing the fucker to get the drop on me. Should probably be more patient.

Serrato

How's this game with fetch quests?

Are there a lot?

Well, so far every quest I did even if it was just ''go kill that monster'' always have a little story around it. Some sidequests are really huge too. I don't remember getting '' go fetch me 5 Nekkers blood just because '' so far.

Kamion

Go for TW3 asap. AFAIK this is a better game than DA:I, and it runs excellently imo. Only twice have I been bothered by the performance in over 20 hours of playing. This is totally opposite to, say, AC Unity, which was so dodgy from day 1. TW3 is in a different league. It's fine and 100% playable.

Thanks for the impression. People are going crazy when it comes to performance and graphics for this game and man, you just don't know what's hyperbole and what's true.

Raptor

Ok after letting my daughter play some and ride the damn horse up north and wanting to drown him in the lake I took over and some walking later there was this kinda structure building and I instantly remembered where I saw it, it was the place where you find the Viper Steel Sword diagram ;D

Now I dont know where are the other part or the "Read the Report" part either lol.

BFIB

How do you check how many hrs you've put into the game?

I'm afraid to look. I think I'm around 10 hrs and just got
meet the Emperor and find out about Ciri

Semper88

Fellow GAF,

Where the .... do i get them swallow potions? I see you can craft but I'm missing that dwarfish something?

i'm like 3 hours in at lvl 3, begin area didn't kill the
Griffin
yet.

jackft

Neo Member
Playing with mini-map off is so awesome. I'm starting to learn White Orchard based off landmarks and it feels soooooo good.

I also love having to pause to look at the map and then try to remember the route in my head, like "left at this fork, take the small path, turn right at the ruins," etc. The world really lends itself to landmark-based navigation.

It would be nice to have a companion app, with possibility to see the whole map on your tablet / full screen.

Raxious

Anyone know a place where I can get a good steel sword for around lvl 9 / 10? Can't find any recipes except very high lvl ones.

Cathcart

Gameplay isn't important.

Of course it is, but 'janky' is a non-word for lazy people and I don't think it accurately describes the combat in W3, which I'm liking more and more every time I play it.

Now that I have a better handle on it I restarted on the highest difficulty last night and mostly caught up to where I was before the restart. I also turned the minimap off. I'm gonna be playing this game for months.

dedhead54

Question about the serpentine swords:

I either didn't pick up the emerald dust from the wraiths or I sold it, not knowing that I needed it to craft these swords. Is there anywhere else to find it? Because I have nowhere near the 500 it costs to buy it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nope. Really makes me wonder just how many various bugs there are on the PC compared to the console versions. That doesn't work, and lowering the difficulty to regain health while meditating doesn't work either. Neither does the skill that's supposed to grant you regeneration outside of combat. Even Kotaku mentioned that skill and suggested not taking it, even while playing on the higher difficulties. It doesn't actually work on the higher difficulties. At least it doesn't on PC.

The regen skill works for me on PC - it's slow though, so you really need to watch the health bar to see it tick up.

patapuf

Fellow GAF,

Where the .... do i get them swallow potions? I see you can craft but I'm missing that dwarfish something?

Griffin
yet.

They are fairly common loot but the easy way is to just buy it from a merchant. I think the Barmaid has some, so does the guy you save from the griffin. I'm pretty sure the herbalist has some as well.

Lunar15

I feel like I'm never rolling in combat anymore. Rolling is pretty much only reserved for when I'm completely overwhelmed or I'm fighting a big monster with a large swipe range, like the Gryffin. Sidestep covers almost every need, it's very effective.

The enemies are all made with highly specific attack patterns that you can exploit, and you should be using signs to limit large groups.

Enco

Well, so far every quest I did even if it was just ''go kill that monster'' always have a little story around it. Some sidequests are really huge too. I don't remember getting '' go fetch me 5 Nekkers blood just because '' so far.

Nonexistent.

They all have unique dialogue with an interesting story.
That's really cool.

I've skipped several games because I don't bother with bullshit fetch quests. I'm much more interested now.

Only played TW2 for a few hours though, so hopefully that doesn't hamper TW3.

Fellow GAF,

Griffin
yet.

Dwarfen spirit (a liquid used as an alchemy component) can be found in objects that you can loot. Search chests, boxes, drawers, baskets (pretty much anything that is highlighted yellow when you use your witcher's sense) that you come across in the world. You'll come across one eventually.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Fellow GAF,

Griffin
yet.

I think I found one in one of those campsites away from town, or just buy one from an herbalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom