• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caja 117

Fair enough. Quen + rolling is a super tactic anyway :p I got the timing down quite early and it works well for me. Basically know that they're going to do it, stand there, and pull that trigger the moment they start swinging. I ignore the red flash of their health bar, I just use the animation as a key.

I don't really know, man. This is a weird thing, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess this makes you really think about which abilities you will choose?

My problem is that I constantly forget to swap abilities in and out depending on my circumstances. So I love Axii for influencing dialogue, but I always forget to block it back in on my character screen.

Seems like one of the less well-thought-out aspects of the game from an ease of use perspective.

This guy gets it. I only bring up BB because the quick-step dodging is so similar and some don't seem to use it enough.

I guess this was made so we dont have a superman by the emd of the game, like Witcher 2 were the game is easier by the end of act 2.

I would had preffer for some permanent perks, but I guess perks will be something you have to strategize before going into battle.

Another thing about items replenishment, so stuff like oils, potions and bombs fill up after meditation taking you have alcohol gor this, It doesnt bother me, i just preffered to just make the item using the ingredients it needed, Wotcher 2 was excelent in this regards.

How's this game with fetch quests?

Are there a lot?

In about seventeen hours of exploring the countryside, only dabbling in the early story missions, I haven't found a single one. The closest I've come is an old man who swore he'd prophesy my future, but when he failed to do so he sent me into a nearby cave to find some Dragonroot so he could prophesy better, but even that was a fully-voiced, unique cutscene with a proper quest name and a nice tie-in with the lore from the books. I've never seen anything along the lines of 'bring me ten of these'.

Is anyone else having a tough time finding good steel swords at low levels? I've just been exploring everything I come across, and I've found an awesome silver sword, but I'm stuck with comparatively crummy steel ones. My silver DPS is at like 300, with steel at 150 (level 7). I've got some awesome diagrams waiting to be crafted when I reach level 13 or so, but nothing for right now. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the amazing silver sword I discovered :p

Prine

Banned
I do love the combat, slaughtering Nekkers is so damn rewarding, hate them with a passion.

Also, the combat is damn fun on hard, forces you to prepare before fights and they're always challenging no matter how weak they maybe. Get too complacent and they do what the Mountain did to Oberyn for showing off.

And hooolly shit, there's side quests within side quests ! And its meaningful story enhancing, not like that POS Dragon Age. Seriously fuck BioWare for that turd.

Chitown B

man, I really hate the combat. Getting hit with an arrow from miles away even when you are moving around, and no ability to have a shield.

then 60 seconds to load after you die.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
starting to get pissed, game was working fine, now when I load into the game the video freezes but the game and sound is still playing :/

woen

Ghost of the past sidequest

I thought Leitho, the other witcher, was dead killed against 10 low-rank soldier... Hopefully I avenged him and save his bold arse. Loved his story, also I think there was more bckground in the previous games. Sent him to Kaer Morhem, like another person. Kaer Morhem will be the new Nivegrad soon.

i love this game mang, im seeing the light after i crafted from a diagram a silver sword, not the best of the best but that +45 dmg (and stats) is making all the difference. next i need to gather more cash to buy some emerald dust and create a steel sword with awesome stats

dat red baron in deathmarch difficulty though

Ghost of the past sidequest

I thought Leitho, the other witcher, was dead killed against 10 low-rank soldier... Hopefully I avenged him and save his bold arse. Loved his story, also I think there was more bckground in the previous games. Sent him to Kaer Morhem, like another person. Kaer Morhem will be the new Nivegrad soon.

Was NOT expecting to run into him there, haha. That was a nice surprise and a fun quest.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Tips.

- Unlike other RPGs where you pick a build and roll with it (eg: mage vs fighter), all your skills and equipment and signs are useful. Don't be all "oh I don't do alchemy". You don't need to invest any points into signs and alchemy for all of these things to be immensely useful.

- With the above in mind, the skill slots are basically buffs, tweaks, or enhancements to existing stuff. That's how character building works in this. You can swap your active buffs (aka, what you've unlocked) in and out. So for example if you're doing a monster run that has zero human enemies, you could swap out your arrow deflection buff (if you've unlocked it) for some other active buff.

- Oils do not have a cooldown and will stay on your blade until you replace it with another oil. Ergo, it makes no sense not to coat your blade in something for a free buff. Your steel sword especially should be coated with the oil that enhances damage to human opponents (if you've got it).

- All alchemy (oils, bombs, potions) are permanently in your inventory once crafted. All are refilled every time you meditate. Craft everything you can as you might find it useful.

- Going back to point one: seriously, use your fucking equipment.

- butts

Very handy, thanks

dedhead54

Is anyone else having a tough time finding good steel swords at low levels? I've just been exploring everything I come across, and I've found an awesome silver sword, but I'm stuck with comparatively crummy steel ones. My silver DPS is at like 300, with steel at 150 (level 7). I've got some awesome diagrams waiting to be crafted when I reach level 13 or so, but nothing for right now. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the amazing silver sword I discovered :p

I'm currently at level 8 and my best silver sword is 201dps and steel is 173dps. I feel vastly underprepared right now but I am severely lacking money to craft anything, and my only good diagrams are for level 10 or up. Not sure what to do, really.

Eric WK

Just catching up with the overnight posts in the thread and Chariot's quest to find a bath has been nothing short of harrowing.

I finished White Orchard last night. Playing without the minimap is fantastic, but I think I may turn POIs off, as well. Prior to the final fight I ran from ? to ? trying to finish everything before leaving. I think I may shift to exploring on my own most of the time and just turn on POIs at the end to make sure I haven't missed anything.

At work so I can't elaborate, but this really is an amazing, special game.

i love this game mang, im seeing the light after i crafted from a diagram a silver sword, not the best of the best but that +45 dmg (and stats) is making all the difference. next i need to gather more cash to buy some emerald dust and create a steel sword with awesome stats

dat red baron in deathmarch difficulty though

You can get emerald dust by killing wraiths. Save your money dude and go slay some spectres!

Caja 117

How do you check how many hrs you've put into the game?

I'm afraid to look. I think I'm around 10 hrs and just got
meet the Emperor and find out about Ciri

For me this counter is broken, I have it in xbox one and I usually never quit the game so is always running in the background.

TheFatMan

In about seventeen hours of exploring the countryside, only dabbling in the early story missions, I haven't found a single one. The closest I've come is an old man who swore he'd prophesy my future, but when he failed to do so he sent me into a nearby cave to find some Dragonroot so he could prophesy better, but even that was a fully-voiced, unique cutscene with a proper quest name and a nice tie-in with the lore from the books. I've never seen anything along the lines of 'bring me ten of these'.

For the most part your steel sword isn't going to be as bad ass as your silver sword. Unless you have a really bad silver sword.

Aces&Eights

So, was dinking around in the new area after white orchard and I see this small brown hut. I'm like, "ooohhh, hidden camp". As I get closer it stands up. Not a tent, it's a big fucking BEAR! Jesus!

rpowelll

Neo Member
I've just gotten to the point where you can leave White Orchard, and I'm not sure if I should finish the remaining side quests there first. Is there any way to return to there after I've left?

Aces&Eights

I've just gotten to the point where you can leave White Orchard, and I'm not sure if I should finish the remaining side quests there first. Is there any way to return to there after I've left?

You can go back. Someone said that some of the quests might be gone though.

APPARENTLY you can shoot them with a crossbow underwater... but it doesn't seem like a valid strategy.

I am imagining the best way is to drive a boat nearby or something. Not sure tbh.. good question though.

Edit:

Oh, well then.

The best way I've found to deal with them is to draw their aggro one at a time and pick them off near the surface, so if you get in trouble you can just hold Circle/B and avoid drowning.

And don't forget: you can zoom/aim with the crossbow underwater as well, if the auto-aim R1 shot isn't getting them.

woen

Just got the Griffin armor. Not so hard to find and to craft (though you need to find the right blacksmith) and I believe there are prettier armors.

Is the upgrade of your current gear a good solution ? Or you better find better gears ? (I read about cat and bear gears)

Novigrad really is the BEST city in a game I have ever experienced. Has anyone managed to re-create this early screen/promo shot yet? (wondering if it is possible to get up on those roofs with the ladder and the guy repairing his roof tiles?):

Well I made a free camera in Cheat Engine so anyone could fly up there with the camera and try to replicate that shot. My guess is... no. They changed a lot since that trailer. Still, might be interesting to try. But at the pace I'm going, I won't arrive there for a loooong time.

NZerker12

Seriously, fuck the
werewolf
in Wild at Heart. It just keeps on regenerating health. When I first fought it I was doing fine because it wasn't recovering health, now i'm lucky to take it down to the first section of the bar.

level1

Have you ever seen a fight in real life? Because it's not some free flowing, seamless thing. This is not Batman's freeflow(tm) system. This combat system is not designed to flow seamlessly and look badass. This combat tries to simulate the danger, the back and forth, the moments of tension in real fights.

This, so much. Just finished the novigrad quest where you're
training Rosa van Attre.
Felt like Syrio Forel training Arya Stark in GoT..bait, dodge, twirl and smack her in the back with a wooden sword. Felt so good :D

TheFatMan

You can go back, however, some of the side quests time out when you finish the prologue I'm told. So if you want to do them, I'd suggest finishing them up before leaving. They are all fun anyways!

Drazgul

j649diz.jpg

How rare are those mats? I've a few of these low level dwarven swords and since I've no use for them, it's either sell (a decent 164 per) or dismantle.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Stop trying to block and parry and use doge (or roll) and more importantly use your signs and bombs.

this is not built like AC and Mordor who are built around the parry mechanic. Parry is only really useful against humans with one handed weapons and even then it's not the most efficient way to kill them. Use the abilities you are given, you won't have fun only using the sword.

Also, don't lock the camera in situations that are not 1v1.

Yeah I have given up playing it like any of those games like I showed in the example. I haven't been making enough use of the abilities like you said so Ill try that more.

No it's not, I addressed this. The reason I can counter so well is because Geralt blocks the instant you press the button. There is literally no lag.

≈

Have you ever seen a fight in real life? Because it's not some free flowing, seamless thing. This is not Batman's freeflow(tm) system. This combat system is not designed to flow seamlessly and look badass. This combat tries to simulate the danger, the back and forth, the moments of tension in real fights.

You should never be blocking/parrying against creatures. It's ineffective. You should only dodge away from creatures. Blocking/parrying is only good against humans/sword wielders. The game tells you this.

You should also constantly be using Signs to halt creatures, push them back, or protect yourself. If you're relying on your sword you are literally playing the game wrong. The devs said in an interview that you need to use Signs almost as much as your sword to do well in combat. Look at the Bestiary to see what signs an enemy is weak against. Constantly use Quen and use Ygni often.

That's a decent comparison to UC3, which was wonky, and TW3's combat does have a sense of that. But it also gives you so many options and so many strategies that it's far deeper than UC3 could ever dream of. Also the comparison is a bit unfair – UC3's combat was very flawed and poor, I think rose tinted glasses are making UC3's seem better than it actually is. TW3's combat is hugely superior.

There is no sluggishness in TW3 either – but Geralt has to move his entire body, which is heavy, to attack. You press a button and he will immediately begin attacking – but his attack movement is a bit longer and slower. Also I think you're misremembering games again: in BB there are plenty of times when you need a strong attack which takes half a second to 'charge up'.

In TW3, against a Wyvern say, I can dodge sideways away from its strike, hit it once, then roll diagonally past it while it attacks again, then strong attack it in the back. Then roll away and throw a bomb at it, before we begin circling each other again.

You could literally replace 'TW3' in the paragraph above with 'BB', and everything I said would stand identical. TW3 uses very different systems and controls, but there are more parallels with BB than you think. I believe it has clearly inspired CDPR.

I disagree. It's not trying to make easy, seamless combat like AC/BM/SoM. TW3 is trying to simulate fights a witcher would actually be in. It requires consideration, planning, positioning.

In plenty of fights you can barely attack at all and there is no focus or incentive on combos. I've no idea where you're getting this from. This is not a combo-focused, seamless system.

What this guy said.

THIS IS NOT A STRAIGHT-UP ACTION GAME.

Why do you keep bringing a real life fight up as if it's a good thing? The game doesn't give me a sense of panic or fear like a Dark Souls or BB does because it is so heavy and slow. Its just frustrating. Also Batman which probably does freeform combat the best is by no means easy but it is extremely well executed. Much like Uncharted 3 they sacrificed animation cycles for quick inputs and that to me is a bad system.
I am taking a video right now where you can see how slow Geralt reacts after any button press or joystick movement. Analyzing it like this put a lot of my complaints into context because it is so heavy and slow, plus like I said earlier the camera is probably the worst camera in a game I have seen in a long time.

When picking an item up off the ground is a large task because of how hard it is to move your character to the triggered spot it shouldn't be surprising that lack of polish extends to all aspects of the game most notably the combat.

The comparisons to Bloodborne and Souls again make no sense. Those are both games where the whole structure and pace is built perfectly around responsive character movement and systems. Even though Souls is a heavy slow game never once does that game not feel responsive. If I get hit in either its terrible timing on my part. Both of those games have a superior style of movement that lets you address any threat accordingly.

A perfect example for how bad the combat is in W3 is this.
You come upon a group of humans with an archer in the back. The archer is constantly sniping you.
Show me a video of you successfully circumnavigating the guys with swords with the camera forcing you to be centered on each one of them, while dodging the arrows flinging at you, to take out the archer.

I think the story, characters and visuals are absolutely top notch but I think you guys give it a free pass because of how high the production values are.

Aces&Eights

Seriously, fuck the
werewolf
in Wild at Heart. It just keeps on regenerating health. When I first fought it I was doing fine because it wasn't recovering health, now i'm lucky to take it down to the first section of the bar.

Pro tip: when you get down to his lair just go slow to aggro him towards you. Then, switch sides with him. Your back to his nest and his to the way you came in. Use fire on him them attack 3-4, dodge back. He will swipe and miss. Once he gets to half health you have his path blocked to go heal. Stay on him with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom