• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
witcher3_2015_05_22_154som.png

witcher3_2015_05_22_1dzs1h.png

This game constantly floored me with its arts. Yeah it's art now, not graphics anymore.
This is the game that perfectly nails the image of a fairy tale country side for me.

So, so damn good.

I run for hours just taking in the scenery. Found some cool shits and got robbed.

Also, do you guys think that the quest
Little
Red is a reference to
The Little Red Riding Hood
folktale?

Yes, it is really like a painting just about everywhere you go and that is no exaggeration.

I think you can mix and match no problems. No real set bonuses. You can spec into getting bonus depending on how many light or medium or heavy pieces you are wearing though so if you have that perk you should probably stick to all of one weight of armor.

That's what i figured, a little disappointing though. Set bonuses would've been a cool incentive to hunt down the different pieces of armor or weapons.

Ghost23

That is the sort of look I am after. Where can I find this armor? So sick of brown and mustard, with green and blue pants and gold boots. I love the game, but most of the early armor choices are just fugly.

Look up griffin armor. It's the first set armor you can go after at level 8. To get these sets you have to do treasure hunts throughout the world to find the diagrams. To upgrade, you'll have to do more treasure hunts to find find the upgraded diagrams, though to make the upgraded version you need the previous set before it.

The armor in the picture, the bear armor, is armor you can find later in the game.

woen

I looked up at the several consequences you can have with the choice at the end of the Ladies of Woods quest...Wow, I would have never thought it would have that impact.
The children or the wife's baron ? True dilemma. You don't know what's true or what might be the outcome though.

I would have never thought that the Ladies of the Wood looked like this, great great character design.

SomTervo

Yeah I have given up playing it like any of those games like I showed in the example. I haven't been making enough use of the abilities like you said so Ill try that more.

Why do you keep bringing a real life fight up as if it's a good thing? The game doesn't give me a sense of panic or fear like a Dark Souls or BB does because it is so heavy and slow. Its just frustrating. Also Batman which probably does freeform combat the best is by no means easy but it is extremely well executed. Much like Uncharted 3 they sacrificed animation cycles for quick inputs and that to me is a bad system.

Because I enjoy it. I like that the combat is realistic. I like it when combat is unrealistic and superfast like BB/Souls, too, but not in this game.

In this game the combat's realistic difficulty and design matches the world, characters and missions perfectly. It matches that it's a naturalistic game – naturalistic meaning trying to match a realistic interpretation of fiction.

I am taking a video right now where you can see how slow Geralt reacts after any button press or joystick movement. Analyzing it like this put a lot of my complaints into context because it is so heavy and slow, plus like I said earlier the camera is probably the worst camera in a game I have seen in a long time.

When picking an item up off the ground is a large task because of how hard it is to move your character to the triggered spot it shouldn't be surprising that lack of polish extends to all aspects of the game most notably the combat.

Picking up items is camera related – I agree this is an issue but it's irrelevant to the combat-only discussion.

The camera is totally great imo. Looks amazing, shows you what you need to.

The comparisons to Bloodborne and Souls again make no sense. Those are both games where the whole structure and pace is built perfectly around responsive character movement and systems. Even though Souls is a heavy slow game never once does that game not feel responsive. If I get hit in either its terrible timing on my part. Both of those games have a superior style of movement that lets you address any threat accordingly.

In TW3, some enemies strike quickly and dangerously. You tap O on PS4, and you sidestep immediately out of the way. You have utmost control and it's perfectly responsive.

This is just like Bloodborne.

Aside from that, you're absolutely right, there's basically no comparison. But that quick dodging system is almost 1:1 from BB. Not the other Souls games - only BB.

They do have far more responsive movement animations and fast attacks – but the movement looks ridiculous and floaty (I know people who are put off by this in Souls) and the attacks are designed for speed rather than realism. This would look ridiculous in TW3.

A perfect example for how bad the combat is in W3 is this.
You come upon a group of humans with an archer in the back. The archer is constantly sniping you.
Show me a video of you successfully circumnavigating the guys with swords with the camera forcing you to be centered on each one of them, while dodging the arrows flinging at you, to take out the archer.

You're locking onto the humans? Why are you locking onto them? The camera will do nothing but increase FOV when you're in a fight. Just run past the group towards the archer, Axii your horse to calm him, hold Light Attack button to slow time while you slice the archer.

Done.

I think the story, characters and visuals are absolutely top notch but I think you guys give it a free pass because of how high the production values are.

Well, I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of people here are saying the combat is great, albeit difficulty. Quite a few people are having issues with it, though, so there is some merit to what you're saying. I do think they could improve it. But as it is it's still a great, albeit too complicated, system imo.

ironcreed

Banned
Look up griffin armor. It's the first set armor you can go after at level 8. To get these sets you have to do treasure hunts throughout the world to find the diagrams. To upgrade, you'll have to do more treasure hunts to find find the upgraded diagrams, though to make the upgraded version you need the previous set before it.

The armor in the picture, the bear armor, is armor you can find later in the game.

I am level 13 and have not found diagrams for griffin, bear or any armor of the like. Only ugly as sin jester suit looking gear. Time to rectify that.

Starviper

It's really crazy the value of a game like W3 or BB when you realize just how much time you can spend in the world.

Next time I purchase a $60 linear ten hour game, i'm going to think back to these stellar experiences.

Yep. Why would I pay 60 bucks for something like The Order when I can get something like this instead?

Kyaw

witcher3_2015_05_22_154som.png

witcher3_2015_05_22_1dzs1h.png

This game constantly floored me with its arts. Yeah it's art now, not graphics anymore.
This is the game that perfectly nails the image of a fairy tale country side for me.

So, so damn good.

I run for hours just taking in the scenery. Found some cool shits and got robbed.

Also, do you guys think that the quest
Little
Red is a reference to
The Little Red Riding Hood
folktale?

What sweetFX settings bro?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
How do you roll again, X? (Using the 360 controller on the PC.)

Also for mounted combat, what's the best way of hitting people on the ground? Can you even lock on to them?

BFIB

Now that I have a little better understanding on how the crafting, alchemy, and skill sets work, I'm thinking of starting over again.

Mainly because I just got out of White Orchard, so I'd lose around 10 hrs, not that I mind, as the game is a blast to play.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Last night I sat on my horse for like 5 minutes watching the sun set, then spend another 5 minutes just walking thorugh the forest, listening to the trees and the animals.

I felt like I was walking the Appalachian Trail. Just so god damn immersive.

Yeah, it really is. Can't be arsed to use the fast travel, trotting about on horseback is just too good in this game.

GOG have removed witcher 3 from my account but then again i bought the game through a VPN

Wow, that's quite drastic. The game is DRM-free so I wonder why'd they even bother, once you downloaded it there you've got it. Did you use the Ukraine one that many others did as well?

TMC

Is there any update on the Dirty Funds side quest? Picked it up yesterday, but I remember hearing people say it was glitched. Anyone complete this without issue?

Ok, I need help, fellow Witchers. I love this game so far but I suck complete shit at the combat.

I've gone through the tutorial twice and something is not clicking. Regular enemies are taking chunks off my health. They break through my defensive stance like I might as well not even use it. Shit, even a drunkard I got in a fist fight with did some damage.

And I'm playing on the easiest setting. :{

Any protips you guys can give me? This is giving me more trouble than fucking Dark Souls.

Chariot

Nithral
was super easy once I remembered there is a dodge button. I kept rolling on my first attempt, but that didn't go so well.
Guys, this kind of spoilers make no sense. Give a hint to what you spoiler or don't spoiler at all. I've seen that numerous time in this thread and others and it's no very helping for those who don't want to be spoiled.
Ok, I need help, fellow Witchers. I love this game so far but I suck complete shit at the combat.

I've gone through the tutorial twice and something is not clicking. Regular enemies are taking chunks off my health. They break through my defensive stance like I might as well not even use it. Shit, even a drunkard I got in a fist fight with did some damage.

And I'm playing on the easiest setting. :{

Any protips you guys can give me? This is giving me more trouble than fucking Dark Souls.
Dodge. Roll. Dodge. Roll. You're not a tank and your sword is not a shield.

iNvid02

Is there any update on the Dirty Funds side quest? Picked it up yesterday, but I remember hearing people say it was glitched. Anyone complete this without issue?

glicthed for me too, stumbled upon the bandit camp and chest before reading the note and it got stuck in quest log. not a big deal, considering the scope of this game there has been hardly any major bugs or annoyances which is commendable.

pakkit

Banned
Question about Delusion levels (in the Axii skill tree): Do you have to have the Axii upgrade equipped to use it in dialogue?

Pastry

Banned
glicthed for me too, stumbled upon the bandit camp and chest before reading the note and it got stuck in quest log. not a big deal, considering the scope of this game there has been hardly any major bugs or annoyances which is commendable.

Glitched for me also, so is another treasure hunt from that area.

artsi

The sun seems to be coming up unusually early in my game - like around 3am. Is that normal? Lol

It's normal and plausible since Temeria is in north.

Here in northern parts of Finland the sun never even sets in the midsummer. And even in southern parts it starts to rise after 3AM.

Chariot

anyone play with music off? or lowered down to like 50? i love the sound of the wind, trees, and the ambient
Interesting idea, but I think I dig the OST too much. It's subtle enough most of the time and in combat it really pumps me up. And when "Ladies in the Woods" played in a certain swamp, I had goosebumbs.

SomTervo

Interesting idea, but I think I dig the OST too much. It's subtle enough most of the time and in combat it really pumps me up. And when "Ladies in the Woods" played in a certain swamp, I had goosebumbs.

Same.

Without music it must be wonderful but standout tunes like LitW are just too good to pass up.

Thinking of doing a purist playthrough in the future when I replay this. HUD off, music off, Death March difficulty.

Nbz

Hey guys, still very early on in the game. Trying to find Drowner Brains to brew Swallow, but everytime I kill some Drowners, they don't drop anything. Anyone know an easy way to get Drowners Brains (certain merchant that sells them for instance?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom