• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this normal, that I still only have the silver sword from the beginning ? I am having problems to beat jenny from the woods.

I can craft two silver swords, but they're for level 12 and 13... Did I miss something ?
Well yes. There are weapon schematics all throughout hidden areas. Also in plenty of missions paths diverge and a lot of the time exploring you find new shit.

If I use my Witcher 2 save file instead of choosing to simulate a new one, does that mean I'll miss that cutscene where you recap what happens in the last game? Like the interview type scene I think people are talking about when you make W2 choices if you hadn't played it. I don't really want to miss any scenes or dialogue.

Aces&Eights

Is this normal, that I still only have the silver sword from the beginning ? I am having problems to beat jenny from the woods.

I can craft two silver swords, but they're for level 12 and 13... Did I miss something ?

After I arrived at the first, real area after White Orchard I met the person at the inn. After doing the next quest or two I got to a village that was
frozen from the Wild Hunt
after leaving that area and heading back to the inn I came upon a small village. The blacksmith there can craft a Silver sword that jumped up my damage about 35%. Thing is bad ass.

matmanx1

With 8GB of RAM installed and the 1.03 patch I am finally staying over 30fps often enough that the game feels playable to me now. I road around White Orchard checking out the points of interest along the map and trying to get comfortable with the kb/mouse controls in combat.

Sword + dodge roll + frequent use of signs seems to be the ticket for monsters. The coolest moment I had was probably using Igni to set a bear on fire which then set a small tree on fire next to him. All of a sudden there's a small conflagration and the bear is taking damage over time from the flames.

That said I still need a GPU upgrade. My performance is no better than the console versions at this point and I have several settings at low or medium. I want to be able to crank those up and stay comfortably above 30fps and I'm going to need more horsepower in my rig to do that.

Did you find the viper sword diagrams in White Orchard?

Well yes. There are weapon schematics all throughout hidden areas. Also in plenty of missions paths diverge and a lot of the time exploring you find new shit.

After I arrived at the first, real area after White Orchard I met the person at the inn. After doing the next quest or two I got to a village that was
frozen from the Wild Hunt
after leaving that area and heading back to the inn I came upon a small village. The blacksmith there can craft a Silver sword that jumped up my damage about 35%. Thing is bad ass.

Thanks, in my memory I did everything in White Orchard, no quests and question marks left.
As I mentioned, I have two schematics for silverswords, but those are for level 12 and 13.

psychotron

Asked this before. If you pick simulated save, when are you questioned about the events of Witcher 2? I picked it and have been doing side missions before the Griffon fight, and it hasn't come up yet.

SaberVulcan

Griffin armor is medium armor that focuses on sign intensity. I don't have bear or cat yet, but I believe best armor is heavy armor, and cat is light.

They provide different passive bonuses I believe. Something like this, can't verify ingame right now but:

Light = +Armor, +Stamina regen
Medium = ++Armor, +Sign Intensity
Heavy = +++Armor

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thanks, in my memory I did everything in White Orchard, no quests and question marks left.
As I mentioned, I have two schematics for silverswords, but those are for level 12 and 13.

The Viper silver sword can definitely be used at low levels. I'm only level 4 or 5, and I'm using it.

Then you should have a serpentine silver sword diagram which is a serious upgrade over your original silver sword. If not, here is how to get it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36m9fv/guide_this_is_how_you_obtain_the_serpentine_steel/

It's part of a treasure hunt quest for special Witcher gear.

Majukun

Tbh all you need in this game is the shield lol.. Fuck dodging.. Tank everything.. Use the shield and push and become Pain from Naruto.

yeah,that's the frst gliph that i have updated since the beginning :p
now i'm waiting to unlock exra slots though..it's a shame that I can only use 3 of them ATM

Kinthalis

Banned
Last night I sat on my horse for like 5 minutes watching the sun set, then spend another 5 minutes just walking thorugh the forest, listening to the trees and the animals.

I felt like I was walking the Appalachian Trail. Just so god damn immersive.

jett

D-Member
Someone explain some of these dumb-ass decisions:

1.- Why is the re-sale value of your loot complete garbage? The fuck is this! Same as the other two games. I never understood it. I haven't made the exactly calculation but it seems to be around 20% of the actual value.

2.- Why does the PC version only recognize a trigger press when you've pressed it all the way down? This is fucking me over with parries.

3.- Why is there not even an option for a hold and release sign radial menu like in TW2? It's really annoying the way it is right now, in the middle of battle.

Starviper

the_witcher_3_wild_huntbear_armour.jpg

That is amazing.

dlauv

If anyone cares to instruct me: where do I get the respec potion?

I'm considering turning the game down from death march at level 10 because it's just far too punishing: it feels like a geninuine "challenge mode" rather than a difficulty setting to complete the game in full with (not saying it isn't possible). I'm not terribly into magic, so I don't think I'd enjoy getting op with it.

The combat feels a lot like a very punishing punch out in 1v1 vs hard monsters. But against groups it's kind of a hat toss. Die, reload, die, reload. Humans and most monsters aren't really the problem, but enemies with dashing chains of attacks, like drowners, water hags, and foglets are very difficult in groups. They have irregular attack patterns too. Dying in four hits can come in the blink of an eye, quen seems to go out when dodging sometimes, and while dodging Geralt can become stuck on geometry or trapped into a corner easily(
forefather's Eve quest
).

I'd rather not turn it down from death march but I would like some tips on optimization or general combat tips. I use oils, chew through tons of food and swallow potions, I use spells regularly, but against groups of faster enemies that charge a lot, casting usually isn't worth the time spent, and I never seem to know when to use a heavy attack without risk. If enemies had more of a tell when attacking most of my problems would be alleviated. I know there's an alchemy stat that slows down time when they're about to attack but that requires more potions than I usually have on me.

I started Witcher 2 on Dark and although it took a bit I really became fairly adept at the combat system. Here, I just feel somewhat lost. Like in Oblivion or Skyrim when you're trying to cheese out much higher leveled enemies.

zkorejo

Love this armor. I have another one with better stats, but this is the second best (1st one is the starting armor) looking armor I have found in this game until now.

vc3MqNC.jpg

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
If anyone cares to instruct me: where do I get the respec potion?

I'm considering turning the game down from death march at level 10 because it's just far too punishing: it feels like a geninuine "challenge mode" rather than a difficulty setting to complete the game in full with (not saying it isn't possible). I'm not terribly into magic, so I don't think I'd enjoy getting op with it.

The combat feels a lot like a very punishing punch out in 1v1 vs hard monsters. But against groups it's kind of a hat toss. Die, reload, die, reload. Humans and most monsters aren't really the problem, but enemies with dashing chains of attacks, like drowners, water hags, and foglets are very difficult in groups. They have irregular attack patterns too. Dying in four hits can come in the blink of an eye, quen seems to go out when dodging sometimes, and while dodging Geralt can become stuck on geometry or trapped into a corner easily(
forefather's Eve quest
).

I'd rather not turn it down from death march but I would like some tips on optimization or general combat tips. I use spells regularly, but against groups of faster enemies that charge a lot, casting usually isn't worth the time spent.

I started Witcher 2 on Dark and although it took a bit I really became fairly adept at the combat system. Here, I just feel somewhat lost. Like in Oblivion or Skyrim when you're trying to cheese out much higher leveled enemies.

Item Location as well as Character spoilers around 10 hours in:
Keira sells it after her first quest for 1k gold IIRC

Kinthalis

Banned

1.- Why is the re-sale value of your loot complete garbage? The fuck is this! Same as the other two games. I never understood it. I haven't made the exactly calculation but it seems to be around 20% of the actual value.

2.- Why does the PC version only recognize a trigger press when you've pressed it all the way down? This is fucking me over with parries.

3.- Why is there not even an option for a hold and release sign radial menu like in TW2? It's really annoying the way it is right now, in the middle of battle.

The radial menu is why I'm considering just swithcing to keyboard and mouse for this game. Hot keying is just so much awesome.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Radial menu sucked in W2 (you couldn't just point to something with the analog stick, but had to move over to it step by step), better here but still not great. Hold and release should definitely be possible.

Ghost of the past sidequest

I thought Leitho, the other witcher, was dead killed against 10 low-rank soldier... Hopefully I avenged him and save his bold arse. Loved his story, also I think there was more bckground in the previous games. Sent him to Kaer Morhem, like another person. Kaer Morhem will be the new Nivegrad soon.

Regarding this side quest

if you let it play out and told the soldiers that he is dead and you convince them just to take his medallion instead of his head, you save letho regardless since he is still alive with the added bonus of him being a free man not being pursued by nilfgard and others anymore. That's how I played Mine out. He was thankful I did that and I sent him to kaer morhem as you did too.

I've put hours into this already but feel like I'm not really gone anywhere. Still in the starting area. Not even touched the main story yet. So much to do and the map is beautiful. Just exploring it all.

Sorian

Banned
Quoting myself from last page...

I think you can mix and match no problems. No real set bonuses. You can spec into getting bonus depending on how many light or medium or heavy pieces you are wearing though so if you have that perk you should probably stick to all of one weight of armor.

SomTervo

Seriously, fuck the
werewolf
in Wild at Heart. It just keeps on regenerating health. When I first fought it I was doing fine because it wasn't recovering health, now i'm lucky to take it down to the first section of the bar.

Use Dancing Star bombs.

Beat him down with Quen and Igni and Grapeshot. Dodge a lot.

The instant he starts that regen shit, Dancing Star him, run in, get lots of hits in.

He's a total son of a bitch. Ygen or whatever, the trap one, helps a lot too.

If you can find the appropriate Oil, that will help.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Broken Flowers quest:
My gut is telling me that owl is Philippa Eilhart

Zoltan's voice actor is so, so fucking good. The exchanges between him and Geralt are wonderful.

mileS

Tip for horseback combat. If you hold down square (x) light attack while riding you charge an attack. Where this comes in most handy is when you ride past something at a decent speed, it slows down time quite considerably allowing you to release the charged attack much easier. Try it out and practice it some. I went from fumbling and relying on pure luck with the horse combat to taking out 2-3 humans in one swing if they stay close together. Lock on can help a bit with this too but isn't required. Also remember the in game tip, if your horse is going fast and you connect with someone you have a very high chance of an instant kill.

Another tip I have is for underwater movement. Hold up on your movement stick, hold X (or A) for your speed, and while holding both of those just adjust yourself with square(x) or circle (b) And obviously if you need to turn a bit you tilt the stick while still holding forward. Soooooo much easier now. Hope these help some people!

For a new page in case people missed it :) Happy hunting!

witcher3_2015_05_22_154som.png

witcher3_2015_05_22_1dzs1h.png

This game constantly floored me with its arts. Yeah it's art now, not graphics anymore.
This is the game that perfectly nails the image of a fairy tale country side for me.

So, so damn good.

I run for hours just taking in the scenery. Found some cool shits and got robbed.

Also, do you guys think that the quest
Little
Red is a reference to
The Little Red Riding Hood
folktale?

Don't stress about it too much, just play the game the way you want to play. If you want to fuck off and go do side missions, then do them! The main quests level you up rapidly so if you have side missions around you level you should do them, once you start to get left with side missions that are a bit too high level for you, play a chunk of the story and you'll gain a few levels.

Yeah, probably best I just get on with it and play my own way rather than worrying. Thanks! If I miss anything, these games are good enough that they warrant multiple playthroughs anyway. I'm definitely a bit underleveled doing just the side quests so the main ones should help me out, but the game has been oddly forgiving when taking on enemies that are higher level than me. It certainly takes more patience, but I find it much more fun and rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom