• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone playing on PC with the GoG version need to nearly triple the volume for it to be identical to your other games? It's a little annoying...

How can i make bombs? Buying formulas from a vendor I suppose? I need to make some for that noonwraith quest near White Orchard, but I have no plans for it.

Also, I tried to fight it yesterday while being lvl 1 (she was 3), and my Yrden trap(which is supposed to be strong against her) didn't do shit. Is it because i'm 2 lvls too low?

Hey guys, still very early on in the game. Trying to find Drowner Brains to brew Swallow, but everytime I kill some Drowners, they don't drop anything. Anyone know an easy way to get Drowners Brains (certain merchant that sells them for instance?)

Keep killing Drowners, it's a random drop. I was struggling finding some at first too, but then I killed a group of 4 and they all drop a brain. Go figure.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Anyone playing on PC with the GoG version need to nearly triple the volume for it to be identical to your other games? It's a little annoying...

How can i make bombs? Buying formulas from a vendor I suppose? I need to make some for that noonwraith quest near White Orchard, but I have no plans for it.

Also, I tried to fight it yesterday while being lvl 1 (she was 3), and my Yrden trap(which is supposed to be strong against her) didn't do shit. Is it because i'm 2 lvls too low?

Did you oil your sword? That fight went fairly quickly for me, never bothered with the bomb.

Chariot

I think he literally just erases the words lmao
lol okay, poor smithy. And that for only 3 crowns.

Thinking of doing a purist playthrough in the future when I replay this. HUD off, music off, Death March difficulty.
Wow! Should be a mode in the game or give an achievement. Sounds amazing!

Basic Yrden generally just slows enemies. However beings with a weakness like her take a lot more damage (me thinks like 10 times) than you would do regulary.

The trap won't actually hold her in place. It gives her a physical body that you can then damage. You can kill her at level 1, just put down your trap sign and fight her while she's in the circle. If she leaves it you can't damage her.

pakkit

Banned
anyone play with music off? or lowered down to like 50? i love the sound of the wind, trees, and the ambient

I lowered it to 45. The OST is incredible, to be sure, but I wish the devs have been a little more sparing in its application. This is one instance where RDR has the upper hand.

Also, ever since someone here pointed it out, the fact that Geralt's hair tosses like there's a windstorm inside houses is pretty annoying. I'm curious if Hairworks fixes that.

Pastry

Banned

Yrden doesn't do damage against the noonwraith but allows you to attack it inside the circle. At least I think that's how it works.

Chariot

Yeah. How do you do this when the honeycomb is above you though? Igni has no upwards spread. Shoot it down with the crossbow...?
Just used it in the general direction, worked good.
You only need one btw. Once you brew potions/oil/bombs they are in your inventory for good and refill once you meditate. You just need to use one hard alcohol to refill them all.
Nothing wrong with killing more Drowners. Those fishy demons jsut asking to be splattered on the ground.

Sitting here at work just thinking about playing.

Fuck, this has been such an unproductive week for me. Just been sitting here reading Witcher 3 threads.

PRAISE THE LORD FOR THE THREE DAY WEEKEND.

Because I enjoy it. I like that the combat is realistic. I like it when combat is unrealistic and superfast like BB/Souls, too, but not in this game.
Snip.

Just want to chime in to say that I agree with you regarding the combat. The length of animation to get a hit clearly depends on my positioning relative to the creature I am fighting. I prefer this to an immediate response swing which would have caused me to swing and miss.

When there are groups, it comes down to positioning again. I try to align myself so that I place three or four enemies in a 45 degree V in front of me and use Igni. If the enemies are the "teleporting type", I usually use Yrden and position myself with my back to it but out of the range of anything that could get trapped in it. If all else fails, I use Aard and run away.

Nbz

You only need one btw. Once you brew potions/oil/bombs they are in your inventory for good and refill once you meditate. You just need to use one hard alcohol to refill them all.

Oh snap that's great. Witcher 2 didn't work like that as far as I can recall. Some nice optimisation

epmode

Yeah, the volume is pretty low for me too. Except for the sound you hear after dying and the Load Save Game appears. That drum thing is LOUD.

Tacitus_

Heh

2QniIaJ.png

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Super annoying combat thing:

Going into Witcher mode when sword is drawn but combat hasn't initiated. Bandits see me from a mile off, start shooting arrows at me but there's nothing I can do to avoid them because I can't parry.

End up having to charge in, initiate combat, then run away again so I can parry. Pretty silly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do you roll again, X? (Using the 360 controller on the PC.)

Also for mounted combat, what's the best way of hitting people on the ground? Can you even lock on to them?

Roll would be A on a 360 controller. But usually you should dodge (B) rather than roll. Quicker, doesn't use any stamina, and sets you up perfectly for the next strike. Rolling is mostly for when you really need to get the hell out of the way.

When on horseback, hold down the attack button to slow down time and line up your strike, then release to attack.

Oh snap that's great. Witcher 2 didn't work like that as far as I can recall. Some nice optimisation

Yeah, I never played Witcher 2 but everyone I know that played it are raving about this improvement. Much more streamlined and I'm finding myself use these items a lot since I can just refill them easily.

Nothing wrong with killing more Drowners. Those fishy demons jsut asking to be splattered on the ground.

Hey I wasn't advocating not killing Drowners, in fact I encourage it! Just sayin he only needs one brain for Swallows.

omonimo

Banned
Genuine question: why fps suffer so much in the ps4 version when rain in the swamp area? I don't get it. I can't see anything of particular demanding in such graphical effect. I don't see any wet shader or what else. That's really weird. This area it's completely fine without the rain. I need to meditate to avoid this issue. I hope CD will fix this problem faster because it's quite annoying.

aku:jiki

Oh, man, this sunken treasure quest is a bit of a nightmare due to the horrible swimming. Why did they put in this shit where Geralt tries to kick away from objects automatically? Such a bad idea. Time for attempt 3...

I just played for a bit and
helped some kids by giving them food, she gave a me a doll, does that do anything? any particular story arc its related to?
A doll is a junk item. Notice how that event wasn't a quest and didn't you give XP or anything either. It was just a little event you can come across.

Scandinavian summer bro. During the solstice the sun barely dips below the horizon.

It's normal and plausible since Temeria is in north.

Here in northern parts of Finland the sun never even sets in the midsummer. And even in southern parts it starts to rise after 3AM.

Some parts of Europe the sun can rise between 3-4 AM during summer and set 9-10 PM.
themoreyouknow.jpg
Had no idea!

Prine

Banned
This game is a labour if love, the small details in this game continue to blow me away, and we all should encourage and congratulate the devs for pushing for excellence. The writing and facial animation in particular is superb, each character doesn't just say their lines, they act it out. So many varied faces, voices connected with clever lines. Unlike most open world games or RPGs, the interactive NPCs offer ALOT, i for the first time in any game know, that opening a conversation will offer meaningful banter, even if its not progressing the quest. Love this game so much.

CDPR are one of the finest studios in the industry, man i hope they're protected and rewarded. You dont get games of this kind often.

I'm having trouble with the Devil that Haunts the Well quest.
The wraith woman won't appear for me, and I've already searched the area, picked up the diary, hoisted the skeletal remains out of the well, and jumped into the well and retrieved the bracelet.

It's not activating for me.

I'm having trouble with the Devil that Haunts the Well quest.
The wraith woman won't appear for me, and I've already searched the area, picked up the diary, hoisted the skeletal remains out of the well, and jumped into the well and retrieved the bracelet.

It's not activating for me.

Meditate until noon

Edit also did you put the bracelet on the body and burn it?

I was so on the fence on whether or not to buy this game. I was really reluctant after dragon age inquisition screwed me over with its phenomenal reviews yet boring story, gameplay, and dialogue. Witcher 3 though is absolutely amazing, one of the best game purchases I have made in a long time. It was worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom