• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game world is very engrossing and draws you in, but the usability, control and interface issues are really dire. I'd played the previous two Witcher games so I kind of knew what to expect, but it's ridiculous the game has gotten a pass in so many reviews for issues that are obviously going to turn off a lot of players.

One thing I will say is that a lot of people playing the PS4 version are complaining about load times, but they've seemed totally fine to me. I'm playing a digital copy and have a SSHD in my PS4, so between this and how Bloodborne's load times were at launch, I can't recommend upgrading your HD enough. Now if only the console versions had a way to turn off the intro movies and plot movie every time you load the game...

I'm having a hard time with something. I want to explore everything, but I remember that this game scales weapon and armor stats on pick-ups to your level.

How have you guys been handling this?

Is there any fix for the XP loss in blood and broken bones? I like alot about the difficulty but ceirtantly not that. Gets pretty tiring having to change to medium every time i turn in a quest.

Aces&Eights

I'm having a hard time with something. I want to explore everything, but I remember that this game scales weapon and armor stats on pick-ups to your level.

I was worried as well but as I adventure out and find hidden treasure spots they are protected by monsters 15 levels higher than me. That tells me I need to come back later. Those suckers one shot you.

SaberVulcan

Is there any fix for the XP loss in blood and broken bones? I like alot about the difficulty but ceirtantly not that. Gets pretty tiring having to change to medium every time i turn in a quest.

is it an intentional decrease of XP or a bug?

Either way, sounds like something a mod should be able to adjust.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Just wrapped up the "Family Matters" quest

The crones were amazing, design and writing-wise.
This game continues to top itself. I'm pretty sure I'll regret my decisions, but then again I've felt that way throughout this whole playthrough. After a lot of thought I've decided just to do what seems right & accept the outcome, see where things go.

I don't envy publishers that have to follow this act. The bar has been raised. A lot.

Zakalwe

Banned
How's this game with fetch quests?

Are there a lot?

Depends what you conaider fetch quests. There's really no way to avoid that design in a game like this, what I can tell you is the game does an excellent job of disguising them or littering them with character interaction and little story threads so they don't feel like a chore.

I don't understand why people were mad at Keira. I understand her motives.
Sure she got that one poor guy killed--but he did cause the royal family to die so I don't care. I told her to go to Kaer Morhen for safety and took the notes away from her.

is it an intentional decrease of XP or a bug?

Either way, sounds like something a mod should be able to adjust.

It's intentional, developers claims they want you to focus more on your items, like a witcher does. But i really wanna play around with the different skills since the whole system reminds me of Dragons dogma so much, so i'm keeping myself on medium at every end of a quest to make sure i get the proper xp amount. I mean fuck, i could survive if they only gave you 75% but they give you half. HALF. HELL NO

Does it really? I didn't know that, but I haven't really found that to a problem. I've found some pretty awesome swords and some pretty lame ones, and it seems like most of the better weapon and armour diagrams are restricted to higher levels. That would explain why the named steel sword I got at the end of a particularly interesting quest ('Of Dairy and Darkness', if anyone recognises that) turned out to be no better than the one I'd found hours before, though.

SaberVulcan

Intentional.

It's intentional, developers claims they want you to focus more on your items, like a witcher does. But i really wanna play around with the different skills since the whole system reminds me of Dragons dogma so much, so i'm keeping myself on medium at every end of a quest to make sure i get the proper xp amount. I mean fuck, i could survive if they only gave you 75% but they give you half. HALF. HELL NO

Ah... yeah that seems like a weird way to handle an increase in difficulty. It removes some of the fun of the game by limiting progression...

I don't imagine you're alone feeling this way, hell I feel that way and I am not even playing on that difficulty. I imagine there is a string somewhere that says something like QuestExperience*(.5) someone could edit in a mod... or you could tinker with in the .ini file.

Majukun

game became overwhelming really fast after the first map...the map i so vast that "traveling for fun" is not an option,because you end up trabeling for minutes without meeting anything interesting...se you just jump from one "point of interests" to the other..and this makes you less "immersed" in the world of the game..This is one of the cases where less is more,the first map was ok-ish in size..this is just too much

also,the placement of enemies doesn't make much sense..one moment you are fightining level 5 wolves...you travel to a POI narby and there's a dozen level 13 nekkers out of nowhere

void666

Banned
I was hating the combat at first. But then i got the hang of it. I was so confident i set the difficulty to blood and broken bones (hard). So far so good.

I dare saying that the combat is actually pretty good in this game.
Yesterday i had a fight against a swarm of endregas 3 levels higher than me. And it was very fun.

KorrZ

game became overwhelming really fast after the first map...the map i so vast that "traveling for fun" is not an option,because you end up trabeling for minutes without meeting anything interesting...se you just jump from one "point of interests" to the other..and this makes you less "immersed" in the world of the game..This is one of the cases where less is more,the first map was ok-ish in size..this is just too much

also,the placement of enemies doesn't make much sense..one moment you are fightining level 5 wolves...you travel to a POI narby and there's a dozen level 13 nekkers out of nowhere

I've played the entire 20 hours I've played so far like this actually, so it's definitely an option. Monsters nests and the "points of interest" are not the only interesting things to find in this world. Beautiful vistas, places to loot all over the map.

mauaus

Loving the game on PS4, framerate can be a little iffy but not gamebreaking. Anyways i feel like im leveling up slowly on the broken bones (?) difficulty but i am avoiding the main quest like the plague...
Any way to level faster?

Nyx

Loving the game on PS4, framerate can be a little iffy but not gamebreaking. Anyways i feel like im leveling up slowly on the broken bones (?) difficulty but i am avoiding the main quest like the plague...
Any way to level faster?

Yes, do main quests. :p

I've played the entire 20 hours I've played so far like this actually, so it's definitely an option. Monsters nests and the "points of interest" are not the only interesting things to find in this world. Beautiful vistas, places to loot all over the map.

Me too. I turned off the points of interest on the map in the first few minutes of the game, and I've just been exploring as I please. I feel like I'm constantly coming across neat stuff. I'll probably turn the POIs back on when I'm done with the main story and I just want to find all the cool stuff out there, but for now I'm loving just picking a direction and riding until I find something neat.

Majukun

on the first map,i agree...
on the second though..too much space before finding anything interesting..being either "vistas" or something to loot...the environment doesn't help either since it's mostly country and small villages until you reach novigrad

Ghost23

Do the upgraded armors look different than the original? For example, does the enhanced griffin armor look different than the base griffin armor?

Raptor

Is not that I think the combat is bad but I do think its learning curve is a bit steep for me, I seriously need to learn when exactly to dodge, basically I need better reflexes and positioning.

Got killed almost instantly at my first drowners encounter lol, playing on hard.

level1

Do the upgraded armors look different than the original? For example, does the enhanced griffin armor look different than the base griffin armor?

There are pictures of 4 tiers of griffin armor in the CE art book.

Upgraded version looks hella more badass

the_witcher_3_wild_huntbear_armour.jpg

Sanctuary

So where can I get beast oil? I have the rest of the oils and even the enhanced version of beast, but I can't make it without the base oil.

I reached Velen yesterday and just explored and did side quests while barely touching the "Nilfgaardian Connection" quest. Some of them have been really rich, but after visiting most of the points of interest and doing the side quests that are my level in the western half I feel like it's long overdue to return to the story. Haven't been able to touch the notice board where the Baron lives because I haven't progressed the main story, I'm at least gonna do that for sure the next time I fire up the game but I'm unsure how far I should go before I start getting locked out of certain side quests which i've heard is possible. Is there any rough guide or order I should do it in?

I mean, it seems like there's more I can still do whilst ignoring the main story and according to the map it's even possible for me to go to Novigrad early (I got the pass) but I think that might hurt the pacing if the main questline is supposed to send me there first... or maybe it doesn't? Just a guess. And there's so much more to do in the eastern half as well which is massive, for that I only went as far as the quest where you meet (big spoiler)
Letho
which was amazing after only finishing Witcher 2 a couple weeks ago. I wasn't expecting to run into anything like that this early in. I also loved the Wild At Heart quest.

But yeah, any advice? I'd just do what I think is right and go at my own pace which I'm sure you're supposed to do, but the idea I might miss something makes me paranoid even though it's probably designed that way on purpose to encourage replayability. I mean, some of these side quests are so good i'd kind of be gutted if I finish it and read online later that I missed something really cool because I progressed a main quest too early. So overwhelming!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Annoying, repeatable bug I've noticed in the PS4 version:

When it's raining and I load the game the raindrops no longer render. You can still hear the rain and see the droplets on the ground

Whenever I die in the rain now I just meditate until the weather changes because it's really distracting :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
which tabs are blade oils in...?
I could swear I have a few, but I can't find them.

On the "usable items" tab, along with everything else you can use. That part of the game is a bit of a mess, honestly.

zlatko

Banned
Without trying to find the answer to a question I posted:

At what point in the game will it ask you to recap your Witcher 2 adventure? I'm on PS4, and played W2 on PC...so I'm just curious when I will get to create the illusion of that save data.

SaberVulcan

At what point in the game will it ask you to recap your Witcher 2 adventure? I'm on PS4, and played W2 on PC...so I'm just curious when I will get to create the illusion of that save data.

As soon as you finish White Orchard*(the tutorial zone)

Immediately after you leave the prologue, White Orchard.

edit: beaten

Aces&Eights

So where can I get beast oil? I have the rest of the oils and even the enhanced version of beast, but I can't make it without the base oil.

In the area where you do the
Werewolf
quest. If you are at the
cabin where the werewolf lives (underneath it)
then simply go north and you will see two question marks on the map. At the end of the road there are some
Harpes
. Kill them and there is a chest. In the chest is beast oil.

Is this normal, that I still only have the silver sword from the beginning ? I am having problems to beat jenny from the woods.

I can craft two silver swords, but they're for level 12 and 13... Did I miss something ?

mileS

Tip for horseback combat. If you hold down square (x) light attack while riding you charge an attack. Where this comes in most handy is when you ride past something at a decent speed, it slows down time quite considerably allowing you to release the charged attack much easier. Try it out and practice it some. I went from fumbling and relying on pure luck with the horse combat to taking out 2-3 humans in one swing if they stay close together. Lock on can help a bit with this too but isn't required. Also remember the in game tip, if your horse is going fast and you connect with someone you have a very high chance of an instant kill.

Another tip I have is for underwater movement. Hold up on your movement stick, hold X (or A) for your speed, and while holding both of those just adjust yourself with square(x) or circle (b) And obviously if you need to turn a bit you tilt the stick while still holding forward. Soooooo much easier now. Hope these help some people!

KorrZ

I reached Velen yesterday and just explored and did side quests while barely touching the "Nilfgaardian Connection" quest. Some of them have been really rich, but after visiting most of the points of interest and doing the side quests that are my level in the western half I feel like it's long overdue to return to the story. Haven't been able to touch the notice board where the Baron lives because I haven't progressed the main story, I'm at least gonna do that for sure the next time I fire up the game but I'm unsure how far I should go before I start getting locked out of certain side quests which i've heard is possible. Is there any rough guide or order I should do it in?

I mean, it seems like there's more I can still do whilst ignoring the main story and according to the map it's even possible for me to go to Novigrad early (I got the pass) but I think that might hurt the pacing if the main questline is supposed to send me there first... or maybe it doesn't? Just a guess. And there's so much more to do in the eastern half as well which is massive, for that I only went as far as the quest where you meet (big spoiler)
Letho
which was amazing after only finishing Witcher 2 a couple weeks ago. I wasn't expecting to run into anything like that this early in. I also loved the Wild At Heart quest.

But yeah, any advice? I'd just do what I think is right and go at my own pace which I'm sure you're supposed to do, but the idea I might miss something makes me paranoid even though it's probably designed that way on purpose to encourage replayability. I mean, some of these side quests are so good i'd kind of be gutted if I finish it and read online later that I missed something really cool because I progressed a main quest too early. So overwhelming!

Don't stress about it too much, just play the game the way you want to play. If you want to fuck off and go do side missions, then do them! The main quests level you up rapidly so if you have side missions around you level you should do them, once you start to get left with side missions that are a bit too high level for you, play a chunk of the story and you'll gain a few levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom