• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the weapon degradation complains, is it just me or they degrade super slowly ? I also have a ton of repair kits from exploring, not really an issue

I've only found one repair kit, and it was for armor, during my ~12 hours I've spent. It just sucks having to find a place to repair when you're out on a quest. If anything, the repair kits should be much more available, whether by drops or from merchants. Especially when it seems it takes only an hour or so before I have to repair again.

Chariot

Well in most RPGs relics are the strongest items, and as far as I know that is also the case in the Witcher.(I think only relics have 3 rune slots, but I'm not sure)

Not to mention that all(most) of the relics are named, which would imply that they are famous swords.

For your theory to be true, most of the relic weapons should be useless and only a handful great.

All of this is actually based on the dark ages, when the older swords were better because the barbarian smiths were in no way comparable to the smiths of Ancient Rome and Greece. That is way most of the famous swords of that area are old ass swords, that have mythical origins. (like Excalibur)
Well, yes. When we go for gamey explanations it sure is weird. However I don't think all relics are really named. But the relic weapons don't need to be useless. It's in the name, they are relics from a former time. We encounter all kind of them, pretty weak low level relic weapons and equipment up to high ones.

I don't know much about roman swords versus medieval, but in the middle ages the countries of middleeurope weren't barbarians anymore and the crown of Italy belonged for the most part to some german king. Correct me if I am wrong, because I could be, but that is what still buzzes in my head.

ironcreed

Banned
To those of you complaining about the fat jester armor, why don't you just use the free Temerian dlc armor?
03SyQGE.jpg

I have been so busy doing other things in the world that I still have not gone back to get it. I will today, plus get the griffin set and will probably go after the bear gear as well for when I level up. No more Easter egg fat suits for me.

TheRed

Is the griffin armor something I should come across via quests or is it in a more random location that's discovered via exploration? I am level 10, still in velen with some side quests still to do before I head to Novigrad.
Not sure how I got the quest but I did and that's how I found it. Sure you can just find it without the quest though.

I have been so busy doing other things in the world that I still have not gone back to get it. I will today, plus get the griffin set and will probably go after the bear gear as well for when I level up. No more Easter egg fat suits for me.

its in the white orchard right? How much in game currency is it?

Chariot

i did that too. I remember passing back by there a few days later and seeing a huge bear across the street from that spot lol. Hope they survived.
I like that you can investigate the area and see a detail for the kids brutal survival.
Really love the detail in the game.

Reebot

Returning character from Witcher 2 spoiler:

Dissapointed in how they wrote
Letho this time. In Witcher 2 you could tell he was playing dumb and actually far smarter then he ever let on. In most scenes, Letho was bored or indignant, having outsmarted his foes before they even arrived. It was a really great direction to take a character who looked like a "mountain of meat," since it played against both the audiences and the character's expectations.

Now he's lost almost all of that cunning. He's portrayed as far more bloodthirsty and rash. I liked the old Letho.

Grep

Banned
Is there any hope for normal 3rd person camera?
Literally, it was the worst part with W2, and it was fixed with a mod later on.
Now it repeats.

Caja 117

To those of you complaining about the fat jester armor, why don't you just use the free Temerian dlc armor?
03SyQGE.jpg

Do I have to met a certain criteria to wear it? I Donwloaded the DLC, but the set is not in the my inventory. Note that Im still in White Orchard, Im taking my sweat time, this game is so good I dont want it to ever end.

Chariot

Is there any hope for normal 3rd person camera?
Literally, it was the worst part with W2, and it was fixed with a mod later on.
Now it repeats.
You mean with "normal" the one were the player character is in one corner instead in the center?
Do I have to met a certain criteria to wear it? I Donwloaded the DLC, but the set is not in the my inventory. Note that Im still in White Orchard, Im taking my sweat time, this game is so good I dont want it to ever end.

Where can you find the dlc once it is downloaded?
Go to the merchant you saved at the beginning. He is selling the armor piece by piece.

Bytes

I wish there was a beard option for some "I haven't shaved in a day or two" stubble without a full grown beard.

That said, my Geralt is rocking his full beard and long, flowing hairstyle.

Well, yes. When we go for gamey explanations it sure is weird. However I don't think all relics are really named. But the relic weapons don't need to be useless. It's in the name, they are relics from a former time. We encounter all kind of them, pretty weak low level relic weapons and equipment up to high ones.

I don't know much about roman swords versus medieval, but in the middle ages the countries of middleeurope weren't barbarians anymore and the crown of Italy belonged for the most part to some german king. Correct me if I am wrong, because I could be, but that is what still buzzes in my head.

Yeah, the sword quality difference was true in the early dark ages, but it then transferred into legends and tales and so kept going forever. However, the truth was that most swords of that area were of about the same quality as the roman ones, not to mention that most roman swords turned to rust by that time so it wasn't like you could do anything with them.

Actually I think that every single relic sword in The Witcher 3 is named. I haven't seen a single one that isn't.

I believe you need to be at least level 4 to wear it.
Where can you find the dlc once it is downloaded?
The merchant with the bowl cut that you saved sells the armor as well as horse blinders, saddlebags, and saddle.

Aegus

Is the griffin armor something I should come across via quests or is it in a more random location that's discovered via exploration? I am level 10, still in velen with some side quests still to do before I head to Novigrad.

I think you buy maps from armourers/blacksmiths for sets. Usually something like "Map McMaperson's First Map", which then starts the questline for it. You actually don't need to buy the maps, but they'll tell you where you need to go.

I picked up some Mastercrafted Ursine armour diagrams, but I don't have the basic or enhanced sets yet...

Caja 117

You mean with "normal" the one were the player character is in one corner instead in the center?

Go to the merchant you saved at the beginning. He is selling the armor piece by piece.

Ohhh, thank you, I forgot about that guy, I dont know where he is, so Im going to look for him. Up to explore some more.

To my disappointment when I went to White Orchard to pick up my DLC goodies I assumed they'd be free. Well I at least had enough money to buy some saddlebags.

Virdix

Answering in case it hasn't been answered in the next couple pages, check merchants for sheets of paper labeled as maps :)

Chariot

http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=96

This is what I mean.

Geralt is glued to the screen and it bother me pretty much. He can only unglue himself when he fights?!?
Oh! I didn't notice that so far. Now I probably won't be able to not see it.
Damn. :(

I got it since White Orchard. Either you start with it or get it somewhere obvious.

Yeah, the sword quality difference was true in the early dark ages, but it then transferred into legends and tales and so kept going forever. However, the truth was that most swords of that area were of about the same quality as the roman ones, not to mention that most roman swords turned to rust by that time so it wasn't like you could do anything with them.

Actually I think that every single relic sword in The Witcher 3 is named. I haven't seen a single one that isn't.
Well, I am going to ahve look out for that next session.

Jolkien

Which armor between cat, griffin and bear do you think is the best in Death March ?

It really depend on your playstyle. Cat if you prefer fast attack, griffin for a mix and sign casting and bear for mostly heavy attack.

When I get it I'm going for the bear, i'm running a light armor build at the moment until I find it, when I do I'll change my spec to an heavy one. I'm playing on death march as well ;)

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Because I enjoy it. I like that the combat is realistic. I like it when combat is unrealistic and superfast like BB/Souls, too, but not in this game.

In this game the combat's realistic difficulty and design matches the world, characters and missions perfectly. It matches that it's a naturalistic game – naturalistic meaning trying to match a realistic interpretation of fiction.

Picking up items is camera related – I agree this is an issue but it's irrelevant to the combat-only discussion.

The camera is totally great imo. Looks amazing, shows you what you need to.

In TW3, some enemies strike quickly and dangerously. You tap O on PS4, and you sidestep immediately out of the way. You have utmost control and it's perfectly responsive.

This is just like Bloodborne.

Aside from that, you're absolutely right, there's basically no comparison. But that quick dodging system is almost 1:1 from BB. Not the other Souls games - only BB.

They do have far more responsive movement animations and fast attacks – but the movement looks ridiculous and floaty (I know people who are put off by this in Souls) and the attacks are designed for speed rather than realism. This would look ridiculous in TW3.

You're locking onto the humans? Why are you locking onto them? The camera will do nothing but increase FOV when you're in a fight. Just run past the group towards the archer, Axii your horse to calm him, hold Light Attack button to slow time while you slice the archer.

Done.

Well, I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of people here are saying the combat is great, albeit difficulty. Quite a few people are having issues with it, though, so there is some merit to what you're saying. I do think they could improve it. But as it is it's still a great, albeit too complicated, system imo.

First I really appreciate you taking the time to post all that. Even though I disagree its great to see where your coming from.

As far as the human archer section I'm not locking on. You know how Geralt automatically centers to face the closest threat. Thats what I mean. I can't just run toward the arrow guy dodging everyone around me. Its like I'm waltzing with each enemy till I can get close enough to strike.

I can understand people liking the slow pace of the combat but imo its a terrible system and shows that CDRP have no idea what they are doing when it actually comes to the mechanics of these games. I was just watching some Witcher 2 combat videos and it looks really similar to W3 so it looks like they are just sticking to their guns with this.

I think the story, characters and visuals are absolutely top notch but I think you guys give it a free pass because of how high the production values are.

+

The controls are pretty shit, and it sure has a lot of people on the defensive about it. At this point I would have appreciated if they just kept swimming out of the game all together. Sweet jesus....

+

The controls are pretty shit, and it sure has a lot of people on the defensive about it. At this point I would have appreciated if they just kept swimming out of the game all together. Sweet jesus....

What are people struggling with regarding swimming? The controls are straightforward enough.

I personally had more trouble in GTA5, and to this day I don't remember how to surface in that game.

The Witcher 3 would benefit so much from a audio preset for the official headsets on PS4. Any recommandations from Gold Headset wearers in here? I'm trying to find the perfect balance for the game, maybe the preset for Far Cry 4? Watch Dogs? Seeing how they both open worlds, it might be good.

void666

Banned
First I really appreciate you taking the time to post all that. Even though I disagree its great to see where your coming from.

As far as the human archer section I'm not locking on. You know how Geralt automatically centers to face the closest threat. Thats what I mean. I can't just run toward the arrow guy dodging everyone around me. Its like I'm waltzing with each enemy till I can get close enough to strike.

I can understand people liking the slow pace of the combat but imo its a terrible system and shows that CDRP have no idea what they are doing when it actually comes to the mechanics of these games. I was just watching some Witcher 2 combat videos and it looks really similar to W3 so it looks like they are just sticking to their guns with this.

Well, that's exactly what i do. Dodge away from enemies surrounding me if i have to, hold run button and kill the archer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom