• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
+

The controls are pretty shit, and it sure has a lot of people on the defensive about it. At this point I would have appreciated if they just kept swimming out of the game all together. Sweet jesus....

But not everyone has problems with the way it plays. The gameplay feels great to me and swimming handles fine as well. If I am having no issues, then I can't complain about it.

Acinixys

Coming to post a tip

When you go with Keira Metz for the first time
into the cave system to try find where Ciri has gone, you can get an epic quality silver sword.

After you fight and defeat the Wild Hunt warrior, go with her to the elves study and get her to give you the illusion dispelling stone.

Then ran back to the back of the cave, break the wall in the left corner with your magic and dispel the illusionary wall. You will get 4 chests in that hidden area. Including one with said epic sword.

It's crazy that the level cap is level 70 and I'm only at level 7 and I have put many hours in this game, this game is huge.

I know that feel

I just hit level 6 and im 13 hours in

Reebot

+

The controls are pretty shit, and it sure has a lot of people on the defensive about it. At this point I would have appreciated if they just kept swimming out of the game all together. Sweet jesus....

Yeah, I wish people were more honest about the game's shortcomings. Insisting everything is great all of the time only makes you look foolish and puts off newcomers who can clearly see the faults.

I'll never understand swimming control schemes in games with camera control that aren't one button to dive, same button to emerge, left stick to move in whatever direction you want, right stick camera control. Holding the button to dive further is nonsense, especially when it doesn't work properly and makes the camera go berserk, and character to keep shifting his direction.

LOL!

Get killed by an alghoul at a lost outpost.
Load the save, instantly gets liberated for no reason even though I saw the Alghoul for a moment.
Go in the camp and loot boxes like I usually would.
Piss off the camp because it's actually nilfardian now.

dex3108

Man W3 bummed me out :( First issue was that quest Dirty Funds wasn't marked done when i found what i should find because i didn't read letter before i found item. But ok that was fixed reloading save and loosing only 15 minutes.

Then i saw that one quest was marked as failed and it was marked failed because i had item in my inventory that i should gain doing that small quest. That way i missed few dialogue options and cutscenes. :(

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I wish people were more honest about the game's shortcomings. Insisting everything is great all of the time only makes you look foolish and puts off newcomers who can clearly see the faults.

I am a fool if I have no issues with the way it plays? Okay.

The only shortcomings for me are some of the load times and some frame dips here and there. Everything else has been great. I can only complain about what affects me.

Reebot

I am a fool if I have no issues with the way it plays? Okay.

The only shortcomings for me are some of the load times and some frame dips here and there. Everything else has been great. I can only complain about what affects me.

That's not what I said and you know it.

Skulldead

Man W3 bummed me out :( First issue was that quest Dirty Funds wasn't marked done when i found what i should find because i didn't read letter before i found item. But ok that was fixed reloading save and loosing only 15 minutes.

Then i saw that one quest was marked as failed and it was marked failed because i had item in my inventory that i should gain doing that small quest. That way i missed few dialogue options and cutscenes. :(

This is one of the reason I'm waiting for a patch... this is a weird weird design to active quest just by advancing to the wrong place at the right moment.

mf.luder

I'm impressed by many, many things in this game but last night I was riding Roach through the woods during a rain/windstorm and I couldn't believe how immersive it was. I truly felt in the game and thought I was out in the middle of a forest.

I honestly don't think that the combat is that bad, it's not fast as bloodborne sure, but then you would completely ignore the potions and the signs.

I think his movement in battle is ok, his regular movement is a bit clunky though.

The swimming controls can go die in a fire, on that I agree.

Reebot

looks like everyone is enjoying this game. would you guys say this game is so far game of the year?

Tie between this and Bloodborne, I'd give top marks to both.

I honestly don't think that the combat is that bad, it's not fast as bloodborne sure, but then you would completely ignore the potions and the signs.

I think his movement in battle is ok, his regular movement is a bit clunky though.

The swimming controls can go die in a fire, on that I agree.

Yeah, I'm not saying everyone has to hate it at all. But can't deny some janky controls.

I think standardizing animations during combat would be a huge step in the right direction - maybe a total fix unto itself. As it stands, the randomness kills a lot of the in-fight tactics since you literally cannot know exact what Geralt will do whenever you hit a button.

CoolOff

So is my game bugged? I'm on the witch part of the two part mission you get when you first arrive in Velen, running around with said witch, and we're following some signs to find a certain someone. We arrived in a room with
a few of those signs and a basin in the center (that kills me if I jump in it), and a few false ones that triggered defense mechanisms. I had one that exploded in my face and two doppelganger-wraiths that I killed
, but I can't seem to progress from here at all?

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Well, that's exactly what i do. Dodge away from enemies surrounding me if i have to, hold run button and kill the archer.

In order to do that you have to clear the "ENGAGE ZONE" and circumnavigate the back side to hit the archer which will only work if the other enemies haven't repositioned themselves again.

Another example of how awful the player movement is.: If you happen to be anywhere where the environment presents you a strategic advantage i.e gas clouds an whatnot. Maneuvering yourself away from the enemy and also into a position where you can successfully make use of these traps is torture.

Pachimari

I'm now starting up the game for real. And having watched the intro, I'm not sure I understand the whole "spheres" thing going on.

Anyway, which difficulty should I choose if I want little challenge, but not too much?, because I always quit my games if I get stuck. And should I simulate answers from Witcher 2? As I don't have a save game from that game.

Are there any low level witcher contracts? The only one I found was level 14.

I'm now starting up the game for real. And having watched the intro, I'm not sure I understand the whole "spheres" thing going on.

Anyway, which difficulty should I choose if I want little challenge, but not too much?, because I always quit my games if I get stuck. And should I simulate answers from Witcher 2? As I don't have a save game from that game.

Im playing on normal and it's pretty challenging. Not frustrating though.

So is my game bugged? I'm on the witch part of the two part mission you get when you first arrive in Velen, running around with said witch, and we're following some signs to find a certain someone. We arrived in a room with
a few of those signs and a basin in the center (that kills me if I jump in it), and a few false ones that triggered defense mechanisms. I had one that exploded in my face and two doppelganger-wraiths that I killed

As far as I remember
there is water at the bottom of the well/basin and the sign is on one of the rocks when you fall in the well

It's just like how multiversity works in comics, several different universes collided and creatures came through.

I suggest Blood and Broken bones difficulty, it's not that hard but not too easy, you can change difficulty at anytime so it's not a big issue. And yeah you should simulate if you have any knowledge of the story in the Witcher 2.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
looks like everyone is enjoying this game. would you guys say this game is so far game of the year?

Not even close for me. BB is miles ahead of this in about every area.
The production value and visuals are amazing though.

I have a feeling once the visual splendor has worn off on people you will have a lot more retrospectives on how mediocre the actual gameplay is. I don't know if that happened with other games in the series but considering how they were praised for their new benchmarks in graphics first and foremost I wouldn't be surprised.

Spoiler question for early "merchant" quest that I failed:

the merchant who lied about how he was attacked, got away on horse WAY before I was able to call my horse, mount, and even get started. Kinda bullshit the way they set that up honestly. Pretty much impossible unless you have your horse there at the ready before triggering the cutscene. Anyway, if I just leave that quest as "failed" are there any consequences beyond not receiving the XP?

Tacitus_

So far (50 hours in) I've failed what.. one quest? And that was because I completed a different quest that gave me the intel I needed. I don't think you can fail a quest just by buggering off to somewhere else. One dude waited for me for almost 10 levels and this was a "we must go there right now" quest.

El Jaffe

Jump in again. I died the first time too lol. You're supposed to land in straight up water but prob hit a bit of land that was sticking out and died like me.

abundant

As far as I remember
there is water at the bottom of the well/basin and the sign is on one of the rocks when you fall in the well

This is correct. Just be warned that there's a chance that you may get the Infinite Loading bug during this quest. It happened to me and the only way I could fix it was to revert back to an old save.

El Jaffe

Does anybody know the percentage of XP is taken away from playing on hard difficulty. Been playing on that since the beginning and am at lvl 15, just curious where I'd be at if I played on Normal.

dex3108

This is what i see in my Quest Log now

ltuUeCX.jpg

Just because i got item before i even started that quest. It killed my exploration spirit :(

M.W.

Not even close for me. BB is miles ahead of this in about every area.
The production value and visuals are amazing though.

I have a feeling once the visual splendor has worn off on people you will have a lot more retrospectives on how mediocre the actual gameplay is. I don't know if that happened with other games in the series but considering how they were praised for their new benchmarks in graphics first and foremost I wouldn't be surprised.
The gameplay is fine. This is a solid ass game.

Jolkien

Hah just finished a witcher contract in velen
Shrieker
I went from getting destroyed my first few attempt to besting it without getting hit once I learned all the patterns. I love this combat system, remind me to souls game, same satisfaction at beating bosses.

At the end of Keira's quest line, what happens if
you don't kill her and side with her?

Is it wrong that I think NIlfgaard is a lot better than barbaric Temeria?

Both are shit. Milfguard is full of racist assholes and Temeria is full of lazy drunks.

At the end of Keira's quest line, what happens if
you don't kill her and side with her?

Does this happen before or after the romance? If after, then you can convince her to not go to Radovid and get killed, and tell her to go to Kaer Moerhen and also take the notes from her willingly.

BTW. Why are you monsters killing her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom