• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
Holy shit, leveling takes FOREVER. I never played a game where getting XP took this long.

It gets better. Once you start beasting contracts and side quests you level up quickly. I'm level 24 and level up fairly quick. Also make sure you use one of the contract trophies that give you extra XP.

Chariot

Yes you do? If you don't want to waste your special ones just un-equip them.

Yes you do (have infinite bolts)....
Ooooh...
I might have sold them. Because I only have limtied special bols atm. Well, that was dumb. Is there a way to get a new stack of infinity bolts somewhere? Because I sure as hell can't remember who I sold my bolts to after I went through the land in a gwen induced rampage.
I just reread my post and I don't mean to come across as snarky. Sorry if it did.
Eh, you didn't, don't worry ;)
How did you guys choose to end Wild at Heart?
gxrfWrE.gif

I let him kill the woman.

loving this gane so far but i wish there was a guide that would let me know what is worth selling and what is worth dismantling or keeping.

im selling armor and awords but all that other junk in the other tabs is really taking up space. i dont know what i should hold on to tho

Sorian

Banned
Ooooh...
I might have sold them. Because I only have limtied special bols atm. Well, that was dumb. Is there a way to get a new stack of infinity bolts somewhere? Because I sure as hell can't remember who I sold my bolts to after I went through the land in a gwen induced rampage.

Nah, un-equip your special bolts. Leave the slot empty. If there is nothing slotted you use just an infinite supply of regular bolts.

So about the Yrden upgrades...

Effect: Increases Sign duration by 5 seconds. Number of alternate mode charges: 2. Number of standard mode traps: 1. Stamina regeneration in combat +0.5/s

What does 'number of alternate mode charges' mean?

Serrato

Something that's going completely over my head is armor upgrading. I saw in a loading screen tip that I can upgrade my Witcher armor; how does that work exactly?

I've bought a couple of different armors, they pretty much all look rediculous so I want to keep rocking the default armor.

At some point you're either gonna stumble on hidden cache or find map that lead to Crafting Design for Witcher Armor Set (I think there is 3 sets, maybe more) and each of them have 3 upgrades after that (so each piece need to be crafted 4 times before having the ultimate version)

This include Silver and Steel sword and even the Crossbow for some.

Just finished Return to Croockback Bog

I'm don't think it ended well. Red Baron hanged himself out of grief, the curse was a trap and there was no way of saving the life of his wife. I decided to free the spirit which saved the orphans but damned the Baron's life at that moment. I could sympathise with every character involved in this quest ie; THe Baron, the murdered Dyrad, Anna and her daughter. The Red Baron was genuinely sorry for what he did. He was a cool dude when he's all sobered up.

Man the consequences really hit hard. I feel bad

Yep this is my feeling. Seeing the
wife died made me feel sad but seeing the baron on the tree
literally made me blurt out no no no what the fuck.

BTW OP, you're killing me here. Your save gave me a dead Letho.

I'm sorry I have no idea how it happened.

The 0613 save file has letho dead, and the 0612 has him alive... I had to restart the game when I found this out, and I changed the file in the OP to just have 0612.

So annoying, I'm sorry.

Neverfade

The standard weak bolts are infinite, but any crafted stronger bolts are finite which is slightly annoying (the infinite standard bolts, I mean.)

Pretty sure he's aware of that. Its still moot. The basic bolts do considerably more damage underwater to make up for the fact that you can't attack any other way.

Sorian

Banned

The 0613 save file has letho dead, and the 0612 has him alive... I had to restart the game when I found this out, and I changed the file in the OP to just have 0612.

So annoying, I'm sorry.

Hmm, I assume I picked 0613 then thinking it was the most recent file. Do you know if the rest of that file is how it is described in the OP? Not a huge loss I guess, I'll probably end up playing this again a second time.

GavinGT

Banned
Currently on pace to play Gwent about as much as I played Dice Poker -- which is never.

Woah....Gwent is fucking awesome. I look forward to each new town I discover because it means another merchant to fleece a card off of. It's like Triple Triad but with more depth and no need to save-scum.

Dresden

Kinda feel like relic weapons should be unique. I've used three different versions of Maugrim for basically the entire game now.

Serrato

So annoying, I'm sorry.

BURN ON THE PYRES!

Lol, I took your save too since my old save was lost... ;_;

oh well, I'm way too advanced to restart JUST for Letho. Next time I do a playthrough...

Maximo

Holy shit, leveling takes FOREVER. I never played a game where getting XP took this long.
Quests give a ton of exp I personally level fast if I'm focusing on them. If your just killing monsters and finding points of interest it takes awhile.

SomTervo

First I really appreciate you taking the time to post all that. Even though I disagree its great to see where your coming from.

As far as the human archer section I'm not locking on. You know how Geralt automatically centers to face the closest threat. Thats what I mean. I can't just run toward the arrow guy dodging everyone around me. Its like I'm waltzing with each enemy till I can get close enough to strike.

I can understand people liking the slow pace of the combat but imo its a terrible system and shows that CDRP have no idea what they are doing when it actually comes to the mechanics of these games. I was just watching some Witcher 2 combat videos and it looks really similar to W3 so it looks like they are just sticking to their guns with this.

Thanks for the response, too, man.

I think the dichotomy here might be that I enjoy the 'role playing' aspect of doing what Geralt would do, whereas you're looking at the combat more from an outside perspective of action game mechanics.

TW3's combat is not pretty, it's borderline janky, but it's so deep and broadly logical that you really have to become Geralt to succeed at it. Basically the combat is designed to simulate Geralt. It's not designed to simulate 'good' combat.

The Witcher 2 had it far worse. It has more jank than TW3 and a lot less depth. Still a great game, but it's more like a great work of literature.

Just want to chime in to say that I agree with you regarding the combat. The length of animation to get a hit clearly depends on my positioning relative to the creature I am fighting. I prefer this to an immediate response swing which would have caused me to swing and miss.

When there are groups, it comes down to positioning again. I try to align myself so that I place three or four enemies in a 45 degree V in front of me and use Igni. If the enemies are the "teleporting type", I usually use Yrden and position myself with my back to it but out of the range of anything that could get trapped in it. If all else fails, I use Aard and run away.

Thanks for the solidarity! Think I got to the crux of it with ev, though. Different expectations I guess.

Salsa

oh shiet power places in death march dont give you ability points

this is the sort of reason why starting over seems to be the real challenge, as changing it mid-game would mean you still have a bunch of those

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kinda feel like relic weapons should be unique. I've used three different versions of Maugrim for basically the entire game now.
They aren't unique? That's kind of nuts, although I like my silver relic right now and want to use it as long as possible.

Serrato

this is the sort of reason why starting over seems to be the real challenge, as changing it mid-game would mean you still have a bunch of those

Of course they do? I got like 10 Skill point from them already and I didn't really search them yet, excepted white orchard where I did everything.

Funny, I actually haven't bothered with Gwent. I was too impatient to bother with the tutorial when I first started and right now I have little interest in figuring it out. I miss dice, but its nice that they didn't skimp on the mini game.

Possible game breaking bug. On the Get Junior quest, I'm
down in the sewers looking for the secret stash, but I'm not getting the prompt to examine the marks on the floor by the secret door, or pull the torch to open the door. I went onto youtube to see if I was doing something wrong but I'm not
... how do I fix this? D:

Chariot

Funny, I actually haven't bothered with Gwent. I was too impatient to bother with the tutorial when I first started and right now I have little interest in figuring it out. I miss dice, but its nice that they didn't skimp on the mini game.
It's rather simple. Win two rounds, win a round by baving the higher score at the end of a round, a round ends once both players passed.
Is there any reason to play Gwent besides playing for playing's sake?
You can win small amounts of money and ressources. There are also quests regarding special players in every region, inn keepers and a tournament. All of who naturally deliver experience. Also Qwent is fucking awesome.

roytheone

I am way to afraid to sell half my gear simply because I could eventually need the materials I can break them down onto. Is there a simple rule about which stuff you can safely sell, and which stuff you can better break down for the materials?

OP, I love your post and would just like to do a quick tribute. This question from simulating Witcher 2 choices...

Act 2: Roche Path - Kill King Henselt or save him?

... was never asked to me. And yes, I said I was on Roche's path. I'm actually sad I wasn't asked it.

By the way, how many kings are alive in the north at the start of The Witcher 3? Only the king of Novigrad and the emperor of Nilfgaard (who invaded from the south) or are there more? (Spoiler mark if necessary; no details necessary). I remember at least two kings from The Witcher 2 who could be alive at the end of that game, but I'm confused as to whether they are still active now. Not sure if Skellige has a king also.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am way to afraid to sell half my gear simply because I could eventually need the materials I can break them down onto. Is there a simple rule about which stuff you can safely sell, and which stuff you can better break down for the materials?
I was paranoid with this in White Orchard but once I got out in the world, I've started finding so much stuff that I'm not worried about it. Dismantling seems to be more of a waste of money than anything else.

Salsa

Of course they do? I got like 10 Skill point from them already and I didn't really search them yet, excepted white orchard where I did everything.

?

they were for me on my other blood and broken bones playthrough, but on Death March difficulty it appears they don't

am I mistaken?

I don't think they do on B&BB either. I didn't even know they were supposed to give you anything but a small buff to a particular sign.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I missed that extra points were getting added?

OP, I love your post and would just like to do a quick tribute. This question from simulating Witcher 2 choices...

... was never asked to me. And yes, I said I was on Roche's path. I'm actually sad I wasn't asked it.

By the way, how many kings are alive in the north at the start of The Witcher 3? Only the king of Novigrad and the emperor of Nilfgaard (who invaded from the south) or are there more? (Spoiler mark if necessary; no details necessary). I remember at least two kings from The Witcher 2 who could be alive at the end of that game, but I'm confused as to whether they are still active now. Not sure if Skellige has a king also.

The only ones I know of are Radovid and
King Bran (of Skellige).

pahamrick

RE: Henselt (Spoilers)
It seems he's dead even if he's alive at the end of Witcher 2. There's a conversation with the Ambassador after talking with Yennefer in Vizima where he states that Henselt was killed on the frontlines at the start of the war.

Pretty sure he's aware of that. Its still moot. The basic bolts do considerably more damage underwater to make up for the fact that you can't attack any other way.

Well, yeah -- I just think it was a bit of a misstep to make the basic bolts have infinite stock. I almost never use the crossbow except for taking down flying enemies or enemies underwater, so the upgraded bolts don't really offer me any incentive to craft them.

You do get points for them and a sign boost. You can revisit them and draw power later and then you only get the sign boost. Maybe you drew from a Place of Power you had already visited?

Just had a pretty exciting fight but I really should go search for some enhanced potion formulas. Took swallow, thunderbolt, tawny owl, black blood and cat eyes at the same time without getting poisoned.

Gattsu25

Banned
It seems he's dead even if he's alive at the end of Witcher 2. There's a conversation with the Ambassador after talking with Yennefer in Vizima where he states that Henselt was killed on the frontlines at the start of the war.

Well, yeah -- I just think it was a bit of a misstep to make the basic bolts have infinite stock. I almost never use the crossbow except for taking down flying enemies or enemies underwater, so the upgraded bolts don't really offer me any incentive to craft them.
I was happy to hear that.
Fuck that guy.

Salsa

oh bleh. I was lookin at points in branch rather than points available. my bad

so far death march doesnt seem all that different from blood and broken bones

still not sure if i'll stick to it or go back to my advanced playthrough. still having fun even replaying the early stuff tho

Eric WK

You do get points for them and a sign boost. You can revisit them and draw power later and then you only get the sign boost. Maybe you drew from a Place of Power you had already visited

I'm almost certain that's what he did. I had the same exact experience of wondering why the hell I didn't get an ability point only for it to later dawn on me that I had activated that one hours earlier and was returning to the area for something else entirely.

If he's never gotten ability points from them, must be a bug.

Boof

Bloody Baron Quest Line
I was surprised to read that some people's Baron killed himself and that their Anna died! Both of mine lived and the Baron took Anna to find a mage or healer to help her with her condition. Unbelievable the branches and how your choices really make the game really different. What a story.

Oh, I had that conversation and still missed that. Was slightly overwhelmed when at that point, lol. Thanks.

I was happy to hear that.
Fuck that guy.

Completely agree; I killed him on my Roche playthrough of Witcher 2. They called me a kingslayer and a bad man. Bah. King or no king, as a witcher I couldn't care less. I saved his life and he treated me like shit and tried to kill me; and even after he's alone in a room with me he kept calling me shit. Felt good to kill him. Kind of like when an asshole character dies in Game of Thrones.

are there many quests in the first area and how missable are they? i uncovered everything and cleared everything i had. hopefully i didn't miss too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom