• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadbeat

Banned
I am curious about this as well, and do any of your witcher 1 choices matter if you imported them in to your witcher 2 save?
I know depending on what you did in Witcher 1 you got different armor and weapons at the beginning and they were good for the prologue for W2, but Im curious about this in W3.

I want to see old faces once again as well. Give me some easter eggs based on little things from the previous saves.

faer0n

Maybe someone who is already playing can tell me. I am lvl 4 ATM and in
velen
Minor spoilers ahead(main quest)
i just found The agent i am supposed to meet and now have two new main quests (witch and bloody lord) but all the unknown places i visit are full of enemies above lvl 10. does the game want me to do some main quests first or is there a part of the map thats more suitable for my lvl?

LifEndz

I'm playing on PS4 and I have noticed no framepacing issues. It is seriously fine and looks amazing. I pan the camera while horseriding very often and maybe every 5-6 times there's a moment's frame-loss. But that's very rare.

Thanks for this. Have the PS4 version preordered, but all the frame rate stuff had me thinking maybe it's best to wait for a few patches. Looking forward to picking mine up tomorrow.

First Witcher game, but I have plenty of experience with these types of games. Going to try the difficulty above normal and hope I fare okay.

Cool cool. I don't know much about it. Can you go around like collecting cards? Any kind of tournament or something?

Yeah you can find cards in-game. Remember a streamer finding
a Foltest card yesterday, and there were some NPCs teaching each other the rules in an inn

Spoiler tagged because it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side I guess. Don't think it's story related, though.

krpiper

I like the xbox controller better but I want the better performance of the ps4.

How noticeable is the performance drops/performance gap between the two?

What to do GAF?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
My GOG page says available in just under 7 hours (US), so it will be ready right about the time I get home from work, perfect :D

I like the xbox controller better but I want the better performance of the ps4.

How noticeable is the performance drops/performance gap between the two?

What to do GAF?

Check out Blimblim's analysis:

Well the comparison thread has been locked as I was posting this, hopefully this will be ok in here, otherwise please feel free to remove this post.
Anyway, I've just finished the first prototype of my frame rate analysis system, it's extremely rough right now, but I think it's not too bad in terms of accuracy.
So I use the two clips from the comparison video I did yesterday, and it yielded some pretty interesting results:
This is PS4:
tw3_ps4.jpg

This is X1:
tw3_x1.jpg

Quick explanation for the last 3 info. Max dupes is the maximum of times a frame was duplicated in the video, the two pace info show how many times (and why) the game deviated from a perfect 29.97 fps. Short pace means a frame was shown immediately after the one before (at 29.97 each frame is supposed to be duplicated once), long pace means that a frame has been duplicated at least twice. Obviously you want these to be as close to 0 zero as possible for the game to look smooth.
So yeah, the X1 version is unlocked, and (at least for me) it leads to very very ugly frame pacing problems, and in the end it looks way less smooth than on PS4.

BumRush

No probs mate.

I'll check again for you - but I'm not 100% certain you get experience from killing low-level mobs. We didn't in The Witcher 2. But near the beginning of TW3 it told me "you can get experience from finishing quests and killing monsters", so surely you can.

I'll go slay a few Drowners or Corpsers and let you know if I can level much :p then again, I'm struggling to survive in general. It takes a lot of work to get ingredients together to make healing potions (the Swallow potion) and it's relatively costly to buy healing foodstuffs.

You may be better playing on Normal, too. That'll still have the odd challenge and should let you feel very OP.

Excellent, I'll check back here.

Denton

I am fairly certain this will be the best videogame I will have ever played.
The excitement is getting unbearable.
Also, launch trailer today

PSA: If there happens to be a Launch Trailer today & you are sensitive to light spoilers (returning characters, etc.), might wanna skip it.

Fueling the hype a bit more

Pushsquare - 10/10

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt sets a new standard for open world RPGs. Its shockingly cohesive world is as beautiful as it is demanding, and it's packed full of mature content that throws you from one emotional response to the next. Its storytelling is superb, its combat is grippingly refined, and its often unforgiving nature only lends itself to a brilliantly rewarding experience. In an industry that's flooded with so many by-the-book open world titles, Wild Hunt stands out as a true labour of love from a developer that's uncompromisingly passionate about its creative freedom. Geralt's incredible adventure is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Caja 117

Question:

If I buy right now the Witcher 3 on the PSN on a computer browser, will it start doing to preload? or do I have to start it in my PS4, note that I have my ps4 on rest mode and do all the updates automatically.

Ibuki

Banned
Question:

If I buy right now the Witcher 3 on the PSN on a computer browser, will it start doing to preload? or do I have to start it in my PS4, note that I have my ps4 on rest mode and do all the updates automatically.

I'm pretty sure you will have to press the download to ps4 button after purchasing, but as long as your ps4 is in rest mode it will pre load after you press that.

Anyone know how far the 9Gb preload lets you play on PS4? I'll have that downloaded by the time it unlocks but I'll probably only be halfway through the whole download. I'm guessing that most of the other 20gb is stuff like FMV's and audio from much later parts in the game so probably won't be hitting any blockers, but if anyone can confirm would be great.

Khayam

Banned
Question:

Buy it and don't forget to launch the download from the computer Store right after the purchase recap.

7 hours to finish reading Blood of Elves, watch all the Witcher 1 and 2 recap vids and beat Far Cry 4 so I don't feel guilty about starting another huge open world game when I haven't beaten the one I just bought a few weeks ago.

Let's do this.

Cyborg

Guys,

MediaMarkt in The Netherlands is selling the game. Can anyone tell me how the game is on PS4?

Are the graphics good? And how is the gameplay?

Denton

7 hours to finish reading Blood of Elves, watch all the Witcher 1 and 2 recap vids and beat Far Cry 4 so I don't feel guilty about starting another huge open world game when I haven't beaten the one I just bought a few weeks ago.

Let's do this.

Good luck!

Fuck FarCry 4 though. That shit epitomises everything that is wrong with open world design. If you have to prioritize, just drop that. Finish Blood of Elves.

(too bad you cannot finish whole saga in time, it is spectacular)

Sorian

Banned
So, I didn't own witcher 2 on PC, I played it on one of the consoles. I've got this one ready to go for PC and I want to use that save from the OP to transfer over to this one. Where can I put the save so that this game recognizes it?

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to get surprised, but since I already read here
Letho
is in the game, and instead of getting annoyed I just got even more excited, I am going to watch this :)

Well
Letho
isn't rally a spoiler now, since you saw him (at least big part of him) in the Sword of Destiny Trailer.

Bytes

I am curious about this as well, and do any of your witcher 1 choices matter if you imported them in to your witcher 2 save?

Your Witcher 1 choices do have an effect on your Witcher 2 game, but they are not major (but still cool). Not to mention that you get to import your armor and weapons.

I'm not a big RPG guy.
The combat looks pretty subpar.
I've never played a Witcher game before.
I doubt I'll ever get 100% completion.

But GAF, I think I want to buy this. What's wrong with me?

Clockwork5

I played about half of the Witcher 2 and liked the voice acting and plot.

I did not like and stopped playing because of the combat, inconsistent difficulty, a certain level of jank and bugginess, uninteresting side quests and adult material that seemed forced on a adolescent level.

Now that list may seem like enough to steer clear; however, I really like the look of this game and something is pulling me in. Reviews are outstanding and I need a good open ended RPG in my life. (I did not care for Dragon Age) help me GAF.

Also, I won't be salty if I don't like it. These things happen. Should I bite? Does this game feel relatively polished for an open world RPG? Has the combat improved?

Currently reading through the thread looking for the answer but...

Can you import your Witcher 2 save?

If you don't have your Witcher 2 save is there a way to import your choices? (I heard there was but don't know if it got confirmed)

Thanks!

artsi

I'm not a big RPG guy.

You've been contaminated by hype.

Just go with it, lol.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm not a big RPG guy.

Infectious hype. The game also looks pretty darn spectacular, so it's understandable.

Parsnip

Was Yennefer ever mentioned in the earlier games? Of what I've seen they don't really introduce her in W3, so I'm just wondering if there's some story bit from 1 or 2 that I'm forgetting. The way the opening of W3 treats her, it almost seems like I should know her already, but I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom