• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witcher 3 has probably the most well-realised and varied open world that's evern been made. The quality bar for every piece of content is of the highest order. Every quest feels like a main-line quest, where care and thought was put into its design and overall place in the world. There are no meaningless quests, no trivial tasks, and only one collectathon which is a veritable game in and of itself (i.e. the card game gwent). Witcher 3 has minigames like GTA5, but in this they're actually fun; it has Biowarian choice & consequence peppered throughout every dialog; it has deep and engaging mechanics that take time and skill to master; and above all it has an immense open world that ties every single aspect of the game together.

It's a truly remarkable achievement - one of the densest and largest open worlds I've ever had the pleasure of inhabiting.

Agree wholeheartedly. Well said.

Not sure if this will make sense but I wish when crafting a potion, bomb, armor, or whatever with a merchant/craftsman that they would just charge you the price of the work and ingredients together and do things automatically. Currently I have to go to the item that I want to craft and look at the required ingredients then exit out of the crafting option and go into the shop tab to buy the ingredients separately, then go back to the crafting tab to have the person craft me the item. It's really inefficient.

Grassy

So I kind of completed a quest before I was officially assigned the quest. It was a treasure hunt quest at white orchard called "dirty funds", something about deserters in some camp that I have to kill, except I already killed them a while ago and cleared the area. Basically the quest is asking me to read a letter and after doing so a marker is meant to be placed on my map but nothing happens. Going to ignore it but I guess its glitched.

I have the same issue. Although I did the quest in the correct order, it just didn't seem to register when I read the note so the quest is stuck at "Read the notes you have found" and won't clear.

CSX

YO Geralt with those
wolf
puns lol

Kinda out of his character. Seems to be more of the sarcastic guy or how at least I make him reply all the time lol

Shy

Loving the game so far.

Quick question, are the sidequests (and quests in general) time sensitive. ?
Because i want to fuck about playing gwent and exploring, but i'm afraid too.

carlsojo

I'm stuck on the
Wild Hunt guy with the axe in the elf's hideout.
I try to roll away from those attacks, but he hits me more often than not. I haven't found a consistently reliable way to dodge him yet.

My strat was:
Keep Quen up always, wait for Keira to taunt him off me with her spells, and when his back is turned go for those crits. It's hard because Keira's almost too good and she'll blast him into a corner making him difficult for you to attack. I would never try to attack him head on. When he goes down to 66% and 33% he throws up a shield, summons dogs, and starts to heal. It's a long fight mostly because I wasn't able to stop that heal very well.

antonz

Kinda feel like relic weapons should be unique. I've used three different versions of Maugrim for basically the entire game now.

I feel like they did that to calm the people who were upset with the idea that loot scales. So instead of locking out a really awesome looking sword you can perhaps later find a higher level version of it

So I ended up getting this game. Quite possibly the worst controls I've ever seen in a big budget triple AAA game. Especially jarring considering how well crafted other stuff in the game is. Pretty fucking weird that they thought it was acceptable or a good idea. I mean in both the actual controls and just the way the character moves.

Game seems interesting. Sometimes the writing is horrible. Sometimes it's actually good. It's a fun time waster for sure. Riddled with bugs though.

TLDR: Typical Western style RPG fare but made with more attention and with an interesting story.

carlsojo

So I ended up getting this game. Quite possibly the worst controls I've ever seen in a big budget triple AAA game. Especially jarring considering how well crafted other stuff in the game is. Pretty fucking weird that they thought it was acceptable or a good idea.

Game seems interesting. Sometimes the writing is horrible. Sometimes it's actually good. It's a fun time waster for sure. Riddled with bugs though.

TLDR: Typical Western style RPG fare but made with more attention and with an interesting story.

If you hate the controls in Witcher 3, Witcher 2 will make you claw your eyes out. I love W3 in comparison.

Ceebs

Still super early, but if I get a chance to aid the Church of the Eternal Fire in anyway I'm doing it without hesitation.

The asshole priest in act one of the first game soured me on the whole church way back when I played that years ago.

Velen sidequest spoiler:
so when I got the quest from the one priest to burn the bodies, I knew he was crooked from the start.

If you hate the controls in Witcher 3, Witcher 2 will make you claw your eyes out. I love W3 in comparison.
could geralt move any worse lol. Did no one play this game and be like "uhhh he moves like shit". I can't believe they all developed and thought goodenough.jpg.

Can't win em all I guess.

Shy

Velen sidequest spoiler:
so when I got the quest from the one priest to burn the bodies, I knew he was crooked from the start.
Yep me too.
i was hoping that i could expose him and ruin his life, but i only got the choice to kill him instead. ohh well. :p

Just had an epic battle with the *monster contract spoilers ahead*

Cockatrice. It hit me with an attack that caused bleeding damage and I had to keep dodging and chug my final Swallow potion before I could finally manage to land the killing blow.

This game....

Obama-sweating.jpg

This is infinitely better than Inquisition in terms of stuff to do in the open world. The side quests are meaty and unique and the points of interest, while more cookie-cutter as far as presentation goes, actually have exciting loot or cool rewards.

Witcher 3 has probably the most well-realised and varied open world that's evern been made. The quality bar for every piece of content is of the highest order. Every quest feels like a main-line quest, where care and thought was put into its design and overall place in the world. There are no meaningless quests, no trivial tasks, and only one collectathon which is a veritable game in and of itself (i.e. the card game gwent). Witcher 3 has minigames like GTA5, but in this they're actually fun; it has Biowarian choice & consequence peppered throughout every dialog; it has deep and engaging mechanics that take time and skill to master; and above all it has an immense open world that ties every single aspect of the game together.

It's a truly remarkable achievement - one of the densest and largest open worlds I've ever had the pleasure of inhabiting.

I liked DA:I, but this game is on a whole other level. This will go down as one of the greatest RPGs ever made, on the same pedestal as Fallout and BG2.

From what I've played, I totally believe this is the case. Sorta crossing my fingers it doesn't pull a DAI and pull the wool away half-way through, but that seems highly unlikely from everything I've seen so far.

Thank you so much for your opinions.

I felt completely betrayed by DA and I foolishly bought it digital too

I loved Fallout and finished it

JRPGs like Souls/Borne, Dark Cloud 2, and Golden sun are also RPGS I enjoy,though not open world

Do you guys think this praise is just in a honeymoon phase like DA:I?

Sounds like this game manages to be extra special. The sidequest praise sounds great, I like that the world looks nice and varied too

Beefy

Loving the game so far.

Quick question, are the sidequests (and quests in general) time sensitive. ?
Because i want to fuck about playing gwent and exploring, but i'm afraid too.

Some side quests will go if you go too far in the main story.

Jolkien

Finished the BB quest line including his sidequest. Wow... amazing writting when I think I probably just did the coolest quest, the next one top it off.

At some point I gotta get on with the main plot. I'm 7 levels above the recommended level for the next main quest

Finished the BB quest line including his sidequest. Wow... amazing writting when I think I probably just did the coolest quest, the next one top it off.

BB quest line?

HeelPower

I keep seeing people say the open world in Witcher is more like GTA than Ubisoft collectathon/Dragon Age

You don't really have that kind of detailed character growth systems ,quest design or decision making in GTA.

On a visual level, rockstar creates amazing worlds as evident in GTAV,but the writing( apart from the occasional humor) and gameplay are shallow ,trite garbage.

squadr0n

At level 8 and I still don't completely understand how the leveling/skill selection works. Is there a respec option at any point in the game? There are so many choices and I have no idea what I want to choose yet, I would feel a lot better with a respec option.

Edit: my bad, a quick google search answered for me, potion of clearance is what you use too respec. Feel a lot better experimenting now. Hope they aren't limited.

Skyzard

Banned
It's pretty cool having your horse just follow you around by whistling for him and then just moving forward, nice to keep him nearby even on foot too.

I'm seriously getting to the point of putting the game down until they fix this inventory crash. It happens about 50% of the time when I go to open it.....

o you guys think this praise is just in a honeymoon phase like DA:I?

Some of it definitely is. But aside from the movement - which people are divided on - and some technical issues that are hopefully getting ironed out as we type the game seems uniformly great, and I think a lot of people would agree.

Regarding movement, if you're on the fence watch some videos (like Giant Bomb's Quick Look, which is early game stuff) to get an idea of what it's like. It's heavily based on Geralt's current animation, with very few instances where he'll "snap into place" which means every action taken is a commitment. Personally, I found it awkward and unwieldly in the beginning, but have grown to respect and even enjoy it. After some time of playing controlling Geralt becomes second nature, and the animation system makes a lot of sense - to me, at least.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Velen crones, Baron spoilers

Well, against my better judgement,
I decided to *Return to Crookback Bog* and the red-eyed devil pony I turned loose on the unsuspecting countryside is behaving badly. The Baron said he was going with or without me, so, I figured I might as well.

I mean, it was evil death pony or let the children get eaten. Sigh, well, the swamp's a-waitin'.

Here goes nothing

misho8723

Banned
I love the places of past battles... many dead bodies, horses, war tools, the ground is burned, crushed, blood everywhere, etc.. they are really looking like there were big battles in the past.. and the atmosphere around this places is so fantastic..never seen such large battle grounds in other games

Jolkien

I'm seriously getting to the point of putting the game down until they fix this inventory crash. It happens about 50% of the time when I go to open it.....

Are you running PrecisionX, Afterburner or FRAPS ? Game was freezing in my inventory at random (every couple of hours) patch 1.03 fixed it for me... not sure what to say except it sucks :(

Zeliard

Axii alternate, when it actually works, is pretty amazing. When fully upgraded enemies hit at 60% of their strength and do huge damage to each other, often taking each other out in one or two hits. I don't know if that's a consequence of playing on Death March where enemies hit for stupid damage, but they wreck each other.

Unfortunately the implementation right now seems pretty wonky. I had to do an .ini tweak to get it to work with Delusion, for one thing, and sometimes the puppet will just run around and completely ignore the mobs. Other times he'll just attack me instead. The most effective way I've found to get it to work is to control an enemy that's right next to others, so that he's more likely to immediately attack them.

Inconsistency aside, it can be very effective when it works, and cool to watch enemies duke it out.

squadr0n

Totally got over the movement issue right away and this is coming from someone that never got too act 2 in the Witcher 2 because of the combat difficulty. The only issue that I've come across movement-wise is while in combat. It just feels very floaty and when attacks connect it doesn't feel like they did. It just feels like kinda amatuerish combat, especially coming from Bloodborne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom