• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
i can barely hit anything when im riding a roach. i think i might have killed a dog once ;)

You can slow down time by holding down the attack button when near an enemy, can help a lot with the timing. Just need to then go out and come back at a good angle.

Kaversmed

How do you upgrade that armor you start out with? There is supposed to be like 4 tiers but I have no idea how to do it.

Also, what's the relation between the magic, master, witcher and relic items? It determines the rarity?

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
How do you upgrade that armor you start out with? There is supposed to be like 4 tiers but I have no idea how to do it.

Also, what's the relation between the magic, master, witcher and relic items? It determines the rarity?
You have to find the diagrams first and then bring it to an armor.

This game is massive, 53 hours in and I havent even seen skellige yet

They're amazing havent seen 1 fetch quest yet. My favorite so far was 'Wild at Heart' or w/e

I can not remember the name of the mission. But in it you fight
a hag who steals little kids
and while its tricky. Its so good.

Any tips on beating noonwraiths?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The horseback combat is laughably bad, I have so much trouble hitting anything and horseback on horseback sword play just involves me and bandits running in circles whiffing at air. Am I doing this wrong?

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
Any tips on beating noonwraiths?
Yrden sign, specter oil, dont get greedy and lots of food. The usual when fighting a boss.

The horseback combat is laughably bad, I have so much trouble hitting anything and horseback on horseback sword play just involves me and bandits running in circles whiffing at air. Am I doing this wrong?
I stopped fighting on horse back, I just jump off and use Aard, much quicker.

Xeteh

I just finished the story and aside from swimming missions and riding the damn horse I absolutely love this game. I was playing trying to do every single thing early on in Velen and then after several hours of playing and hunting down points of interest I realized that I hadn't put a dent in to the game, I'd probably be at it until next year. So I just focused on main story stuff and the game was still hefty. The story was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. As usual combat isn't Witcher's strong suit but it wasn't the worst.

I'd say more but my ability to write coherent sentences is something that never fully matured. Now time to do a much slower, more thorough playthrough.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
This may seem like a silly question but I can not find any powder and I need it to finish a contract mission. So where can I find/buy some?
Talk to a blacksmith or armor and start dismantling stuff, I've never seen powder, but anytime I need a certain item i always look for the blacksmith.

I am not gud at this vidya game business. I am playing on 'Story and Sword' and even mobs two levels up are destroying me. Hell, I came across two level five alghouls and it took me 4 or 5 attempts to beat them (I am at level 4). Failing quests which are suggested for level 7.

Tried a couple of side quests I spotted while riding around where enemies were level 8 or 9. Got destroyed.

My next two story quests suggest that I should be level 5 or 6, I need to find some quests to level up a couple of times.

Dresden

Finally done with the main questline in Novigrad, although that of course leaves a bunch of threads in play that I've yet to follow. It doesn't have the emotional punch of Family Matters + Ladies of the Woods, but the intricacy of it is still really damn good. I guess it goes for the game in general, but the way the writing incorporates your decisions - and your actions that break intended sequence of play - and takes it all in stride is pretty marvelous.

I think it's time to finally explore the southern end of No Man's Land, and go for some of the upgrades I don't have. Maybe find some more red mutagens, finish brewing some decoctions, finish out contracts. This fucking game, man.

ironcreed

Banned
Ah, the Skellige Isles. Just when I did not think it was possible to love it anymore than I already do. I am just flabbergasted by this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Strange, was at a point in the Family Matters quest where thr framerate was really bad on PS4, died, and the next try it was totally fine.

Shouta

Wow, so that's how you should deal with Noonwraiths like the White Lady or Jenny of the Woods. when she splits up, she starts draining life from you when she gets close. What you do is run away and hit the clones with a bolt from your crossbow to beat them and still prevent them from draining your life. That would have made the earlier fights so much easier, lol

Maximo

Velen crones, Baron spoilers

Well, against my better judgement,
I decided to *Return to Crookback Bog* and the red-eyed devil pony I turned loose on the unsuspecting countryside is behaving badly. The Baron said he was going with or without me, so, I figured I might as well.

I mean, it was evil death pony or let the children get eaten. Sigh, well, the swamp's a-waitin'.

Here goes nothing
You picked the "bad ending" like me, personally I find that choice much more interesting.

Thought this was a nice little detail. I was running in the forest, pack of wolves behind me. Ran into a few guards and the guards start firing arrows and fighting the wolves back.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
Wow, so that's how you should deal with Noonwraiths like the White Lady or Jenny of the Woods. when she splits up, she starts draining life from you when she gets close. What you do is run away and hit the clones with a bolt from your crossbow to beat them and still prevent them from draining your life. That would have made the earlier fights so much easier, lol
You can also follow the puff of smoke and hit it before it even gets a chance to start sucking your health.

Karak

Thought this was a nice little detail. I was running in the forest, pack of wolves behind me. Ran into a few guards and the guards start firing arrows and fighting the wolves back.

Some pillows are sewn with embroidery that mimics the lands map. Just noticed that.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
dodging and rolling in this game happen at the speed of molasses. I press the buttons when I see an attack beginning and still get hit. Quen is pretty much a must against multiple enemies, at least early on (< lvl 10). I am still learning the ins and outs of the combat, it's my first Witcher game. Clearly not your typical button-masher.

Turns out upgrading witcher armors, trousers, boots and gauntlets don't change anything aesthetically. After seeing a world so big with so much details, I don't know why but it really bugs me and I feel disappointed. :(

Basically, this doesn't happen:

the_witcher_3_wild_huntbear_armour.jpg

Or at least not for all armors or the first two witcher outfits.

26k9Td7.gif

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong woooo!

I think only the chest piece changes, cause the leggings stayed the same. But the chest piece definitely changed. You get more spikes and more "leathery"

The three witcher styles - feline, griffin, ursine - all change with each tier. The chests are the most noticeable.

Philtastic

Finally got a chance to really sit down and play this last night and wow, I'm seriously impressed with everything. Performance seems pretty good on my 280X (mostly ultra, high foliage, high shadows, no hairworks, HBAO+, ~45-50 fps average). Movement controls are a bit loose but I'm really loving the combat controls which are quite responsive. Atmosphere and characters are insanely good. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty for that authentic Witcher experience of being heavily beat up or near death after every monster fight.

I don't really stream many games but I'm doing it for this one. Here are some highlights I had from last night in White Orchard (I've basically just killed [boss spoiler]
the griffin, not sure how much of a spoiler that is
):

Some random wargs and a wolf pack. This shows off both how intense some fights can be and how responsive the controls are. I die like 10 times but at no point did I feel it was because I wasn't in control but mostly because I was outlevelled (I was level 2, they were level 5) with crappy gear against agile foes. If I had the +100% damage I have now at level 3 after that boss and after getting some ability points (I had just 1 in this video), it would have been a lot easier because I would have basically killed one wolf with every combo I did, quickly evening the odds.
I love how the fights in this game are like a dance with death. (Victory battle starts at 8:15 if you want to skip to that)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfx2pqSqRxE

A bandit camp. Having gone through those wolves, most every other fight was relatively a piece of cake. I do this fight in one try. Some random dodges and rolls to avoid arrow shots turned out to be really well timed. Had 3 finishers occur. Human enemies are far more predictable in their movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--xipZ0oD_Q

The aforementioned boss fight. Only needed 3 tries to beat it. This link is to the final try where I got a better handle on how to position behind him for some good combos.
https://youtu.be/rE8Z-m9zrLY?t=7m53s

KingKong

Orphans of Crookback Bog is incredible, the atmosphere and music and everything feels like something only Eastern Europeans could make

Aeana

I experienced a weird bug where the game kept me in combat after I sprinted away from some higher level enemies. Combat even persisted through cutscenes and quests and everything. Couldn't save manually and the battle music kept playing. Fortunately, checkpoint saves were still made, and loading one got me out of combat.

What level were you all when leaving White Orchard?

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
Griffin armour, how did you get that. if you don't mind me asking. ?
Like all the other Witcher outfits you need to find the diagrams, but I really cant remember where if found it. I usually loot stuff and walk away. Check under your "Treasure Hunting" tab in quests and see if theres anything there for Griffin Witcher armor.

Salsa

man.. fuck. think im sticking with this death march save and replaying

game is even more fun this way. don't think you really need to use stuff as oils in blood and broken bones. each encounter really matters here and im surprised at how much im enjoying replaying what I played just 2 days ago

maybe it's cause I enjoy the combat tho and I know some people here don't. I think I was burnt out on the batman-ness of every new release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom