• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

That feeling when you find great-looking armor and it's lower level with much worse stats. :~(

The Redanian Halberdier armor is a beautiful thing.

bede-x

Do you guys think this praise is just in a honeymoon phase like DA:I?

Absolutely. This has tons of activities that are repeated over and over again (20+ times so far where I am, probably more).

Once we get some distance and the launch hype out of the way, we'll see how people feel. It's good IMO, but it's extremely repetitive at times, just like Ubisoft Game and DA: I.

Absolutely. This has tons of activities that are repeated over and over again (20+ times so far where I am, probably more).

Once we get some distance and the launch hype out of the way, we'll see how people feel. It's good IMO, but it's extremely repetitive at times, just like Ubisoft Game and DA: I.

What activities do you mean?

MAX PAYMENT

I'm pretty sure the treasure hunting quests repeat. It's your own fault for doing it 20+ tines.

man it feels great to be sucked back into the RPG genre after 10+ years. First blood borne consumed 80+ hours of my life and now this seems like it will be 100+ hours. Good job CDPR on creating a world I wanna walk around and explore and discover. I was hesitant at first but once it clicked I was hooked. It pisses me off when people moan and groan about performance issues, when all I can see is the hard work this team put into making this game.

bede-x

What activities do you mean?

It's like Ubisoft Game climb the tow... I mean, touch the notice board to unlock activities on the map and then:

Eliminate X bandit camps
Destroy x monster nests
Clear x abandonded sites
Free X persons in distress
Find X guarded treasures
Find X smuggler's caches
Draw from X places of power

And so on..

What it does have going for it, is the challenge of navigating a world without level scaling, the normal quests and the fact, that there's only one open world Witcher game, so it kinda feels fresh.

Vitor711

Having a hard time with the Eldberg Lighthouse contract.

I'm inside but
can't seem to find anything but the letter
. I also apparently failed part of the quest as I can't talk to
Mikhail or whatever about the Penitent? No idea what that is
. Game is telling me to search around more but I can't find anything in the lighthouse itself. Any help?

Found a solution -
there's markings on the outside of the lighthouse. This brings up the penitent dialogue with the lighthouse keeper. Clearly the quest log shouldn't show that as failed yet until you've found the signs. Must be a mini-glitch/oversight

jett

D-Member
Been playing for 28 hours.

Geralt still hasn't ploughed anyone.

CDPR fucked up big-time.

Seriously though, there's so much shit to do, I get constantly distracted. OTOH, I'm in the middle of this witch quest in some caves that has gone on for hours. I think I'd rather go back to being distracted now. :p

Beefy

I'm pretty sure the treasure hunting quests repeat. It's your own fault for doing it 20+ tines.

Treasure hunting quests are basically one of two things 1) under water or 2) fight a monster which is most of the time around level 20. Still far better then Skyrim etc.

Tigress

There is a barber in Velen btw. You have to
release him from a cage.

Please don't tell me this is the merchant in a cage near the hanging tree ... Cause I can't find the key for the life of me and I think it might have bugged on me (he wasn't in the cage when I got there but after killing the bandits something else killed me and my last save was after killing the bandits. He appeared in the cage when I reloaded but no bandits and I worry that some how the key was supposed to load on them and didn't.

MAX PAYMENT

I think this game is easily in my top top 5 now. Maybe even top 3. I absolutely love it.

But it does really make me want to see a zelda game in a similar format.

Not too long ago I began having the feeling that I was starting to get too old for gaming, as I seemed to have less and less fun with them and wasn't even motivated to play. Turns out I was just playing crappy games because I'm addicted as hell to the witcher and having a blast. I honestly haven't been this addicted to an rpg since probably KOTOR. This game is truly incredible.

I can't remember the exact location, but there's an abandoned site you can clear near the little town with "the witch" which has an herbalist/merchant that will sell it. I also think the herbalist in White Orchard had it for sale.

Just cleared it. They had nothing. And I can't find the supposed road on White Orchard with a herbalist. I think I'm gonna nerd cry if I can't find this god damn manuscript lol

nib95

Banned
So no advice for the griffin boss? I will try to fight him again pretty soon

I used that potion to increase my attack (on top of already buffed attack and magic from the blacksmith wheel, statues etc), then kept rolling or walking back till my magic bar filled up, did a force push attack (which temporarily stuns him), got in one or two heavy slashes, then immediately rolled back again before he countered.

When he flew away, I hit him with crossbow shots, and rolled sideways just before he dived at me. Rinse repeat these strategies and you're golden. Just keep a high quantity of meat or bread in your quick selection, and use as you need.

It's like Ubisoft Game climb the tow... I mean, touch the notice board to unlock activities on the map and then:

Eleminate X bandit camps
Destroy x monster nests
Clear x abandonded sites
Find X guarded treasures
Find X smuggler's caches

And so on..

What it does have going for it, is the challenge of navigating a world without level scaling, the normal quests and the fact, that there's only one open world Witcher game, so it kinda feels fresh.

There's no sense of discovery in ubisoft games, in this game when I head to a check point I get to walk through a beautiful world and see some amazing scenery and you never know what the area that your going to brings. Also quests pop up on the way that have amazing story lines.

Zeliard

One thing I love about this game is that while the side quests sometimes repeat at their most basic objectives, the robust storytelling often gives each quest large and small a unique flavor, and the way quests intertwine and feed into other each keeps it from feeling like the clinical affair that characterizes many other open-world games.

What mars the open-world style we see from devs like Ubisoft and Bethesda is that, along with some often pedestrian writing, the missions and other activities largely feel like you're just checking off boxes. You may feel that way here if you're not into the story and setting, but it's undeniable that the overall quest structures from start to end are a lot more involved than in many similar games.

It certainly helps that the world they've created and setting they've used are beautiful and entice you to want to engage with it.

Eleminate X bandit camps
Destroy x monster nests
Clear x abandonded sites
Find X guarded treasures
Find X smuggler's caches

And so on..

I think the ratio of content like that to meaningful, bespoke, narrative content is much more favorable in The Witcher though. Most exploration zones in DA:I had hardly any quests as good as the secondary quests here. Even if you touch none of those repeatable activities and just do every quest, you'll probably get a similar game time to doing every repeatable side quest in DA:I.

Found a barber in Novigrad and got my haircut. Oh I wish I had recorded it because it was funny! I'll let everyone else find it out for themselves!
If you want to know
Geralt asks for a haircut but doesn't get what you/he wanted. Instead it's some kind of metrosexual cut and Geralt complains that "This is not what I wanted" or words to that affect.
It made me chuckle!

Eleminate X bandit camps
Destroy x monster nests
Clear x abandonded sites
Find X guarded treasures
Find X smuggler's caches

And so on..

I'm not sure why you find those activities a bad thing. They're all optional extra stuff that usually has cool rewards. Would you rather they weren't in the game? How would you fill out the world? Do you dislike fistfights, horse races, and gwent as well? Since those are just -activity- repeated multiple times through the game. You must dislike finding groups of monsters in the world as well.

And I don't think the comparison you made to tower climbing makes sense either. You pretty much can't play assassins creed with out doing those. That's certainly not the case with the stuff you listed.

Allforce

Should I be selling off all the shit weapons I pick up or just paying to have them dismantled? The game is really daunting in this regard since I literally haven't left White Orchard yet (but I've passed the quest where I am allowed to leave) and I'm already at like 58/60 for "weight".

I hate encumbrance mechanics in games so much. I never know if I'm getting rid of something I really need. Should I ever get rid of Alchemy substances used for crafting?

Beefy

Please don't tell me this is the merchant in a cage near the hanging tree ... Cause I can't find the key for the life of me and I think it might have bugged on me (he wasn't in the cage when I got there but after killing the bandits something else killed me and my last save was after killing the bandits. He appeared in the cage when I reloaded but no bandits and I worry that some how the key was supposed to load on them and didn't.

I don't think so. I will look it up later tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom