• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bede-x

There's no sense of discovery in ubisoft games, in this game when I head to a check point I get to walk through a beautiful world and see some amazing scenery and you never know what the area that your going to brings. Also quests pop up on the way that have amazing story lines.

I agree this is better for the reasons I stated above. With that said, I think I have a pretty good handle of what the next area is going to bring 30+ hours into the game, but I truly hope I'm surprised and will find entirely new activities just around the corner..

Okay, what would have happened if i decided to
give the tree spirit the ritual stuff?

The children would have been saved. Everyone at the nearby village would have killed each other. The crones would have turned Anna into a beast, and after being returned to human form she dies. The baron then hangs himself and his sergeant takes control.

Beefy

Should I be selling off all the shit weapons I pick up or just paying to have them dismantled? The game is really daunting in this regard since I literally haven't left White Orchard yet (but I've passed the quest where I am allowed to leave) and I'm already at like 58/60 for "weight".

I hate encumbrance mechanics in games so much. I never know if I'm getting rid of something I really need. Should I ever get rid of Alchemy substances used for crafting?

Never get rid of Alchemy stuff unless you have 50 plus of one item. A hell of a lot of stuff is needed to make Armour and Weapons as well as potions.

The children would have been saved. Everyone at the nearby village would have killed each other. The crones would have turned Anna into a beast, and after being returned to human form she dies. The baron then hangs himself and his sergeant takes control.

Oh okay, guess its a good thing I decided not to do that.

RDreamer

Absolutely. This has tons of activities that are repeated over and over again (20+ times so far where I am, probably more).

Once we get some distance and the launch hype out of the way, we'll see how people feel. It's good IMO, but it's extremely repetitive at times, just like Ubisoft Game and DA: I.

Are we playing the same game?

That's what happened to me. What if I had made the other choice?

CHC

You can't beat the shaved sides with just a ponytail hairstyle.

Yeah we'll see if you're still saying that when this sick-ass DLC drops:

OHMAkXO.png

One thing I love about this game is that while the side quests sometimes repeat at their most basic objectives, the robust storytelling often gives each quest large and small a unique flavor, and the way quests intertwine and feed into other each keeps it from feeling like the clinical affair that characterizes many other open-world games.

What mars the open-world style we see from devs like Ubisoft and Bethesda is that, along with some often pedestrian writing, the missions and other activities largely feel like you're just checking off boxes. You may feel that way here if you're not into the story and setting, but it's undeniable that the overall quest structures from start to tend are a lot more involved than in many similar games.

It certainly helps that the world they've created and setting they've used are beautiful and entice you to want to engage with it.

Agreed when I head to a ? Mark, I feel like I'm traveling to explore the land and venture off into the unknown wanting to discover what's there. Ubisoft games come nothing close to what this game has. I've never felt I was going there for a check list but to go there to discover the area.

finalflame

GAF, can someone please tell me
how you're supposed to kill the Warewolf for this quest? It starts having health regen about halfway, and then it seems absolutely impossible to do any damage to it. I wanna look it up in the bestiary, but there is no entry for it :/

how you're supposed to kill the Warewolf for this quest? It starts having health regen about halfway, and then it seems absolutely impossible to do any damage to it. I wanna look it up in the bestiary, but there is no entry for it :/
Here's how I did it:
Be careful with your health until the regen starts. I basically managed to keep (or regain) my health at full. Then, when regen started, I used a thunderbolt potion and just wailed on him. Went to town and pretty much ignored the werewolf's attacks.

Pretty terrible strategy, but it worked :p

I'm confused, I have a light armor (leather jacket) diagram, so I crafted it using the necessary parts and it auto equipped? It looks exactly the same as the default chest piece, but I could have sworn I compared it to the default gear before making it and it was much better. It has an armor rating of 30. Where did the default jacket go?

Jedi2016

The big difference between TW3 and AC is that those activities is all of the gameplay in AC.. there's nothing else. In TW3, those activities are just a few bits of filler in between much more interesting quests. Even the little side quests have full stories of their own, something that AC has never had. And damn good stories, too, with more thought put into them, stuff some players may never even see, than some AC games have as their main, and only, storyline.

Braag

You need to out DPS his regeneration. Coat your blade with a proper oil if you have the recipe. Use a thunderbolt potion and do as much dmg to it as possible once it starts to regenerate.

Forkball

It's like Ubisoft Game climb the tow... I mean, touch the notice board to unlock activities on the map and then:

Eleminate X bandit camps
Destroy x monster nests
Clear x abandonded sites
Free X persons in distress
Find X guarded treasures
Find X smuggler's caches
Draw from X places of power

And so on..

What it does have going for it, is the challenge of navigating a world without level scaling, the normal quests and the fact, that there's only one open world Witcher game, so it kinda feels fresh.

I think Witcher 3 handles those types of quests much better though. For one, you don't know what each ? will bring. It could be a small chest guarded by some drowners, or a huge area with enemies twice your level. For example, one of the ? in White Orchard seemingly isn't there when you arrive. Turns out, you have to walk a bit more to an abandoned church and cemetery. You fight a wraith in the cemetery, then go into the church. It looks like nothing's there, but if you use your witcher sense, you can find some handprints that lead to a secret area underground that leads to the treasure on your map. The variety each encounter brings is amazing, not to mention that you never know what treasure you will find. It's nothing like Ubisoft game where each "do X activity" is there to just push the completion percentage a few points up and to get small rewards like some extra cash or faux XP.

Speaking of ? activities, I found a nekker "monster den" (a cave with a small monster logo) and cleared it out, but it's still white on my map. Do I need to do something special to complete it?

I'd rather they weren't repeated as much, just like I wished the same with DA: I or Ubisoft Game.

I'd repeat less and make the game shorter. 30 hours of content that isn't repeated endlessly is far preferable to me, than 100+ hours of repetition.

You can do that right now. If you want the game to be shorter and not to do those activities then.... don't do them. I'm not sure how their existence hurts you or detracts from the game.

Zeliard

Speaking of ? activities, I found a nekker "monster den" (a cave with a small monster logo) and cleared it out, but it's still white on my map. Do I need to do something special to complete it?

I've had one or two like this as well, so I'm also curious about it.

Beefy

I think Witcher 3 handles those types of quests much better though. For one, you don't know what each ? will bring. It could be a small chest guarded by some drowners, or a huge area with enemies twice your level. For example, one of the ? in White Orchard seemingly isn't there when you arrive. Turns out, you have to walk a bit more to an abandoned church and cemetery. You fight a wraith in the cemetery, then go into the church. It looks like nothing's there, but if you use your witcher sense, you can find some handprints that lead to a secret area underground that leads to the treasure on your map. The variety each encounter brings is amazing, not to mention that you never know what treasure you will find. It's nothing like Ubisoft game where each "do X activity" is there to just push the completion percentage a few points up and to get small rewards like some extra cash or faux XP.

I had that as well. It could be it is side quest related? So still shows up white.

Braag

I still constantly chuckle at my poor choice to get the tattoo in the second game.

I forgot to remove it before I proceeded to CH3 and there was no one to remove it for me then. Now I'm stuck with it in W3. They really need to make it possible to remove it.
I only kept it cause I was bros with Roach and it felt fitting.

RDreamer

It's like Ubisoft Game climb the tow... I mean, touch the notice board to unlock activities on the map and then:

Eleminate X bandit camps
Destroy x monster nests
Clear x abandonded sites
Free X persons in distress
Find X guarded treasures
Find X smuggler's caches
Draw from X places of power

And so on..

What it does have going for it, is the challenge of navigating a world without level scaling, the normal quests and the fact, that there's only one open world Witcher game, so it kinda feels fresh.

So don't do them?

Seriously I don't get this complaint. There's more than enough game here to be worth $60+ even if you never do any of that. The game doesn't seem to force you into it either.

So far I've spent an insanely tiny portion of time doing any of those things you're talking about and a great amount more doing the story. Way more. There isn't some strangely unbalanced ratio here. These quests are crazy good. Who cares if you can also do some activity that doesn't have much story to it as long as there's enough good stuff there?

Maximo

Just finished the questline Master Armor
God dam that Arch Griffin fight near the tree on the hill with the flock of birds in the background on a sunrise, so fucking good.
Managed to beat it on Death March at level 18, Advanced Hybrid Oil and Thunderfoot, epic fight.
Hahaha lol can't even use the armor till I'm 27, times like this is when I wish I could store things.

MattyG

Banned
When in doubt, abuse Quen.

are you offensively going at him then rolling to dodge or are you letting him attack first then dodging and attacking. The latter works best and you really shouldnt get hit.

My strat was:
Keep Quen up always, wait for Keira to taunt him off me with her spells, and when his back is turned go for those crits. It's hard because Keira's almost too good and she'll blast him into a corner making him difficult for you to attack. I would never try to attack him head on. When he goes down to 66% and 33% he throws up a shield, summons dogs, and starts to heal. It's a long fight mostly because I wasn't able to stop that heal very well.
Thanks for the tips, I got him! That was the fight where the combat finally clicked for me too.

Yet to get to Skellige but that pic reminds me of a very heavily modded Skyrim.

Not very far. Went back to White Orchard to do some leveling up. I noticed that a couple places of power don't seem to be giving me skill points. Do I need to be a higher level before these places of power give me skill points? Do I need a slot open or something? Very confused.

zlatko

Banned
Just got to the area after White Orchard that starts with a V.

Game is nuts.

My major complaints:

FPS dips
Shitty horse controls
Geralt's jump is shit tier. Stuff he jumps half way up and over and he won't climb over... god damn it man.

Neverfade

Not very far. Went back to White Orchard to do some leveling up. I noticed that a couple places of power don't seem to be giving me skill points. Do I need to be a higher level before these places of power give me skill points? Do I need a slot open or something? Very confused.

You only get an ability point the first time you go there. Sure you haven't drawn power from that point before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom