• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRISS CAME BACK!

RLe0rX3.jpg

Glad i'm not the only one that likes the best girl in the game

Ceebs

I forgot to remove it before I proceeded to CH3 and there was no one to remove it for me then. Now I'm stuck with it in W3. They really need to make it possible to remove it.
I only kept it cause I was bros with Roach and it felt fitting.

Pshh...remove it...Geralt has to live with his poor life choices.

You only get an ability point the first time you go there. Sure you haven't drawn power from that point before?

Thanks for the response. I don't think so. I thought places of interest got "greyed out" after they've been visited and the items gotten. These places of power are still white but don't seem to be giving me skill points.

Couldn't find pictures, but I found this video: https://youtu.be/9cFXMIawvNE
Sweet, thanks!
Here you go.
Ohho, that saves me from scrubbing through that video, even better! Thanks! :D
Oh yeah, the 'sexy one' but seriously the shit they do to
Anna and the villagers.
I think how the people of Downwarren talk is pretty interesting though. Yeah, the witches are terrible, but really, who isn't terrible in their world?

So. . will Yen ever love me? She seems so cold and distance. Just started doing the Baron quest, did a few sidequest. I'm level 8 I believe, right now I plan to discover everything in Velen(sp), I have 40 left, and I need to go back to White Orchard: just 11 left.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Speaking of ? activities, I found a nekker "monster den" (a cave with a small monster logo) and cleared it out, but it's still white on my map. Do I need to do something special to complete it?
If they don't go grey there's usually a chest with good loot left. Same for bandit camps.

Shit, the only retail copies of this game available to me ATM are R2 versions of the game.

I remember seeing a patch note on cross-region DLC, does this have that?

bede-x

You can do that right now. If you want the game to be shorter and not to do those activities then.... don't do them. I'm not sure how their existence hurts you or detracts from the game.

It's part of a longer discussion and I'm going out now (sorry), but basically you can't make that choice, unless you know which parts are meaningful beforehand and which aren't. Unless you're fine skipping good parts of the game, just so you can avoid the bad ones, which is a crappy choice to present the player to begin with.

That said it bears repeating that I like the game a lot more than similar modern open world games, even if I easily see the similarities to them, so maybe that's saying something. Solid 7/10 for me so far.

You may feel that way here if you're not into the story and setting, but it's undeniable that the overall quest structures from start to end are a lot more involved than in many similar games.

It's better, if only because they don't turn it into a grocery list every time you touch a notice board, but instead keep the question marks on the map, making you wonder what's out there. It's only when you encounter the same thing yet again disappointment ensues. Every now and then though, something interesting happens..

Beefy

Thanks for the response. I don't think so. I thought places of interest got "greyed out" after they've been visited and the items gotten. These places of power are still white but don't seem to be giving me skill points.

They give timed boosts to whatever sign they are.

That's it. I give up on finding an herbalist that sells white gull. Regardless it'd be pointless if I can't find vitriol. Once I have the latter I'll once again freak out about not having any white gull, but hopefully third major area has an herbalist that sells it.

So. . will Yen ever love me? She seems so cold and distance.

That's Yen for you. From what I've seen of her so far in the game, they've absolutely nailed her character from the books. They essentially imply that the reason she didn't appear in the first two Witcher games was that she was giving Geralt the cold shoulder for hooking up with Triss :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Should I be selling off all the shit weapons I pick up or just paying to have them dismantled? The game is really daunting in this regard since I literally haven't left White Orchard yet (but I've passed the quest where I am allowed to leave) and I'm already at like 58/60 for "weight".

I hate encumbrance mechanics in games so much. I never know if I'm getting rid of something I really need. Should I ever get rid of Alchemy substances used for crafting?

Just sell them off. You won't need any of the dismantle materials that early in the game anyway, and its just dead weight in your inv. Sell armor and equipment to the dwarf in town for slightly better prices(and he has a larger gold sum to buy from you).

Basically you only really need to worry about dismantling when there is a specific material in mind for a recipe on hand. No real need to concern over hoarding, unless you rarely loot chests and avoid sidequests(which will give you plenty of stuff naturally). Dismantling can be viewed as a backup option to get missing materials, but don't fret over balancing dismantling and selling for stuff you are lugging around really.

How often do you need to get haircuts/beard trims? I really like how Geralt looks now and want to keep it.

The beard growth is weird. I did a test where I got a clean shave then paid relative attention to how it grew and it seemingly took a good 6+ hours for it to fully grow back out to a good couple inch long beard. However, it seems the game will just sometimes trigger the next stage of beard length. I went for a horse race and a minute later after a cutscene it had grown an inch. I've only trimmed his beard back maybe 3 times in 30 hours or so. It's very slow and steady.

Also what the hell. We are talking about a virtual beard growing and how to groom it. Video games are great. And weird.

JambiBum

For the people wondering about the monster den markers, I think they just don't get grayed out. Every single one that I've found and cleared out doesn't turn gray. Everything else does so meh.

Ken Adams

I remember the devs saying that the gear will automatically scale down to your level if they’re too high for you. Once you pick up an item, its stats are set, so it won’t scale back up to its original stats. Did they end up changing this at the end?

Vitor711

Chris. I thought White Orchard was a big area.

Then I hit Velen and looked at the map.

dat-booty.gif

And then you get to Skellige.

Not exactly the largest map, but once you have to start taking boats to reach islands, it just feels even more massive. Some gorgeous views too.It's what I wish Skyrim had been (interesting quests and a decent combat system in a world brimming with activities).

Since there doesn't seem to be any kind of cloak/poncho look, I still think Geralt's Witcher/Kaer Morhen chest armor is the best looking piece I've seen so far. The design is just really sleek. Love the chainmail.

Forkball

If you change you hair but keep the default beard, does the beard still grow?

Also has anyone done the Allgod quest? I thought it was pretty amusing. Here's my path.
Found the allgod and told him to just accept the current offerings and he agreed. However, I ratted him out to the villagers at the end of the mission. The two guys walked to where the secret staircase was, stopped, and just said "Gods..." I wonder if there will be a follow up.

So. . will Yen ever love me? She seems so cold and distance. Just started doing the Baron quest, did a few sidequest. I'm level 8 I believe, right now I plan to discover everything in Velen(sp), I have 40 left, and I need to go back to White Orchard: just 11 left.

I'll break it down for you with very minor character spoilers/backgrounds based off the books and the games so far:

From the books and game:
Yennefer and Geralt- old married couple. They're familiar with each other, but still like to flirt even if they're very sarcastic to one another, but most of the sarcasm comes from Yen. Basically she's great if you want a more 'married-like' relationship. They're also destined for each other/soulmates if you want to follow the novels.

Triss and Geralt- This is more of a honeymoon period relationship. Geralt tends to do many quips and jokes while in her presence and she doesn't hide whatsoever that she is heavily infatuated/in love with Geralt. I like this relationship better because I like Geralt's funny side which he displays more often. Also because Triss knows Geralt is supposed to be with Yen. It's heartbreaking but ultimately fulfilling because you're fighting against all odds to be with her

So yeah I went with Triss. I like her attitude. And in Witcher 3 they almost made her look like a young Cameron Diaz/Kirsten Dunst.

Kapow

Has anyone else encounter the bug where your always stuck in your walking animation? I thought it was just because of the level i was in but now im out in the open and its still like that. Its similar to when your overburdened only i can drop everything i have and he still walks nonstop. Hopefully theres a fix since i saved over all 3 of my saves and i dont want to start all over im 15 hours in already.

PS4 version btw

Edit: Nevermind i just checked the official forums and its not fixable. Guess im putting the game down for a while, dont feel like starting over again.

SOOOO......this is like the THIRD time the game has Crashed when I tried to "Pass" during a round of Gwent.....

WTF.....

ps4 version over here.

also its stupid that if u dont buy the card from the innkeeper in White Orchard before going leaving the area due to the story, you can never buy it form her again....(seriously...really dumb).

I know they are suppossed to patch it in...but I NEED THOSE CARDS NOW!!!!

"Lowly". Heh, I'm level 8 and nearly half your level. What does that make me?

Okay, where can I find a saddle bag? I don't know what is making me so heavy but I'm annoyed by it.

saddle bag for 30 more weight? you get it from the dwarf in white orchard

I still constantly chuckle at my poor choice to get the tattoo in the second game.)

I forgot to remove it before I proceeded to CH3 and there was no one to remove it for me then. Now I'm stuck with it in W3. They really need to make it possible to remove it.
I only kept it cause I was bros with Roach and it felt fitting.

Try messing with the beard styles at the barber. That's what caused it to glitch on and off of my Geralt. Better than nothing!

Anyway I settled on the shaved sides and ponytail haircut. It looks great with Hairworks and isn't as performance intensive as the ones with more loose hair.

And speaking of Hairworks, I was surprised to discover another character that utilizes it: the
godling
from the swamp that they showed last year at E3. I thought Geralt would be the only character that uses it aside from beasts and animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom