• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's Yen for you. From what I've seen of her so far in the game, they've absolutely nailed her character from the books. They essentially imply that the reason she didn't appear in the first two Witcher games was that she was giving Geralt the cold shoulder for hooking up with Triss :p

I kinda don't get how the Witcher 3 started.

Playing Witcher 2 it made it sound like Yen was kidnapped by the Wild Hunt or something along those lines and by the end Geralt was getting some of his memory back but not all of it.

In Witcher 3, Geralt has all of his memory back and Yen is now there all of a sudden. Feels like I forgot to player Witcher 2.5 or something.

Also, since the last time Ciri saw Geralt and Yen they were both dead, does that mean she doesn't know they came back to life? If not, why isn't she seeking them out?

Ceebs

For the people wondering about the monster den markers, I think they just don't get grayed out. Every single one that I've found and cleared out doesn't turn gray. Everything else does so meh.

They do turn grey.

witcher32015-05-2223-ikoo0.png

That's Yen for you. From what I've seen of her so far in the game, they've absolutely nailed her character from the books. They essentially imply that the reason she didn't appear in the first two Witcher games was that she was giving Geralt the cold shoulder for hooking up with Triss :p

So much this. I never cared for her in the novels either. She always rubbed me the wrong way with how she treated both Ciri and Geralt. Triss always came off as genuinely caring for both of them, but always got the cold shoulder in favor of Yennefer.

They give timed boosts to whatever sign they are.

I guess I'm still confused about this though. Some of the stones are greyed out and others are not. I go back and visit the ones that are not greyed out and I can't grey them out. I don't get it. I think something is seriously fucked with the map.

Tom Penny

The production values in this game are great. I can't believe people complain about it in comparison to what other RPG? Dragon Age lulz

ironcreed

Banned
It does take awhile to level in this game. Around 30 hours in and I am just level 15. Kind of gives you an idea of how big this game truly is.

The writing in this game make me want to understand the lives of the characters more and see how they progress. That's a great compliment in my eyes. Some of the most interesting characters I have seen in years.

MattyG

Banned
Are you all using Roach to get around? I've been using him and sticking to the main roads, but I feel like I'm missing a lot by not going on foot.

-Deimos

They do turn grey.

witcher32015-05-2223-ikoo0.png

So much this. I never cared for her in the novels either. She always rubbed me the wrong way with how she treated both Ciri and Geralt. Triss always came off as genuinely caring for both of them, but always got the cold shoulder in favor of Yennefer.

I never liked Yennefer from the beginning either. Team Triss all the way.

Vitor711

Oh but Yen has some amazing moments in TW3 - like, the banter between her and Geralt is genuinely endearing. I was in the Triss camp by the end of 2 but I think I'm going to have to follow Geralt's heart here.

Plus, Yen clearly cares about Ciri judging by some of the sh*t she pulls to try and find her quicker. She's brash but that's sort of her character.

There's one quest with a
Djinn
that's incredibly well written that pushed me over the edge there.

So what's the most reliable way to see time played? The character stats screen? GOG Galaxy seems like it's not accurately tracking time. GOG says I've still not cracked 30 hours which doesn't seem right but in game it says something like over 2 days, which also definitely doesn't seem right.

witness

Man, this game is very intimidating. I am level 4 now, out in this gigantic world, and I keep running across all these skill level or enemies who are level 9 seemingly everywhere I go. So because of that I've just been sticking to the main story quests. Most of my side quests are way too high for me to try. Is there any sort of map that shows level ranges for areas? It all just seems very random to me. I'm really enjoying it but I'm also really frustrated by it.

ironcreed

Banned
The writing in this game make me want to understand the lives of the characters more and see how they progress. That's a great compliment in my eyes. Some of the most interesting characters I have seen in years.

Some of the best facial animations at the right times and the best dialogue as well. I honestly don't think I have ever seen it done better.

Actually, I could say that about the world building, quest structure and atmosphere as well. It sounds like hyperbole because we rarely ever see this kind of quality on so many levels, but I absolutely feel that this is one of the finest games ever made. It is just that damn good in so many areas.

Pachimari

Is it just me, or does it feel like Geralt is not really there when talking sometimes? Like in the intro with Ciri, where he is supposed to talk loudly, it seems like the voice actor is just talking in a normal tone, which takes me out of the moment.

TMC

So what's the most reliable way to see time played? The character stats screen? GOG Galaxy seems like it's not accurately tracking time. GOG says I've still not cracked 30 hours which doesn't seem right but in game it says something like over 2 days, which also definitely doesn't seem right.

I was wondering the same thing. Yesterday, the stat screen showed that I had over 1 day of playtime when I only played for 6-7 hours. Maybe that is the time spent in relation to in-game time? I wish it tracked real time if that's the case.

OmegaDL50

Some of the best facial animations at the right times and the best dialogue as well. I honestly don't think I have ever seen it done better.

Actually, I could say that about the world building, quest structure and atmosphere as well. It sounds like hyperbole because we rarely ever see this kind of quality on so many levels, but I absolutely feel that this is one of the finest games ever made. It is just that damn good in so many areas.

The saddest part is this is apparently Geralt's last game before the series moves on to another character to focus on.

I'm going to miss Geralt's interactions whenever CDPR does get around to a 4th Witcher game.

I was wondering the same thing. Yesterday, the stat screen showed that I had over 1 day of playtime when I only played for 6-7 hours. Maybe that is the time spent in relation to in-game time? I wish it tracked real time if that's the case.

Yeah I thought it might be in relation to actual in world time but it's definitely not. I just checked, GOG says I have 29 hours played. In game it says I have 2 days 21 hours played, which is not right. And it's been way more than two days in the game world. And it's been more than three days since the game came out. I have no idea what the character stats screen is tracking.

I'm confused, I have a light armor (leather jacket) diagram, so I crafted it using the necessary parts and it auto equipped? It looks exactly the same as the default chest piece, but I could have sworn I compared it to the default gear before making it and it was much better. It has an armor rating of 30. Where did the default jacket go?

Anyone? This thread moves fast.

JambiBum

I really hope the next game focuses on Ciri. If they are going to stick to a Witcher theme then that seems the next logical step. If they decide to explore someone else then they can always use Triss. This game has easily jumped into one of my top ten all time, even with some of the small bits of jank here and there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Monster dens are like guarded treasure, I think. There's a chest in there to open and that'll "complete" them.

dlauv

Game is starting to finally click with me. Some really great writing combined with the improved animation system adds so much to every cutscene. Doug Cockle has convinced me he's really good. Combat has improved with execute, axii, dancing star(!!!!!), and learning how to dodge properly (to the side or towards the enemy). Groups are still a cluster fuss, but crowd control had gotten better to mitigate the challenge, which is probably the point. After all, crowd control was the name of the game in witcher 2.

The music on the outskirts of novigrad is to die for.

Some more minor niggles are Ciri's golden age super hero personality and her shoddy animation. It's like she hasn't had enough care put into her.

Ceebs

So random question, I missed some things in the dungeon from the Stumbling Through Darkness quest. I tried going back but the path is blocked where there was a portal before. Is there a way back through there?

What decoctions is everybody using? I don't remember the names, but I've liked the one that gives you a free quen if you get hit hard enough and the one that increases your max HP for every creature you kill.

KorrZ

Completed Keira's quest line tonight and also the "Ghosts of the Past" mission god damn. I love this game so much, the side quests are amazing. Towerful of Mice was such a great little quest line and made me feel so shit :X

Ghosts of the Past:
holy shit Letho! It was awesome to see him again, though I feel like an ass for messing up his plans. I wonder if it would have actually worked had I not killed the dudes at the end. Well, at least he's at Kaer Mohren now. Would love to be able to go visit him and Keira there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom