• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody had a problem where a quest marker disappears from the map? Like, it was there originally, but after switching back from another quest it's now gone, so I have no idea where to go.

Is it just me, or does it feel like Geralt is not really there when talking sometimes? Like in the intro with Ciri, where he is supposed to talk loudly, it seems like the voice actor is just talking in a normal tone, which takes me out of the moment.

He jokingly tells people that the mutation took away his emotions at times haha. His character has always been an extremely calm/neutral character so it makes perfect sense he keeps his cool if that's what you're referring to.

Pachimari

He jokingly tells people that the mutation took away his emotions at times haha. His character has always been an extremely calm/neutral character so it makes perfect sense he keeps his cool if that's what you're referring to.
No it just feels like the voice actor is talking into a microphone and that's it. When you see Ciri train with the stick blindfolded before the tutorial, he needed to talk loudly for her to hear him, but instead he is just super "calm" taking you out of the moment. It feels like he is not even there.

GHG

I loved Bloodborne, but I disliked DA:I (quit a few hours in), will I like this game?

This game is nothing like DA:I.

I also quit DA:I within the first few hours (ea access, thank god) but I started the Witcher 3 yesterday and it just consumed my whole day. It's one of those games that rarely comes along that is so good it makes you forget you need to eat (in real life of course, not the game).

Combat in this game is good as well. If you want a challenge start on the higher difficulty settings. You really have to time your attacks/dodges and be strategic (understand the weaknesses of each monster you encounter). You feel so vulnerable at the start of the game since most monsters you encounter will be a few levels above you so it's a case of get stronger and come back for some of the things like places of power and guarded treasure. I wouldn't say it's as tough as BB overall but the system has a lot of depth to it.

Go for it I say. You should like it.

UberLevi

I'm trying to craft the Griffin armor. Anyone know where I can loot some Monster Eyes? Sounds like they'd be easy enough to find, but I don't seem to have any on hand.

Corpekata

Banned
Monster eyes are generic monster loot so can be found on most, but kind of luck of the draw. You can also try dismantling some specific monster parts (like Drowner Brain) as they tend to break down into Monster items.

UberLevi

Monster eyes are generic monster loot so can be found on most, but kind of luck of the draw. You can also try dismantling some specific monster parts (like Drowner Brain) as they tend to break down into Monster items.

I totally forgot about dismantling things. That oughta help out a bit.

i wish there is a way to cast 2 types of magic without pausing the game. Completely destoryed the flow of combat. And no, holding parry and using dpad to switch is even shittier.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yen's banter with Geralt in her side missions definitely pushed me over the edge, a bit. One quest in particular in Skellige fills in a good chunk of the blanks from the two's past. It was pretty great.

Anywho, tbh, the level of story in each of the side content missions is what pushes this leaps and bounds above other openworld rpgs.

Even the most random witch hunt or side quest has some personable way to relate back to Geralt, either personally via your choices, narratively through his being a witcher, or more often than not, both.

Hope Bioware takes a look at this before the next DA comes out (or Mass Effect, but that's likely a bit too far in the dev pipeline by now)

I feel like I still haven't run across a quest line that's as engaging story wise as the Baron's. I know it's subjective but somebody please tell me there's something else as well done from a whole human condition sort of way that his quest line accomplished. And if so, maybe tell me the name and place where you get it. I need more personal stories like that. I'm a whore for tragedy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hope Bioware takes a look at this before the next DA comes out (or Mass Effect, but that's likely a bit too far in the dev pipeline by now)

There's nothing here that they weren't already doing in Witcher 1 and 2 and Bioware ignored it. Doubt that will change. Frankly Bioware doesn't have the writing chops to pull of something like this.

antonz

I feel like I still haven't run across a quest line that's as engaging story wise as the Baron's. I know it's subjective but somebody please tell me there's something else as well done from a whole human condition sort of way that his quest line accomplished. And if so, maybe tell me the name and place where you get it. I need more personal stories like that. I'm a whore for tragedy.

Tower of Mice is pretty decent for human tragedy.

Forkball

Every time someone says a game is 100 hours, I always assume that is bullshit and that there is maybe only technically 100 hours of gameplay if you do every little thing just for the sake of doing it and most of it is boring filler.

But hell, this may be a legit 100 hour game in terms of content you actually want to do. I'm 17 hours in and I am still doing the Baron quest, I haven't even seen those witches I'm supposed to, and have a quest log filled with stuff I haven't touched yet. You can't see, but I'm standing up and applauding towards a Polish flag right now.

Was chased by like 12 wolves earlier while riding on roach, did not bother to stop and fight them because it just seemed like a few too many lol. Also I had my first failed quest, had to protect some soldiers as they looted dead bodies but couldn't manage it. I put up a decent fight but the soldiers didn't make it.

6adh6rE.png

Wish I had the hud off for this shot.

Dresden

The 'Cabaret' questline is pretty amusing, and a nice change from the usual suffering and depression of the setting. That said I'm half expecting everyone involved to end up hanged by the Eternal Fire.

I GOT THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

went home, put the update to download and had to get back to work.. it's 11.00 now ... Provided nothing comes up, I should finish at 3.00 and from then, I'll be playing all day .. .Skipping work tomorow so I can sink in some good amount of hours

CANT FUKKIN WAIT ..... THIS WAIT IS KILLING ME NOW GAF :((((

Ducayne

Man, this game is very intimidating. I am level 4 now, out in this gigantic world, and I keep running across all these skill level or enemies who are level 9 seemingly everywhere I go. So because of that I've just been sticking to the main story quests. Most of my side quests are way too high for me to try. Is there any sort of map that shows level ranges for areas? It all just seems very random to me. I'm really enjoying it but I'm also really frustrated by it.

Same here-- just got to Velena and most question mark areas have enemies up to level 16 (!) should I just keep doing the main missions or will it be clear which exploration I can do within my level?

Red Comet

Only about 4 hours in, but I'm having so much fun with this game. I'm playing on the Blood and Bones difficulty, which is unusual for me since I almost always play on Normal the first go around, but I wanted the authentic Witcher experience. And, boy, am I getting it! It is so neat for a change to actually need the food and every last coin I come across in this game. Normally I always try to play as a nice guy, but I've had no qualms asking the people I help for a reward. Because a Witcher has got to eat. Quite literally since I've spent a good amount of money on food. I shamefully rushed my way through the Witcher 2 and played on Easy, but in the Witcher 3 I'm actually having to make use of alchemy, signs, and strategy. Makes for a much more immersive experience.

Forkball

Same here-- just got to Velena and most question mark areas have enemies up to level 16 (!) should I just keep doing the main missions or will it be clear which exploration I can do within my level?

Sometimes it's not so clear. You will find a group of level 5 monsters in one area, and then a group of level 13 monsters fairly nearby. My tip is to just explore, and if you come across something that looks like it will murder you instantly, run the hell away. There's a ton of stuff to do in Velen as soon as you get there, but I would recommend doing the main missions a bit to get some extra experience and gear. XP is mostly gained through quests, so it's not like you can go out and grind to victory. Check signboards for quests and try to tackle the easier ones. Some quests are possible to complete without having any combat whatsoever, so those are good ways to pump your levels up.

Basically, just explore. If you can't progress in one part of the world, just come back to it later. There is more than enough stuff to do no matter what level you are.

anyone know why Witcher 2 Assasins of Kings wont show on my TV?
im using an hdmi cable to connect my asus laptop and my TV but every time the game starts the tv just goes back to HDMI1 channel mode and the game is only shown on my laptop

I'm level 5 and playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and taking down level 7-10 monsters and bandits with no problem. It doesn't seem like you need to be at say level 10 to take down a level 10 monster, etc. Just play smart and you shall succeed. I actually like that as I explore I encounter bandits that are higher level than me and give me a challenge. I can either prepare for the battle with some quen, oils, etc and fight strategically or evade all together. I think this is much more fun than encountering mobs that are lower level that I can just slaughter without a second thought with a couple button mashes.

tmac456

i'm a couple hours in. in the process of hunting the first griffin in order to
get info about where Yennefer went

also did a side quest with the
haunted well
. definitely enjoying it. i have so much to learn still. what things to craft and how, collecting materials, where to have things crafted for me. probably going to have to do a lot of reading on this as i progress in the game.

bodine1231

21 hours in and loving it. Just hit level 9 and still have 1039848098 question marks on the map. It's kinda soul crushing but kinda nice to know I'll have something to play for the rest of the year. My favorite game of last gen was Fallout 3 and this is exactly that,but better.

21 hours in and loving it. Just hit level 9 and still have 1039848098 question marks on the map. It's kinda soul crushing but kinda nice to know I'll have something to play for the rest of the year. My favorite game of last gen was Fallout 3 and this is exactly that,but better.
thats an exaggeration right?
RIGHT!?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Guys I'm pretty deep into the game and I've been wondering does Iorveth ever make an appearance? And whatever happened to Saskia and the supposed Free Pontar Valley assuming you went that route?

Anyone know where to go to get the treasure hunt started for the second level Ursine Steel Sword? I probably just need to start hitting up merchants for maps or something.

I'm really disappointed by the loot in this game. I'm level 7 and I'm doing the main two branching questlines right now and I'll loot a chest that has armor that I've never seen before (which in game terms means it should be good) and it's level 1 armor or some bullshit. The worst part is I can tell that if it was at my level it would be really good.

Thaedolus

anyone know why Witcher 2 Assasins of Kings wont show on my TV?
im using an hdmi cable to connect my asus laptop and my TV but every time the game starts the tv just goes back to HDMI1 channel mode and the game is only shown on my laptop

First thing I'd double check is the resolution the game's set to, and make sure the TV supports it.

HoJu

Are notice boards the only way to get question marks on the map? I think i hit all of them in Valen and some areas are completely barren.
I'm just afraid of missing anything

Do you guys know where I can find the key to let this guy out? I've looked around and found nothing. (It's in the second area of the game)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFq0xfxUsAA1L5o.jpg:large

I'm on this part as well, got a 50inch and sitting like 10-15ft away. I think the bandits on horseback were keeping him hostage so I killed them. I thought I got a key off of them, but guess I saw wrong :-(, unless it's a glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom