• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodine1231

So, I sold one of my starting Witcher swords. Is that okay, or will I need it later for crafting something? From the Kotaku guide...

Is the "Griffon treasure hunt" not related to
killing the Griffon
early in the game? I don't remember getting a sword...

I don't think they meant the starting swords. They are probably referring to the green Witcher sets. When you craft the Griffon armor there's a tutorial popup that tells you to save it so you can upgrade it later.

Anyone else thing Geralt and Ezio look something alike?

ezio_reveal_by_splintercellsf-d3i8cxs.png

a7654ee7ce.jpg

Vaporak

Later in the magic tree you get alternate fire methods (like changing Igni from, a quick fire shot to a channelled attack). So that talent won't get much use until you can get the Alt fire of Yrden (generally in the second tier).

Yes I've got the alternative trap and it's really good. I just want to know what the hell the sustained glyph upgrade is doing for it. "charges" means nothing to me in terms of how it works.

yami4ct

I know this is an old complaint, but the fall damage is so motherfucking strong. What the shit was CDPR thinking.

Maybe they were trying to stop people from randomly cut weird paths through mountains and stuff like you can in Bethesda games? Only explanation I can come up with. Still dumb, even if that is the reason.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the Bloody Baron quest

So I got as far as
finding the dead baby thingy and chose to have the Baron carry it back up the castle so we can bury it properly, but I can't beat the damn thing once it transforms. Am I missing something here? The quest is level 6, yet I'm level 7 and have pretty decent gear on. I do like absolutely no damage when I strike it and the two times I was able to trigger the Wraiths to show up, they promptly speared me to death because there's no room to maneuver and avoid the three of them and the changeling. It's some serious bullshit. I checked the IGN guide really quick, but they give no tips and then also say the Wraiths will come a second time as well. So either this quest is tagged wrong in terms of what level you should be doing it or I am missing out on some trick in how to damage the changeling.

The Pellar quest is gone from your quest log? The story branches off a little bit after meeting the Baron, need to do the Witch and the Pellar to continue the main story.

The Pellar had dissapeared from my quest log but I just finished the witch section and it just reappeared. I'm glad it doesn't seem like I missed much but I got very confused for a while there.

So I got as far as
finding the dead baby thingy and chose to have the Baron carry it back up the castle so we can bury it properly, but I can't beat the damn thing once it transforms. Am I missing something here? The quest is level 6, yet I'm level 7 and have pretty decent gear on. I do like absolutely no damage when I strike it and the two times I was able to trigger the Wraiths to show up, they promptly speared me to death because there's no room to maneuver and avoid the three of them and the changeling. It's some serious bullshit. I checked the IGN guide really quick, but they give no tips and then also say the Wraiths will come a second time as well. So either this quest is tagged wrong in terms of what level you should be doing it or I am missing out on some trick in how to damage the changeling.

Well, since you're having the baron carry it back you don't want it to transform. I believe it only transforms if you get too far away from the baron. You need to stay close. Also, you need to use Axii on it when it freaks out after you kill the wraiths.

Corpekata

Banned

So I got as far as

Huh, weird,
I had no fight there. Wonder what I did differently to trigger it proceeding peacefully.

Faynwulf

So I got as far as

Once it transforms? But if the Baron carries that thing back, it shouldn't transform.

edit: spoiler added.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

So I got as far as

Why are you trying to fight the thing if you plan on burying it? You're definitely doing things entirely wrong.

Anyone do the quest called
Novigrad Dreaming
yet? If so when you got to the part with the
"haunted house"
did you choose to make the
godling Sarah leave the house?
If so how did that go?

Nocturn

Neo Member
So did I mess shit up? I was doing the quest "Redania's Most Wanted" The one where you look for
a certain woman from witcher 2
. I finished the quest but nothing came out of it. Did finishing
Triss Novigrad quests fuck shit up for me?
Looking on youtube I see a playthrough where you have the option to take one of the quest items (
Megascope Crystal
) to
Triss
instead. :[

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well, since you're having the baron carry it back you don't want it to transform. I believe it only transforms if you get too far away from the baron. You need to stay close. Also, you need to use Axii on it when it freaks out after you kill the wraiths.

Huh, weird,
I had no fight there. Wonder what I did differently to trigger it proceeding peacefully.
Mother f'er...
You have to stay near the thing... Ok, that may make this waaaay easier. The first time I did it, I was walking near by yet it triggered a cutscene so I figured that's what was supposed to happen. Then every time after I just ran way ahead right by the small wooden gate which leads up to the castle grounds and that would trigger the cut scene again.

UberLevi

Anyone gotten their mitts on the Ursine Armor yet? I found the Superior Ursine Armor set diagrams in Velen, but those are upgraded from Enchanted, which presumably is upgraded from standard.

I feel like I'm getting trolled by the devs with all this content and gear that's well outside my level range being dangled in front of my face in the early game. Glad to know I'll have a reason to come back, though.

yami4ct

Am I the only one who's low of funds? Not much of an issue, just means you have to play more strategic and I love the crafting system.

What difficulty are you on? I'm definitely having this issue on the one one notch below the top. Having to use items to regain health means I'm spending a good chunk of my coin making swallows. Getting good at Gwent has helped a bit. I do have a bunch of contracts I'm now going to be leveled to do soon, so that'll bring in tons of coins.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Dismantling is so damn useful, you can usually break stuff down for materials you actually need. Nekker eyes into monster eyes, monster parts into tissue dust. It's a lot more useful than I assumed.

Am I the only one who's low of funds? Not much of an issue, just means you have to play more strategic and I love the crafting system.

Yeah I've been broke most of my play through. An easy way to make money is by breaking down old weapons and selling some of the rarer materials, like emerald dust and stuff.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Out of curiosity, did anyone who is playing Witcher 3 as either their first Witcher game, or didn't import a save, get a quest from the book merchant in Novigrad?

I ask because what you get from that quest is very very specific to the Witcher 1 and I'm wondering if I got it because I imported a save from W1 -> W2 -> W3, or if everyone gets it and it just means nothing to people who didn't play W1.

Just posting this again.

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
What difficulty are you on? I'm definitely having this issue on the one one notch below the top. Having to use items to regain health means I'm spending a good chunk of my coin making swallows. Getting good at Gwent has helped a bit. I do have a bunch of contracts I'm now going to be leveled to do soon, so that'll bring in tons of coins.
I'm also playing on the second hardest difficulty and don't have money problems. Selling unused gear plus animal hides gives a decent income.

Plus, you only really need money for repairs and new crafting schematics. Alcohol can be found all throughout the world, I never had to buy it. Sun and stars helps with health regeneration, too.

yami4ct

I'm also playing on the second hardest difficulty and don't have money problems. Selling unused gear plus animal hides gives a decent income.

Plus, you only really need money for repairs and new crafting schematics. Alcohol can be found all throughout the world, I never had to buy it. Sun and stars helps with health regeneration, too.

I've found quite a bit of alcohol, but I'm just now starting to get the hang of the combat to the point that I don't really need as much regen. Had to buy out some more a few times.

I'm still quite early, though. Just started the
Lady in the Woods
plot line and have mostly been doing side-stuff that doesn't really net much coin and Gwent.

Is that your backlog in the background? :).
lol like maybe 10% of it :D
I have like 200+ game backlog If I really counted them all incl steam games.
But I really don't care about backlog, I play what I want to play when I want to play it.

Don't care about words like backlog or must finish this game before this game etc.

These crashes are getting out of hand today, really bumming my mood in playing.

Already don't have Chrome running when I play and that helped some, thinking of doing a clean install of the drivers again or roll back.

Just seems random, no specific thing that causes it. Tried different saves etc.

Staab

Just finished the "Bloody Baron" questline :
Goddamn, I liberated the tree spirit and the Baron ended up hanging himself, legit shook!

Philtastic

man.. fuck. think im sticking with this death march save and replaying

game is even more fun this way. don't think you really need to use stuff as oils in blood and broken bones. each encounter really matters here and im surprised at how much im enjoying replaying what I played just 2 days ago

maybe it's cause I enjoy the combat tho and I know some people here don't. I think I was burnt out on the batman-ness of every new release
And you said you weren't a nut like me. ;)

Welcome to death march! It's a joy. Enjoy your new crystal skull!
Yes, death march is the way to go! You actually need to prepare adequately for almost every fight since they're all as difficult as boss fights in other games. The combat requires reflexes, timing, and good use of many of the tools in your arsenal.

It's like Ubisoft Game climb the tow... I mean, touch the notice board to unlock activities on the map and then:
<snip>
One thing I love about this game is that while the side quests sometimes repeat at their most basic objectives, the robust storytelling often gives each quest large and small a unique flavor, and the way quests intertwine and feed into other each keeps it from feeling like the clinical affair that characterizes many other open-world games.
<snip>
...For example, one of the ? in White Orchard seemingly isn't there when you arrive. Turns out, you have to walk a bit more to an abandoned church and cemetery. You fight a wraith in the cemetery, then go into the church. It looks like nothing's there, but if you use your witcher sense, you can find some handprints that lead to a secret area underground that leads to the treasure on your map. The variety each encounter brings is amazing, not to mention that you never know what treasure you will find. It's nothing like Ubisoft game where each "do X activity" is there to just push the completion percentage a few points up and to get small rewards like some extra cash or faux XP.
<snip>
Yeah, I think what sets this game apart from other open world games with tons of things on the map is that they are, generally, more interesting due to context, atmosphere, and unique scenery. I literally thought of that same wraith+church/tomb encounter which has been described but here's my video of it. It really freaked me out because it was serene but too quiet... and then fighting in the dark in an enclosed space on death march is a recipe for dying. The fight ended up being easy enough but my entertainment came from the chill going through me as I descended into the dark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_1U0NEcoY

Admitting that I'm still fairly early in the game (just got to Velen), what also makes these places on the map interesting is that, if played on the hardest difficulty, these are all basically boss fights. Everywhere. Each of those question marks is possibly a challenging fight. Even a simple group of bandits becomes an exercise in tactical ingenuity of positioning, prioritizing targets, timing dodges while getting some hits in, and efficiently using signs. Here's a group of level 7 bandits guarding a quest treasure chest in White Orchard that I took I number of tries to beat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aQvT-SgH0I

Another question mark is an underwater treasure chest with 3 level 10 drowners swimming around it. Since there's no way to fight them, you have to just swim past them to the treasure, loot it, and then get out of there. On death march, you die from 2 hits.

So no advice for the griffin boss? I will try to fight him again pretty soon
I used that potion to increase my attack (on top of already buffed attack and magic from the blacksmith wheel, statues etc), then kept rolling or walking back till my magic bar filled up, did a force push attack (which temporarily stuns him), got in one or two heavy slashes, then immediately rolled back again before he countered.

When he flew away, I hit him with crossbow shots, and rolled sideways just before he dived at me. Rinse repeat these strategies and you're golden. Just keep a high quantity of meat or bread in your quick selection, and use as you need.
I would add that, if you roll diagonally toward him, you can dodge many of his attacks while positioning yourself for a combo to the griffin's side/back. Here's how I ended up taking him out. You'll see that, by the end, I was constantly behind the griffin hacking away.
https://youtu.be/rE8Z-m9zrLY?t=7m53s

I loved Bloodborne, but I disliked DA:I (quit a few hours in), will I like this game?
If you play it on the hardest difficulty, it is arguably more challenging than Bloodborne with a fairly deep combat system while having a huge open world and superior characters and story. Here's a fight I got into near the beginning of the game with some wolves and a warg. I'm out leveled while fighting a group of agile opponents. It was frustrating but also felt amazing since it really felt like a dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfx2pqSqRxE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom