• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

This game has the best looking female characters ever.

I would say the character design in general is pretty incredible, particularly with Hairworks on. The detail with Geralt's beard is insane. The only thing that breaks it for me still is the rigid facial animations, but that's a problem most games struggle with.

Replicant

I never played the first two and I find myself clueless about which faction I should support. Should I read up the Wiki on the first two?

Chariot

This game has the best looking female characters ever.
It has a lot of diverse characters too and at least there is a lore reason why all northern sorceress' look beautiful.
I never played the first two and I find myself clueless about which faction I should support. Should I read up the Wiki on the first two?
All are bad and good in one way the other. Geralt doesn't care much about politics, it's some greedy king on top either way.

nbraun80

What difficulty are you on? I'm definitely having this issue on the one one notch below the top. Having to use items to regain health means I'm spending a good chunk of my coin making swallows. Getting good at Gwent has helped a bit. I do have a bunch of contracts I'm now going to be leveled to do soon, so that'll bring in tons of coins.
making swallows? you know they refill when you mediate, right? It only uses one alcohol to do it.

yami4ct

I would at least read up on the base lore of the world. Look at the northern kingdoms, their relationship with Nilfgard and an overview of what Witchers are and what they do. After that I think you should be fine from there.

making swallows? you know they refill when you mediate, right? It only uses one alcohol to do it.

That's what I was referring to. When you suck, alcohol ain't cheap. Now that I've gotten better, I don't need it as much.

nbraun80

I would at least read up on the base lore of the world. Look at the northern kingdoms, their relationship with Nilfgard and the kind of overview of what Witchers are and what they do. After that I think you should be fine from there.

That's what I was referring to. When you suck, alcohol ain't cheap. Now that I've gotten better, I don't need it as much.

lol oh ok, just making sure. :) You need to start raiding people's homes more often, I find it all the time when looting, have like 30 in my inventory.

Zomba13

The Scoia'tael are essentially ISIS. They are terrorists who don't see the problem with hurting innocent people just because they've been mistreated in the past and don't so much want equal rights as they want Humans to be beneath them.

The other faction has Vernon Roche and he's a super cool bro.

yami4ct

lol oh ok, just making sure. :) You need to start raiding people's homes more often, I find it all the time when looting, have like 30 in my inventory.

In the early parts, the amount I was using was outstripping what I was gaining. You don't find much just wandering through the wilderness (which is what I was doing), so that didn't help either. Now that I'm back doing normal questing, I'm building stock back quickly.

nbraun80

The Scoia'tael are essentially ISIS. They are terrorists who don't see the problem with hurting innocent people just because they've been mistreated in the past and don't so much want equal rights as they want Humans to be beneath them.

lol whatever, I stand by going the Iorveth path in Witcher 2, helping those dwarf forces defend their home and all.

Chariot

Oh, ouch. ISIS isn't doing what it's doing because the people were mistreated, but because they think their string of Islam is the true one. The squirrels are overzealous freedom fighters who dream of the glorious past of their race, ISIS are religious fanatics.

yami4ct

lol whatever, I stand by going the Iorveth path in Witcher 2, helping those dwarf forces defend their home and all.

Me too man. I disagree with that description of them as well. They are terrorists, sure, but man are elves treated like absolute dog shit in the Witcher-verse. Them turning to violence sure seems like the only viable option for equal rights.

Corpekata

Banned

Mistreated in the past? They are treated as subhuman even in the current times.

Chariot

Me too man. I disagree with that description of them as well. They are terrorists, sure, but man are elves treated like absolute dog shit in the Witcher-verse. Them turning to violence sure seems like the only viable option for equal rights.
Yeah, they just... go overboard at times. Even in inexcusable scale. They have no problems to kill innocent humans or non-humans that live peaceful with humans. It's all around dirty and the lack of a really good-side is one of the best parts in Witcher.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just came across a Game of Thrones reference. I
t's on Skellige on one of those deserted islands where a bandit camp exists. There are "sky cells" and inside one is a dead dwarf that looks like Tyrion, facial scar included, Geralt makes a comment that he didn't fly.

yami4ct

Yeah, they just... go overboard at times. Even in inexcusable scale. They have no problems to kill innocent humans or non-humans that live peaceful with humans. It's all around dirty and the lack of a really good-side is one of the best parts in Witcher.

They go overboard, but it's understandable. That kind of depth of motivation is what makes the Witcher-verse so good, basically an extension of what you mentioned.

The Elves are treated worse than animals at times, so it's easy to see why they'd have no respect for other races. When you're so focused on your own people's suffering, it's hard to feel for the innocents of your oppressors.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I'm loving this game. I played a little bit of Witcher 2 but really had no idea what was going on and found it a bit frustrating.

Usually I just get right into the main story and leave side quests for when I get bored. With this I've not even touched the story yet. I still have the quest to ask about Yennefer after leaving the inn. I've just been exploring the map and seeing what I run into. The side quests are actually fun/interesting.

I'm not even gonna try rush this game. I want to enjoy every moment of it.

It has a lot of diverse characters too and at least there is a lore reason why all northern sorceress' look beautiful.All are bad and good in one way the other. Geralt doesn't care much about politics, it's some greedy king on top either way.

New to the witcher lore, why are all of the sorceress in geralt's life beautiful?

Acinixys

Is there a durability mod?

I wonder which idiot at CDP though it would be a good idea to add degrading weapons to the game

Its probably one of the shittiest mechanics ever invented and serves no purpose but to frustrate the player

Maybe they did it as a money sink but you are broke for most of the game anyway

rage.gif

On the other side, this is the first game I have EVER played where the character you have to follow runs at the same pace as you

If you walk they walk. If you run they run. If you gallop on your horse so do they so they can stay in front.

Its amazing and so satisfying to finally have a game do companion follow mechanics correctly

Chariot

They go overboard, but it's understandable. That kind of depth of motivation is what makes the Witcher-verse so good, basically an extension of what you mentioned.

The Elves are treated worse than animals at times, so it's easy to see why they'd have no respect for other races. When you're so focused on your own people's suffering, it's hard to feel for the innocents of your oppressors.
I can understand that the Squirrels exist and can understand their anger, but they fight a war they can't win. They actually make things worse for the non-humans in general. Humans are the dominant species in the lands and highly militarized thanks to countless wars and monsters. The little Squirrel squads can't do more than poke the humans, while having the circle of revenge going on. How will non-humans ever be accepted by humans when a part of them is regularly killing humans, especially when they kill innocents. It jsut justifies the racists and leads to more humans going on revenge rampages against innocent non-humans.

So far I think Niilfgard is the best bet for equality out of all options I've seen so far. The squirrels are not Ferguson riots, the squirrels are organized extremist terrorists.
New to the witcher lore, why are all of the sorceress in geralt's life beautiful?
Because they can. Almsot all of them used ot be ugly, but the northern sorceress have a tradition in making themselves beautiful with magic.

Corpekata

Banned

They can alter their appearance, so most choose to be pretty (and appear younger than they are).

It doesn't really explain why, for instance, one that's trying to hide in a peasant village would wear a blouse that shows off her boobs to every yokel that wants to cure the scabies though.

Zomba13

I wonder which idiot at CDP though it would be a good idea to add degrading weapons to the game

Its probably one of the shittiest mechanics ever invented and serves no purpose but to frustrate the player

rage.gif

On the other side, this is the first game I have EVER played where the character you have to follow runs at the same pace as you

If you walk they walk. If you run they run. If you gallop on your horse so do they so they can stay in front.

Its amazing and so satisfying to finally have a game do companion follow mechanics correctly

I hate the durability stuff too, especially as it impacts your gears stats so you can't even wait till it gets low to top up, you have to do it a fair bit before it even gets to 50%.

And yeah, I love that people you have to follow speed up if you do. So good.

All right. Done with all quests I can do atm/that I care about in Velen. Next stop the islands, for realsies this time. Until I decide I want to check all of the question marks in the second area.

Majukun

Bloody baron is one of my favorite character ever. Great writing and the voice actor's delivery is perfect.
I agree.. he is a son of a whore for what he does, but it has depth as a character, and the facial animations are spot on

Replicant

Because they change appearance with magic.. in reality they are usually old deformed hags

Hehehe. Way to ruin the fantasy. That'd explain why their beauty looks artificial at times. Some of them look like those Women from "The Housewives of [insert an area name here]".

rage.gif

I must be one of the few people who like it. I've also seen the Witcher games as leaning more on realism, especially preparation. Luckily you can use repair kits mid-combat though, so it's not so realistic that it screws you over, so long as you thought to bring repair kits with you (like potions, food, and oils).

I'm also happy to see cash is hard to come by. Hunting is fairly profitable, but monster contracts are where most of the gold should be coming from if the game is to stay lore-friendly. Witchers are always poor. They need the work just to stay afloat, which is a large part of what drives their morality decisions.

nbraun80

So a little question/discussion for those that have completed the Bloody Baron main quest
So after you find him after he hanged himself, Geralt has a little mono-log where he talks about picking between evils, and he didn't know the choices of freeing the children would eventually get Anna killed. So is there a choice you can make where she lives? I chose to let that tree spirit live and transformed into the horse, because he seemed like a lesser evil than I thought the witches to be, but did anyone kill the tree spirit for the witches? Does it change that story at all? Also I chose the doll with the flower pinned to it, pretty sure that was right, but anyone know what happens if you pick the doll with the bead?

Chariot

Is it ever stated on how old Triss is? I assume Yennifer is pretty old since Geralt has known her for a long time.
Yes, Yennefer is at least 94 years old. How much older n W3, I do not know. Grandpa Geralt and his harem of magical grannies. But we do not know how old Triss is. Probably not a youngling either.

I really hope this sells gangbusters. Want a Witcher 4: Ciri game.
Oh yes, that would be so amazing. Especially if the take what they did in Witcher 3, just overhaul some things like the combat system and give us a bigger and changed open world. That would be so amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom