• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is rare for me to meet a game where I can just forget myself into. I have played 17 hours or so now, and I'm amazed how doing side quests and exploring random sites can be so interesting. Gwent is also very fun. I'm very close to having a second playable deck.

Maximo

Hopefully the performance issues are fixed soon alot of freezes and game has completly crashed unable to close the game and have had to restart my computer manually a few times.

Some of the combat music is so incredibly amazing.

Anyway, while exploring Velen, I came to Fyke Isle, a small island with a tower. Almost non-existent location spoilers with a question:
There was nothing here except for chests with some random treasure. Doors were knocking and opening/closing by themselves, there was a woman's cry and some notes. Said on the map that this is a haunted place and I should use the medallion that I got from an earlier quest, but I tried everything and couldn't use it. Not sure if glitch or if this is the site of a future quest.

Anyway, while exploring Velen, I came to Fyke Isle, a small island with a tower. Almost non-existent location spoilers with a question:
There was nothing here except for chests with some random treasure. Doors were knocking and opening/closing by themselves, there was a woman's cry and some notes. Said on the map that this is a haunted place and I should use the medallion that I got from an earlier quest, but I tried everything and couldn't use it. Not sure if glitch or if this is the site of a future quest.

I'm playing the PS4 version. Select it by pressing L1 menu and equip it and use it with R1. Use your witcher senses when you're nearby those too.

Kiraly

Haven't had a single crash on me (PS4).

Came across two minor things that seemed to be bugs.

Bit annoyed by the broken playtime counter though.

UberLevi

Just did the mission that introduces Johnny. All I can say is wow, what an excellent character. Most of the people I've met in this game so far are just really well done. Particularly Johnny and the Bloody Baron.

Had by first crash in Skellige region during a side mission and it was during a fucking dialogue. The good thing is that the autosave was not very far behind, phew...

Patch 1.03 must come ASAP and i hope it adresses those issues. And the framerate drops.

viveks86

witcher32015-05-2302-28-59.png

witcher32015-05-2301-37-27.png

witcher32015-05-2300-32-47.png

witcher32015-05-2302-59-12.png

witcher32015-05-2302-31-28.png

Seanspeed

Banned
Easiest way for cash is looting the weapons from humans you encounter in quests/side missions and selling them to blacksmiths.
I wasn't being sarcastic! I like that money is hard to come by.

And yea, I'm looting pretty much everything in sight. Though really, weapons tend to net me like 8 coins, so it's not really my best source of income. What I've found is best is selling things like hides and various other junk like rakes and rope ladders. Things that have materials I can replenish or get elsewhere easily. But it's always a compromise. Which again, is good. I feel like I'm having to really think carefully about what I spend my money on and what I sell vs dismantle.

Beefy

I guess I'm still confused about this though. Some of the stones are greyed out and others are not. I go back and visit the ones that are not greyed out and I can't grey them out. I don't get it. I think something is seriously fucked with the map.

Maybe loot or a monster around it? Or could be a bug.

Grady

Anyone else not making any progress as a result of sidequests and markers. Crazy. Takes forever to level up in death march too. 15 hours in and still level 4, lol. Also have a quest that says recommended level 33. This will take ages to complete, and i am ok with that. Only gripe so far is all my coin is spent on repairing equipment. Income is too low compared to repair prices.

fantomena

Quesiton if anyone has finished the game: When the game is finished, can you still explore the world, do side quests and stuff or does the game go to NG+ (if it has it)?

Cool, where are they?

The bad thing is that they don't show up on the map, while in Oxenfurt he does. Same goes for blacksmiths and merchants too sometimes. And it's not 'cause it's night.

Near the quest board, north part of novigrad
Southeast, but he is pretty useless (always drunk, lol)

Heh, I assume you got there right after Wandering in the Dark? Just got there myself and it was like the game was telling me to go check it out. I'm amazed at how atmospheric some of the places are, they consistently manage to keep what would amount to slashing and looting interesting.

Stoze

I think I'm like 35 hours in, still level 8 in Velen. I thought the map was big but manageable when first stepping foot here, but it is absolutely fucking huge. I haven't touched Novigrad, Oxenfurt, or Skellige. The game is seriously almost incomprehensibly massive, and it takes me so long to get through because I take in all the details, go into every house I see, scour any landmarks I come across, etc.

I did make some progress in the main story though, some dark, heartbreaking stuff in Blood Baron/Family Matters quests.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I have 3 red werewolf mutagens and 1 water hag. Can I break these down to become 4 red mutagens then create a greater red?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would someone like to explain me if I should upgrade the serpentine's silver sword and how to upgrade witcher stuff in general?

Pretty straight forward; there are several Witcher gear sets in the game, and crafting schematics can be discovered to upgrade them. Witcher gear schematics are tied to locations in the game world that have to be discovered. Maps can be found on vendors that'll point to upgrade locations. Check your "treasures" quest log tab to see if any are active.

Only concern with upgrading Witcher gear would be the level requirement. No reason not to upgrade, but you'd want to do it when you can actually wear/use the stuff.

Staf

This game just constantly surprises you, in a good way that is. Just got to Novigrad and man... this is a city full of life and scale.

boskee

I think I'm like 35 hours in, still level 8 in Velen. I thought the map was big but manageable when first stepping foot here, but it is absolutely fucking huge. I haven't touched Novigrad, Oxenfurt, or Skellige. The game is seriously almost incomprehensibly massive, and it takes me so long to get through because I take in all the details, go into every house I see, scour any landmarks I come across, etc.

I did make some progress in the main story though, some dark, heartbreaking stuff in Blood Baron/Family Matters quests.

So far I have put over 65 hours into this game and I am not even done with Bloody Baron's quest line and I don't feel like I am wandering aimlessly. I complete quests, explore area, hunt treasures and from what I understand I haven't even done 1/3 of the game.

I had some doubts when Damien Monnier claimed it's easily 200 hours of thorough gamplay, but unless they pull Act 3 from TW2 on me, it looks like he was right.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just about every Witcher is dead and there's like 3-4 Witchers left in the world as far as we know. Geralt is pretty much THE legendary Witcher on his own, which is why everyone knows him.

Yup, if I remember the books correctly there are so few Witchers left because there are "less" monsters that require them and people have turned to regular means to deal with them. In addition, the secrets to creating more Witchers i.e. subjecting them to the "Trial of Grasses" has been lost. So it's not like more Witchers can be made even if they wanted to and the process is not easy. Witchers are trained at an early age and subjected to the Trial where 2-3 out of every 10 children die from the process and often suffer odd mutations as a result. Geralt's white hair is the result of his mutations which occurred while under going the Trial.

I'm still curious as to the differences between the various schools.

Yeah, there's two of them in that quest.
I really liked Lambert, apparently he's in the first game?

Indeed.
Lambet's a jackass, but that's why I like him.

EDIT:

I have a question for everyone, is their a downside for being overdlevelled mean to the point where a quest is grey? I suddenly got overlevelled later in the game and decided that it must mean that it was time to continue doing the main quest instead of doing more side quests. But, I don't know if that is what the game wants. I'm afraid I'm playing the game wrong when I ignore all the side content to do a main mission because I'm like 4 or so levels above the suggested level.

AngerdX

Finally got time to play some, and wow maxed it out and it runs fine for me, still at white orchard and in general i´m highly impressed sofar, now only real complaint i got sofar is the darn control, i really hoped they learned by now these tank controls are kinda messing with the experience for me heh

Has anyone had trouble with some quests not being marked as completed? It's really bothering me...

I feel like all the treasure hunt quests are bugged for me.

Dirty Funds, Deserter Gold, Temerian Valuables.

I think I got all those quests in White Orchard and I cleared the whole map. Anyone know what might be the problem?

Has anyone had trouble with some quests not being marked as completed? It's really bothering me...

I feel like all the treasure hunt quests are bugged for me.

Dirty Funds, Deserter Gold, Temerian Valuables.

I think I got all those quests in White Orchard and I cleared the whole map. Anyone know what might be the problem?

What step are you on for them? Did you read the associated notes?

wrowa

Man, I just can't decide if I should (Velen, Ladies of the Woods)
free the tree spirit or kill it.

From what I understand the decision changes
what happens to the Baron and his wife, but in the end the result is that both will leave the game at the end of the quest line anyway

Vico

Man, I just can't decide if I should (Velen, Ladies of the Woods)
free the tree spirit or kill it.

From what I understand the decision changes
what happens to the Baron and his wife, but in the end the result is that both will leave the game at the end of the quest line anyway

I'm there myself.
Really don't know what to do.

What step are you on for them? Did you read the associated notes?

Dirty Funds says to read the letter I found, but I've read every letter I have already and the quest doesn't seem to update.

The other two just say to search for the treasure using the Witcher Senses. Pretty sure I've found both treasures though.

Guess I'm going to just look at a guide and find out for sure.

None of the quests have a marker associated with them. I try to track them but nothing shows up on any of the maps.

boskee

Dirty Funds says to read the letter I found, but I've read every letter I have already and the quest doesn't seem to update.

The other two just say to search for the treasure using the Witcher Senses. Pretty sure I've found both treasures though.

Guess I'm going to just look at a guide and find out for sure.

None of the quests have a marker associated with them. I try to track them but nothing shows up on any of the maps.

Did you check both consumables (where eltters and books are) AND quest items? Two different groups in the inventory.

I'm switching back to gamepad for now. It's easier to dodge with a gamepad. Opening & switching between menus is kinda a hassle, but I can deal with that. Playing the game from my comfy couch worth it.
Is there a button for quicksave on gamepad for PC?

Ceebs

Finally made it to Novigrad (22 hours in). It totally feels like an Assassins Creed city inside another already massive open world game. The scale is just crazy impressive. Even more impressive is that it feels different than Oxenfurt as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom