• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What difficulty are you playing on? Im level 4 at 15 hours in. But i did almost all side shit. My main quests still read level 5 recommended. Barely touches it so far.
Main quests and Witcher contracts level you fast. Been doing a mix of those and I'm level 10 after about 15 hours

Khasim

I'm working on the first tier of upgrades to the Ursine Gear, and I can't craft the steel sword because it requires Nigredo - I don't have the recipe. I cleared probably about 3/4 of questions marks in Velen, some in Skellige, checked absolutely all the merchants I have access to and still no luck. Also completed many witcher contracts, but few sidequests (only the quests for the 3 sorceresses IIRC)

Does anybody have an idea where I can find the damn recipe? Do I get it in some kind of story mission? I just finished the first batch of Skellige quest and now I'm going back to Velen to get
that little ugly bastard Uma

Is it possible that (side character arc spoilers from Velen)
Keira sold it and I didn't notice? I killed her way before I went to Skellige.

It is a thing of beauty when the wind starts howling and a storm starts brewing.

Went back to White Orchard to gain some experience and clear out my inventory/craft some gear. Why is Emerald Dust that expensive. I found some early on but used it to make my Viper Silver Sword. I need more now to make my Viper Steel Sword.

So does anyone know what's the deal with the weather widget showing a bloody moon and snowflakes, I only noticed it once when I was on a main quest and I was sure that it meant that the Wild Hunt was there, but nothing happened.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless something seriously crazy happens this will very likely end up possibly my favorite game of all time.

It's getting there. Which is a weird feeling. But yeah. All in all, this could be it, the kingslayer of games. As a complete package this could be my favourite game ever.

Almost felt bad for kicking Triss to the curb. Almost.

w1aesid.png

Impossible.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks again for this tip! Just got done with a session using the tweaks and its such a huge improvement. One of the biggest nitpicks with the game was having to rely on the Quick menu to switch Signs. Its amazing how much functionality you can squeeze out of the Touchpad. Still bummed theres no way to set up shift modifier to cast signs directly but this'll do nicely. I set mine up so that...

Swipe up - Aard,
Swipe down - Ingi,
Swipe Left - Yrden,
Swipe right - Axii,
PS button - Quen
Touch Left - Quest log
Touch Right - Map
Touch Up - Skills
Multitouch - Save game

I also rebound the "options" button to the KB "backspace" because a short press takes you to the regular menu but if you hold it it'll take you directly into inventory. I think thats how the controller is suppose to work by default but it doesnt work for me.

Damn that seems useful. How good is it at recognising the swipes during play?

Might be time to buy DS4.

Certinty

Generally I'm not the best with RPGs, how easy/hard is the lowest difficulty? Can I complete the game without having to do many side quests?

Robiin

I found a merchant that I saved from bandits, gave me the 70 capacity bags. After you save him he's in Claywich, you can save him to the right of Claywich on an bigger island connected to it.
I saved this dude too. Then I went to Claywich but I couldn't find him there. Is he marked as a merchant or nothing at all? Do you remember where in the town he resides? I would really like that capacity upgrade!

Skyzard

Banned
Generally I'm not the best with RPGs, how easy/hard is the lowest difficulty? Can I complete the game without having to do many side quests?

Press B when they are going to attack you ...

Attack them when they miss :p

It's fun. Haven't actually dropped the difficulty down from blood and bones yet but watched some footage on normal and that seems easy enough...

Side quests are always optional aren't they? (I don't play many RPGs so I'm curious too). The side quests can be pretty decent so I don't skip all of them.

Cranberrys

I don't understand. I don't have this problem at all. When you press the stick slightly he starts to run?

Not exactly run but he starts to move funny. If I slightly press the stick he walks and if I release the stick very often he goes on walking for like another 3 steps before stopping.

Sometimes inside a house, he does a sort of funny spin when I slightly move the stick to make him walk. It's weird. At first I thought that my stick was faulty but it works perfectly on any other game so I suppose the problem comes from TW3. It's like it's oversensitive or something.

Im finding that I am having more performance issues indoors in this game and not so much outside. Strange, the outdoor parts Ive seen so far at least look to be more demanding on the hardware. (PS4)

Certinty

Press B when they are going to attack you ...

Attack them when they miss :p

It's fun. Haven't actually dropped the difficulty down from blood and bones yet but watched some footage on normal and that seems easy enough...

Side quests are always optional aren't they? (I don't play many RPGs so I'm curious too). The side quests can be pretty decent so I don't skip all of them.
That sounds good enough then, really just want to play through the main story and would rather not bother about side stuff but I also don't want it to hamper my progress later on. Thanks.

It's getting there. Which is a weird feeling. But yeah. All in all, this could be it, the kingslayer of games. As a complete package this could be my favourite game ever.

It's already taken that crown for me and my last favorite game held it for 21 years, it knocked even the nostalgia out of the way to take the win. It's actually quite hard to explain fully what makes this game what it is because it's the culmination of various aspects all being handled to near perfection.The world pulls together in a way most open worlds fail to. In this, each location feels it fits geographically, yet it's there for so much more than just to look pretty. It creates a great vista sure, but almost every location that looks noteworthy comes with a fully fleshed out story or two, perhaps more rather than just a new item to be found. It gives every inch of the world life.

The weather and wind plays into this since the exact same path can feel like a different journey depending on the weather, time of day etc. It's the life the world carries that makes it so special. It can be a massive story chain or just a boy crying over his lost home, but everything adds to the incredible sense of immersion. When you add all this up you get a game that, well isn't that much like a typical game. It breaks a bunch of stereotypes that we're accustomed to in terms of sidequests where the reward would usually be equipment.

Equipment is rarely a carrot on a stick here for quests, because you don't need a carrot on a stick when the quest itself is already interesting on it's own merits. It's an incredible triumph in game design, particularly open world game design, and I feel that call this anything less than a masterpiece is selling itself short in my opinion, flaws and all.

Hagi

Knocking Wyverns into the sea is instant death by drowning lol love this game.

Just started getting into Witcher contracts after 24 hours and man they are so good.

Skyzard

Banned
That sounds good enough then, really just want to play through the main story and would rather not bother about side stuff but I also don't want it to hamper my progress later on. Thanks.

I'd say to wait for more info from others but really, go for it, it's an awesome game. I haven't been big on RPGs since a young age either.

You get most of the XP from quests and not much from random fights, I'm not sure if you have to do some to level up enough through the main story on the easier difficulties, but I don't think you'll be too disappointed with some quests if you do find yourself a bit underlevelled.

Tbh I go against level 20s as a level 4 lol. Especially with a horse. But if you mess up you get cut down quick, and archer shots can be brutal. But that's pretty big level difference and one setting above normal.

Just one thing to lookout for, the enemies don't scale with your level afaik so you can run into dangerous groups when out exploring new areas.

People were suggesting to actually start on higher difficulties (blood and bones) if you like a bit more of a challenge as the normal setting was a bit on the easy side.

M.D

Where can I locate The Witcher 2 saves? I know about the ones in "Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves", but for some reasons there are only a couple of old saves there now instead of the end-game that I saved a couple of minutes ago

I have the steam cloud thing turned on, could that be it?

pahamrick

I think I've got the card game pretty well figured out.

So far I've been able to beat everyone I've come across within two attempts. Almost feel like I'm exploiting the AI.

Where/how do I get (or buy) Gwent cards? I haven't really touched that part of the game yet but would like to now. Every time I play though I get demolished, so I figure I need more cards.

Dresden

Knocking Wyverns into the sea is instant death by drowning lol love this game.

Just started getting into Witcher contracts after 24 hours and man they are so good.

Oh, so that's an actual thing? There was no loot when it happened for me and I figured it had just bugged out.

Started up a new profile on Death March. I think I was close to the end of the game, but I missed a lot of content and the game was getting so easy so I wanted to mix it up.

No meditation healing is killer. D:

Skyzard

Banned
Where/how do I get (or buy) Gwent cards? I haven't really touched that part of the game yet but would like to now. Every time I play though I get demolished, so I figure I need more cards.

Haven't touched it either yet but I've seen a lot of traders sell them, you can buy from them or ask to play a game. Seen cards go for about 50 gold on average so far iirc.

aku:jiki

The slightest notion that this kind of quality, content, and vision will be applied to Cyberpunk is very exciting.
I'm hoping so much that the same people are in charge of it, because if I can get a cyberpunk themed game that has basically everything good about this game, I might just die. Like, don't even bother redesigning, just reskin W3 and add guns and hacking. Please have the same art director and head writer at least.

(Fire the UI designer though, then sentence him to 100 lashes.)

Ark

Is there any kind of penalty for choosing the greedy options for quests?

Really early on spoilers:
I just did the side-quest where I have to find the hunter's wife in Velen. When I went to the woods the wife's sister showed up and offered to pay me twice as much to tell him that his wife was dead. Obviously she's clingy and murderous, but I wanted the money. Can't remember how much gold she gave me, but I got 72exp from it and I was wondering if there was any tangible consequence to choosing these greedy options every time? Because if there aren't, I'm going with the options for more money each and every time.

I think I've got the card game pretty well figured out.

So far I've been able to beat everyone I've come across within two attempts. Almost feel like I'm exploiting the AI.

Once you get a good Nilfgardian deck you can pretty much wreck anybody, their cards are ridiculously strong.

Ah man. Just did Yen's personal subquest (early Island area quest, spoilery title for readers)
The Last Wish. I'm a Triss guy and holy shit this was heartbreaking. She wanted to do all of this to see if they still loved one another once it was all said and done. After we cut off the connection and she said she still felt the same way for Geralt, only for me to tell her that Geralt no longer felt anything for her.... jesus. Her reaction, and the conversation, the emotions. Everything was just heartbreakingly perfect

I don't think anybody can do this quest and not give it to CDPR for its writing. Jesus Christ. I'll eventually do another run and choose the opposite. Just not anytime soon lol

Where can I locate The Witcher 2 saves? I know about the ones in "Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves", but for some reasons there are only a couple of old saves there now instead of the end-game that I saved a couple of minutes ago

I have the steam cloud thing turned on, could that be it?

Look in

<steam_install_directory>\userdata\<user_id>\20920\remote\

Some traders sell them.

Gwent is an addictive game ^^

Mostly inkeepers sell them, but the best cards are won when playing the Gwent sidequests. These are the only way to win unique cards. Oh and be warned some characters that you need to play with to get them can die depending on your choices in other quests.

AEREC

This game. Just hit 20 hours, mostly focused on story though I did go back to white orchard to complete everything there, and I feel like im still just scratching the surface. Just finished the crones of the bog quest in Velen.
I went with freeing the druid
. Bought to start the Bloody Baron quest.

I do find that I am usually broke as hell...maybe I need to start playing Gwent or do more contracts.

Is there any kind of penalty for choosing the greedy options for quests?

Really early on spoilers:
I just did the side-quest where I have to find the hunter's wife in Velen. When I went to the woods the wife's sister showed up and offered to pay me twice as much to tell him that his wife was dead. Obviously she's clingy and murderous, but I wanted the money. Can't remember how much gold she gave me, but I got 72exp from it and I was wondering if there was any tangible consequence to choosing these greedy options every time? Because if there aren't, I'm going with the options for more money each and every time.

Well, you end up missing
any items you'd get from the quest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom