• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I gotta admit I kinda hate the skill system with only being able to have certain ones active. I'm more prone to putting points into something I already have slotted instead of something new because I don't have room for a new one.

OmegaDL50

So is there a way to respec in this game?

I've been putting points into signs, but... I'm kinda regretting a few of my choices :(

Potion of Clearance.

Alchemists sell them.

I gotta admit I kinda hate the skill system with only being able to have certain ones active. I'm more prone to putting points into something I already have slotted instead of something new because I don't have room for a new one.

Well the way the skill system is comprised of entirely of passive abilities.

It's not like say Diablo in which you have skills that you need to manually activate.

So having a total of 12 passive abilities can create some seriously over powered combinations if you mix and match the right skills along with the bonuses that come with matching colored Mutagens.

catspit

What's a good way to earn money earlier in the game on blood and broken bones difficulty ? I find that when I sell all of my extra items I have to spend it all on food items to get my health back up. :/

Corpekata

Banned
What's a good way to earn money earlier in the game on blood and broken bones difficulty ? I find that when I sell all of my extra items I have to spend it all on food items to get my health back up. :/

Do you not have the swallow potion yet?

Are you still in White Orchard?

tesqui

I go through phases where I really like this game and then phases where I absolutely hate it. This combat doesn't work like combat should work. When I hit the dodge button, I should be able to DODGE the enemy. Far too often bosses, and stronger enemies seem impossible to dodge without using the roll. I wouldn't mind the roll if it didn't shoot me like 20 feet away from the enemy. By the time I recover from it, there already ready to attack again rendering it useless in a lot of cases.

finalflame

I go through phases where I really like this game and then phases where I absolutely hate it. This combat doesn't work like combat should work. When I hit the dodge button, I should be able to DODGE the enemy. Far too often bosses, and stronger enemies seem impossible to dodge without using the roll. I wouldn't mind the roll if it didn't shoot me like 20 feet away from the enemy. By the time I recover from it, there already ready to attack again rendering it useless in a lot of cases.

Dodge isn't an auto-dodge. It takes careful time and positioning to dodge effectively, especially for bosses. To me, it actually feels quite similar to the sidestep in Bloodborne, but much clumsier and the controls aren't nearly as tight.

However, I agree movement isn't great. My biggest gripe, now, I think comes from the camera and lock-on. Sometimes the camera goes haywire and locking on doesn't work quite as expected, requiring more work than it's really worth. However, I have been getting used to it over time.

Radec

Is there a good looking armor at levels 12-15?

I look like a fucking jester.

If in the future dlc there's a transmog feature like in D3 I'll buy the season pass instantly.

Edzi

The combat works, and the dodge works too. Sounds more like you need to adapt to how the game expects you to use its tools.

I don't think the dodge in this game has i-frames, so try timing it earlier than you would in games like Bloodborne. Also, instead of dodging backwards, it tends to work better for me to dodge sideways or diagonally towards the enemy's back.

CoolOff

So, two things.

I'm currently trying to be the good guy running in to a burning s
table
, but I can't seem to figure out how to get out of there when I drop down to the floor level. I'm supposed to "open the door" but I can't for the life of me find said door.

Secondly, does anyone have any tips on fighting from horseback? I gave it a try when clearing out a bandit camp and even though galloping made them miss all their swings, I couldn't get many hits in either. The timing seems crazy difficult even at low speeds?

Dead

well not really...yet
Is there a good looking armor at levels 12-15?

I look like a fucking jester.

If in the future dlc there's a transmog feature like in D3 I'll buy the season pass instantly.
Griffin Armor

Griffin Hunter is like level 10 and looks great

You need to find diagrams for Witcher Armor for the good stuff

Stoze

As I've leveled up more my opinions have changed on some skills and abilities. For instance, I thought Aard was pretty bad when I started, Igni basically did the same thing and then some. Now I think the opposite, Igni's damage isn't high enough even with high sign intensity, yet Aard knocks down at least half the people it hits, meaning free kills. I also now think taking Tawny Owl over Thunderbolt is better a choice, even if you aren't magic specced.

Quen is still god though.

OmegaDL50

Don't sell all of your items at the same merchant.

Different merchants give you more based on what you sell to them.

General Merchants will give you money for things like Wolf and Rabbit Pelts basically generic clutter you pick up like rings and whatnot.

Only sell weapons and armor to Blacksmiths. Case in point a Rusty Novigrad Sword might get you 3 to 5 gold pieces from a general merchant where a blacksmith is more likely to give you 8 to 10 gold pieces.

Also sell your unwanted Alchemy ingredients to Herbalists and Alchemists.

Basically sell items only to what merchants deal in.

Radec

Search youtube for "witcher 3 seashells"

:)

Just don't overdo it, some people getting their coins rolled back. I just stop before hitting 20k and do it again whenever i need money.

ironcreed

Banned
Got the full Ursine set.

1506607_893876674009434_6033745762014945717_n.jpg

It's quite nice.

Dodge has been fairly consistent for me. I am able to use it against fairly large enemies too, though diagonal dodges usually still keep me within their attack range - I have to dodge left or right when facing them.

TraBuch

Banned
To the left of Fyke Island, there's an area with three question marks clumped together. One of them is a Point of Power but I can't seem to find it, or one of the other question marks. The third one was a Hidden Treasure. Figured it was underground somewhere but the only cave I found in the area was the exit of a quest I completed earlier. Anyone know how to get to that PoP and the other question mark?

Jedi2016

Dodge isn't an auto-dodge. It takes careful time and positioning to dodge effectively, especially for bosses.
This is what I'm struggling with right now. I much prefer the larger enemies that are easier to telegraph. Bears, for example, are a joke right now, I can kill them without taking a scratch. Dodging around in a large group of baddies is tough, though.. I'll move right into one or be so focused on one that I won't see the others come in suddenly from the side and hit me before I can do anything. Fucking Water Hags. I'm relying heavily on Quen right now, but I don't really want to be in that spot.

Helps when you can see them better, too... that one werewolf fight in the dark cave (most of you know the one, I think) went so much better once I popped a Cat and could actually see the fucker.

OmegaDL50

More interesting info folks

There is 6 Places of Power in White Orchard, 5 in Velen, 2 in Novigrad, and 7 in Skellige. and 1 in another place later on in the game.

That means a total of 21 extra skill points from Places of Power, Plus 69 points you earn at level 2 to 70. For a grand total of 90 skill points total to earn.

Hope you find this information useful folks.

Been doing some contracts, and poison from the poisoned blades talent is kinda broken right now. I guess it deals a percentage of their health as damage, and ticks per second, which would be fine if the damage was capped against larger hp pools. It's not, though, so against a leshen it was ticking for like 1k a second. Just melted it down.

Alchemy build was pretty bonkers in The Witcher 2 as well. Upkeep wasn't as bad as you were led to believe either.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Well boys, remember to actually put the skills into the slots on the character screen. Otherwise they are doing jack shit.

Just figured that out after ~10 hours of playtime.

Radec

More interesting info folks

There is 6 Places of Power in White Orchard, 5 in Velen, 2 in Novigrad, and 7 in Skellige. and 1 in another place later on in the game.

That means a total of 21 extra skill points from Places of Power, Plus 69 points you earn at level 2 to 70. For a grand total of 90 skill points total to earn.

Hope you find this information useful folks.

Ehat are these places of power? Is it a quest? Or just like a treasure?

Any suggestions on valuable skills to spend points on, especially early?

If you're on Blood & Broken Bones or above, there's a special (yellow) skill that gives Geralt a little HP regen during the day, and stamina during the night. Without auto-heal during meditation, it is all but necessary to survive early on.

The red skill that lets you parry projectiles is pretty good, too. Can't imagine playing without at least one level in it.

Jesus the baron quest is getting more depressing by the minute :(

It's depressing but also a very touching quest. It's really up there as one of the greatest quests I've played in a game because of how determined I was to plug along and see how it all concludes. And of course how it does depends on your choice. It's going to be a highlight of replaying it.

OmegaDL50

Ehat are these places of power? Is it a quest? Or just like a treasure?

You can't miss them if you have ? listed on the map when you explore it's is one of those spots.

You may be playing the game with all of the points of interest turned off from the map, they are large stone shrines you can discover in various locations that give you a temporary boost of a spell for a set duration but also visiting one for the first time gives you a permanent skill point to spend.

KingKong

assuming loot isn't randomized, if anyone is level 11+ and wants to upgrade their griffin swords, the Jenny and the graveyard contracts dropped level 10 and 11 steel/silver relic swords that do ~20 more damage, have nice modifiers and 3 upgrade slots

RDreamer

The trophies say they can be turned in for a reward. Anyone know where that is?

Also, is there any way to see an hours played counter on the PS4?

Got hit by that bloated playtime glitch again on the PS4, first it added eight hours, now it seems to have added a whole day. I'm look at around twenty-four hours of actual play time, game states sixty six. Guess I'll never know at this point.

tuxfool

Banned
If you're on Blood & Broken Bones or above, there's a special (yellow) skill that gives Geralt a little HP regen during the day, and stamina during the night. Without auto-heal during meditation, it is all but necessary to survive early on.

I didn't get that skill. With food and swallow you can get by just fine. Alcohest is just about everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom