• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Turned PoI's off last night and it is so much better just randomly stumbling across things in the world. Got jumped by a bandit camp all on horses.

This improved the game so much for me once I switched it off. Makes moving around the world so much more interesting.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Am I the only one who finds Yennefer
totally off-putting? Triss has a manipulative side, sure, but Yennefer comes off as very femme fatale and I don't find her interactions with Geralt to be nearly as romantic as the ones with Triss.

As a minor example, there are two party quests in the game that require you to get dressed up, one with Triss and one with Yenn. Triss will compliment the hell out of you if you choose to abide her request to wear a doublet, but will also be very understanding if you refuse. Yenn, on the other hand, moans about your choice unless you do exactly what she instructed. Why so pushy? I don't see Geralt being all "wear this bearskin loincloth when we go adventuring," Yenn.

Bottom-line: Triss is more Tali/Liara. Sincere, respectful and warm.

Yenn is more Morrigan/Miranda. Controlling, calculating and cold.

I haven't read the books, but several people have said that Yen and Triss are pretty faithful to their characterization in said books.

(Triss/Yen backstory stuff)
Yen has issues with Geralt that relate back to said books, and the two's shared past, which gets addressed in one of her personal side quests. She also lightens up (somewhat) in her quests in Skellige.

Meanwhile, Triss was just happy to be with the amnesiac Geralt in the first two games due to her long-ish standing crush on him.

im new as well and im still unsure on how I feel about the combat. One thing for sure its not the reason why I play the game. If anything its the only crutch in terms of the game being perfect. I would not mind if it played like a hack and slash considering the situations it throws at you.

Ya wolves, drowners ect. Can be a pain in the ass when in groups. The one on one fights the combat works extremely well.

The one thing I love is that the game doesnt really allow you to farm xp to over level your character. You have to find/craft better gear and your leveling up gives you points to put into your abilitys instead of giving you more HP and life.

TheFatMan

Anyone know if any side quests expire, aside from the ones in White Orchard at the beginning of the game?

I have a few side quests to help
Triss, Roche and Radovin
during the Novigard section of the main story and I'm worried that if I keep going with the main story they will expire.

Anyone?

Starviper

zi1Bo8T.png

I love how serious Geralt is about Gwent.

"Stop peddling your wares so we can play some cards"

Shit just got real

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's 5 that can be missed in White Orchard:

Find the brother, the arsonist quest, the merchant asking for the box, the herbalist on death's bed quest, and the frying pan lady quest.

I think a good rule of thumb is complete any secondary quests that you can but contracts don't expire and can be completed any time.

I did all the other ones... Do any other regions have expiring quests?

Forkball

I am totally ignoring Gwent. Are there any non-card rewards from playing it consistently? I don't want to miss out on some awesome sword because I don't want to spend ten minutes clicking on cards.

Furyous

I just dropped 500 crowns on some emerald dust. I am weak for that serpentine sword set.

I did the same for Serpetine silver sword and it's word every penny in Velen. How far away am I from the introduction of Runes? The grind to gain experience points is the biggest bullshit ever. I'm two levels away from the suggested level to complete Family Matters part two and the grind is tough. Is it better to just grind places of power and use abilities to work my way through?

Given my play style Bear armor is pointless where as Cat is okay but Griffin armor is where I need to be.

Turned PoI's off last night and it is so much better just randomly stumbling across things in the world. Got jumped by a bandit camp all on horses.

Had the same experience on my way to face this old man that cheats in Gwent. Lemme take a sec to talk about this fuckery. Dude uses medic cards that pull out the value of all his medic cards. This means a card worth points turns into a card worth 92 points in ONE MOVE. I kissed the ground after I grinded out a W.

Back on topic.... Came across a high level bandit camp near this card player. Went in using Quen and Aard. Cheated thanks to Sun of the Stars as I backed away and let my stamina regen as I took out enemies. Spent 20 minutes fending off attackers, dogs, and arrows.

Maximo

Havent explored much of skellige but when you do holy crap sailing the high seas finding castles and conquering the monsters within really fucking cool place.

Anyone able to help, regarding bloody Baron quest

Just found Tamara now I have to find Anna. Quest says investigate all leads but there's no marker on the map for me to head to. Quest entry says she must be in crookback bog so I've headed there but I've been wandering around for ages with no luck. Is there supposed to be a quest marker on the map or am I just missing something.

Afrodium

Banned

Just found Tamara now I have to find Anna. Quest says investigate all leads but there's no marker on the map for me to head to. Quest entry says she must be in crookback bog so I've headed there but I've been wandering around for ages with no luck. Is there supposed to be a quest marker on the map or am I just missing something.

Just try some other quests for now.

There is another quest that ties into that.
You have to do the elven ruins quest with Kiera 1st. That gives you quest to go to Crookbag Bog.

Afrodium

Banned
I did the same for Serpetine silver sword and it's word every penny in Velen. How far away am I from the introduction of Runes? The grind to gain experience points is the biggest bullshit ever. I'm two levels away from the suggested level to complete Family Matters part two and the grind is tough. Is it better to just grind places of power and use abilities to work my way through?

Given my play style Bear armor is pointless where as Cat is okay but Griffin armor is where I need to be.

You should never really have to grind in this game because the bulk of XP comes from completing quests. If you don't have many to do then just hit up some notice boards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am totally ignoring Gwent. Are there any non-card rewards from playing it consistently? I don't want to miss out on some awesome sword because I don't want to spend ten minutes clicking on cards.

I don't know if there's anything in the long run, but you are missing out on the satisfaction of smashing the peons into the dirt with your deck.

Vire

So I've beaten everything in White Orchid and I'm really enjoying the game, but I do have quite a few gripes.

Quick thoughts from a first time Witchah! Player.

Positives:
+The world is absolutely huge and ripe with tons of awesome side quests to do!
+ I'm amazed at the amount of random NPC's who have dialogue options and break into cutscenes. Usually in most RPG's all of the townsfolk simply rattle off one or two lines and that's it. Wonder if Tabata from Square Enix is playing this and sweating bullets, FFXV feels laughably constrained by comparison.
+Day/night cycle really adds a lot to the world and make each area feel different on subsequent visits.
+Lot's of depth with the different loot and items you pick up/ability to craft/alchemy all that jazz
+For an RPG the action is adequate and I'm enjoying the combat on the higher difficulties as it feels pretty tense. I feel like I do a lot of damage, but at the same time I take a lot of damage - fair but tough.

Negatives:
- Movement feels like you are controlling a tank at times and I'm frequently frustrated when I hit "X" to either get on a horse or select something and the game continually ignores my commands.
- There are lot's of antiquated PC game design decisions that drive me nuts about this game. The fall damage, encumbrance, repairing weapons and gear are all incredibly annoying design decisions that are stuck in the 1990's.
- Framerate sucks during rainy conditions.
- Voice acting is incredibly hit and miss. Some of the side characters and minor roles sound absolutely great, but other times (specifically Geralt) it can actually be really really poor. Part of the problem is that the characters never quite sound like they are actually talking to each other. The voice actors most likely recorded their lines in separate booths, never even seeing the other person in the conversation... and it shows. It's really a shame because it makes it hard for me to care about the story at this point.

With all that being said, I'm very much enjoying the game and I feel like I'm gonna be here till September trying to beat it all...

Maximo

It's funny before skellige I went to every notice board to find places of internet on the map, but with skellige there is something so satisfying just sailing to a island not knowing what there.

That's part of the questline.
You should get a lead to find the Sisters of the Woods near Downwarren.

Ok cool
I did the ruins part before I went looking for Tamara now I can't seem to find the quest in my log don't suppose you remember it's name?
Thanks for the help guys.

Serrato

My major gripe with this game is that I hate to go in the inventory every time to change bombs and Potions or oils. I wish there was a interactive menu when I press tab to get one.

Or at least more than two shortcuts...

Ok cool
I did the ruins part before I went looking for Tamara now I can't seem to find the quest in my log don't suppose you remember it's name?
Thanks for the help guys.
If I recall correctly
Keira gives you a book called "Ladies of the woods" or something like that which if you read gives you your next lead.

Salsa

done nothin but play the game all day and now im finally where I was at on my normal/blood and broken bones playthrough

enjoying it much more on death march. also took the chance to make some different decisions and im surprised how it directly alters how you can tackle some missions

death march is the way to go. worth it

Blastoise

Banned
I'm playing on normal, and I'm level 4. I just took out a level 14 camp, killing about 8 men.

I don't think the recommended quest levels really matter (at least on normal).

Saint9806

Tower of Mice
was a really great side quest. Even though once you got to the tower, there was no combat, it was just creepy being there and had a very interesting story behind it. My favorite quest so far besides the Griffin battle.

frontovik

Banned
I'm playing on normal, and I'm level 4. I just took out a level 14 camp, killing about 8 men.

I don't think the recommended quest levels really matter (at least on normal).

Nicely done, especially at Level 4. I tried some of the quests in Novigrad at Level 7 and got 1-shot'ed by the enemies.

Maximo

done nothin but play the game all day and now im finally where I was at on my normal/blood and broken bones playthrough

enjoying it much more on death march. also took the chance to make some different decisions and im surprised how it directly alters how you can tackle some missions

death march is the way to go. worth it
Another bother has joined us!

Tower of Mice
was a really great side quest. Even though once you got to the tower, there was no combat, it was just creepy being there and had a very interesting story behind it. My favorite quest so far besides the Griffin battle.
I have one complaint about the ending of this quest, and it's related to the
"bad" outcome. I let the girl free, she killed the dude and now she's wandering the countryside. I can accept that I screwed up in letting her go, but I don't like that I can't clean up my mess. Geralt also doesn't strike me as a guy who'd leave business like that unfinished, even with his perhaps stingy Witcher view of contracts. I want to find her and permanently rid the world of her.

Roussow

More interesting info folks

There is 6 Places of Power in White Orchard, 5 in Velen, 2 in Novigrad, and 7 in Skellige. and 1 in another place later on in the game.

That means a total of 21 extra skill points from Places of Power, Plus 69 points you earn at level 2 to 70. For a grand total of 90 skill points total to earn.

Hope you find this information useful folks.

I appreciate the info, I really need to double back to White Orchard. I've spent the majority of my time in Velen and Novigrad, even at level 10 forced my way into Skellige, I should start focusing on clearing out some of these places before moving on.

Salsa

Another bother has joined us!

should speak enough of the game that it took me 25 hours to decide to restart on death march from the beggining for the proper challenge and I didnt even get bored redoing stuff

been a while since I did something like this

Been playing Death March since the beginning and its definitely worth it! Fantastic challenge.

My only criticism is Water Hags. They feel waaaay to fast to be enemies from this game, they feel like they need to be from.a game with significantly faster combat.

Saint9806

I have one complaint about the ending of this quest, and it's related to the
"bad" outcome. I let the girl free, she killed the dude and now she's wandering the countryside. I can accept that I screwed up in letting her go, but I don't like that I can't clean up my mess. Geralt also doesn't strike me as a guy who'd leave business like that unfinished, even with his perhaps stingy Witcher view of contracts. I want to find her and permanently rid the world of her.

Interesting.... I didn't even see that part yet. Now I can't wait to load the game back up and see that through.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Where can I find a journeyman Blacksmith? Every single one I run into is too low to craft a Griffon sword and the quest for the master smith is 10 levels above me.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't like how caves and monster dens don't go grey when you go in and do your thing. It's driving me nuts, I keep thinking I forgot to do something.

UberLevi

Just managed to craft the full Enhanced Griffin set. I think that's the one I'm gonna stick with. Bear doesn't look right to me. I never pictured Geralt as a coat man.

Edit: Whoa! Apparently I'm no longer a
Whoreson
Junior Member. Nice.

Danj

I don't know if there's anything in the long run, but you are missing out on the satisfaction of smashing the peons into the dirt with your deck.

I love the gwent minigame. Triple Triad eat your heart out.

I've noticed there are even some merchants you can just straight up buy gwent cards from, so it's not all about having to play lots of games of it to unlock cards either.

On an unrelated topic, I just read this article which says there was a money exploit in the game but that CD Projekt are going to patch it. Unfortunately they've chosen to frame their response as coming from the fictional in-game authorities.

CD Project RED said:
All instances of poaching will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of Nilfgaardian law, so cow exploiters better be on the lookout. We don't want any beef, but we have zero tolerance for such behavior

So what does that mean? If I was to use this exploit, does it mean I'll get banned on Steam (since developers have the power to do that now)? Or will there be some other in-game penalty? I could really use some more gold, but it's definitely not worth getting banned over.

I'm currently level 4 and taking on a bunch humans who are aroubd level 9 on the second hardest difficulty level. There's around 6 of them.

What are humans weak to? I can't find anything in the bestiary on them.

How should I handle the fight, take on one at a time maybe?

I've died a lot of times already from them and damn do those loading times suck in Valen, they're even worser than Bloodborne pre-patch.

I'm just starting to play Gwent and it's an interesting game. I'm trying to play the Baron but his deck is too op. He beats me by constantly drawing more cards. I think I'll just get the trophy in my second play through. Gwent cards are missable right?

Corpekata

Banned
I'm currently level 4 and taking on a bunch humans who are aroubd level 9 on the second hardest difficulty level. There's around 6 of them.

What are humans weak to? I can't find anything in the bestiary on them.

How should I handle the fight, take on one at a time maybe?

I've died a lot of times already from them and damn do those loading times suck in Valen, they're even worser than Bloodborne pre-patch.

There's oil for humans but generally everything works on them, just not super effectively. You have to CC them and take things fairly slowly, keep your distance and whittle away.

Shield wielders will block most magic but can be stunned via Axii.

It rained for the first time in my game today after 20 or so gameplay hours. I was beginning to think that my game was glitched or something. I hope it rains more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom