• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

a916

There's absolutely no reason for the load times to be this long between death... what exactly are they loading in? The geometry and everything was already loaded in, especially between quick deaths.

Still really early in the game ( did a few side quests but I'm still on Lilacs and Gooseberries for the main quest).
Haven't read the thread at all so I don't know if has been mentioned but found it really adorable when I saw ( I don't really consider this a spoiler but somebody might
some distant wolves playfully rolling around on their backs

awwwwwww. Too bad they attacked me and I killed them

finalflame

This is what I'm struggling with right now. I much prefer the larger enemies that are easier to telegraph. Bears, for example, are a joke right now, I can kill them without taking a scratch. Dodging around in a large group of baddies is tough, though.. I'll move right into one or be so focused on one that I won't see the others come in suddenly from the side and hit me before I can do anything. Fucking Water Hags. I'm relying heavily on Quen right now, but I don't really want to be in that spot.

Helps when you can see them better, too... that one werewolf fight in the dark cave (most of you know the one, I think) went so much better once I popped a Cat and could actually see the fucker.

Yah, totally agree, dodging in large groups is cumbersome due to the sloppy movement in the game. I get really frustrated with both the dodge and camera/lock-on during large group situations.

And yes, I also had a horrible time with that WW. Made it much easier once I popped Cat, but my biggest trouble was handling him AND the wolves at the beginning. Healing items in this game also aren't very generous ;/

So should I sell or break down all that stuff that says those two options? How do you make money in general? I'm assuming ingredients and such should be hoarded?

a916

Anyone else royally struggling with bombs? The reticule is aimed at a baddie, and Geralt will sail that well over the things head and into the wall behind.

EDIT: It's so annoying... what the hell is the point of the on screen reticule?!

OmegaDL50

So should I sell or break down all that stuff that says those two options? How do you make money in general? I'm assuming ingredients and such should be hoarded?

I generally only break apart stuff that labled under the name of "Junk" unless it's a high valued item like animal pelts that might warrant worth selling instead.

Or useless rusty swords in which the item sold is worth less then the sum of it's parts for crafting materials.

As for making money - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164994411&postcount=15045

An early game money maker is to use Igni and burn any bee hives off trees to loot them and sell them to the herbalist.

Merchants slowly get their money back over time, but as long as you keep a heathy stock of honey combs you can always go back to the herbalist in White Orchard and unload the honey combs.

Also have no compunction about killing any rabbit or pack of deer you come across they drop raw meat or skins. It's basically free food and money. Rather then waste your money to restock on food use the roaming creatures as your constant food source.

-Deimos

So i need some advice regarding Keira Metz:
If i had sex with her and let her go to Kaer Morhen does that complicate things up with my LI (Triss or Yen) ?

Haven't received a proper answer to this but someone on the Witcher forums said no. Only the choice between Yen and Triss affect anything.

Mossybrew

So I'm playing on the "default" difficulty - I forget what it's called and its odd to have a 4 point scale where there is no proper "middle" - but anyway I find it just right. Coming off Bloodborne, I feel I've had my challenge for a while and I expect Geralt to be more of a proper badass. Even at this setting I find if I get careless I'm gobbling ham sandwiches and chicken legs like a maniac, so I still have to be careful against groups. Anyway the more I play the more I appreciate these quests, in the middle of Family Matters right now and this is some heavy shit. It makes the small moments of humor more appreciated (herding the goat, Geralt had some choice comments, it's subtle but I enjoy when he gets frustrated/impatient with situations)

Radec

You can't miss them if you have ? listed on the map when you explore it's is one of those spots.

You may be playing the game with all of the points of interest turned off from the map, they are large stone shrines you can discover in various locations that give you a temporary boost of a spell for a set duration but also visiting one for the first time gives you a permanent skill point to spend.

I actually missed them all in white orchard.

Just got them 6, saw some vid in youtube regarding the locationa. Thanks.

bede-x

While I still find some of the side activities too repetetive, the quests, both primary, secondary and contracts, are pretty much the best I've seen in a game of this type. When they announced that it was open world, I expected it to be at the expense of the storytelling, but here I am liking pretty much every quest besides the frying pan recovery.
The Bloody Baron and Johnny/witches in the swamps were particularly good

Carm

In Velen, there is a town in the deep southwest of the map called Condyle. Almost straight south of that town is a bandit camp, has anyone been able to clear that camp so that the icon turns grey? When I first got to the camp, the humans were being attacked and were eventually killed by drowners. Afterward I made my way to the camp and looted the chest and boxes which should have triggered the icon to turn grey but its not doing it.

Edit: Did some googling, I'm not the only one running into this bug with this camp. Hopefully no trophies associated with clearing those PoI on the maps.

0racle

Hey guys,

alright I think I (we?) need some clarification on armor

there are three classes

light
medium
heavy

how do these classes differ?

witcher gear? is it the BEST gear the game has to offer? how many times of witcher gear are there? names/stats/pics?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Left White Orchard and a quest failed
the find the brother one

NOOOOOOO MY COMPLETIONISM

tempted to re-load.

are there any other quests after that that expire? Did someone compile a list or so somewhere? Really don't wanna miss out on stuff :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
To the left of Fyke Island, there's an area with three question marks clumped together. One of them is a Point of Power but I can't seem to find it, or one of the other question marks. The third one was a Hidden Treasure. Figured it was underground somewhere but the only cave I found in the area was the exit of a quest I completed earlier. Anyone know how to get to that PoP and the other question mark?

There is actually a PoP in that cave you leave out in the quest though I'm not sure about how to get back there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Folk asking a lot of "should I X instead of Y" and "how do I get my waifu". Just role play, dudes. Witcher games are always the best for that and the reality is you can't see all outcomes and get all results in one playthrough. Not knowing the consequences of your actions is half the fun. If you wanna end up with Yen but are lusting after Triss, maybe stop thinking with your virtual dick.

Skyzard

Banned
Plus it honestly takes the fun out of needing to keep yourself healthy with food management.

Where's the fun though? You need to switch to inventory, set a food item to the slot, press it, wait, press again etc, go back to inventory and reselect the potions for quick select. Otherwise you use swallow and meditate purely to replenish health and use up an alcohest.

I think I'll grab the skill.

I do have a criticism of the game. I don't like using food to heal. You can have 30 chicken legs and spam them in battle with geralt magically consuming them invisibly in battle. Of course you don't have to use food this way. I guess you can just use Swallow and sell the food. Maybe you can make meals like in Skyrim that heals you over time but can't be consumed in battle. I'd prefer that.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Left White Orchard and a quest failed
the find the brother one

NOOOOOOO MY COMPLETIONISM

tempted to re-load.

are there any other quests after that that expire? Did someone compile a list or so somewhere? Really don't wanna miss out on stuff :/

There's 5 that can be missed in White Orchard:

Find the brother, the arsonist quest, the merchant asking for the box, the herbalist on death's bed quest, and the frying pan lady quest.

I think a good rule of thumb is complete any secondary quests that you can but contracts don't expire and can be completed any time.

Found some ruins.
Elven ruins in Velan.
Wraiths several levels above me, struggle to end them all, manage.
Look around, nightwraith, guarding something, kicks my ass and I barely damage so I fall back a bit.
Hang about for a bit and hear a weird noise that sounded like flapping, wait around, still continues, looks around and a level ??? Griffin is here.
Flapping around an area bit away, go there to scope it out and it chases me, I retreat back and then head to it again to spy it some more. Chases me out and one shots me.
Respawn nearby, with my last save, hear flapping again and I race off in another direction.
Very soon after, pack of red dots and howling. I'm being chased by a pack of like 8 wolves and a Warg.
Hang back and pick them off, take serious damage, and hurry off to safety at last.

Wow. What a game.

viveks86

witcher32015-05-2321-23-02.png

witcher32015-05-2321-51-47.png

0racle

I do have a criticism of the game. I don't like using food to heal. You can have 30 chicken legs and spam them in battle with geralt magically consuming them invisibly in battle. Of course you don't have to use food this way. I guess you can just use Swallow and sell the food. Maybe you can make meals like in Skyrim that heals you over time but can't be consumed in battle. I'd prefer that.

The game does have a few mechanics that are far too bloated. In a game this huge it really does not need the added padding to make it "better". Some of the girth should have been cut in order for a much more streamlined experiance- especially since it will last about 200 hours.

Dahbomb

After days of trying... I got the game to work!

1408.gif

If you let the game sit in the main menu for 5 minutes before the opening cutscen then the Now Loading issue goes away on the PS4!

Serrato

Eh wtf guys... I lost a Quest Indicator?

In the Master Smith second part of the quest
where I have to find the bodyguard, when I was getting near the Quest Locator simply disappeared. I tried to move time ahead... and it didn't reappear. I'm confused.

UberLevi

How the hell am I supposed to sneak out of
the witch hunter's outpost
in Novigrad?

EDIT: Nevermind, dumb question. I had a key to a locked door.

The game does have a few mechanics that are far too bloated. In a game this huge it really does not need the added padding to make it "better". Some of the girth should have been cut in order for a much more streamlined experiance- especially since it will last about 200 hours.

I'm new to this series but I'm glad the consumables dont fill your life to max, makes you think in the battle instead of hacking away. It's the perfect blend of a JRPG/western RPG. At first I played like a hack and slash, but realized it didn't work and now hang back and wait for an opening and make a move. i was iffy on the game at first but once I understood the combat I appreciated it a lot more.

(Triss spoilers)
Keeping my cool while she was being tortured in the Hunter barracks was gruelling to say the least, really cool and fucked up situation CDPR set up for us there. I chose to let her go in the end as well which was brutal and actually made me feel horrible, there's very few games that have ever made me feel like that, but Yennefer is the one for Geralt.

I love the game.

Am I the only one who finds Yennefer
totally off-putting? Triss has a manipulative side, sure, but Yennefer comes off as very femme fatale and I don't find her interactions with Geralt to be nearly as romantic as the ones with Triss.

As a minor example, there are two party quests in the game that require you to get dressed up, one with Triss and one with Yenn. Triss will compliment the hell out of you if you choose to abide her request to wear a doublet, but will also be very understanding if you refuse. Yenn, on the other hand, moans about your choice unless you do exactly what she instructed. Why so pushy? I don't see Geralt being all "wear this bearskin loincloth when we go adventuring," Yenn.

Bottom-line: Triss is more Tali/Liara. Sincere, respectful and warm.

Yenn is more Morrigan/Miranda. Controlling, calculating and cold.

0racle

I'm new to this series but I'm glad the consumables dont fill your life to max, makes you think in the battle instead of hacking away. It's the perfect blend of a JRPG/western RPG. At first I played like a hack and slash, but realized it didn't work and now hang back and wait for an opening and make a move. i was iffy on the game at first but once I understood the combat I appreciated it a lot more.

im new as well and im still unsure on how I feel about the combat. One thing for sure its not the reason why I play the game. If anything its the only crutch in terms of the game being perfect. I would not mind if it played like a hack and slash considering the situations it throws at you.

I've spent so long poring over the skills. There are so many cool builds you can do but I think I finally settled on something. I'll have to sit down and crunch the numbers to make sure it's possible tomorrow. I originally was going to do a sign build but I wasn't enjoying it. Saved up and bought a respec potion at level 4 to start working towards my oil based alchemy build.

Branson

The more I play the more I find this game is one of the best RPGs I have ever had the pleasure of playing lol. It is only rivaled for me with New Vegas and Skyrim, both with mods. Plus it looks great maxed out on PC.

Matty8787

Turned PoI's off last night and it is so much better just randomly stumbling across things in the world. Got jumped by a bandit camp all on horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom