• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Am I the only one who finds Yennefer
totally off-putting? Triss has a manipulative side, sure, but Yennefer comes off as very femme fatale and I don't find her interactions with Geralt to be nearly as romantic as the ones with Triss.

As a minor example, there are two party quests in the game that require you to get dressed up, one with Triss and one with Yenn. Triss will compliment the hell out of you if you choose to abide her request to wear a doublet, but will also be very understanding if you refuse. Yenn, on the other hand, moans about your choice unless you do exactly what she instructed. Why so pushy? I don't see Geralt being all "wear this bearskin loincloth when we go adventuring," Yenn.

Bottom-line: Triss is more Tali/Liara. Sincere, respectful and warm.

Yenn is more Morrigan/Miranda. Controlling, calculating and cold.

I haven't read the books, but several people have said that Yen and Triss are pretty faithful to their characterization in said books.

(Triss/Yen backstory stuff)
Yen has issues with Geralt that relate back to said books, and the two's shared past, which gets addressed in one of her personal side quests. She also lightens up (somewhat) in her quests in Skellige.

Meanwhile, Triss was just happy to be with the amnesiac Geralt in the first two games due to her long-ish standing crush on him.

They are definitely faithful to their book counterparts I'm actually kinda amazed at how well the writers have stayed true to all characters in the books not just Triss and Yen. Regarding their personalities,
yes Yennifer is a complete bitch that is just how she is. But, she does actually love Geralt and scolds him because he allows her to and because well she basically "wears the pants" in the relationship. After reading the books I was actually more put off by Triss since in the events of TW1 &2 she basically hops on Geralt's dick knowing full well he's with Yennifer and that Yen has on more than one occasion put her in her place regarding Geralt.

Anywho, my Geralt rolls with Yennifer because who else is he gonna roll with? Yen is his love interest I can't deny the man that.

theres this merchant in Novigrad thats like impossible to beat in Gwent... i mean, unless you get every card in the game it seems

this dude will draw a billion eye cards to increase his stack and when he increases his stack he has majority 10 cards and then he has the perfect burn cards for any of your high cards... I swear the computer is literally just cheating 😂....

i tried like so many strats and 2 diff decks on him.

its the merchant with some quest item stuff, it's aeramus's momentos.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
theres this merchant in Novigrad thats like impossible to beat in Gwent... i mean, unless you get every card in the game it seems

this dude will draw a billion eye cards to increase his stack and when he increases his stack he has majority 10 cards and then he has the perfect burn cards for any of your high cards... I swear the computer is literally just cheating 😂....

i tried like so many strats and 2 diff decks on him.

its the merchant with some quest item stuff, it's aeramus's momentos.

It took me 5 tries to beat that dude but it is certainly possible with an incomplete deck.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anyone else almost feel guilty using quick travel....I'm literally realistically walking from town to town or just trotting on my horse enjoying the atmosphere, world and the amount of screenshot worthy places. I have never felt so eery on fast traveling in an RPG so big. Its truly amazing what you can do when you don't litter my screen alah ubisoft style and just place some minor question marks here and there....but you still end up exploring anyways.

Probably
freed the spirit in the tree roots and I think the crones kill the baron's wife in that case. Personally I killed the spirit (why unleash another unknown, powerful evil in the world?) and the baron went off with his wife seeking help from a medicine man somewhere in hope of restoring her sanity.

I love it how many of these quests you have to choose the lesser evil, and there is always a trade-off, and no real happy endings. It's refreshing.

Do the kids die if you kill the spirit? I wanted to save them so I let him go but man it was a mistake seeing as how he killed the nearby village

So i got the griffin armor diagrama but the chest piece in particular has a few materials i havent seen before nor know how to find. I think the chest piece in particular has this orangy nucleus looking thing.

Orange with pink inside? That is a monster eye. Drops from nests and monsters. If you have nekker eye you can downgrade it into a monster eye using the blacksmiths.

Denton

Anyone else almost feel guilty using quick travel....I'm literally realistically walking from town to town or just trotting on my horse enjoying the atmosphere, world and the amount of screenshot worthy places. I have never felt so eery on fast traveling in an RPG so big. Its truly amazing what you can do when you don't litter my screen alah ubisoft style and just place some minor question marks here and there....but you still end up exploring anyways.

In 16 hours if play I haven't used fast travel yet, apart from going to Velen.
This game is mind blowingly good. So glad I got 970 for this. Constant 60fps with zero drops is wonderful.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how many side quests there is that require you to win at Gwent in order to open up the quest? Also, is Gwent required at any time in the main story? Thanks.

Emerald dust is so expensive, anyone know where I can find this item?

I found some in the cave underneath the Baron's town (Crow's Perch), and an actual Emerald that I dismantled into Emerald dust at the little tent you come across during the Witcher Contract you get from the huge Nilfgaardian camp down at the south west of Velen. I think you also get some from the Wraith in the cemetary in White Orchard.

aku:jiki

Speaking of icons not greying out, anyone manage to make this little camp grey?

Mgkfade.jpg
Should've screenshotted the map but it's a cannibal camp in the southwest of Velen, directly west of Fyke Isle and directly north of the boat icon in the far southwest of the map. There's only one chest that I can find and opening it doesn't grey it out, I even reloaded and did it twice with no effect.

ufo8mycat

Just a quick question regarding the "increase chance to by 2%".. For example "chance of landing a fast attack critical hit by 2%" "chance to stun 2%". Unless I am not understanding it right, what's the point? It is such a tiny percentage. Seems like a waste of a perk in the skill tree. Like the 'Precise Blow' perk.

Am I missing something?

Maximo

Anyone done the quest The Tower Outta Nowheres?
What a cool fucking quest trapped in a tower fighting your way through magical beasts then being teleported out and being hailed a hero by the locals for getting rid of the storm

Seanspeed

Banned
In 16 hours if play I haven't used fast travel yet, apart from going to Velen.
This game is mind blowingly good. So glad I got 970 for this. Constant 60fps with zero drops is wonderful.
Same here. Both with the fast travel thing, and with getting a 970 for 60fps. I find the combat, while ok and quite satisfying at times, to be finicky here and there, and it feels a lot worse at 30fps(tried it out while seeing how hard I could push the visuals).

Denton

Same here. Both with the fast travel thing, and with getting a 970 for 60fps. I find the combat, while ok and quite satisfying at times, to be finicky here and there, and it feels a lot worse at 30fps(tried it out while seeing how hard I could push the visuals).

I learned the combat perfectly. It feels better to me than Dark Souls 1 or 2 ever did, at this point.
The new dodge move was a brilliant addition. It all feels so snappy and responsive, Geralt finally feels like the bad ass motherfucker from the books.

In other news, this made me laugh

CFtcNAIWEAAa7jN.jpg:large

roytheone

How exactly do oils work in terms of how long they're active? Don't see a timer so is it just for one fight?

They are for a set couple of hits, check your equipped sword in your inventory, should say how many hits are left.

Well shit. Did the Fake Papers quest which led me to another quest. Guy died in that one which made me fail it, which made me fail the other. First two failed quests :(

I also had the guy die, but it only failed the fake papers quest, the other one was still successfully completed.

Dominator

Well shit. Did the Fake Papers quest which led me to another quest. Guy died in that one which made me fail it, which made me fail the other. First two failed quests :(

I learned the combat perfectly. It feels better to me than Dark Souls 1 or 2 ever did, at this point.
The new dodge move was a brilliant addition. It all feels so snappy and responsive, Geralt finally feels like the bad ass motherfucker from the books.

In other news, this made me laugh

CFtcNAIWEAAa7jN.jpg:large

haha wonder if this is in the console versions too

Salsa

funny how doing literally everything there is to do on White Orchard (every side quest + question mark) took me like just a couple hours on this second playthrough of it

first time I spent a good 10 hours on it and it felt huge

CSX

WTF is up with the horse races? Roach just randomly stops galloping every time. Almost cost me a win a few times.

Yeah this happened to me more than I wanted to. Made consistently lose one race. Luckily, i got it by chance since Roach randomly stopped right in front of their path so they were blocked from the finish line at the very end lol

cslesce

funny how doing literally everything there is to do on White Orchard (every side quest + question mark) took me like just a couple hours on this second playthrough of it

first time I spent a good 10 hours on it and it felt huge

because now you know where is it :)

question:

do you read all notes on boards?

Pikma

Banned
Really wish you specified which part of the baron quest that spoiler was =/.

good god, i shouldn't have read the spoiler. that quest was already depressing as is.
Damn guys, I'm so sorry :/ will edit it to avoid this from happening to other people
wait WHAT???
did you not help him find his wife or something? how the hell did that happen?
I freed the spirit of the forest so it'd save the orphans, I... well I didn't think it very thoroughly, I just wanted to save them, thing is Anna got punished for letting it happen so the sisters casted a curse on her that ended up killing her, after seeing her die the Baron went back to his town, when I went there to see him I found him hanged on the tree that's outside his house.

Everything ended up being shit because the spirit didn't stop there, it also massacred an entire village... I fucked it up, horribly.

Aces&Eights

Popped in the game about 4pm and it is now 12:50AM. The Baron quest, man, it just keeps on giving. I havn't done an 8 hour binge session in quite a while. Got some much stuff to look at in my inventory and alchemy to craft, it is going to take me all day just to do some management. The story telling in this is just unreal. The voice acting, the facial animations, the world. I am so hooked on Witcher. Got Monday off, too which means two more days of play time. Woot.

Just went back to White Orchard, the notice board is bright white in colour ( not dim like when you complete something) does that mean there's a new quest?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
uhm... can I still get the gwent cards for the collection quest from the innkeeper in white orchard after I leave? :/
given that she said never to come back...

Nyx

Had tons of trouble fighting
Nithral
, did not have any food left and therefore could only use 3 swallow potions during the fight.

After about 8 deaths I pauzed for diner and told myself I would give it one last shot before I would load up an earlier save to make sure I had enough food with me, but that 9th try was 'the one', I won!

Such a great feeling and boy does this game have amazing questlines!

The dodge works really well, it's a gamechanger coming from TW2, very satisfaying to pull off when you time it right.
In TW2 you had to roll which would usually put too much distance between you and your target, a successful dodge leaves you in a perfect position to counter attack.

Salsa

because now you know where is it :)

question:

do you read all notes on boards?

I dont think is as much that (considering theres just one notice board that marks almost everything) as it is just bypassing the initial awe of the game world when youre first in it and do everything slow and kinda savoring it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom