• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingitiz

Hitting the back third of the main quest. There is still an immense amount to do. The quests continue to pile on faster than I can do them.

Unless there is a massive dropoff with the last set of main quests, this is legitimately one of the best games I've played. I've been engrossed with both Pillars of Eternity and Bloodborne this year...but nowhere near to this extent. This game isn't perfect, but it's really something special.

Robiin

Which quest should I do first? Haven't moved the main quest in 8 hours of playtime. I'm choosing between going to blackrock bog (or something, don't remember the name) and Family Matters.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This game has garbage controls. It's fine whenever you're just fighting, but god forbid you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to fight and interact with the world simultaneously. Boy, does it go to shit real quick.

jadedm17

Anyone else almost feel guilty using quick travel....I'm literally realistically walking from town to town or just trotting on my horse enjoying the atmosphere, world and the amount of screenshot worthy places. I have never felt so eery on fast traveling in an RPG so big. Its truly amazing what you can do when you don't litter my screen alah ubisoft style and just place some minor question marks here and there....but you still end up exploring anyways.
I'm very rarely using fast travel; The enjoyment of just riding around on horseback has largely been what's drawn me into this game so much.

Exentryk

This is such a beautiful game!

CXxUora.png

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Currently playing the Baron quest. FINALLY seeing some real next- level shit as far as writing and storytelling goes. It's given me alot of hope for the rest of the game, just utter brilliance.

lolol!

Came by an encounter with some bridge bandits and had a cutscene with them. For some reason, drowners appeared during the cutscene and killed them all, then left me alone when the cutscene was done.

Fucking hilarious!

Denton

I just tried the maximum graphical overkill, 4K resolution with everything ultra incl. hairworks.

My 970 managed 22fps around Velen :)
But impressively only 3GB of GPU memory was used, this game is incredibly effective.

Looks insane too, but yeah I prefer 60fps.

Flare

Story spoilers

I feel like shit for sending Triss away..., it was hilarious how Djikstra called me an ass and twat for not even asking her to stay

Also did Dandelion's, serial killer side quest, thought I was about lose Priscilla too. God damn this game is toying too much with my heart

I just tried the maximum graphical overkill, 4K resolution with everything ultra incl. hairworks.

My 970 managed 22fps around Velen :)
But impressively only 3GB of GPU memory was used, this game is incredibly effective.

Looks insane too, but yeah I prefer 60fps.

It doesn't use a whole lot of vram actually, guess that's a benefit since it was made towards console specifications. I think DF said that the console and PC version both share the same preset of ultra for textures.

Seanspeed

Banned
I learned the combat perfectly. It feels better to me than Dark Souls 1 or 2 ever did, at this point.
The new dodge move was a brilliant addition. It all feels so snappy and responsive, Geralt finally feels like the bad ass motherfucker from the books.
The lock-on is my biggest complaint. You cant lock on to enemies til they are way too close and it seems to work unreliably even when they are close. Switching targets is also unreliable. This has flat out gotten me killed at times since I'm playing on 2nd hardest difficulty and often face up against higher level enemies for the challenge of it.

Definitely not as good as Souls games, where the lock-on is far more trustworthy.

Corpekata

Banned
Finally managed to implement the DS4 Windows scheme someone suggested earlier (spells to swipes, map on right tough, quick save on left touch) and it works great. One spell is left out, in my case Axii because I find it kind of more situational so I don't mind getting into the quick item menu to use it. Makes spell use a lot more fun.

ufo8mycat

Just a quick question regarding the "increase chance to by 2%".. For example "chance of landing a fast attack critical hit by 2%" "chance to stun 2%". Unless I am not understanding it right, what's the point? It is such a tiny percentage. Seems like a waste of a perk in the skill tree. Like the 'Precise Blow' perk.

Am I missing something?

Anyone?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of icons not greying out, anyone manage to make this little camp grey?

Should've screenshotted the map but it's a cannibal camp in the southwest of Velen, directly west of Fyke Isle and directly north of the boat icon in the far southwest of the map. There's only one chest that I can find and opening it doesn't grey it out, I even reloaded and did it twice with no effect.
I'm having the exact same issue. I cleared all the enemies and looted all the treasure in the area, yet the icon won't gray out.

Vorheez

What are average playtimes looking like? Anyone here finish the main story along with a good chunk of side quests? If so, how long did it take you?

Lingitiz

What are average playtimes looking like? Anyone here finish the main story along with a good chunk of side quests? If so, how long did it take you?

I'm about 2/3rds through the main story. I've done a fair amount of sidequests but nowhere near as many as I'd like. Only done a few Witcher contracts and I've been generally poor throughout.

Clock reads 54 hours.

Traffcore

The lock-on is my biggest complaint. You cant lock on to enemies til they are way too close and it seems to work unreliably even when they are close. Switching targets is also unreliable. This has flat out gotten me killed at times since I'm playing on 2nd hardest difficulty and often face up against higher level enemies for the challenge of it.

Definitely not as good as Souls games, where the lock-on is far more trustworthy.

Agree. A group of ghouls or other fast paced enemies makes it really hard to target the right one when they are rushing to smash my ass. This is atleast the case on a controller.
Playing on the hardest difficulty and this issue is really a matter of succeeding or humilation.

Do caves turn grey on the map? ( actual caves not monster dens) Because I've explored one completely but it just doesn't grey out

It does not seem so. The caves will always be white.

KooopaKid

Banned
I tried the game yesterday at a store expecting to find the combat unresponsive and without any impact but I liked it, I was bad at it obviously but I'm going to enjoy it when I play the game later. The tavern encounter felt "real" in the proposed choices already.

erawsd

Agree. A group of ghouls or other fast paced enemies makes it really hard to target the right one when they are rushing to smash my ass. This is atleast the case on a controller.
Playing on the hardest difficulty and this issue is really a matter of succeeding or humilation.

Don't lock on if you are up against groups, only 1v1 if you have to (i dont bother at all). The soft targeting works pretty well.

Speaking of icons not greying out, anyone manage to make this little camp grey?

Should've screenshotted the map but it's a cannibal camp in the southwest of Velen, directly west of Fyke Isle and directly north of the boat icon in the far southwest of the map. There's only one chest that I can find and opening it doesn't grey it out, I even reloaded and did it twice with no effect.

Definitely had the same happen with that camp. I decided to leave it unfinished in the hope there'd be a fix at some point.

Seems to be a feature from TW1 and 2 they got rid of. Which is baffling considering how much more shit you stockpile in an open world.

On the other hand, in previous witcher games, crafting materials were enormously heavy. Every iron piece weighed one unit, every leather as well. Cloth was 0.5. Here, ever crafting mat, ever consumable that I've seen, is just 0.01

It's a little annoying, but while there's certainly more loot in this game, there's probably less weight you'll feel forced to carry.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Don't lock on if you are up against groups, only 1v1 if you have to (i dont bother at all). The soft targeting works pretty well.

This. The soft lock does an excellent job when fighting groups. Just have to watch that camera and you're good.

Denton

Hmm...can't say that I have had any issues with lock on. I was actually surprised how close it works to Souls games. I don't use it in every fight, just on occasion though.

Took a few 4K everything ultra incl. hairworks screenshots (DSR):

Just finished Kiera's story

i banged her, she put me to sleep and I woke up alone. Then caught her in the tower stealing the mages notes. I played nice and told her to go to a clean village and she handed me the notes. I'm wondering if this could have played out differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom