• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I know this is just a game, but can anyone justify all of the side quests in this game? It's not a complaint that there are so many, but that it makes absolutely NO SENSE at all that you would stop to do even less than half of them. The story is one of urgency, but you're going to stop looking for your adpoted daughter to search ruined towers and rescue villagers on your way? Witchers aren't altruistic, and with the bond Geralt has with Ciri, the pacing doesn't make any sense. Especially Gwent.

Unless of course you stick to the main path, ignore all but a few side quests on the way since that's closer to being realistic. But then that just squanders "the game" aspect.
You can choose to ignore all. It's a game. You don't have to do any side quests ig you don't want.

An in-world justification for Geralt drifting is that he knows that he is going against the Wild Hunt and needs ressources to secure Ciri, thus taking requests to bolster coin and assets.

For gwent... Geralt is a gwent addict. Don't judge him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
w1tqaw4.png

Majukun

asked this yesterday but nobody answered...where do you find Triss the first time?is it by just go where she is or it is part of a quest?

Chariot

btw. I made it through Fists if Fury in Velen without trouble, but the dude in Novingrad keeps knocking my teeth out. Is there a trick, a way to get better through stats or do I need to get gud?

Hagi

Oh wow this game is gorgeous.

I'm away from my gaming pc at the moment but does changing your trophy change the head that Roach is carrying? I had the Griffin for a while then after another Witcher contract it changed to a giant chicken head but I don't know if that's because you auto equip new trophies.

After I killed
Menger
and his
Witchhunters
with Triss, she said to me I should visit her, but I haven't got a quest for that and don't where she lives ? Help ?

Majukun

I know this is just a game, but can anyone justify all of the side quests? It's not a complaint that there are so many, but that it makes absolutely NO SENSE at all that you would stop to do even less than half of them. The story is one of urgency, but you're going to stop looking for your adpoted daughter to search ruined towers and rescue villagers on your way? Witchers aren't altruistic, and with the bond Geralt has with Ciri, the pacing doesn't make any sense. Especially Gwent.

Unless of course you stick to the main path, ignore all but a few side quests on the way since that's closer to being realistic. But then that just squanders "the game" aspect.

so ..what are you asking for exactly?
if you wanna play a geralt hutting to find ciri you can..just stick to the main quest and he will go as fast as "witcherly" possible

Sanctuary

You can choose to ignore all. It's a game. You don't have to do any side quests ig you don't want.

An in-world justification for Geralt drifting is that he knows that he is going against the Wild Hunt and needs ressources to secure Ciri, thus taking requests to bolster coin and assets.

For gwent... Geralt is a gwent addict. Don't judge him.

I know you can ignore the side quests, which is why I mentioned doing so. But from a game design perspective it seems kind of silly to have all of this stuff to do that the main character would not be bothering with most of the time. Geralt may need resources, but he wouldn't need that much. It really seems like they laid out a pretty good main quest line and then just decided to fill in the rest of the map with random shit to do.

so ..what are you asking for exactly?
if you wanna play a geralt hutting to find ciri you can..just stick to the main quest and he will go as fast as "witcherly" possible

I'm saying if you actually play the game, it kills the pacing of the main story. Hey, let me stop what I'm doing that's super important and spend a week hunting monsters now, instead of waiting until after my primary mission is completed! Yeah, that makes total sense.

It's a game. But at the same time it really kills immersion.

Chariot

Oh wow this game is gorgeous.

I'm away from my gaming pc at the moment but does changing your trophy change the head that Roach is carrying? I had the Griffin for a while then after another Witcher contract it changed to a giant chicken head but I don't know if that's because you auto equip new trophies.
Yes, exactly.

I know you can ignore the side quests, which is why I mentioned doing so. But from a game design perspective it seems kind of silly to have all of this stuff to do that the main character would not be bothering with most of the time. Geralt may need resources, but he wouldn't need that much. It really seems like they laid out a pretty good main quest line and then just decided to fill in the rest of the map with random shit to do.
I can't agrre with you at all. There is not a single generic quest in the game. Everything has it's placebin the world. Don't grief that developera actually gave you options to do stuff in a giant world. It's a roleplaying game. If your Geralt don't need stuff and hates people you can rush him through the main story, my Geralt is a nice one that helps people, don't steal from peasants and occasionally breaks his legs when jumping into a cellar. It's an RPG, it's the story of a character you influence as you think it would fit.

golem

After I killed
Menger
and his
Witchhunters
with Triss, she said to me I should visit her, but I haven't got a quest for that and don't where she lives ? Help ?
It will appear when the time is right, though you can find her earlier it doesn't open up any quests or conversations until the game gives them to you

Maximo

So cool just as soon as you think you have seen every beast the world has to throw at you..you go to skellige and discover some real nasty things. And hell even discovering things in previous lands later on, love the beasts and magical creature this game has, I almost want a fully fledged Art and Information book on them, like a old looking book a Witcher would use.

aku:jiki

Who should I side with, Roche or Iorveth? Wondering which will provide the most bang for my buck come W3 time.
Neither will impact W3 heavily or even at all, really.

The choice impacts W2 itself very heavily, though. Iorveth is said to have the better path as far as gameplay goes, but I sided with Roche because he's the better character.

Majukun

I'm saying if you actually play the game, it kills the pacing of the main story. Hey, let me stop what I'm doing that's super important and spend a week hunting monsters now, instead of waiting until after my primary mission is completed! Yeah, that makes total sense.

It's a game. But at the same time it really kills immersion.

you have the option to not kill immersion by only do the main quests.
also..you really can't have both in any way imaginable..you either have a big world full of things to do..or a sense of urgency and the imperative to not waste time..

I just finished Family Matters. Quest ending spoilers follow.

What a punch to the gut. Entire village dead, Anna dead, Baron hung himself, Dea no longer has any family to watch over. I feel like I helped absolutely nobody here. Was there a better resolution for those who choose to kill the Spirit of the Tree? That seemed a grave error on my part. It promised to 'free the children,' but where they went to or what became of them? Also, what was with the one creature, Uno or whatever it was called? I was having a chat with the Baron at one point and he and the sergeant spilled in there, didn't see it before or since.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm finding the leveling system impenetrable.

White ochard area is pretty much cleared. Done tons of question marks and every quest I could find there. I've just barely managed to scrape to level 4 though.

The newer area i'm in, Velen, past Vizima, is offering me quests that vary wildly in terms of level requirements. Some require 30+, some 7+, but barely any are around my level. I've went exploring for question marks and every time i'd be punching above my weight, encountering enemies clearly higher than me.

I've gone back to white ochard to try and scrounge some XP to level up multiple times but it's just not paying off at all. The XP rewards are often so minimal or absent completely.

Am I missing something? I want to explore and do a lot of sidequests before advancing the story, but it seems like the game is discouraging me to do this. So, is there anything worthwhile to do that'll reap me some XP? I have no clue how to even reach level 7 seeing as running around white ochard for at least an hour managed to barely bring me from 3 to 4.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

What a punch to the gut. Entire village dead, Anna dead, Baron hung himself, Dea no longer has any family to watch over. I feel like I helped absolutely nobody here. Was there a better resolution for those who choose to kill the Spirit of the Tree? That seemed a grave error on my part. It promised to 'free the children,' but where they went to or what became of them? Also, what was with the one creature, Uno or whatever it was called? I was having a chat with the Baron at one point and he and the sergeant spilled in there, didn't see it before or since.

Yes.

Chinner

Banned
can anyone give me an indication of how far though the main game I am?

completed the baton plotline, currently in novigrad now, just met the dreamer woman

I've done mostly side-quests and completed the existing plotlines. If I'm not far though I might sink some time into the campaign, or if I am I might put more time into side quests

White ochard area is pretty much cleared. Done tons of question marks and every quest I could find there. I've just barely managed to scrape to level 4 though.

The newer area i'm in, Velen, past Vizima, is offering me quests that vary wildly in terms of level requirements. Some require 30+, some 7+, but barely any are around my level. I've went exploring for question marks and every time i'd be punching above my weight, encountering enemies clearly higher than me.

I've gone back to white ochard to try and scrounge some XP to level up multiple times but it's just not paying off at all. The XP rewards are often so minimal or absent completely.

Am I missing something? I want to explore and do a lot of sidequests before advancing the story, but it seems like the game is discouraging me to do this. So, is there anything worthwhile to do that'll reap me some XP? I have no clue how to even reach level 7 seeing as running around white ochard for at least an hour managed to barely bring me from 3 to 4.

Don't worry too much about finding wrong-leveled quests. The high level content is mixed in with the low level. There's things for a level 3 or 4 to do in Velen, just keep poking around. You may end up punching above your level, as you say, but so long as it's not TOO far above, you'll probably manage. Some points of interest may not reward much experience, but here and there you'll find quests you can do or monster nests you can clear. Steadily make your way down to the main story quests in the region and you'll probably be appropriately leveled for them by the time you arrive, or shortly thereafter.

Majukun

you will soon find some quest you can do...until 2/3 levels above you is still safe anyway
no man's land is gynormous,you are bound to find some partsd you can't do yet..follow the road to the next village and pick some quest from the board there

FiraB

Banned

wow glad i choose the other option, thats brutal.

Majukun

so..how many hairstyles this game is supposed to have?i have the dlc installed but i only have like 5 hair styles and 5 beard ones....

Ladies of the Woods quest and the 'Return' quest you can do after... Wow. Some of my favourite moments in gaming. Stunning - atmosphere, writing, gameplay all top notch.

Chariot

Ladies of the Woods quest and the 'Return' quest you can do after... Wow. Some of my favourite moments in gaming. Stunning - atmosphere, writing, gameplay all top notch.
Yeah, the characters are great, as is the whole build up that makes you really shutter about you have done, no matter what you have done.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I killed the spirit and this is what happened on my end: The kids in the swamp were killed, Anna is basically broken/insane and the Baron took her to a healer in the mountains. There's some scenes with him and his daughter as they meet up fighting enemies in the swamp to find Anna as well.

I'm not sure what happened to that weird thing since I only saw him once as well. I actually forgot about that completely.

Chariot

Btw. Baron Questline

Do we meet him again? Can we help healing Anna? I was wondering why he didn't ask Geralt to come with him.

Ceebs

So I am curious the other ways the Junior questline can end?

Geralt ended going all murder everyone in my way into his complex, then giving him an awesome I am a bad motherfucker speech, then just murdering him.

Store spoilers:

The moment when
Geralt and Ciri meet and it flashbacks to when she was kid
just hits you right in the heart. Man that was done well.

Newman96

How do I complete Master of the Arena?
I've beat Ulle first time, now it's telling me to "Find a way to send Ulle on to the afterlife" but can't seem to work out what to do.

Btw. Baron Questline

Do we meet him again? Can we help healing Anna? I was wondering why he didn't ask Geralt to come with him.

I just did that quest, and he actually did ask me to come with him. He said he and his men would wait for me at Downwarren, and it started a new quest for me called 'Return to Crookback Bog'. Kind of dreading going and doing it, because I didn't exactly leave things on great terms with the crones :p

Just been experimenting with graphical settings. With my framerate capped to 30 in Rivatuner Statistics Server, I was actually able to turn on way more stuff than I thought I could and my 670GTX is still holding strong. Shadows up to Ultra, HBAO+, NPC density up to High and a couple of the post-processing options.

Chariot

I just did that quest, and he actually did ask me to come with him. He said he and his men would wait for me at Downwarren, and it started a new quest for me called 'Return to Crookback Bog'. Kind of dreading going and doing it, because I didn't exactly leave things on great terms with the crones :p
No, no, after that.

Maximo

Level 20 and have had the same gear since 14-15 anyone else having a equipment drought? Everything I find isn't worth it, do have Feline Gear and good swords found from Witcher contracts, just seems like there is a huge gap until I can craft things at the later 20s.

Corpekata

Banned
Mind sharing how to setup something like this? I'm currently using InputMapper but would definitely switch if I could get these functions to work.

zStafvr.jpg

Someone posted this image and I went from there. The trick with DS4 at least is you need to make sure to check box the "Scan Code" button checked when putting in the keyboard keys. It'll be on the top when you double click an input to change it.

So for me, it's like M for right touch, f5 for left touch. Swipe Left is 3, Swipe right is 4, etc (since the hotkeys for spells are 3-7, swords are on 1 and 2.

Level 20 and have had the same gear since 14-15 anyone else having a equipment drought? Everything I find isn't worth it, do have Feline Gear and good swords found from Witcher contracts, just seems like there is a huge gap until I can craft things at the later 20s.
Level 26 and the highest piece of armor I have is 24. Everything else is no higher then 20. So yeah I feel ya.

Sanctuary

Yes, exactly.

I can't agrre with you at all. There is not a single generic quest in the game. Everything has it's placebin the world. Don't grief that developera actually gave you options to do stuff in a giant world. It's a roleplaying game. If your Geralt don't need stuff and hates people you can rush him through the main story, my Geralt is a nice one that helps people, don't steal from peasants and occasionally breaks his legs when jumping into a cellar. It's an RPG, it's the story of a character you influence as you think it would fit.

Actually, that's the main issue right there. It's a "role-playing game", but you aren't playing as YOUR character, you are playing as Geralt. If you are truly role-playing, you wouldn't play the character as you would play yourself. I never mentioned the quality of the quests either. I think the majority of them are entirely worthwhile to do from a gaming perspective.

But for role-playing? Uh no, especially if you're a completionist. It would be like Luke veering wildly off course away from the Death Star trench run to go get a lap dance at the cantina. Because reasons.
I mean, I just found out some vital information and need to act on it NOW, but I'm going to take a detour for a full day to get my mack on after a horse race. What?

you have the option to not kill immersion by only do the main quests.
also..you really can't have both in any way imaginable..you either have a big world full of things to do..or a sense of urgency and the imperative to not waste time..

This is exactly right. That's all I was really talking about. There's this huge disconnect for me if I actually enjoy exploring the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom