• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

I love being in the right place at the right time in this.

witcher3-2015-05-24-2xdpy7.png

Went back to White Orchard to explore it proper, it was dusk and I was walking through this battlefield. The sun dropped over the hill and I started to feel the warmth of the sun leaving my skin and the wind robbing the heat from my body. I approached a cliff and started hearing rocks/rubble falling down it's face and I actually started to worry about where I was going until I snapped out of it.

The only other game to take me out of reality like that was a heavily modded skyrim install.

Level 20 and have had the same gear since 14-15 anyone else having a equipment drought? Everything I find isn't worth it, do have Feline Gear and good swords found from Witcher contracts, just seems like there is a huge gap until I can craft things at the later 20s.

I actually prefer it this way.
I don't like games where I switch gears once in every couple hours.

Forkball

I'm finding the leveling system impenetrable.

White ochard area is pretty much cleared. Done tons of question marks and every quest I could find there. I've just barely managed to scrape to level 4 though.

The newer area i'm in, Velen, past Vizima, is offering me quests that vary wildly in terms of level requirements. Some require 30+, some 7+, but barely any are around my level. I've went exploring for question marks and every time i'd be punching above my weight, encountering enemies clearly higher than me.

I've gone back to white ochard to try and scrounge some XP to level up multiple times but it's just not paying off at all. The XP rewards are often so minimal or absent completely.

Am I missing something? I want to explore and do a lot of sidequests before advancing the story, but it seems like the game is discouraging me to do this. So, is there anything worthwhile to do that'll reap me some XP? I have no clue how to even reach level 7 seeing as running around white ochard for at least an hour managed to barely bring me from 3 to 4.
When you first get to Velen, I say stay with the main story a bit to get to say, level 6, and then start exploring. There are plenty of low level missions to do, and even some higher level missions actually have little to no combat so they can be done at lower levels. I am currently level 13 and I just did two quests that were level 17 or 18. The good things about most quests is that you don't have to see them through to the end in one go. You can progress a bit, then come back later. Many quests give you some XP during the quest line, so you can do bits and pieces of each if you really wanted to. Leveling is purposefully slow though. I don't really mind it, but it's annoying when you're like one level away from something you want to craft as there's no easy way to grind up and get it.

Don't worry about exploring. If you come up against a bunch of tough enemies, well run the hell away. There are plenty of level 4-7 baddies in Velen and a lot of good gear to find.

so..how many hairstyles this game is supposed to have?i have the dlc installed but i only have like 5 hair styles and 5 beard ones....

I think the rest are coming as DLC. They will be free if you prepurchased though. There was a screenshot with Geralt and the dopey peasant bowl cut.

Also if you're having trouble against humans, use enhanced grapeshot. I blew up three guys with one of them and by blew up I mean BLEW UP THEIR GUTS WERE EVERYWHERE

Newman96

No, just
Keira, Triss, Roche, Ves, Zoltan Chivay, Ermion
and
Hjalmar.
:))

Alright thanks, hope I haven't missed out on some of these..
Only at Skellige but I've completed the quest with Ves/Zoltan/Roche and such I think and haven't had any sort of option to recruit them

Truant

Actually, that's the main issue right there. It's a "role-playing game", but you aren't playing as YOUR character, you are playing as Geralt. If you are truly role-playing, you wouldn't play the character as you would play yourself.

Uhm, role-playing means you play as a character. Like Geralt. A self made PC doesn't make it any more of a "true" role-playing game. You play the character based on the "rules" of that character, such as his personality, his reputation, his profession etc.

I killed the spirit and this is what happened on my end: The kids in the swamp were killed, Anna is basically broken/insane and the Baron took her to a healer in the mountains. There's some scenes with him and his daughter as they meet up fighting enemies in the swamp to find Anna as well.

I'm not sure what happened to that weird thing since I only saw him once as well. I actually forgot about that completely.

So, even then its still bitter sweet. There's no real happy ending to that quest really, then.

Sanctuary

Uhm, role-playing means you play as a character. Like Geralt. A self made PC doesn't make it any more of a "true" role-playing game. You play the character based on the "rules" of that character, such as his personality, his reputation, his profession etc.

You aren't playing "like Geralt", you are Geralt, especially in the context of the story.

Truant

You aren't playing "like Geralt", you are Geralt.

You do have choice and dialogue options that differ from the gold standard of Geraltness, but it's semantics at this point. Would you like more dialogue options to be able to stray further from the character?

Corpekata

Banned
Any tips to defeat a werewolf? the guy keeps regenerating his health.....

Haven't tried it on a WW but if you use Axii on ghouls when they regenerate it temporarily stops it.

Only encountered one and it was an easy fight so don't have much in the way of tactics.

Chariot

So, even then its still bitter sweet. There's no real happy ending to that quest really, then.
Geralt doesn't really have "hood" and "evil" decisions, even seemigly simple "will you help me" can occasionally have an better outcome for everyone when Geralt just walks off. It's great, you play Geralt, he Geralt, but you can nuance him to be rayher dickish or someone with an heart of gold (reluctant, selfless helping Geralt).

Haven't tried it on a WW but if you use Axii on ghouls when they regenerate it temporarily stops it.

Only encountered one and it was an easy fight so don't have much in the way of tactics.

Pretty sure it doesn't work on werewolves. Just stuns them briefly.

Cursed oil, thunderbolt, tawny owl and bombs if you're having trouble keeping your Quen out and having to keep disengaging. Basically, whether you're close or far, do whatever it takes to keep the pressure up and bring it to a rapid end once they start healing.

Claptrap

Quick question, is there a way to get red mutagens?
They seem to be so rare, I only get one red mutagen for every 20 green or blue ones.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I just finished Family Matters. Quest ending spoilers follow.

What a punch to the gut. Entire village dead, Anna dead, Baron hung himself, Dea no longer has any family to watch over. I feel like I helped absolutely nobody here. Was there a better resolution for those who choose to kill the Spirit of the Tree? That seemed a grave error on my part. It promised to 'free the children,' but where they went to or what became of them? Also, what was with the one creature, Uno or whatever it was called? I was having a chat with the Baron at one point and he and the sergeant spilled in there, didn't see it before or since.

Same here. I can't go to Baron place now and I just want to get out of the region.

Geralt doesn't really have "hood" and "evil" decisions, even seemigly simple "will you help me" can occasionally have an better outcome for everyone when Geralt just walks off. It's great, you play Geralt, he Geralt, but you can nuance him to be rayher dickish or someone with an heart of gold (reluctant, selfless helping Geralt).

Yeah. I felt as though I really fucked up by
by helping the tree
, but after reading that She Who Know's book extract in the game, as well as seeing what the other outcome is, I'm not so fussed anymore.

^^ thx guys

If you want to stop it from healing use a Moon Dust bomb. You can get the formula from one of the herbalists around the Novigrad area, just outside the main city. Not sure where you can get the formula in the wild though.

Sanctuary

You do have choice and dialogue options that differ from the gold standard of Geraltness, but it's semantics at this point. Would you like more dialogue options to be able to stray further from the character?

No, and I'm not suggesting that. In fact, everything that I've said so far indicates I have issues when he strays way too much from character. Which is exactly what happens when you go on some random wanderlust.

While there's certainly other things going on in the world around you, with the map exploding with a bunch of "?" it's way too contrived. How does he know these places are points of interest and that he should probably investigate? Way more places are revealed than from simply reading the notice board. Why would he do a 180 off course to go some entirely random location multiple towns away? He wouldn't. But a gamer would.

Nordicus

If you use igni on it and get the burning status effect i think that stops regen during, I know there's supposedly a bomb to stop regen but I haven't found it
Yeah, I kept the werewolf locked down with Axii, then threw Enhanced Dancing Stars on it. It's guaranteed several second burn on direct hit and thus stops regen

Chariot

No, and I'm not suggesting that. In fact, everything that I've said so far indicates I have issues when he strays way too much from character. Which is exactly what happens when you go on some random wanderlust.

While there's certainly other things going on in the world around you, with the map exploding with a bunch of "?" it's way too contrived. How does he know these places are points of interest and that he should probably investigate? Way more places are revealed than from simply reading the notice board. Why would he do a 180 off course to go some entirely random location multiple towns away? He wouldn't. But a gamer would.
This is why I have undiscoered POIs off. But yhere would even be an ingame explanationfor that: Geralt listens. You should do too, NPCs often talk about things that are going on. Rumors, things in the woods, people who vanished. And Geralt just don't know where Ciri is, could very well be that therebis something to find at yhe bandit camp in the woods.

Newman96

How do I get the rest of the Deadly Plot quest does anyone know?
I rescued Thaler from the trolls but that's been the end of it..

This is why I have undiscoered POIs off. But yhere would even be an ingame explanationfor that: Geralt listens. You should do too, NPCs often talk about things that are going on. Rumors, things in the woods, people who vanished. And Geralt just don't know where Ciri is, could very well be that therebis something to find at yhe bandit camp in the woods.

Exactly. Geralt looking for Ciri, going off the path and doing random shit in-between is pretty much the plot of the last books. So don't worry about the pacing too much. If it bothers you, just do the main missions only.

Bessy67

I'm sure this has been asked a million times in here already but I don't want to sift through 300 pages of posts, so...

Do you eventually get a stash where you can keep stuff you're not currently using? I thought I heard that you need to keep your old weapons and armor in order to craft some other weapons and armor, but that's really starting to eat up my inventory space.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times in here already but I don't want to sift through 300 pages of posts, so...

Do you eventually get a stash where you can keep stuff you're not currently using? I thought I heard that you need to keep your old weapons and armor in order to craft some other weapons and armor, but that's really starting to eat up my inventory space.
I'm like 65 hours in and have yet to find anything like that. But you do get expansions when it comes to inventory space. Mine is at 130

Maximo

Sadly not :( would have loved to display my trophys if we could have bought a house.

Tacitus_

How do I get the rest of the Deadly Plot quest does anyone know?
I rescued Thaler from the trolls but that's been the end of it..

I didn't get any continuation to it either, but after going forward in the main quest it seems there will be a possibility to do so later.

Kyaw

How much time do you roughly spend on Skellige Islands?

Bear in mind, I haven't even reached Novigrad yet. Damn exams.

Truant

Quick question regarding Family Matters.

Still haven't found Anna. The game tells me to follow remaining clues in Velen after I returned to the Baron after seeing his daughter. My guess is that the final part of the quest will become active after I finish up the other main quests. Also, how far am I into the game? I just got the dagger from the witches in the other MQ. Haven't been to Novigrad yet.

Maximo

Also what do you do with trophys that you don't use? It says you can turn them in but I haven't found anything I assume you just sell them?
Frankly have collected and still keep every trophy, like having them and part of me hopes I can display them all one day >.<

Hale_C

Quick question, is there a way to get red mutagens?
They seem to be so rare, I only get one red mutagen for every 20 green or blue ones.

I noted recently getting a lesser red from
the largest type of endrega, the name of which I've forgotten but it's larger than the warriors. I found one in north east Velen.
Bit vague I'm afraid, I sort of have the same problem...

Liamc723

Quick question regarding Family Matters.

Still haven't found Anna. The game tells me to follow remaining clues in Velen after I returned to the Baron after seeing his daughter. My guess is that the final part of the quest will become active after I finish up the other main quests. Also, how far am I into the game? I just got the dagger from the witches in the other MQ. Haven't been to Novigrad yet.

Your guess is correct. I'm a bit past that and I've heard I'm not even 1/3 of the way through the game yet.

Question, I'm about done with the 'Redania's Most Wanted' quest. Should I
Give Radovid the crystal or should I lie to him about what I found and keep it for myself

Zaru

Through horse races or even by looting some places you can find horse gear that ups your inventory space. I have 160 right now, you really need to be lazy with your hoarding to fill that up.

Prine

Banned
The Warewolf is the hardest enemy ive fought due to regen. I was stuck on him for about 2 hours. Im playing on Hard so i get clawed easily, i just ran out the cave, but i'll be back once im strong enough.

Anung

Un Rama
Question, I'm about done with the 'Redania's Most Wanted' quest. Should I
Give Radovid the crystal or should I lie to him about what I found and keep it for myself

Considering he's a mage murdering racist asshole I gave it to triss and lied to Radovid.

Corpekata

Banned
Also what do you do with trophys that you don't use? It says you can turn them in but I haven't found anything I assume you just sell them?
Frankly have collected and still keep every trophy, like having them and part of me hopes I can display them all one day >.<

I think the turn them in thing was an earlier plan. It doesn't say that anymore in the tooltip on PC. It just says to strap them to your horse for a bonus.

Prine

Banned
Ladies of the Woods quest and the 'Return' quest you can do after... Wow. Some of my favourite moments in gaming. Stunning - atmosphere, writing, gameplay all top notch.

Ive not started that yet, the quality of outcomes and general writing in superb. I agree, the best gaming moments ive had in my gaming life has been in Witcher 3. I dont see anything topping this if it keeps up the quality at this level.

Bessy67

Through horse races or even by looting some places you can find horse gear that ups your inventory space. I have 160 right now, you really need to be lazy with your hoarding to fill that up.
OK, another question. Do the saddlebag bonuses stack, or should I hold out and save my money until I find a big one? I'm still in White Orchard and I can buy one from the dwarven smith but it only gives like 30 extra inventory space and it costs ~130.

meep!

Neo Member
zStafvr.jpg

Someone posted this image and I went from there. The trick with DS4 at least is you need to make sure to check box the "Scan Code" button checked when putting in the keyboard keys. It'll be on the top when you double click an input to change it.

So for me, it's like M for right touch, f5 for left touch. Swipe Left is 3, Swipe right is 4, etc (since the hotkeys for spells are 3-7, swords are on 1 and 2.

Thanks alot! That makes more sense now. Gonna try setting this up. It's really annoying how I had the pad just spin the camera when I accidentally touched it and can't wait to make good use of it now too!

OK, another question. Do the saddlebag bonuses stack, or should I hold out and save my money until I find a big one? I'm still in White Orchard and I can buy one from the dwarven smith but it only gives like 30 extra inventory space and it costs ~130.
They do not stack unfortunately. There is one slot for one saddlebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom