• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
this happened to me when i was swimming in water i was stuck lol
4R7oh9V.gif

Dynasty8

ok so the game has been out for a while, and Ive looked at multiple reviews and gameplay videos, but I still don't know if I would like this.

I love games like

Fallout series
Red Dead
Souls series (inc. bb)

but I'm not a fan of games like

Dragon age
Skyrim

Should I buy this or not ?

I found Skyrim and Morrowind very boring. This is my opinion, but the Elder Scrolls series for me have boring characters that I don't care about at all, story and lore don't grab me at all, locations that don't mean anything to me, a weak combat system...I know people love these games, but for me it's always been very bland and generic IMHO. The best part has been the open world and the exploration aspect.

But The Witcher is superior in every way possible. Characters are incredible and very well developed. Some of the best I've ever seen in a game. The story is very interesting, mature, and with fantastic dialogue that keep things way more interesting...this is some game of thrones level shit here. Even the side quests are way better than any open world game I have ever played...the little side stories are interesting all together. The combat is leagues better than those games you mentioned, but make sure to play it on the hardest difficulty (way funner). Along with that, the card mini game (it's called Gwent) is the funnest mini game I have ever played in a game....it kind of resembles a bit of Heartstone and Final Fantasy 8's mini game...Oh and not to mention the beautiful massive World that is full of detail along with the amazing music in the game. This game delivers on every aspect.

The only suggestion is to read up on some of the lore and characters. Even though it's more welcoming to newcomers than past installments, I know I'm enjoying this far more since I was a fan of the second game (never played the first).

Hands down my GotY so far.

Nymerio

Erm, what is going on when people run away from you screaming? I just took a quest where I should kill some kind of animal, turned out there was no beast just some bandits but I decided not to get involved. So, I ride back to where I got the quest but everyone's running away screaming or cowering before me. After I turned in the quest it went back to normal. Is this related to how I handled the quest or because of the way I rode into camp (galloped in and jumped of the horse)?

Dynasty8

Does current objective/quest text stay on-screen permanently if enabled? No way to press a button to make it appear for a second?

Yeah, if enabled. I turned it off, much better. You can always go to the Quest tab to check the bottom screen to see what to do next (don't even have to click on "Quests", just go to it).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Something that's throwing me is how low level nearly all of the quests I've discovered have been so far. I'm level 18 I think. I had a handful of level 20 - 30 recommended quests, mostly monster contracts, but even now arriving in Skellige most quests acquired are my level if not a notch or two lower.

How the fuck is the level cap seventy? Give how much fucking questing I've done I cannot fathom the game providing enough late-level content. I'm also on the final third (Skellige) of the main find Ciri quest, and my gut says once I finish this it'll be moving into the last act.

If there's a lot more after that then I'll be surprised.

"It's like Wind Waker but with beards!"

old link's final mission

oh shit I wanna see mah gunssss

Feline Armour. Perfect for my speed + crits build.

kingocfs

Erm, what is going on when people run away from you screaming? I just took a quest where I should kill some kind of animal, turned out there was no beast just some bandits but I decided not to get involved. So, I ride back to where I got the quest but everyone's running away screaming or cowering before me. After I turned in the quest it went back to normal. Is this related to how I handled the quest or because of the way I rode into camp (galloped in and jumped of the horse)?

Riding with your sword unsheathed I think.

So i've butchered all of the velen gwent players and got two cards. One was Eredin Beracc Glas or something. I can't find it in my deck. Am i missing something or did the game just glitch on me?

Trojan

I just dropped 500 crowns on some emerald dust. I am weak for that serpentine sword set.

Lol I literally did the same thing 5 min ago. I sold some crafting stuff I hope I won't need. Felt like a drug addict selling personal belongings for a fix of that emerald dust high.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Something that's throwing me is how low level nearly all of the quests I've discovered have been so far. I'm level 18 I think. I had a handful of level 20 - 30 recommended quests, mostly monster contracts, but even now arriving in Skellige most quests acquired are my level if not a notch or two lower.

How the fuck is the level cap seventy? Give how much fucking questing I've done I cannot fathom the game providing enough late-level content. I'm also on the final third (Skellige) of the main find Ciri quest, and my gut says once I finish this it'll be moving into the last act.

If there's a lot more after that then I'll be surprised.

Probably won't reach cap without the xpacs.

xezuru

Anyone have a good list where / who sells saddlebags in this game?
I have a super basic one but still aint cuttin it for my lootwhore ocd.

Trojan

Anyone have a good list where / who sells saddlebags in this game? I have a super basic one but still aint cuttin it for my lootwhore ocd.

I hope herbs don't take up much space in inventory, because it's déjà by all over again to my Flower Picking Simulator days of Dragon Age. Can't walk my a goddamn plant without picking some up.

Any tips on how to create a good monster deck for Gwent? Which inn/shopkeepers have the right cards or whom do I need to beat? It's seem to be the most rare deck for sure, rarely run into a merchant that has any monster cards on him.

Also lol, the Crow's Perch blacksmith's apprentice completely stomped me with her monster deck. She puts down one card, that one summons 3 others, then puts down another which summons a whole bunch of others. Add in the horn ability of Eredin, and then you got me getting kicked in the balls - hard.

I am still running the baseline deck with some adjustments based on cards that I picked up. Scoia'tael and monster are just a pain in the ass due to the fact they do not seem to be reliant on their hands at all.

Just did the Cat School Witcher Gear quest which is around lvl 15/16, same lvl as my Geralt. No problems until I get to a cave and there are 3 named bandits/pirates who are lvl 26! Why are there lvl 26 enemies in a lvl 15/16 quest?

Lol, while looking for the Griffin swords in Velen...
I come across the lighthouse, see the Wyvern circling around. Make it to the top, shoot a bolt at it, it crash-lands below... And glitches into the building. Popped Quen, hacked it a few times and it died. :lol

i'm having some problems with
nithral
boss fight. i got him down next to no health twice and then
he goes into this ice defense thing, regaining all of his health!
what am i doing wrong?

so my game is stuck loading.. I have gone back two or three saves and every time I get to the section where I fight a golem and then walk through the portal the game hits a loading screen forever.

so am I just done with this game?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why, oh why, doesn't this game auto-save more, sigh... Do lots of cool shit (none of it involving completing part of a quest), fall from a little cliff or something, lose all progress since the last auto-save. I just don't get why it can't auto-save every time something somewhat significant happens. Like leveling up. Not even auto-saving when that happens is ridiculous IMO. That aspect of this game feels outdated and archaic. I don't want to have to constantly enter a menu to manually save when I'm out exploring, immersed in the world. But that's when you really have to, otherwise you're soon fucked. I get that this is some PC games heritage thing, but come on. Modern games save the player's progress without him having to remember to do it manually after every little bit of progress made.

That little bit of nagging aside, I'm fucking loving this game. So brilliant. Just hope they can smooth out some of the performance wrinkles in the PS4 version. The framerate is generally good (there are exceptions though), but the stuttering is pretty annoying.

Pooya

Keira's quests are pretty great, and all of this is optional? ok I'm impressed...

who said the combat is bad? I'm playing at 3rd setting, I pretty much have to study, use potions and meditate everytime to make sure I don't get wrecked by enemies just one or two level above me and it does make a huge difference instead of just charging, very satisfying. I have lot of potions and oils and all of them are useful, pretty entertaining so far. Bosses are actually good this time.

Been playing in Velen up until
the Werewolf right after I had helped Johnny get his voice back
. That's 16h played, and while it has been pretty good so far, it does feel a bit dissapointing in that much of the game so far feels pretty linear. Much more then I expected after The Witcher 2. I hope it does open up a bit after this, since I don't want to do too much the same way if I replay it.

so my game is stuck loading.. I have gone back two or three saves and every time I get to the section where I fight a golem and then walk through the portal the game hits a loading screen forever.

so am I just done with this game?

that happened to me right after the 2nd golem. it was just loading forever. so i reloaded one of my last saves, did meditation, then it loaded when i went through the portal

Yeah, so I just resumed playing on xbox one this morning, played for about 3 hours. Every time i go to manually save -- "Cannot save right now"

So i'm like okay, i must be in a quest that won't let me save
I die and i cant click load most recent save..
I go to load save and the last save is from yesterday

What the fuck
So fuckin angry that I might not even play this anymore. Shit autosaving in this fuckin game.

--to add to that, reviews not mentioning how fucking shitty this game can be (glitches, autosave bugs) is a shit practice, and mad misleading. I pretty much only check reviews for the negatives and I read none mentioning any of this. Really sucks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea, I think I read that quests cap out around level 50, well below Geralt's cap. Not quite certain how few of them there are either. Really curious what there is left for Geralt when he passes the ceiling.

Also how they will handle the expansions, tailored for post-game high-level or built for the lowest common denominator so anyone can jump in after White Orchard at low level?

iNvid02

gold shouldn't be a problem if you're looting everything and selling it to the right merchants, the witcher contracts suitable for your level also give a nice payout.

try to find the zerkkekhgfighfjghfghfghflg saddlebags because they give you +100 weight

edit: dont hoard the crafting stuff, pearls and shit can be sold for a tidy sum

mri0mr3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom