• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combat in this game is horrific dogshit, and I say this as someone who beat Witcher 2 on Dark and generally enjoyed/tolerated it outside of some glaring issues. This game is awful in that respect, I don't think literally a single aspect of the combat system in this game is good or well designed. The legitimately useless lock on that doesn't seem to be able to stay locked on for more than 5 seconds, the clunky movement, the awful weapon feedback, Geralt's stupid protracted flippy pirouetting attack animations that leave him wide open to attack (this was a problem in 2 but exacerbated in this game), the cumbersome stamina mechanics and their awkward interaction with magic, the terrible case of FFXV syndrome with it's animation locks that force you to commit to every action while being completely unable to guard/roll/sign out of it (maybe this is because of the clunky movement startup issue), I could go on. Also not a fan of how your weapon breaks after it clashes with another person's literally 3-4 times.

Really tired of having to enjoy WRPGS in spite of their combat, it's been how many years and western game developers still really have no idea how to do action combat system right. I'm getting tired of replaying Dragon's Dogma man, but man nobody is even close to measuring up and delivering GOOD, supremely enjoyable action RPG combat like that game did and I don't think that will change anytime soon :/

Many people disagree with you, I for one. The combat takes some getting used to. It's vastly improved over 2. To each their own...

Currently having a blast even just pulling LVL 6 Nekkers away from the group one by one and taking them out. I'm only LVL 3, so that group of 10 would wipe my ass out otherwise! lol

CFzAkqCUIAIdY4r.jpg:large

well that escalated quickly with that insult.

Romance spoilers for those farther along in the game. I
told Triss to stay and that I loved her before sending her off to KM. When I got to Skelliage I also slept with Yennifer because i'm a terrible person. Does that break the romance with Triss or do you have to tell Yennifer you love her as well to have the negative repercussions?

Also, I'm up to Skelliage in the main game having completed the first two main quests. About how far along in the story am I?

Salsa

gotta love how you can reject almost all quest rewards but then you find a couple starving kids, give them food, and have no option to reject whatever they give to you

they are starving fucking kids, lol

The Baron's side quest:
If I didn't free the spirit in the tree, would Anna still have died? The damn spirit killed the villagers in light of rescuing the orphans.

well that escalated quickly with that insult.

That's super unhygienic.

gotta love how you can reject almost all quest rewards but then you find a couple starving kids, give them food, and have no option to reject whatever they give to you

they are starving fucking kids, lol

You will take their dolly and you will like it.

My favourite part is that one of them can complain that somebody took her dolly, even though that's mostly unconnected and just a stock thing kids say.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm trying to pace myself between main quests and side quests to maximise the story developments, by using the recommended level as a bit of a guide, but then I remember CDPR saying something along the lines of main quests having a bit of scaling while other quests do not.

I guess I just feel I've done a lot of the main quest already, but the recommended level is still only like 16, which is a far cry from how high leveling can go. I dont want to rush to an endgame. But i also don't want to be fooled info thinking the end is further than it is based on recommended level.

Many people disagree with you, I for one. The combat takes some getting used to. It's vastly improved over 2. To each their own...

People coming from DD or Bloodborne will probably have a hard time adjusting though. He's correct that the Japanese are light years ahead when it comes to action RPG systems.

told Triss to stay and that I loved her before sending her off to KM. When I got to Skelliage I also slept with Yennifer because i'm a terrible person. Does that break the romance with Triss or do you have to tell Yennifer you love her as well to have the negative repercussions?

Also, I'm up to Skelliage in the main game having completed the first two main quests. About how far along in the story am I?

I did it the other way,
Yen first Triss later
, so I guess they are not exclusive? could be wrong.

People coming from DD or Bloodborne will probably have a hard time adjusting though. He's correct that the Japanese are light years ahead when it comes to action RPG systems.

Yea I agree there, much tighter systems but I think the combat works for what is described in the books and an evolution of the earlier games. It's no Bloodborne or DD but that's okay to me.

Got swarmed by 6 drowners. Some nilfgaardians decides "I'm helping". Swings his sword at the drowners I side step another one, his attack one shots me...

Couldn't help but laugh and be seriously pissed at the same time.

heringer

Man, parents luring their kids out of home with treats because there's too many mouths to feed? Velen is fucking depressing.

It's like those videos of people abandoning their pets in the middle of nowhere.

Posted earlier but didn't get a response.

Right now I have the Viper sword set. Are there any similar sets/diagrams that are good at level 8-10? I feel like I need to replace mine soon.

Khasim

Did you tell Yennefer
that you love her as well? If so, then you dun goofed, Geralt will be forever alone now. You can't love both of them.

Aand the credits rolled. GOG says I spent 66 hours with this game (taking a week off is such a great thing). I got a great ending. I couldn't imagine it being better.

The Novigrad investigation is by far the worst part of the main quest. I nearly died of boredom. Thank God that Velen, Skellige and beyond is so good (high point to me was the Skellige mission in the magic garden. Holy crap was that good). Novigrad was horrible.

Now, time to finish all those damn sidequests, finish the Ursinse set (can't craft the swords because of no recipe for the damn Nigredo thing), get the other ones, finish up all the question marks... I thought the "100hrs+ of gameplay!" stuff was pure PR bullshit, but now I believe it.

Game of the forever for me, definitely. I don't think there will be a game I will sink so many hours into, maybe except World of Warcraft.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
End of the baron questline spoilers.

Fuuuuuuuck, the Baron hung himself. I was worried this might happen since I decided to free the tree spirit because fucks those hags. I thought about reloading an hour back and fixing it but I'm just gonna press on and see what the consequences of my actions lead to.

Robiin

Just go around looting in bandit camps etc. I haven't had to make any so far, I basically loot everything I see. Long as you don't get caught by a guard people don't care. I loot houses with people in then and they don't give a damn.
Yeah, I feel like I've done that too. Completed every question mark area in White Orchard. But exploring in Velen so far has been hit and miss, kind of dangerous when you all of a sudden get surrounded by five monsters with skull health bars! Might just buy every alcohest I can by the merchants, I have like 1000 gold after winning the fist fighting tournament and betting all I could on each fight!

finalflame

Man, wish I had Shadowplay on. Just killed a Lv.15 monster at Lv.4 myself, with careful dodging and never getting hit once. Starting to feel like I've gotten the hang of the combat and movement in this game.

Rosur

Got passed the
botching quest
where I was stuck the other day after doing a bunch of side quests in the white orchard and the main quest were you follow the
wild hunt through the cave (following the animal paintings)
. So far loving the quest designs.

Also starting to get the hang of Qwent (beat the baron and a few other players). Are CD Project going to make this into a mobile game/ actual card game? As Reckon it could do quite well for them.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Shieeettt.
Seemingly good choice ended with heavy ramifications. I like it; though I wanted to save the family. Sometimes you can't always be a hero.

I made the same choices, hopefully there is some silver lining here >_>.

Dominator

Some of these side quests are just brilliant. Makes some decision making difficult.

I also love just roaming around and a cut scene and dialogue starts playing with nothing on the map showing that was a quest. Makes you feel like the world is real. Shit is happening beyond what you know.

Zomba13

Need help on Count Reuven's Treasure. It says to inspect the sewer room, but there is nothing there to inspect. When I go outside,
he says they must have loaded a boat with treasure,
but the quest still says to inspect the sewer room. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

That bugged me too. Did you check right opposite the hole for the little grate?

SDCowboy

Need help on Count Reuven's Treasure. It says to inspect the sewer room, but there is nothing there to inspect. When I go outside,
he says they must have loaded a boat with treasure,
but the quest still says to inspect the sewer room. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
That bugged me too. Did you check right opposite the hole for the little grate?

Never mind...there was some small inspectible item I missed.

Newman96

Asked once or twice but didn't get a reply, just wondering about the quest A Deadly Plot..
It stopped after I rescued Thaler, does anything else happen? I thought it may pick back up but I'm now back at Kaer Morhen doing jobs with Lambert and all and nothing has come up yet.

Did you tell Yennefer
that you love her as well? If so, then you dun goofed, Geralt will be forever alone now. You can't love both of them.
(romance spoilers)
I just screwed her atop the unicorn, didn't say I loved her. I guess we'll see how it goes,
I chose to do something that was obviously wrong so I'll have to live it with it. Shani from the first game finally got a mention by a side character, wish it was more than a few lines though.

Tom Penny

This game is so awesome. The map is so big there is no need to do the main quests. There is always something to find.

Fighting on a cliff during that sunset. Simply amazing

witcher3%202015-05-24%2016-23-50-34.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Asked a bit earlier, but can anyone answer in detail what changes between the different difficulty levels?

JoeMartin

My biggest problem with the game so far:

When you whistle for roach the game maliciously chooses the most inconvenient location for him to spawn, requiring you to run over too him and then spend 15 seconds fighting with environment collision detection before you can start running.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Asked once or twice but didn't get a reply, just wondering about the quest A Deadly Plot..
It stopped after I rescued Thaler, does anything else happen? I thought it may pick back up but I'm now back at Kaer Morhen doing jobs with Lambert and all and nothing has come up yet.

Don't worry it will pop back up later.

Zakalwe

Banned
Combat in this game is horrific dogshit, and I say this as someone who beat Witcher 2 on Dark and generally enjoyed/tolerated it outside of some glaring issues. This game is awful in that respect, I don't think literally a single aspect of the combat system in this game is good or well designed. The legitimately useless lock on that doesn't seem to be able to stay locked on for more than 5 seconds, Geralt's absurd tendency to constantly whiff and wildly miss enemies right in front of him, the clunky movement, the awful weapon feedback, Geralt's stupid protracted flippy pirouetting attack animations that leave him wide open to attack (this was a problem in 2 but exacerbated in this game), the cumbersome stamina mechanics and their awkward interaction with magic, the terrible case of FFXV syndrome with it's animation locks that force you to commit to every action while being completely unable to guard/roll/sign out of it (playing as Ciri somewhat remedies this problem but 99% of the game is with Geralt), I could go on. Also not a fan of how your weapon breaks after it clashes with another person's literally 3-4 times.

Really tired of having to enjoy WRPGS in spite of their combat, it's been how many years and western game developers still really have no idea how to do action combat system right. I'm getting tired of replaying Dragon's Dogma man, but nobody is even close to measuring up and delivering GOOD, supremely enjoyable action RPG combat like that game did and I don't think that will change anytime soon :/

Couldn't disagree with you more. See my post above, the combat system is great once you learn it properly.

antonz

(romance spoilers)
I just screwed her atop the unicorn, didn't say I loved her. I guess we'll see how it goes,
I chose to do something that was obviously wrong so I'll have to live it with it. Shani from the first game finally got a mention by a side character, wish it was more than a few lines though.

You are ok. CDprojekt Dev states
Sex on the unicorn doesn't count - you need to finish The Last Wish quest in order to be with Yennefer.

My biggest problem with the game so far:

When you whistle for roach the game maliciously chooses the most inconvenient location for him to spawn, requiring you to run over too him and then spend 15 seconds fighting with environment collision detection before you can start running.
I keep wondering how Roach keeps ending up on the islands I boat to given he won't go in an inch of water when roaming about.

You are ok. CDprojekt Dev states
Sex on the unicorn doesn't count - you need to finish The Last Wish quest in order to be with Yennefer.
*wipes sweat off forehead*
Is that a quest I need to turn down or
can you complete it and deny romance at the end similar to how you can tell Triss goodbye instead of trying to start again or that you love her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom