• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innolis

Poured about 20 hours into the game. Combat is shit and running animations are shit. The game is phenomenal, but they missed the mark really bad on those 2 things. Normal is too easy and Hard is basically a lvl check where enemies swarm you, are hyper aggressive and kill you in 3 hits, basically having you roll for 20 minutes until you can kill one or die.

The animations are simply wrong, they went for this Uncharted like feel, but most of the time you end up circling for 4 seconds around a bush so the camera can properly lock and you can pick up your fucking flower.

Half the crates on the game have a candle on top of them just so you waste your time trying to position the camera to loot instead of igniting the candle...

The map is gigantic and awesome, but once you hit velen the somewhat clear progression from white orchard goes out of the window and you have to basically guess which question mark is for you lvl and which one has a lvl 30 dragon waiting for you. I don't mind exploration, in fact I love it, but it would've been nice to have at least a small hint of the level required for certain zones.

Sifl

Novigrad Spoilers
What's up with the random npc called
Walter
who gets killed behind a brothel? He has a key and it's a quest item.

Trickster

I've a question concerning potential outcomes of the relationships you can foster with characters of the female kind in this game

Basically I'd like to know if
I choose to tell Triss that I love her and get her to stay. Will I later be able to pursue anything with someone like Yennefer? And if I can, will that then cause a bunch of drama later on?

Bl@de

25h into the game. Still haven't found any flaws. This game is starting to look like one of the best of its genre. Don't even want to talk about it - just want to play all the time...

RDreamer

Just finished the White Orchand prologue and went into Velen. So far the positives are the story and the combat which even though its a bit clunky its deep and strategic but what I seem to not like so far is something that everyone else is praising so I am kinda curious if its just me and that thing are the side quests.

They all so far have been super small 5-10min max and nothing special or complicated. I was expecting tbh either long side quests like skyrim's or oblivion's that take you through a huge dungeon to acquire an epic new weapon that take like 30min to complete or I was expecting the kind of quests you find on fallout new vegas which were super big and had many ways to complete so far I am disappointed by the side quest length which I find super small. I hope I get proven wrong later on and the quests do open up any ideas?

Keep in mind so far you've played a tutorial. That's it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there a handy map of the merchant/armorers/blacksmiths/barbers for Novigrad? It's a real pain trying to track them down since they only show up on the map if you're close.

Danj

Side quests don't give a lot of XP, if you want to level up do the main storyline quests.

Oh, okay. Also, where can I get more gwent cards? I did a bunch of gwent quests but the only one I seem to have left is the generically vague "Collect'em all" which just tells me to complete my gwent collection.

I have a half decent Northern Realms deck now, but I've got hardly anything for the other factions.

usp84

25h into the game. Still haven't found any flaws. This game is starting to look like one of the best of its genre. Don't even want to talk about it - just want to play all the time...

Then i am pretty sure you havent been looking.This game is probably the most flawed mastepiece i have ever played.

I've a question concerning potential outcomes of the relationships you can foster with characters of the female kind in this game

Basically I'd like to know if
I choose to tell Triss that I love her and get her to stay. Will I later be able to pursue anything with someone like Yennefer? And if I can, will that then cause a bunch of drama later on?

If you tell one you
love them then you definitely do not want to say you love the other later. You will end up with neither

Bl@de

Then i am pretty sure you havent been looking.This game is probably the most flawed mastepiece i have ever played.

I don't care about small stuff. Gothic 2 is flawed as hell and it's a 10/10 for me. With Witcher 3 I have the same feeling.

foxtrot3d

Banned
The quests just have very final sounding names >_>

Ah well, think I won't get to the end without
killing that other leader dude
so I doubt that it's the end-end I'm currently prepping for.

Yeah, then you should be close the final one should say
Final something I believe. But, you'll know that it is the final quest.

usp84

I don't care about small stuff. Gothic 2 is flawed as hell and it's a 10/10 for me. With Witcher 3 I have the same feeling.

It will probably be a 10/10 for me too but what i mean is that as with every game witcher 3 has its flaws.

Poured about 20 hours into the game. Combat is shit and running animations are shit. The game is phenomenal, but they missed the mark really bad on those 2 things. Normal is too easy and Hard is basically a lvl check where enemies swarm you, are hyper aggressive and kill you in 3 hits, basically having you roll for 20 minutes until you can kill one or die.

The animations are simply wrong, they went for this Uncharted like feel, but most of the time you end up circling for 4 seconds around a bush so the camera can properly lock and you can pick up your fucking flower.

Half the crates on the game have a candle on top of them just so you waste your time trying to position the camera to loot instead of igniting the candle...

The map is gigantic and awesome, but once you hit velen the somewhat clear progression from white orchard goes out of the window and you have to basically guess which question mark is for you lvl and which one has a lvl 30 dragon waiting for you. I don't mind exploration, in fact I love it, but it would've been nice to have at least a small hint of the level required for certain zones.

Don't roll, dodge.

And don't chase question marks. Seriously, turn the points of interest off. Makes the world much more organic. There is so much content anyway that you don't have to go actively looking for it.

putarorex

Fantastic game. I couldn't stop playing it over the weekend and wish I could take time off from work this week just to play more.

I was really impressed with the Red Baron quest line. The voice acting has been quite good and the whole narrative has kept me interested. The quests overall in this game have been great. The witcher contracts are especially interesting. I liked DA Inquisition, but this game is whole another level.

The only negative for me so far has been performance problems on the PS4. No major bugs, but the game seems perform poorly after a couple hours (tons of pop-in and frame rate dips).

I am pretty this will be my game of the year.

Serrato

Sidequest With Yennefer :

I decided to tell her that Geralt didn't love her anymore after the Djinn resolved her wish because I choose to be with Triss on this playthrough. I was impressed because I never expected to see a hearth broken character well played like that in a game. Well played CDPR, you made me doubt my choice. AGAIN.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Where can I buy some sweet looking armor in Novagrad? Money isn't an issue. I just can't find a place to buy it.

You craft sweet looking armor not buy it, but there is a good Armorer at the main sqare in Novigrad next to the Vivaldi bank.

I decided to tell her that Geralt didn't love her anymore after the Djinn resolved her wish because I choose to be with Triss on this playthrough. I was impressed because I never expected to see a hearth broken character well played like that in a game. Well played CDPR, you made me doubt my choice. AGAIN.

Serves you right for choosing Triss over Yennefer.

Is there a glitch with the subititles?
I turned them off, but near the start there was a cutscene where they just came on again. After it was over, I checked and the subititles off option was still selected.

Moozo

I don't really know what I'm meant to be doing at the moment.

Just got thrown in to Velen for the first time but I'm only level 3. All the quests and enemies I'm coming across I'm having to leave because they're too high level.

Bl@de

It will probably be a 10/10 for me too but what i mean is that as with every game witcher 3 has its flaws.

Well yeah sure. That was hyperbole^^ But there are no substantial flaws or design decisions I don't like. Small flaws are acceptable and not important. Even a masterpiece has them.

(Ending)
I ended up feeling pretty bad for the Emperor in my ending. I never took Ciri to see him so the final conversation ended up being:

"Geralt, have you brought me my daughter?"
"No."
"Where is she?"
"She's dead."
"Did she... want you to pass along anything to me before she died?"
"We never talked about you."
"I see."

Geez.

jett

D-Member
I agree that the combat is pretty shit, but serviceable. You gradually learn to deal with it. Just sidestep a lot and use your appropriate signs. Check the glossary thing to learn the weaknesses.

Yeah serviceable sounds about right. Finally beat Jenny O The Woods earlier, a true bitch of a fight. Apparently it bugged on me, she wouldn't create her mirror images, and that's how I managed it. :p I also started using potions and stuff, but I still maintain that there's a real random element to the combat in this game, it's almost impossible to develop a rhythm and to learn patterns. Enemies don't telegraph anything, and you never know when you're truly at a safe distance/position from a potential attack.

Found the scarf armor!
18056528491_23772b08e1_o.png

Sephon

I've heard a lot of people mention that it's flawed but I'm still curious as to which these flaws are?
The only thing I have noticed are wonky movement, characters stuck in the environment and the game crashed for me a few times before the latest patch. But other than that I haven't noticed much more.

Between playing The Witcher 3 all day I love to read this topic (although Im 30 pages behind or so), but I just wanted to take the time to tell you fine folks what a fantastic game I think this is.

Right now I'm (early game spoilers, level 6-ish) doing the
Red Baron quest, just did the ghost baby stuff and got the assigment to look for her wife/daughter in some other city
. After that I'm going to
do the witches of the wood thingy
. I hope Im playing the game 'right, I mean I do sidequests every now and then but most of them I save for later so that I have the appropiate level.

Anyway, I'm fully engrossed in this virtual world. I just can't stop playing or when I'm not playing, I can't stop thinking about it. Last time I had this was... I dunno, with a fantasy game I think the last time was TES: Oblivion. Skyrim never grabbed me as much. As far as non-fantasy goes I think the last time I was so INTO a game was with Red Dead Redemption.

Already one of my favorite games ever, and without doubt my game of this gen so far. I can't really pinpoint what makes this game so good... its a combination of factors I think...
- Very beautifully realised game world that never pulls you out
- Interesting quests that add variety and personality
- Great writing and voice acting

I think those three pointers make this such a fantastic game. Man, I can't stop playing, thank god its a long weekend so I can go on all night (its almost midnight here in the netherlands) and tomorrow as well.

Can anyone tell me how far I am more or less? Still pretty much at the beginning, right? I don't want it to end! Haha.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah serviceable sounds about right. Finally beat Jenny O The Woods earlier, a true bitch of a fight. Apparently it bugged on me, she wouldn't create her mirror images, and that's how I managed it. :p I also started using potions and stuff, but I still maintain that there's a real random element to the combat in this game, it's almost impossible to develop a rhythm and to learn patterns. Enemies don't telegraph anything, and you never know when you're truly at a safe distance/position from a potential attack.
Yrden is all you need in that fight. She attacks by charging you so you just need to position yourself in the trap.

If you're having difficulty with the combat I highly recommend pumping ability points into the sword skills. It makes a huge difference. I'm enjoying the combat a good deal now because of that and finally getting a sense of when to use what signs.

Carm

There is a fast travel point town called Toderas, anyone know the outcome if you don't interfere? Like, does it get shops or quests open up later?

Same. My heart was almost broken but then I remembered how awesome it was when Triss came back and all was ok.

Innolis

Don't roll, dodge.

And don't chase question marks. Seriously, turn the points of interest off. Makes the world much more organic. There is so much content anyway that you don't have to go actively looking for it.

Rolling, dodging, the same thing. When 5 neckers surround you, dodging does nothing because it doesn't create enough distance. You dodge one attack but take 4 from the other enemies surrounding you.

And turning off the points of interest would be a good idea if you didn't end up finding a camp of lvl 15 drowners with your lvl 5 Geralth every time you decide to "explore".

It might sound like I'm hating on the game, but I genuinely enjoy it, its just that those 2 things (combat and animations) detract a lot from it, they actively hinder my experience with the game. I'm not expecting Bloodborne levels of polish on the combat, but I at least expected something better than this.

jett

D-Member
Yrden is all you need in that fight. She attacks by charging you so you just need to position yourself in the trap.

If you're having difficulty with the combat I highly recommend pumping ability points into the sword skills. It makes a huge difference. I'm enjoying the combat a good deal now because of that and finally getting a sense of when to use what signs.

Yeah I used Yrden from the get-go, otherwise it woulda been impossible. I learned that in the noonwraith boss.

witness

Been playing so much today, I just adore this game. World, writing, characters, quests, graphics, music are all fantastic. The world is so vast, it's astounding. Nothing feels like a chore, there's no MMO style slog to it like DA:I had. By the time I hit level 5, I finally felt like I could hold my own and felt like someone who is powerful in this world. I'm now level 8, and I really am just questing constantly because I find them all so interesting. I have run around and discovered things, but that's not the main attraction for me right now. This game will keep me busy for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom