• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if you get locked out of the quest with
Letho?
I went back to
the Rodean Manor
but I couldn't find the item with my Witcher Senses that trigger the quest.

Chiggs

Gold Member
About fifteen hours in and I'm glad I've stuck with the game. White Orchid was such a lame start when compared to the brilliant opening of TW2, but this game seems to get better as you progress.

Controls are still a pain in the ass, and the horse stuff can actually be almost ruined by the complex geometry (obstacles), but I can't deny I still have a real desire to play this game for hours on end.

pahamrick

I really wish more games would follow Sleeping Dogs, and have a setting that only had on subtitles during non-english speaking moments.

I usually don't like playing with subtitles on, as I find it distracting -- but I want to see what all the Nilfgards are saying.

Anustart

What am I missing with blocking and countering? If I block, geralt bends over and screen acts like he's drunk for 5 seconds and I can't ever counter :/

I made the same choices, hopefully there is some silver lining here >_>.
Back story of the spirit tree
[URL="http://i.imgur.com/NFpKKbT.png"
Nope[/URL]

dRyu9jg.jpg

Bear school has armor in the game, no? Haven't seen anyone talk about it like the others.

Viper school? Or does each school have a particular piece of equipment be it a weapon or armor set? Curious how they all look if armor is in for each.

Sid

Holy fucking shit! this game is just so damn good,at level 5 now and hoping it maintains this level of quality throughout

Beefy

Bear school has armor in the game, no? Haven't seen anyone talk about it like the others.

Viper school? Or does each school have a particular piece of equipment be it a weapon or armor set? Curious how they all look if armor is in for each.

Bear school armour is ursine armour.

Zakalwe

Banned
Rolling, dodging, the same thing. When 5 neckers surround you, dodging does nothing because it doesn't create enough distance. You dodge one attack but take 4 from the other enemies surrounding you.

They serve very different purposes.

Dodge uses stamina, so it should be reserved for closing distance when you need to make a killing blow or to move out of reach of mutiple targets. It for a create enough distance if you use the target switching properly in conjunction with it and effectively bounce away from each enemy.

Dodge is for side stepping lunges and attacks, in the middle of the fray you can quick switch between targets and dodge your way out of the group by zig zagging through them as your stamba recharges. A very good way to clump enemies in front of you for a quick blast of Igni, for example.

When you get this down it's incredibly fluid (on gamepad at least, not even attempted to use my mouse and keyboard yet although I'm tempted for quick sign use).

I thought the combat was awkward at first, but it clicked with me today and it's one of my favourite rpg combat systems now.

If the were a way to use shortcuts to select signs on a gamepad it would be perfect.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think I've ever played an RPG where leveling up takes as long as it does here. Not that it's a bad thing, I don't mind it at all, just an observation.

I really like the slow leveling. Gives more meaning to being a level.

Guys have a look at this:
Video

how is he doing that cool episode 3 revenge of the sith behind back spinning epicness???

I've never had him do this and I've played this game for ages xD

I'm about to get this. It's the Whirl attack unlockable under Combat. You need 20 points unlocked in the branch to use it.

Damn that's awesome, I'll be saving for that for sure, glad to read it's in.

Furyous

Just had a nope moment I think it's necessary to share. I'm grinding ability points looking for points of power near the ruined tower. All of a sudden In hear faint voice telling me not to come closer. So what did I do? I cut the game off and took a break. What happens if you continue in your quest for the place of power near the ruined tower?

pahamrick

Dodge uses stamina, so it should be reserved for closing distance when you need to make a killing blow or to move out of reach of mutiple targets. It for a create enough distance if you use the target switching properly in conjunction with it and effectively bounce away from each enemy.

Dodge is for side stepping lunges and attacks, in the middle of the fray you can quick switch between targets and dodge your way out of the group by zig zagging through them as your stamba recharges. A very good way to clump enemies in front of you for a quick blast of Igni, for example.

When you get this down it's incredibly fluid (on gamepad at least, not even attempted to use my mouse and keyboard yet although I'm tempted for quick sign use).

I thought the combat was awkward at first, but it clicked with me today and it's one of my favourite rpg combat systems now.

If the were a way to use shortcuts to select signs on a gamepad it would be perfect.

Only shortcut I've seen for signs on a gamepad is left or right when blocking in combat.

Just had a nope moment I think it's necessary to share. I'm grinding ability points looking for points of power near the ruined tower. All of a sudden In hear faint voice telling me not to come closer. So what did I do? I cut the game off and took a break. What happens if you continue in your quest for the place of power near the ruined tower?

Should have pushed forward. Always upwards and onwards.

Absinthe

How do you take screenshots on the GOG version of the game? Print screen doesn't seen to work

Use Fraps and save as bmp.

So far my favorite single part of the game was coming out of the first cave quest with Keira and seeing the boat.

It was such a palate cleanser to take the boat and sail in the vast openness of the world after being confined to that cave.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So far I've spent 31 hours into this game and have finished all of the main scenario quests in Varen and did all of the Barons story, and experienced my first visit to Oxenfurt and a few other side quests, and the beautiful, beautiful music.

Holy fuck this game. There's nothing like it out there with this sheer scale and quality with the writing and dialogue, it's putting other top games in the genre to shame. I don't want game of the century to end. What a time to be alive.Thank you based video game God!

erawsd

What am I missing with blocking and countering? If I block, geralt bends over and screen acts like he's drunk for 5 seconds and I can't ever counter :/

Some attacks cannot be parried. People with two handed weapons and just about every nonhuman has an attack that will stagger you if you try to parry it.

If you are using a DS4 on PC there is an awesome way to setup sign swapping on the touchpad.

pakkit

Banned

You can't block heavy attacks, if you try you'll get stunned. Parrying can't be done on heavy attacks either, but if you time it right you'll leave opponents wide open for an attack.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
In regards to all the stuff that can be sold, are the prices set throughout the game or do certain merchants/shops offer more/less? Thanks.

I kind of love how lots of side quests are only triggered when you get close to the quest giver. I just was on a little island in Skellige and there didn't appear to be much until I walked into one of the two little villages there and between the notice board and others nearby, suddenly I had 6 new quests.

In regards to all the stuff that can be sold, are the prices set throughout the game or do certain merchants/shops offer more/less? Thanks.

Shop prices for things you are selling very wildly from merchant to merchant. Selling armor and weapons to a blacksmith is always the best idea too, as they buy at the highest prices. Whereas a lowly merchant in some bum town would only buy it for a few crowns, most blacksmiths will pay 100+ for weapons and armor.

Grisby

Been playing for the better part of three days now. I'm on Khera's sidequests stuff.

The world is great and the exploration is fantastic. The writing and the VA has been quality and all the colors are beautiful.

With all that said, the combat is not that great. It's serviceable and the idea of drinking potions and getting ready is fun, but the actual movement speed and Geralts animations and stuff just feels wrong. The hit detection too seems almost nonexistent sometimes. That, paried back with the too far pulled out combat camera (which is shit when you're in close quarters mind you) makes some of the battles feel like a chore.

It's getting better now that I'm leveling up, but it's not great.

Oh, and who's idea was it to get rid of the chest? I've got a ton of ingredients and can actually make several lvl20 something armors but I'm only lvl 8 (and lol at how much xp you actually earn btw) so I'm lugging this stuff around for another twenty or so hours.

Where do you get the next saddlebag upgrade? (got the second, extended it by 30 or so). I mean, they had the chest in the second game. Just seems dumb to take it out.

Two other small niggles. One, Roach is the dumbest horse in recent memory (I'm just gonna spawn behind this building and get myself stuck in a loop) and the amount of damage Geralt takes when falling is crazy funny (guy needs some calcium or something, Christ).

Haha I was in Baron's castle and some soldiers were talking:

'Well... guess its time to bring out the gimp'

'Gims sleepin'

'Well you'll just have to wake em up don't ya'

1365093412_gimp.png

Newman96

Need help for Brothers in Arms quest..
I'm sure Triss is required for the trophy..yet it hasn't told me to ask her for help? Only Roche, Dijkstra and Zoltan?

The only negative for me right now is the incredibly generic and light combat in the game. Even amongst action RPGs or WRPGs the amount of spells / attacks is really small. Just 5 spells, like 4 different combos which are all so fast that it doesn't really matter which one you use anyway and the use of a bomb or crossbow or whatever.

Other then that, excellent

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

I thought the game would be over after the
Battle of Kaer Morhen
, but there is still more stuff? :O

SaiyanRaoh

Anyway, I'm fully engrossed in this virtual world. I just can't stop playing or when I'm not playing, I can't stop thinking about it.

Already one of my favorite games ever, and without doubt my game of this gen so far. I can't really pinpoint what makes this game so good... its a combination of factors I think...
- Very beautifully realised game world that never pulls you out
- Interesting quests that add variety and personality
- Great writing and voice acting

I think those three pointers make this such a fantastic game. Man, I can't stop playing, thank god its a long weekend so I can go on all night (its almost midnight here in the netherlands) and tomorrow as well.

Can anyone tell me how far I am more or less? Still pretty much at the beginning, right? I don't want it to end! Haha.

Hit it dead on! Someone on here said it was a flawed masterpiece and it is. My reboot and freezing problems aren't as severe as others on here but when it does run, it runs perfectly for me. I've played 24 hours according to Steam (I've only just reached the Hanged Mans Tree.....I'm slowly drinking this games world in.) and it dawned on me that my Witcher 2 import didn't go through. I downloaded a save state that matched my choices and I'm happily starting over again. I can't say I would have done this for any other game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom