• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think games like this and Planescape Torment and KOTOR tells me that I prefer these kind of games with a focused and defined protagonist because they allow you to tell a really coherent and tight story. Games like DA where you can be one of a million different things invariably means a very generic story where they can shoehorn in a variety of different characters, which leads to the main story always being rather by the book.

Looking at some of my favourite RPGs (Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, Witcher 2), I fall into this camp as well. Games that start with a well defined starting character and where the role-playing is mainly about the way I play the game and the choices I can make and what consequences they have.

Nose Master

About the Baron's Pet:
Can you like, do anything to figure out what the fuck is going on with that weird halfling mutant thing that burst into the room during the end of the Family Ties quest? I'm curious to know what's going on there.

Newman96

About the Baron's Pet:
Can you like, do anything to figure out what the fuck is going on with that weird halfling mutant thing that burst into the room during the end of the Family Ties quest? I'm curious to know what's going on there.

The main quest will reveal it later on

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
A few questions -

1) In White Orchard, has anyone found a free saddlebag? I'm probably wrong but I would have sworn that I acquired a free saddlebag via looting because I don't remember purchasing one and I haven't made it past White Orchard yet so I haven't reached the horse racing yet.

2) In general, if you don't loot the dead bodies (for example, all the dead soldiers in the beginning of the game), does the loot disappear or stays until you loot the dead bodies?

3) In general, does any of what can be looted re-spawn or is it one and done?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Novigrad first quest spoilers:

Alright, so when you follow the thief in Novigrad, eventually you get led to a group of thugs who try to engage you in a fist fight. I tried to fight them twice but I kept getting overwhelmed by the numbers and cramped space...so on the third try I just drew my sword and they freaked the hell out and surrendered. I'm not sure what ramifications that has for the rest of this quest, but I thought that was neat.

Virdix

About the Baron's Pet:
Ive been wondering the same thing for awhile now.

Balanced changes to annoying features-

How they should fix durability: Relic weapons/armor never lose durability, but cost a lot to repair. Once you repair their initial wear, they never degrade further.

How they should fix item weight: Horse has unlimited storage attached.

How they should fix fist fights: Decoctions effects don't disappear. You can heal and use Quen/Axii/Aard/Yrden in any non-coordinated fist fight (Geralt currently refuses to use his inventory and abilities when punching up random thugs throughout the story).

How they should fix unpredictable attack animations: Speed up the longer animations and give phantom range to the short-range ones so that every single quick attack is functionally the same.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Around 50 hours into this so far, absolutely loving it. :) Just did the first couple of main quests in Velen but I've mostly been concentrating on sidestories, going to ? locations and doing witcher contracts. I've still not even gone to the Skellige Isles yet and I've heard that's another huge environment as well!

Bloodborne and this within the last few months, fucking fantastic stuff :) (and both big contenders for GOTY for me so far)

You've a long ways to go. Long.

Bloomin eck. How long is the main quest by itself anyway ? I can tell this game is going to last me well over 100 hours and I've not even started Gwent yet! (apart from the tutorial)

Mine is Geralt who kills monsters for money, and doesn't kill monsters for free. Even if you have s sob story. Man's gotta eat.
It's interesting how people play Geralt differently. I take payment, but never haggle for more. I'll refuse payment if there's a kid or old person involved. I'm sitting on like 3,000 coins anyways, so I'm not worried.

Sakura

It's interesting how people play Geralt differently. I take payment, but never haggle for more. I'll refuse payment if there's a kid or old person involved. I'm sitting on like 3,000 coins anyways, so I'm not worried.
Probably make more money just looting barrels anyway than they can pay you for those contracts.
Got a saddle that can hold an additional 70 for 300 gold, so I can carry 130 in weight now.
Where'd you buy that?

Tacitus_

Item weight and item durability are such a non issue once you get past the prologue. Seriously. Get a saddlebag and repair your shit while in town, you will find plenty of repair kits for emergencies.

Venom Fox

Banned
Edit: Bloody Baron spoilers. Maybe?
Does
the Man/Monster/thing called Uma turn up at any point after the Bloody Baron quest again?

I'm interested in him.

Probably make more money just looting barrels anyway than they can pay you for those contracts.
I'm pretty sure you're honestly right about that. More of my 3,000 coins has probably come from random barrels/boxes and stopping to find guarded treasure than from contracts themselves.

Effect

Wow. Velen is huge! I knew the world maps would be big but this is actually to much. The area is to damn big.

Just started that area and a question.
Made it to the Inn at the Crossroads. Is it possible to kill those bandits looting the area? I managed not to start a fight while inside but kinda wishing I had just so they'd attack. Can I get them after they leave or do they show up sometime later?

ufo8mycat

I have just completed the main quests in Velen and next stop is Novigrad.

Just wondering as far as just the main quests go, how far until the end?

Just finished
Yennifers story questline in Skillige and now I have to get the Red Barons mutant thing
How much more story do I have?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Only been in Skelige an hour
and I'm already tired of Yennifer. I wish I could make Geralt stop flirting with her.

Stop, dude. Just stop.

Exentryk

A few questions -

1) In White Orchard, has anyone found a free saddlebag? I'm probably wrong but I would have sworn that I acquired a free saddlebag via looting because I don't remember purchasing one and I haven't made it past White Orchard yet so I haven't reached the horse racing yet.

2) In general, if you don't loot the dead bodies (for example, all the dead soldiers in the beginning of the game), does the loot disappear or stays until you loot the dead bodies?

3) In general, does any of what can be looted re-spawn or is it one and done?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. I think I had two saddlebags (20 stamina ones) that I sold once I was done with Wild Orchard.

2. Dunno.

3. I think the random monsters like wolves, ghouls etc will respawn eventually, but contracts and bandit camps probably won't.

Maximo

Yeah same I only haggle once just to see how it actually works but mostly I accept the coin and give it back, if a character got really fucked up and seems like they need it more then me.
Up to like 20000 gold at one point (Before buying the best runes for my gear)

My Geralt always refuses pay and I'm pretty broke. If he needs to make money he can do it the old fashioned way and go hunting, but either way, he's kitted out well enough to handle himself anyway. Money doesn't seem to be an issue.

Exentryk

Item weight and item durability are such a non issue once you get past the prologue. Seriously. Get a saddlebag and repair your shit while in town, you will find plenty of repair kits for emergencies.

Yeah, I was actually planning to modding the weight and durability before the game was out, but I thought I'll at least try it first without modding. And now, I don't think I even need to bother with the mod. Saddle bags give you more weight, and you don't really need to keep the heavy stuff with you anyway.

And repairing doesn't really feel like a chore as you can do that anytime you're visiting the smith. And durability doesn't drop that fast, so you'll end up visiting a smith plenty of times before it drops.

My Geralt always refuses pay and I'm pretty broke. If he needs to make money he can do it the old fashioned way and go hunting, but either way, he's kitted out well enough to handle himself anyway. Money doesn't seem to be an issue.
Definitely understandable! If you need money, you can find better places than many of the contracts actually.

The only people I don't mind trying to rip off are soldiers, since a lot of them seem scummy.

Maximo

regarding the tree spirit
its better if you kill it, unless you like destroying lives then its worth a shot

but for a first time playthrough you should be going with what you feel is right or what you think geralt would do, gotta live with those choices
Pffft the other option is better.

Tacitus_

Sorry, asking again since it got buried at the bottom of the page earlier.

Also, I was wondering whether the card you win if you beat someone at Gwent is fixed or random?

Yes, sidequests can get locked. If the sidequest runs along the main quest and you complete the main quest first by accident or just decide to ignore the side quest because you didn't like where the side quest was going.
They can also get locked by progressing the main story past a certain point but the game gives a warning in this case.

statham

Where'd you buy that?
In Velen the area that has the houses slightly above damp water, lots of boats around I was selling to the vendor and he ran out of money, so I kept mediating and it appeared.

looking online , this maybe the same trader I got it from.
70kg bag for 320g available from a trader in Oreton, Velen. It's located south of the Baron's keep.

frontovik

Banned
For those who have finished the game, just answer me one question:

- Do you ever participate in a battle between Nilfgaard and the Northern realms?

Skyzard

Banned
I was worried they wouldn't keep up the quality - this guy is wrong, right? :

Witcher 3

The first couple of area were fantastic, but the story took at drastic change of pace when you hit Novigrad. The game promised me wild bounty hunting and gave me a copy of Dragon Age. Just not for me I guess.

Maybe he played too much too quickly?

golem

Sorry, asking again since it got buried at the bottom of the page earlier.

Also, I was wondering whether the card you win if you beat someone at Gwent is fixed or random?

Ive seen one get marked as failed when i went too far into the main story

Not sure about Gwent

I was worried they wouldn't keep up the quality - this guy is wrong, right? :

Maybe he played too much too quickly?

That guy is really wrong. I think your assessment is right about him playing too much too quickly. "First few areas" misses the point entirely as it assumes they are areas to be consumed and forgotten about. That's just not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom