• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips on leveling? I feel like I'm not doing it right, as I don't even have any points in alchemy right now. Are the melee skills worth it? What about the general ones or the ones that talk about adrenaline which j still don't have a firm grasp on yet. I'm level 11 by the way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any tips on leveling? I feel like I'm not doing it right, as I don't even have any points in alchemy right now. Are the melee skills worth it? What about the general ones or the ones that talk about adrenaline which j still don't have a firm grasp on yet. I'm level 11 by the way.

I feel the same way. I've basically only point my points into signs(I have upgraded quen/igni a lot and I'm starting to do axii), one in the general tree for the health regen, and a few in combat but it feels like I'm making a horrible mistake each time I deposit another point.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the worst part about horse racing. you fuck up and go down the wrong path...and you turn around and still catch up to the other guy and you lose because "you cheated"

fucking game. i shouldn't have to look at the fucking minimap to be able to tell which path to take...lol

Dominator

Anyone know how to get through this gate?

A389AED4-E39D-4519-8109-2B00E6231F72_zpse6zouwzh.jpg

Have to go through to finish my Contract. Does it open later on from story missions?

Maximo

I feel the same way. I've basically only point my points into signs(I have upgraded quen/igni a lot and I'm starting to do axii), one in the general tree for the health regen, and a few in combat but it feels like I'm making a horrible mistake each time I deposit another point.
You can respec for 1000 gold if you truly regret any decision, most high level herbalists have the option.

DrSlek

I'm just going with what I feel is advantageous.

Mainly melee skills, but I maxed the level 1 Yrden skill for fighting wraiths, and I've taken a couple of alchemy skills to have oils poison and extend the duration of potions.

Might take the aim slowing for crossbows next.

Item weight and item durability are such a non issue once you get past the prologue. Seriously. Get a saddlebag and repair your shit while in town, you will find plenty of repair kits for emergencies.

Yeah, I was actually planning to modding the weight and durability before the game was out, but I thought I'll at least try it first without modding. And now, I don't think I even need to bother with the mod. Saddle bags give you more weight, and you don't really need to keep the heavy stuff with you anyway.

And repairing doesn't really feel like a chore as you can do that anytime you're visiting the smith. And durability doesn't drop that fast, so you'll end up visiting a smith plenty of times before it drops.

Definitely agree.
It was pretty rough in TW2, but it's pretty reasonable and makes sense in TW3. Villages are everywhere, we can sell junk & repair gears almost anytime. Upgraded saddlebag help too.
It adds to the immersion as well, being incumbered because carrying too much weight. I'm digging it.

the worst part about horse racing. you fuck up and go down the wrong path...and you turn around and still catch up to the other guy and you lose because "you cheated"

fucking game. i shouldn't have to look at the fucking minimap to be able to tell which path to take...lol

The worst part is, at least for the first horse race in Velen, the minimap path will steer you the wrong way. Though, fortunately not enough to disqualify you so it's always possible to get back on track... albeit behind.

For those who have finished the game, just answer me one question:

- Do you ever participate in a battle between Nilfgaard and the Northern realms?

Late Story spoilers

In a main quest, definitely not. Maybe in side quest as there is so many. But the only hand I had in the war in my game assassinating someone.

Kard8p3

Wow. Velen is huge! I knew the world maps would be big but this is actually to much. The area is to damn big.

Just started that area and a question.
Made it to the Inn at the Crossroads. Is it possible to kill those bandits looting the area? I managed not to start a fight while inside but kinda wishing I had just so they'd attack. Can I get them after they leave or do they show up sometime later?

If you mean the bandits in the inn you can buy drinks for, yes you can kill them. I initially bought drinks for them but once that conversation was over they were talking amongst themselves how one of them raped a child, so I killed them.

Lrrr

Is this game everything you guys were hoping/wishing it would be?
Are the side quests repetitive nonsense (ala many Ubisoft games)?
How's the world interaction? Is it truly immersive or are NPC's just eye candy?

Gaz_RB

I was worried they wouldn't keep up the quality - this guy is wrong, right? :

Maybe he played too much too quickly?

There is brief lull in excitement when you begin the main quest in Novigrad, especially after the fantastic Bloody Baron quest taste is still fresh in your mouth.

After a few quests it picks up again, and I'm enjoying questing here now. Different than Velen, but still great.

I'm just going with what I feel is advantageous.

Mainly melee skills, but I maxed the level 1 Yrden skill for fighting wraiths, and I've taken a couple of alchemy skills to have oils poison and extend the duration of potions.

Might take the aim slowing for crossbows next.
I think I might respec and focus on signs and a couple melee. I put fast attacks up 5/5 and it doesn't show much difference for me.

Question about the talent tree. Do you only get the benefit of skills if you can slot them in on the right? Or is that section only for getting the benefit of mutagens?

Skyzard

Banned
That guy is really wrong. I think your assessment is right about him playing too much too quickly. "First few areas" misses the point entirely as it assumes they are areas to be consumed and forgotten about. That's just not the case.

I hope so. Seems like he might've had his fill of the gameplay by then and wanted something else...

There is brief lull in excitement when you begin the main quest in Novigrad, especially after the fantastic Bloody Baron quest taste is still fresh in your mouth.

After a few quests it picks up again, and I'm enjoying questing here now. Different than Velen, but still great.

Aha okay, thanks for the headsup.

Sakura

I was worried they wouldn't keep up the quality - this guy is wrong, right? :

Maybe he played too much too quickly?
I don't really think things change much. If you like the beginning areas I think you will like it all the way through. Novigrad has a different feel because it is a city. But it's not like that is where you spend the rest of the game.
In Velen the area that has the houses slightly above damp water, lots of boats around I was selling to the vendor and he ran out of money, so I kept mediating and it appeared.

looking online , this maybe the same trader I got it from.
Thanks I'll take a look.

Mossybrew

This game impresses me the more I play it. There is just so much content here, again and again I'm surprised by interesting characters and situations, and I've barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer.

Maximo

Terrible confession, haven't played Gwent yet and I'm definitely 30+ hours in, Idk love card games I play Hearthstone alot but I'm too ingrossed in the world to sit down and play a card game, I got monsters to kill!

Jedi2016

Question about the talent tree. Do you only get the benefit of skills if you can slot them in on the right? Or is that section only for getting the benefit of mutagens?
That's for everything, they have to be activated to have any effect. I saw Jesse Cox make that mistake, dropped a point into what he thought was a passive, but it changed nothing until he slotted it.

Exentryk

I'm only level 4 right now, so can anyone tell me how the the magic skills work? Since each spell has two tiers, do you have the learn both, and slot both to be able to use both?

DrSlek

You have to slot them. I figured this out when I unslotted the arrow deflecting ability and was they constantly getting pin cushioned by bandits and deserters.

Anybody else annoyed by the fall damage or is it because I'm playing on Blood and Bones? Geralt loses half his health on falls that I could even walk away from in real life.

DukeBobby

Just finished the main quests in Velen.

Due to the open world nature of the game, I was expecting the main story to suffer as a result. I could not have been more wrong so far. Brilliant stuff.

Grimsen

Terrible confession, haven't played Gwent yet and I'm definitely 30+ hours in, Idk love card games I play Hearthstone alot but I'm too ingrossed in the world to sit down and play a card game, I got monsters to kill!

Heh, you're missing out. In my game, Gwent is the only reason Geralt gets up in the morning.

Is this game everything you guys were hoping/wishing it would be?
Are the side quests repetitive nonsense (ala many Ubisoft games)?
How's the world interaction? Is it truly immersive or are NPC's just eye candy?

CD Projekt has made a true open world game, compromising nothing and still giving us a huge land to explore. Instead of being a single-player MMO or a giant task sheet, it's a land where you're Geralt of Rivia, witcher, and you're unleashed to do your thing. Most importantly, it is a proper sequel to the previous Witcher games, continuing the series' tradition of meaningful roleplaying filled with choice & consequence. Wild Hunt is not perfect, but it's darned close.

So, in order: yes, no, good, truly immersive.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I agree with most of that except you know, not all the npcs are truly immersive ha, press a to talk:

"ugghh"
"Erm"
cycle :p

But yeah, the game is really good, so far anyway. Great world and immersion.

Anybody else annoyed by the fall damage or is it because I'm playing on Blood and Bones? Geralt loses half his health on falls that I could even walk away from in real life.

It's been brought up a few times.

Question for those who have finished the game

I sent
keira
to Kaer Morhen, will I be able to travel back there at some point so I can visit her ?

ohlawd

holy crap my choices actually matter?

Bloody Baron quest spoilers
well shit, I chose to save the tree spirit thing which made the Crones cast a curse on Anna, turning her into that thing. I chose the right doll to revert her back but that causes her death but hey, closure. went back to Crow's Perch and he hung himself. fuuuuuck

Portugeezer

Today I just went around clearing up the "?'s" on the first area. Finding a place of power is always a treat, but damn, in the second zone you go to a lot of things are much higher level 15+... wow, guess I will do a bit more of the story.

Ricker

I think the most OP enemies in this game are archers.

Like in any game,they are annoying as hell,especially here,they spot you from a mile away ,I have to go for them first hehe...

I probably messed up a quest,in the sense of what might happen later because of the choice I took,or it could be something cool also...but not sure if there will even be something coming out of it ;)

Lingitiz

I'm so engrossed by the main story, but I have a ton of sidequests, contrasts, treasure hunts, etc to do. I'm considering just seeing the main story to the end and then immediately starting a new save.

Question about the Lord of Undvik quest in the 3rd area.
Can you go back for Octo? Can't find the icon on the map and I don't remember where the ship was

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This game will probably go down as one of the best open world RPGs of all time. It did get me thinking though about RPGs and characters that can be many things (some BioWare RPGs now) versus character specific RPGs that let the player develop the characters from a point but they have a prior background (the Witcher games). I think there's one RPG that mixed the two perfectly, and that was Knights of the Old Republic, but in most instances it seems like writing RPGs is much easier focusing on an established character than an RPG that gives the player full control over many aspects of a character. To put it bluntly, I think I've come to prefer RPGs like Witcher where there's a pre-established character such as Geralt over RPGs that give you someone like The Champion in Dragon Age 2 where the writing can't be as specific.

Anyhow, the only major disappointment is that it feels like there was a missed opportunity of a unique multiplayer online experience with this game, and that is purely with Gwent. It would have been perfect. It's funny because I usually don't want multiplayer even thought about for RPGs like this, but that game lends itself perfectly to something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom