• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I find Triss? (Spoilers for Triss quest stuff just in case)
I finished her quests and romanced her, and I'm pretty sure I recalled her going to Kaer Morhen or something. So I'm here, but don't see her anywhere. Or is she just kind of gone from the game now?
She'll
be back later

Virdix

Checking in with 60-70 hours played, this my GOTY so far. Sorry Bloodborne :(.

Im lvl 20 and just went to Skellige, gonna watch Game of Thrones and get back to it :)

Lingitiz

Where can I find Triss? (Spoilers for Triss quest stuff just in case)
I finished her quests and romanced her, and I'm pretty sure I recalled her going to Kaer Morhen or something. So I'm here, but don't see her anywhere. Or is she just kind of gone from the game now?

She'll be back as you progress in the main quest. Just finish up Skellige and the following quests and it'll become obvious when she'll show.

RDreamer

I can't understand the card game, I always win the first round and then left with no cards but the opponent keeps placing all sorts of unit cards as if he drew another 10 cards :/

You've gotta play the long game with it. It does seem like it should be brute force sometimes, but a lot of how you win is actually to strategize and recognize when you're going to lose a round. Don't be afraid to throw a round. If they've got you down, and you know you've got to waste a bunch of cards to get back, save some unit cards and wait for the next one. And don't throw down your most powerful cards until you see what they're doing. You want to try and counter what they're throwing at you. Start with a spy card if you have it, or a lower card to try and get them to play their hand. It's a game of cat and mouse, really.

Saint9806

That
Shrieker
fight was intense! The game forces you to learn to roll perfectly with that fight. Got him on my 3rd try. I don't care what anyone says, I'm enjoying the combat system.

Sakura

She'll
be back later

Mainly I just wanted to see Triss and Yen in the same room together to see if there were any kind of antics over Geralt romancing her.
Also I have a quest Redania's Most Wanted
where at the end it seemed to suggest you could turn the crystal over to Triss instead of King Rado-dude, but if I can't find her I guess I can't do that eh

foxtrot3d

Banned
The thing that I thought was weird about Whoreson's quest is
that when you get to him Geralt at no point acknowledges all of the prostitute corpses in the room. When you kill him he says something like "I can't forgive you for Ciri, and not "You're a fucking monster, die" I mean sure, he beats him up for it at the beginning but you'd think it'd come up

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that was odd.

Virdix

Just finished the Carnal Sins questline... this game, man.
Did that quest earlier today, was actually sprinting even though i know the game would wait. After that quest i made a decision to do another quest based on my hatred of the Eternal Fire.

Im scared of the game ending.

The thing that I thought was weird about Whoreson's quest is
that when you get to him Geralt at no point acknowledges all of the prostitute corpses in the room. When you kill him he says something like "I can't forgive you for Ciri, and not "You're a fucking monster, die" I mean sure, he beats him up for it at the beginning but you'd think it'd come up
Well he does
talk about the corpses as he's walking up to his room, there probably wasn't much else to say.

Sakura

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that was odd.

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing.
I chose that option because I was like, there is no way I am going to let this monster continue doing what he is doing, but then Geralt's reaction was not what I was expecting at all.

Furyous

I'm one day 10 hours in just screwing around in Velen. Getting one hit by monsters sucks. Looked down and saw a field of skulls and hit the gtfoh button. If you dismantle weapons with runes does the rune return to the original state?

Tacitus_

Finished the game - or rather - the main story. Still got some odds and ends to finish up, POIs to visit et cetera. Clocked in 68 hours, but a bit of that is rethreading since I bugged out a primary quest at one point. Oh and got Gwent to play.

As for my ending
Told Emhyr that Ciri was dead and then bought her a silver sword. Geralt spent some time traveling with her, teaching her all he knew, before retiring with Yen to a small hut somewhere.
Radovid is dead (good riddance) and Temeria became a vassal of the Empire, while Skellige got a bright future under their queen.

All in all, probably the best ending I could've gotten. The only thing I regret is
that I couldn't put a sharp stick up Philippas arsehole, but eh, I'm sure Emhyr will do that if she tries to.. well be herself.

Oh and on the last boss
he was such a push over. He put on his batvoice mask and went all "come then, show me your moves" and he himself moved like he was treading in a tar pit. I had more trouble with his mage lieutenant, who I still one shot but had to use potions on him.

BLunted

Banned
I'm one day 10 hours in just screwing around in Velen. Getting one hit by monsters sucks. Looked down and saw a field of skulls and hit the gtfoh button. If you dismantle weapons with runes does the rune return to the original state?

Yes, the rune is refunded to your inventory.

a916

20 hours in, and unless this game implodes in the latter stages, this is easily shaping up to be my favorite WRPG of all time set in this medival/magical setting.

The way this game treats it's side quests... some of them have more weight to me than the main quest, and that's a testament to the side quests (kind of a detriment though too I guess).. is amazing.

I think games like this and Planescape Torment and KOTOR tells me that I prefer these kind of games with a focused and defined protagonist because they allow you to tell a really coherent and tight story. Games like DA where you can be one of a million different things invariably means a very generic story where they can shoehorn in a variety of different characters, which leads to the main story always being rather by the book.

uhm.... so when can i do this in the game?

CrispOffbeatElk.gif

UberLevi

Guys, is it weird if I've been avoiding romance as Geralt? All subtext would indicate Geralt is a ladies man, but I rejected Triss and Ves in The Witcher 2 and so far I've rejected
Keira and Triss again
in The Witcher 3.

Guys, is it weird if I've been avoiding romance as Geralt? All subtext would indicate Geralt is a ladies man, but I rejected Triss and Ves in The Witcher 2 and so far I've rejected
Keira and Triss again
in The Witcher 3.

If you think you're missing out, the brothels are always there to avail yourself of!

So I think I'm going to go with a melee focused build. Is Quen still really good like it was in TW2? What are some other early stills to put points in, other than fast attack?

I'm just about to start visit Triss for the first time and I'm sitting at 30 hours. I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of those are from my system sitting in rest mode while I napped and ate dinner/lunch over the past few days, but still. Real time is probably around 24 hours still. Amazing game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
a few quibbles.

- combat robs you of the ability to jump since the circle button is dedicated to dodging.
- the target system isnt perfect. I have a hard time jumping to the closest enemy too often, so I have to deselect everyone. then select again.
- no fast way to loop through consumables

-No need for jumping really in combat. I REALLY like the two dodge buttons as well as each have great situational purpose.
-Never lock-on unless fighting a single foe. It screws you against groups. Geralt is pretty capable of auto-targeting or aiming where your stick is pointed otherwise.
-Agreed that consumables could be easier to switch around and dig through for sure. Should have been an option in the radial menu to quickly swap out stuff in your two slots.

So I think I'm going to go with a melee focused build. Is Quen still really good like it was in TW2? What are some other early stills to put points in, other than fast attack?
Get the ability that lets you cast spells with adrenaline if you want to use quen often. You build adrenaline by playing offensively so having 3 extra spells stored is a massive bonus. Otherwise it's a playstyle thing, poison blades is great for monsters but I'd put points into signs and work towards the puppeteer form of Axii.

Hellix

Can you not use Axii's alternate sign mode while in battle? It only stuns the targetted enemy, despite holding the key. Works fine if I am not engaged yet.

The twirling is the 3rd row of fast attack talents in the sword tree IIRC. Or was it fourth. It isn't that good vs even leveled monsters but damn if it doesn't look good.

ah i see. currently im only at level 10. I'm having a hard time time choosing to go light armor or heavy. Although i haven't found a lot of heavy armor sets yet. It seems it would be more fun being a bear and just slashing the shit out of everyone like that and occasionally use some spells.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Finished the game - or rather - the main story. Still got some odds and ends to finish up, POIs to visit et cetera. Clocked in 68 hours, but a bit of that is rethreading since I bugged out a primary quest at one point. Oh and got Gwent to play.

As for my ending
Told Emhyr that Ciri was dead and then bought her a silver sword. Geralt spent some time traveling with her, teaching her all he knew, before retiring with Yen to a small hut somewhere.
Radovid is dead (good riddance) and Temeria became a vassal of the Empire, while Skellige got a bright future under their queen.

All in all, probably the best ending I could've gotten. The only thing I regret is
that I couldn't put a sharp stick up Philippas arsehole, but eh, I'm sure Emhyr will do that if she tries to.. well be herself.

Oh and on the last boss
he was such a push over. He put on his batvoice mask and went all "come then, show me your moves" and he himself moved like he was treading in a tar pit. I had more trouble with his mage lieutenant, who I still one shot but had to use potions on him.
I loved the last boss but only because I felt like a badass perfectly understanding his moveset and deftly dodging that shit, but you are right the mage was a harder fight. I still think the ending I got was the best. Also, despite the fact that I killed Radovid I don't dislike the man. Despite everyone saying he's insane outside of the chess conversation he seems perfectly reasonable and his perscution against mages is justified. The fucking Lodge which included Phillipa Eilhart killed his father and most of the other kings. They are all sceheming cunts who believe they are suerpior to everyone else and deserve to rule over everyone. Radovid was correct to put them in their place although he did go too far.

iNvid02

Damn I need help. Do I kill the
weird hear thing in the tree or, trick it, or do the ritual to free it?!!!

regarding the tree spirit
its better if you kill it, unless you like destroying lives then its worth a shot

but for a first time playthrough you should be going with what you feel is right or what you think geralt would do, gotta live with those choices

-No need for jumping really in combat. I REALLY like the two dodge buttons as well as each have great situational purpose.
-Never lock-on unless fighting a single foe. It screws you against groups. Geralt is pretty capable of auto-targeting or aiming where your stick is pointed otherwise.
-Agreed that consumables could be easier to switch around and dig through for sure. Should have been an option in the radial menu to quickly swap out stuff in your two slots.

Sometimes I want to hop over something to the side.

Man just arrived in Skellige. What a beauty. Also just hit level 14 so luckily I got all the Feline gear just before so I can rock that for awhile.

WoodlandBeast16.jpg

WoodlandBeast110.jpg

WoodlandBeast115.jpg

It's the Whirl attack ability under Combat.

yeee someone else rocking the short hair and feline armor. Just got the armor and loving it. Short hair and shaved geralt is probably my favourite geralt so far. Haven't tried out all the hairstyles yet.

Tacitus_

ah i see. currently im only at level 10. I'm having a hard time time choosing to go light armor or heavy. Although i haven't found a lot of heavy armor sets yet. It seems it would be more fun being a bear and just slashing the shit out of everyone like that and occasionally use some spells.

It's more that you get interrupted if you don't cut them down fast enough.

I loved the last boss but only because I felt like a badass perfectly understanding his moveset and deftly dodging that shit, but you are right the mage was a harder fight. I still think the ending I got was the best. Also, despite the fact that I killed Radovid I don't dislike the man. Despite everyone saying he's insane outside of the chess conversation he seems perfectly reasonable and his perscution against mages is justified. The fucking Lodge which included Phillipa Eilhart killed his father and most of the other kings. They are all sceheming cunts who believe they are suerpior to everyone else and deserve to rule over everyone. Radovid was correct to put them in their place although he did go too far.

Aye, I was kinda on the fence about him at first. Taking out the lodge was completely justified and Phil deserved everything she got (and I wouldn't have said this at the end of W2), but he just went nuts with it. Or maybe he didn't reign in his underlings. Burning village healers, alchemists was too much -- actually, I decided to kill him when I heard Kalkstein got burned. When they started hunting nonhumans after running out of mages cemented my decision.

RDreamer

I think games like this and Planescape Torment and KOTOR tells me that I prefer these kind of games with a focused and defined protagonist because they allow you to tell a really coherent and tight story. Games like DA where you can be one of a million different things invariably means a very generic story where they can shoehorn in a variety of different characters, which leads to the main story always being rather by the book.

Absolutely agreed.

I've never really liked the blank slate a lot of WRPGs go with. Witcher has such a perfect balance of being able to make key decisions, but still having a real character there.

Fuuuuu I don't even know. I'm intrigued as to what happens if I do
the ritual. But at the same time this thing isn't human, but I'd like to know what it is haha. Such a hard choice!
Let's put it this way, there's a "better" ending, but really people die either way and it's a good example to show you that the world in the game is shades of grey and not black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom