• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
witcher32015-05-2417-32-18.png

witcher32015-05-2417-36-45.png

witcher32015-05-2418-35-21.png

witcher32015-05-2418-44-18.png

witcher32015-05-2417-11-43.png

witcher32015-05-2417-17-58.png

witcher32015-05-2418-09-27.png

These should be posted in the downgrade thread...

Actually don't bother. That thread is dead (for good reason).

k fuck it think im gonna yu gi oh this bitch

what's the best tutorial out there if I just skipped the Gwent introduction

The best tutorial is probably just to sit down and start playing but...

Basic Gameplay:

The object of a game of gwent is to win two rounds before your opponent does. You win a round by having a higher combined strength than he does once you've both passed. When the game starts, a first player is selected randomly by coin flip, and you both draw 10 hands from your own decks. This is your hand. You take turns playing cards, until one of you passes, at which point the other may play as many more as he or she likes. There are three types of cards: unit cards, special cards, and leader cards. Unit cards are basically monsters or characters that provide the actual strength of your deck. They're divided into melee, ranged, and siege. All this division does is select which row they're played into. The special cards you'll start with are weather effects, which will reduce every single card in a single row (for both sides) to 1 strength. Your starting leader card is Foltest, and he lets you draw one such card from your deck and play it immediately. Some unit cards have additional abilities, represented by an icon on the card. To inspect any card, just right click on it.

Deck requirements:

Each deck must have one leader card, at least 22 unit cards, and up to 10 special cards. They may also only consist of cards from one deck type, as well as neutral cards. So no monsters in your Northern Kingdoms deck.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. That's the jist of it. You pick it up pretty fast just by playing. That said you'll probably want to 'start' by going back to merchants, innkeeps, and blacksmiths in the early portion of the game, if you've gotten past act 1. =] Good luck, Salsa!

Where are you? I had most of those same issues at first hut they all melted away once I spent some time in Velen and really got into the meat of the game as well as getting a better hold on combat.

Thanks

I'm chasing Wild Hunt through some Elven ruins with a witch.

Also, how integral are crafting and alchemy to the game as a whole? Thanks for any insight!

emag

I've opened all the areas and haven't touched gwent.

You're not missing anything. Well, the card art is neat, but Gwent itself is absurdly shallow. Both the deck-building and card play are blindingly obvious (not even in the same league as Hearthstone or Dominion, let alone MtG) -- collecting the cards is the primary aspect of the "game".

W T F ?

My friend is playing on PS4 and ALL SIX of his save files became "corrupted"!

He was in the Nilfgaardian fortress, about to fight an Earth Golem, when he manually saved right before the fight. He died, went to reload his save, and it didn't fucking work.

This somehow managed to corrupt all of his saves!

I know this is a bit more common on X1, but has anyone on PS4 encountered this problem?

Tell me there's a workaround. Dude has already put 30+ hours into the game and he's a platinum trophy hunter (90+ and counting), so this is a real bummer for him.

mujun

I find this game to be a very interesting combination of terrible and amazing.

Terrible combat, glitchy, overly complicated systems, hard to read, hard to level up, economy is too harsh, etc.

On the other hand the world is nice, especially love the abundance of foliage, great fleshed out quests, great characters and dialog, etc.

Neverfade

W T F ?

My friend is playing on PS4 and ALL SIX of his save files became "corrupted"!

He was in the Nilfgaardian fortress, about to fight an Earth Golem, when he manually saved right before the fight. He died, went to reload his save, and it didn't fucking work.

This somehow managed to corrupt all of his saves!

I know this is a bit more common on X1, but has anyone on PS4 encountered this problem?

Tell me there's a workaround. Dude has already put 30+ hours into the game and he's a platinum trophy hunter (90+ and counting), so this is a real bummer for him.

Has he checked to see if his cloud saves are ok?

Jedi2016

Someone

Talk to me about the Keira Metz plotline. How good was that??

I'm still thinking about it. Some of you must have done it by now
I made a couple of bad choices there.. hehe. But that's the name of the game, so to speak. I only look up the consequences after I've seen how bad the one I picked is. :) And in some cases, it's not so bad. With Keira.. yeah, I fucked up twice pretty bad.. hehe.

Salsa

The best tutorial is probably just to sit down and start playing but...

Basic Gameplay:

The object of a game of gwent is to win two rounds before your opponent does. You win a round by having a higher combined strength than he does once you've both passed. When the game starts, a first player is selected randomly by coin flip, and you both draw 10 hands from your own decks. This is your hand. You take turns playing cards, until one of you passes, at which point the other may play as many more as he or she likes. There are three types of cards: unit cards, special cards, and leader cards. Unit cards are basically monsters or characters that provide the actual strength of your deck. They're divided into melee, ranged, and siege. All this division does is select which row they're played into. The special cards you'll start with are weather effects, which will reduce every single card in a single row (for both sides) to 1 strength. Your starting leader card is Foltest, and he lets you draw one such card from your deck and play it immediately. Some unit cards have additional abilities, represented by an icon on the card. To inspect any card, just right click on it.

Deck requirements:

Each deck must have one leader card, at least 22 unit cards, and up to 10 special cards. They may also only consist of cards from one deck type, as well as neutral cards. So no monsters in your Northern Kingdoms deck.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. That's the jist of it. You pick it up pretty fast just by playing. That said you'll probably want to 'start' by going back to merchants, innkeeps, and blacksmiths in the early portion of the game, if you've gotten past act 1. =] Good luck, Salsa!

thanks duder

guess i'll head back to white orchard

TMC

The loading times are pretty bad at least on PS4. Bloodborne got a lot of flak for it but people seem to be giving W3 a pass. Guessing it's because death isn't quite as common?

Still, I'm reloading saves and dying often enough for it to be a nuisance

Oh, its absolutely horrible on PS4. I have an SSHD, but its still ridiculous. It takes about 50-52 seconds to load after death. I compared with a friend who has a regular HDD and it takes him about 1:15. I wonder how much better it would be with an SSD.

The load times annoy me more than any other technical issue with the game. I spend quite a bit of time waiting for the loading screen on Death March difficulty.

Auctopus

Fucking hell, Viveks. Amazing shots.

Finally made it to Ard Skelling and it feels like a whole new world, I love it. The moment you tell Yennifer about everything you've been doing on the hunt for Ciri really brings it back and gives you an amazing sense of progress. Now, there's this whole new storyline in this land, littered with intriguing side quests!

I have certainly have my issues with the game but the actual game part of it is absolutely incredible.

tuxfool

Banned
I actually did. No responses at all! :D

Quite. I think it looks even better than those screenshots they had posted, bizarre wall geometry changes not withstanding.

Man you're going to love taking screenshots of Skellige, especially that purple sunset horse riding scene. I can tell you that even a casual gallop through areas of skellige look like that scene from the video (ofc with the right atmospheric conditions, as you probably well know even beyond weather, they change).

Jedi2016

How common is the Gwent crashing thing on PS4? I haven't bothered because of all the problems people were reporting, I assumed it would just crash or lock up my system or something. I was going to wait until a patch came out that specifically addressed it before I started playing.

Goddamn this game. (Keira sidequest spoilers.)
Think that I'm lifting a curse by helping bring resolution and forgiveness to two lovers. Instead, they're now both dead (instead of just one) and I end up releasing a pestilence that apparently will decimate an entire kingdom someday.

I like how you rarely have all the information to always make the "right" choice in this game. In most other choice heavy games you can usually easily distinguish the "right" and "wrong" choice. A lot of time in this game you just don't have all the information, and things turn out badly because of that (and not really as any fault of your own.). Just like in real life.

Beefy

Oh, its absolutely horrible on PS4. I have an SSHD, but its still ridiculous. It takes about 50-52 seconds to load after death. I compared with a friend who has a regular HDD and it takes him about 1:15. I wonder how much better it would be with an SSD.

The load times annoy me more than any other technical issue with the game. I spend quite a bit of time waiting for the loading screen on Death March difficulty.

Has your mate got a load of games or something? The loading times for me take 50secs max and that is on a standard HDD.

Beefy

How common is the Gwent crashing thing on PS4? I haven't bothered because of all the problems people were reporting, I assumed it would just crash or lock up my system or something. I was going to wait until a patch came out that specifically addressed it before I started playing.

I save before I play a game. But so far no crashes and I have played around 10 games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've played a ton of gwent and had no issues. Witcher has crashed on me once but it was while looking at the map.

30IR

Banned
Both suck for different reasons, but
destroying it
is (IMO) the slightly less bad option. But only slightly.

Damn it!
I 'tricked' it first and it died but I was too curious to see what would happen if you went through with the ritual so I reloaded the save and did the ritual - allowing the spirit to live! I hope it doesn't screw up the story too much.

Also, to those who have done Family Ties,
did you kill the botchling or free its spirit? I just killed it in front of the baron and did the ritual with the Pellar. Now I'm at the part where he says he is going to Crookback Bog with some men to rescue his wife, Anna. I just have a nagging feeling that's not going to end well for him.

Damn it!
I 'tricked' it first and it died but I was too curious to see what would happen if you went through with the ritual so I reloaded the save and did the ritual - allowing the spirit to live! I hope it doesn't screw up the story too much.

Also, to those who have done Family Ties,
did you kill the botchling or free its spirit? I just killed it in front of the baron and did the ritual with the Pellar. Now I'm at the part where he says he is going to Crookback Bog with some men to rescue his wife, Anna. I just have a nagging feeling that's not going to end well for him.

I did the Lubberkin transformation. Felt like the better outcome.

TMC

I've never had the game crash on me during Gwent. I have played tons of games too.

Has your mate got a load of games or something? The loading times for me take 50secs max and that is on a standard HDD.

Not sure. 25 second difference is pretty significant though. Weird.

Load times in the PC version on my SSD are great. Less than 15 seconds after a death and 5-10 seconds to fast travel anywhere in the game(outside of going from the islands to the central mass)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I slept with her, she just peaces off the the island the next morning and you go and confront her. What happens if you don't sleep with her? And I sent her to Kaer as well, I didn't know she had anything useful. Is there even an option not to send her? It sounded like shed be hunted down and burned if I didn't

If you call her a fork tongued liar and then say you refuse to leave until she hands over the notes, she fights you and you're forced to kill her. That's what happened to me.

MilesTeg

Banned
On PS4 the load times after death are very long. Anything over 30 seconds is really pushing it and these load times are about double that.

I didn't realize how many coins I had picked up. Went to the bank to exchange them and walked out with 700+ crowns. Neato!

If anyone is short on coin in Novigrad, make sure you exchange what you picked up earlier!

Magic the Gwentering is great little addition to the game.
It crashed for me the very first time I tried the Gwent tutorial, but I had saved it just before the game. I reloaded and it worked fine. I guess I've played six or so games since then against other opponents and had no further problems.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Both suck for different reasons, but
destroying it
is (IMO) the slightly less bad option. But only slightly.
I kept going back and forth on that one.
Wound up killing it at the last second. Even started the ritual to free it but destroyed it before finishing. He seemed sketchy. Didn't want to risk making things worse. What happens if you free it?

Load times in the PC version on my SSD are great. Less than 15 seconds after a death and 5-10 seconds to fast travel anywhere in the game(outside of going from the islands to the central mass)

I'm on a HDD and it's not that long either, about the same time as you to load a game and fast travel.

The Crookback Bog stuff is terrific. Character designs are amazing.

Indeed.
The swamp is amazing and the story and characters are top notch. Loved it.

Haha well, I should've add "here" then.

justjim89

What I'm now curious about is which game is the most lore-accurate? Especially in terms of signs and potions and the way they're used. Or how Geralt behaves in combat. Anyone well-versed in the books have thoughts on this?

SRG01

This is the first time I'm getting my ass kicked on normal difficulty, with the
Jenny O The Woods
quest. Namely,
how on earth am I supposed to beat her at level 11/12? I don't do nearly enough damage, and I'm still using the crafted silver sword from the prologue (haven't found another one yet). Also, why is my silver sword decreasing in durability so fast?

Beefy

I hope they change Ciri up for the next game. The way she runs/walks is annoying, her dodge isn't that good either it reminded me of Infamous.

Juanfp

Finally had time to play this weekend and just leave White Orchard. Just 5 hours if gameplay in that zone and all feel great.

Jedi2016

I save before I play a game. But so far no crashes and I have played around 10 games.
I've played a ton of gwent and had no issues..
I've never had the game crash on me during Gwent.
It crashed for me the very first time I tried the Gwent tutorial, but I had saved it just before the game. I reloaded and it worked fine. I guess I've played six or so games since then against other opponents and had no further problems.
It's late, so I won't get to try it until tomorrow, so be warned that if it crashes, I'll come back in here very cross and tell you that it crashed and you will all feel horrible. And if you don't feel bad about it, then I guess.. er.. you'll just have to live with that.

In Novigrad, on the quest looking for
Dandelion. It felt weird that one of my timed dialogue choices was for the dialogue for the sisters. Wonder why that mattered so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom