• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Finding 'normal' red mutagens, specifically, seems to be a problem, at least for me @ 50ish hours in.

I've found enough to make 1 greater Red, but have acquired enough to get 3 of green and blue.

Ghouls/Alghouls refuse to drop them (or I'm hella unlucky), and the other monsters that drop them seem to have 'named' variants which can't be upgraded.

Sucks for a sword-focused build. :/

Philtastic

Thread is moving too fast for me to keep up with but I've seen a lot of comments about how the combat allegedly feels clunky while also seeing a lot of people really liking it. I am firmly in the latter camp while playing on Death March. I've seen some comparisons to the Batman games, and I would like to stress that you're supposed to feel pretty overpowered in those games since you're the freakin' Batman! In contrast, the Witcher books and games attempt to maintain some realism in its brutal and magical world where even the experienced Geralt is still only human and can be overcome by nekkers and ghouls and bandits. Consider that he is [book spoiler and previous game semi-spoiler]
killed by a peasant with a pitchfork

Basically, the game's combat is somewhat realistic in that you can't tank a barrage of blows, movements generally have momentum, and you will die very quickly if you let yourself get surrounded. You need to prepare potions, apply oils, ready bombs, and know how your enemy fights to truly succeed. And then don't get greedy swinging your sword constantly and don't get surrounded. Weave in and out and dance with your foes. Similar to fencing, whoever attacks first generally has priority on hit so, if an enemy is charging at you, don't try to meet it with a strike of your own because you'll probably get hit. You might blame this on Geralt's twirly animations but the same thing occurs if an enemy tries to meet your spinning slice due to their animations. It all boils down to your timing and working with how Geralt moves.

Admitting that I'm not the greatest player nor have I had as much time to dive into this as many of you, here's a video where I fight Velen drowners, dogs, a bear, and ghouls in one segment on Death March, no deaths. You will see how you really need to keep moving and time your strikes against multiple foes which is, in my opinion, where this game's combat truly shines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IguE_LG3Rc

So I've finished the Keira Metz quest line
she's off to Kaer Morhen
, and I'm trying to start Ladies in the Wood. The quest log just tells me to read "Ladies in the Wood." Unless I'm on drugs, I don't have that item in my inventory. How and when should I have gotten it? Can you miss it? Could I have sold it? Can I progress without it?

Trojan

Finding it quite entertaining when I'm able to steal shit in broad daylight directly in front of town guards because part of my arm is obstructed behind a wall. Deal with it, city watch.

UberLevi

8yAMVZp.jpg

EtdYoEL.jpg

QmT89YV.jpg

I'm digging Skellige so far.

So far gorgeous game. Two complaints thus far, however,

- Frame drops during battles are terrible
- the hits landed have no "weight"and no sound from time to time, which is really jarring having come from bloodborne where every hit feels so satisfying

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

- the hits landed have no "weight"and no sound from time to time, which is really jarring having come from bloodborne where every hit feels so satisfying

I had the silent hit. It's like you muted everything.

I hate getting stuck on the side of steps you have to pan around 360 degrees in order to retry it.

Wandering around, happen upon a bandit camp thing and.

They attack me, I kill them all and see they have a prisoner. I free him and he runs off. I go looting about and find a letter.
The letter was from one of the bandits addressed to his wife apparently.
Talking about how despite the wife hating robbing poors/refugees, she should be glad. They captured a guy with a lot of money, were going to rough him up, cut off thumbs to make sure he squealed about everything he had.
After the bandit was going to come home, rich and back to support his family. Going to buy sweets for his kids and a present for his wife.

WAS

Damn, I felt something after that, didn't expect to.

Are you having trouble with the 3 wraiths that spawn and steal your life? Thought you had to kill them quickly, but you can simply run away and they will disappear, then Yrden and silver bombs.
The lifesteal is fucking with me the most, damn it.
So far everything but it, regarding level appropriate stuff, I've managed but I gave up on that one for the time being.

Tough enough with hitting hard and having to Sign it appropriately, then it has serious lifesteal on top.

Trojan

Didn't really notice that until you mentioned it. Now, can't unhear weak enemy hits.

MikeDown

Banned
I love this game, really good quests and characters; alot of work put into the tiny details. Though at times the game can look amazingly beautiful or amazingly ugly. Haven't made it to Novigrad yet

Thread is moving too fast for me to keep up with but I've seen a lot of comments about how the combat allegedly feels clunky while also seeing a lot of people really liking it. I am firmly in the latter camp while playing on Death March. I've seen some comparisons to the Batman games, and I would like to stress that you're supposed to feel pretty overpowered in those games since you're the freakin' Batman! In contrast, the Witcher books and games attempt to maintain some realism in its brutal and magical world where even the experienced Geralt is still only human and can be overcome by nekkers and ghouls and bandits. Consider that he is [book spoiler and previous game semi-spoiler]
killed by a peasant with a pitchfork

Basically, the game's combat is somewhat realistic in that you can't tank a barrage of blows, movements generally have momentum, and you will die very quickly if you let yourself get surrounded. You need to prepare potions, apply oils, ready bombs, and know how your enemy fights to truly succeed. And then don't get greedy swinging your sword constantly and don't get surrounded. Weave in and out and dance with your foes. Similar to fencing, whoever attacks first generally has priority on hit so, if an enemy is charging at you, don't try to meet it with a strike of your own because you'll probably get hit. You might blame this on Geralt's twirly animations but the same thing occurs if an enemy tries to meet your spinning slice due to their animations. It all boils down to your timing and working with how Geralt moves.

Admitting that I'm not the greatest player nor have I had as much time to dive into this as many of you, here's a video where I fight Velen drowners, dogs, a bear, and ghouls in one segment on Death March, no deaths. You will see how you really need to keep moving and time your strikes against multiple foes which is, in my opinion, where this game's combat truly shines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IguE_LG3Rc

Yeah, I'm enjoying Death March difficulty combat as well. It took a couple hours to get used to it at the beginning, but it's definitely the way to go if you want combat to be exciting. I don't understand the complaints at all.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Death March is a love hate relationship for me. Humans are easy but a group of Drowners or a Golem? Gotta play super careful. Sometimes Geralt just rolls and gets stuck in terrain which is my only complaint so far. That, and every single swing isn't the same so you can't be sure how Geralt will swing and whether it will leave you open.

Wandering around, happen upon a bandit camp thing and.

They attack me, I kill them all and see they have a prisoner. I free him and he runs off. I go looting about and find a letter.
The letter was from one of the bandits addressed to his wife apparently.
Talking about how despite the wife hating robbing poors/refugees, she should be glad. They captured a guy with a lot of money, were going to rough him up, cut off thumbs to make sure he squealed about everything he had.
After the bandit was going to come home, rich and back to support his family. Going to buy sweets for his kids and a present for his wife.

WAS

Damn, I felt something after that, didn't expect to.

Even when you kill someone to defend someone else, you're still killing a person. They in all likelyhood have or had people that loved and depended upon them. There's a very small quest that drives this home (location spoilers)
west of Crow's Perch in Velen, at a place called Hangman's Alley. It's too bad that it's missable if you don't visit the location until you're doing a main storyline quest that visits the location as well.

Death March is a love hate relationship for me. Humans are easy but a group of Drowners or a Golem? Gotta play super careful.

Alghouls are probably the single most brutal thing that I've fought a pack of yet. They're vicious, and their special ability is just cruel. I'm definitely not the least bit hesitant to pop potions and use bombs for these little groups of 'lesser' beasts.

Death March is a love hate relationship for me. Humans are easy but a group of Drowners or a Golem? Gotta play super careful. Sometimes Geralt just rolls and gets stuck in terrain which is my only complaint so far. That, and every single swing isn't the same so you can't be sure how Geralt will swing and whether it will leave you open.

Axii makes everything easy except wraiths and alt axii immune monsters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thread is moving too fast for me to keep up with but I've seen a lot of comments about how the combat allegedly feels clunky while also seeing a lot of people really liking it. I am firmly in the latter camp while playing on Death March.

I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones and am too in the latter category. It's not without a few rough spots (unbroken animations and some odd hitboxes on certain enemies), but when people really rip into it as bad I can't help but think, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, that they just suck at the game, likely playing it wrong.

If I can tackle an enemy several levels higher than myself purely by applying skill and using my equipment tactfully then something must be right in the game systems.

I do think, much like the last game, the opening chapters and early quests are the hardest as Geralt has less equipment and undercooked skills. Everybody seems to stumble upon that side quest werewolf fight quite early (as I did) and that tends to be make or break. I remember throwing myself up against it thinking "this is impossible, what the fuck". But when I finally beat it I wasn't being cheap, or cheesing game mechanics, or anything like that. I was playing better and smarter.

In short; get gud.

EDIT: An example of learning things the hard way are drowners. In groups they attack very quickly, often one after the other, which can stun lock you. They're able to make up a lot of ground if you try to move backwards, almost as fast as you. So naturally you don't want to be in the middle of them, and you need to be careful with your crowd control. They're vulnerable to fire. Use your igni burst, and if it lights them up they'll be momentarily stunned. Yrden is also useful as it'll slow their attacks.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Axii makes everything easy except wraiths and alt axii immune monsters.

I've been thinking about respeccing and just putting all my points into Axii and fast attacks lol. I've got 5000 gold now at level 13 so it's probably not a bad idea.

Also fyi, different merchants give you different sell back prices. The dwarf in Baron's place offers half for a sword compared to a blacksmith in Novigrad.

I refuse to goto the next area until I 100% the second. I finished the red baron quest and witches now I am just trying to do side quest and clear the ? marks so far 27hrs according to steam

I've been thinking about respeccing and just putting all my points into Axii and fast attacks lol. I've got 5000 gold now at level 13 so it's probably not a bad idea.

Also fyi, different merchants give you different sell back prices. The dwarf in Baron's place offers half for a sword compared to a blacksmith in Novigrad.

I always figured signs was the way to go for Witcher 3, and I was right.

I figured I could just keep waiting to use igni or aard over and over, but Axii literally wrecks everything.
I even Axii the Wild Hunt first boss and killed him in some buggy fashion lol

diamount

Banned
The lifesteal is fucking with me the most, damn it.
So far everything but it, regarding level appropriate stuff, I've managed but I gave up on that one for the time being.

Tough enough with hitting hard and having to Sign it appropriately, then it has serious lifesteal on top.

Like I said, run away as soon as they spawn and they will disappear.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It's really easy to just die out of a combo burst of some people. I'm back and forth on the combat, my main issue has been hitboxes since some are 100% bullshit and hit you when you were nowhere near it but otherwise I like the back and forth fights can have. But yeah, the lack of a concise knowledge of knowing when you hit _ button you'll get a certain swing also adds a disconnect and can make you take hits you otherwise wouldn't. There can also be a lack of proper feedback as hits just don't make any sound, which is ultra jank.

I had the hardest time with Water Hags early on. That teleport move can be insanely deceptive in speed.

Just finished the Djinn quest in Skellige.
I told Yen I didn't feel the same way. Oh man the expression on her face, the quick rambling, the confusion, the heartbreak in her eyes. I almost want to reload 20 hours back and let Triss sail for Kovir. I'm sorry Yen! I'll choose you on the next playthrough, I promise!

"The Calm Before the Storm" spoilers:

Good to see that this game adheres to the novels as far as Ciri goes...

First rule of Ciri:
She screws everyone (Takes after her foster father).

Second rule of Ciri:
Everyone she screws dies horribly.

I see people talking about upgrading witcher gear. What's this all about? I sold the gear I started with, do I need to go back to the merchant and buy it back?

Shouta

I just got to Skellige and holy shit, just when I didn't think the environments could be better, this place is just nuts. D=

I see people talking about upgrading witcher gear. What's this all about? I sold the gear I started with, do I need to go back to the merchant and buy it back?

The only piece of the STARTER gear that can be upgraded, I think, is the chest piece. You start the game with a pattern that uses it as an upgrade. Pretty sure the Witcher sword patterns you find in White Orchard are also one-offs. After that though, you'll find sets of patterns for Witcher gear, each of which has several levels of upgrades.

Anfang

alright so I dont normally like to know how the story works out beforehand but this part is killin me. In novi at the witch hunters joint with triss, how does letting her get tortured affect the story

Fell down a cliff trying to get into a watchtower near the village at the beginning of the game...ran through the forest all the way around to unlock the gate at the bridge...at least I accomplished something...lol

I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones and am too in the latter category. It's not without a few rough spots (unbroken animations and some odd hitboxes on certain enemies), but when people really rip into it as bad I can't help but think, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, that they just suck at the game, likely playing it wrong.

If I can tackle an enemy several levels higher than myself purely by applying skill and using my equipment tactfully then something must be right in the game systems.

I do think, much like the last game, the opening chapters and early quests are the hardest as Geralt has less equipment and undercooked skills. Everybody seems to stumble upon that side quest werewolf fight quite early (as I did) and that tends to be make or break. I remember throwing myself up against it thinking "this is impossible, what the fuck". But when I finally beat it I wasn't being cheap, or cheesing game mechanics, or anything like that. I was playing better and smarter.

In short; get gud.

EDIT: An example of learning things the hard way are drowners. In groups they attack very quickly, often one after the other, which can stun lock you. They're able to make up a lot of ground if you try to move backwards, almost as fast as you. So naturally you don't want to be in the middle of them, and you need to be careful with your crowd control. They're vulnerable to fire. Use your igni burst, and if it lights them up they'll be momentarily stunned. Yrden is also useful as it'll slow their attacks.

Which enemies were you having hitbox issues with? I personally am struggling with Foglings and Wraiths, but I assumed that was me not timing my Yrdens correctly.

But apart from that, I agree with you about the combat. I am playing on Normal and am struggling, but all my death's were a direct result of my impatience or lack of planning.

TheFatMan

I refuse to goto the next area until I 100% the second. I finished the red baron quest and witches now I am just trying to do side quest and clear the ? marks so far 27hrs according to steam

Good luck with that. There are many quests that go from Novigrad/Velen to Skelege and back. Some quests on Skellege are as low as level 10, while some in the first primary area go all the way up to almost 40.

It's not designed to be done in sections, and you'll be missing out on some experiences if you try never leaving.

Anfang

Where can I get a bigger saddle?

Saddle I got from a quest in novi wen you look for dandelion. Its the part with Molly. The general takes you to a horse race to see her and challenges you. If you win you get a new saddle. If you are referring to saddle bags, merchant in putrid grove sells a 100 slot one

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Alghouls are probably the single most brutal thing that I've fought a pack of yet. They're vicious, and their special ability is just cruel. I'm definitely not the least bit hesitant to pop potions and use bombs for these little groups of 'lesser' beasts.

Axii locks down their spikes

Denton

How many hours does it take you guys to reach Skellige ?

I have played for 24 hours so far and just finished Keira"s "find the lamp" quest.

I feel like I explored shit all even in Velen. Never been to Novigrad or Oxenfurt.

This game is insane. I simply do not understand how were they able to make this in 3.5 years at this level of quality, complexity and scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom