• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

This is the first time I'm getting my ass kicked on normal difficulty, with the
Jenny O The Woods
quest. Namely,
how on earth am I supposed to beat her at level 11/12? I don't do nearly enough damage, and I'm still using the crafted silver sword from the prologue (haven't found another one yet). Also, why is my silver sword decreasing in durability so fast?
I think you're going to want a sword upgrade asap. I'd make that a priority. Any of the scavenger hunts should lead you to a better one.

For Jenny, I just used quen and yrden. Trap her in the yrden circle, get a few good hits in, dodge away. Repeat. Keep quen up as precaution

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Geralt's beard growth is annoying me as much as weapon degredation usually does. I like it trimmed but the Novigrad barber never seems to be open so I have to keep traveling to Oxenfort. Now I'm glad I can't grow a beard IRL

Effect

If you mean the bandits in the inn you can buy drinks for, yes you can kill them. I initially bought drinks for them but once that conversation was over they were talking amongst themselves how one of them raped a child, so I killed them.

Nice. Going to give that a try.

SRG01

I think you're going to want a sword upgrade asap. I'd make that a priority. Any of the scavenger hunts should lead you to a better one.

For Jenny, I just used quen and yrden. Trap her in the yrden circle, get a few good hits in, dodge away. Repeat. Keep quen up as precaution

Yeah, I tried that
but she regenerates all her health back when she summons her nightwraith friends :( I guess I'll go look for that sword first!

Geralt's beard growth is annoying me as much as weapon degredation usually does. I like it trimmed but the Novigrad barber never seems to be open so I have to keep traveling to Oxenfort. Now I'm glad I can't grow a beard IRL
First mod I want is one that locks beard growth. The short trimmed look is my favorite but it grows back so fast...
Yeah, I tried that
but she regenerates all her health back when she summons her nightwraith friends :( I guess I'll go look for that sword first!
I just quickfired the crossbow at all 3 copies of her and that stops her from regenning too quickly.

I just checked the Gwent Trophy description and it says
Acquire all gwent cards available in the base version of the game. So we get more cards in the expansions?!?! I'm so stoked.

CSX

What's the name of the track that sometimes play when you're traveling? Has soft female chanting. Been particularly hearing it in the third main world area
Skelliege

It's so damn goooood

zkorejo

Damn it!
I 'tricked' it first and it died but I was too curious to see what would happen if you went through with the ritual so I reloaded the save and did the ritual - allowing the spirit to live! I hope it doesn't screw up the story too much.

Also, to those who have done Family Ties,
did you kill the botchling or free its spirit? I just killed it in front of the baron and did the ritual with the Pellar. Now I'm at the part where he says he is going to Crookback Bog with some men to rescue his wife, Anna. I just have a nagging feeling that's not going to end well for him.
There is no good or bad ending to this i quest imo.
Save the tree or kill the tree
, its always a bittersweet conclusion.

Rnr1224

Not sure if anyone knows but I think the "Now or Never" quest is bugged for me. I finished the A Matter of Life and Death quest where
i chose to kiss Triss and then she left on horseback.
But now the next quest won't show up at all. Anything prerequisite that I missed and didn't fulfill?

Edit: Nevermind got it after finishing a couple more of the main quests.

The load time for Velen is a fair bit longer than the White Orchard one which is understandable I guess given the difference in map size and things to do.

It would be nice if they could get the time down with a patch but, if anything, it's helped me focus more closely on making sure I don't die in combat.

Loading times and some frame rate drops (one or two big ones and a handful of much more minor ones) are my only niggles so far.
However, so far for me this game is definitely ahead of Bloodborne as my favourite game for the PS4. And I really, really, really like Bloodborne.

It's a good looking game, it has brilliant sound design and music, good acting, is well written and engaging, has interesting things for the player to participate in and allows the player to shape the story in meaningful ways. It's extraordinarily feature rich.
The combat, which some have had difficulty with, feels fine to me. It took some time to click coming straight off Bloodborne despite superficial similarities.
But I'm so glad they didnt go for a super fast button mashing system leaving the game like some kind of hyperactive Sonic the Witcher.
It rewards tactical play and demands a clarity of approach to get the best out of it. Learning the best strategies for different enemies and the best uses of dodge and roll, of signs, potions, oils and differing attack methods have made the combat rich and challenging.

I think it's a fantastic work based on the time I've played so far.

Yo, so I went to listen to
Priscilla aka Callonetta
during the Novigrad storyline while looking for
Dandelion. And after the song was over, when I was clapping, I was yelled at for killing people in White Orchard. Yoooo what the hell?! I was trying to help out there ;_;

ironcreed

Banned
I am getting so wrapped up in doing side stuff that the main story itself is taking a backseat. So many quests that start off seemingly mundane soon spiral into their own interesting plots that pull you right in and take you away. I am blown away by how deep the rabbit hole goes with this game. It's just so well thought out and layered with incredible attention to detail.

finished the bog stuff. this game could be perfect territory if they work more on the combat next game.

I am getting so wrapped up in doing side stuff that the main story itself is taking a backseat. So many quests that start off seemingly mundane soon spiral into their own interesting plots that pull you right in and take you away. I am blown away by how deep the rabbit hole goes with this game. It's just so well thought out layered with incredible attention to detail.

same here. i don't know what to do next. i always get sidetracked so fast.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hopefully someone creates a Master Chief mod for this game once the REDkit is released.

Steel weapon: Gravity Hammer
Silver weapon: Plasma Sword
Ranged weapon: Assault Rifle

Do work MC.

Tried to get an haircut, christ all of them make Geralt look like a totally different person, it just feels so wrong whichever one you take. In the end just settled on getting a goatee.

Apt101

I used to feel bad about how Geralt speaks to Roach. Then, after just mounting him, I was squaring up ready to take on a group of renegades when the damned horse slapped me in the back of the head with his tail - did decent damage!

Fuck that horse.

Edit: and being a good guy seems to backfire as often as it helps in this world. I could see myself sinking 200 hours into this game.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Dang, cat school going long sleeve just in time for the mountains. Love it.

Harborside.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Tried to get an haircut, christ all of them make Geralt look like a totally different person, it just feels so wrong whichever one you take. In the end just settled on getting a goatee.

I went with the shaved on the sides and tied into a ponytail look. With the beard grown out of course. Makes Geralt look pretty mean.

Level 28 and have a the full set of Superior Feline armor and weapons. Also equipped red mutagens so I have +48% Attack. I'm destroyed everything in my path. Just a one man wrecking crew.

Gonna level up to 31 so I can get the master feline armor. Gonna take me another 4 hours to find everything. :p

zkorejo

I kept going back and forth on that one.
Wound up killing it at the last second. Even started the ritual to free it but destroyed it before finishing. He seemed sketchy. Didn't want to risk making things worse. What happens if you free it?
The tree saves the orphans. Crones punish Anna because the orphans were gone and they couldn't eat them. They turn her into a water hag. Geralt tries to lift the curse with the help of johnny (and suggest him to leave the swamp as crones are hunting him for trying to help anna). Geralt lifts the curse, but its a trick and only works for a bit of a time. Crones made sure that if the curse is lifted then anna must die.

Anna says final words to tamara and dies. Baron hangs himself at the crow's perch. But the tree keeps its promise and saves the orphans and leave them at the school in oxenfurt or novigrad. There is a note for new admissions of students and it lists all their names.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The tree saves the orphans. Crones punish Anna because the orphans were gone and they couldn't eat them. They turn her into a water hag. Geralt tries to lift the curse with the help of johnny (and suggest him to leave the swamp as crones are hunting him for trying to help anna). Geralt lifts the curse, but its a trick and only works for a bit of a time. Crones made sure that if the curse is lifted then anna must die.

Anna says final words to tamara and dies. Baron hangs himself at the crow's perch. But the tree keeps its promise and saves the orphans and leave them at the school in oxenfurt or novigrad. There is a note for new admissions of students and it lists all their names.
Welp

Grisby

Crookback monster designs were freaking lovely. The little scenes with Johnny too were really well done.

And this is shaping up to be a contender for OST of the year. The pieces often fit the scenes nicely.

Really wish I could have (ladie of wood/whisper oak spoilers0
killed those witches though. I made the wrong choice and the kids got ate up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I believe everyone in that nearby town also dies if the tree spirit is freed.

First mod I want is one that locks beard growth. The short trimmed look is my favorite but it grows back so fast...

Yeah, I love the default short trimmed full beard, but it always grow over time.
I hope there's a mod to stop the growing beard.

I'm 35 hours in and haven't even stepped into Novigrad yet...anybody else playing as slowly as me?

I haven't even stepped into the area below Novigrad. Oxenfurt is my main town so far.
Been playing since day 1 and I'm at level 10 right now.

Eyothrie

I haven't been following this thread at all.. Blindly picked up this game on Thursday. I came in here just to post how much fun I'm having with it. I went in with no expectations and am just blown away. Combat could be a bit better, but it works well enough. Everything else is just amazing

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm enjoying my time.
About to complete Act 1
I'm not focusing on Alchemy as much as I did in previous titles. I'm doing well by casting
the shield
Some of the lengthy story missions pay off in the end, but sometimes it's like a goose chase getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom