• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

The alchemy tree's "Raises toxicity by how many level 1 recipes you have" is an awesome perk, especially at just 1 point. Right now I have 168 toxicity so I get to run around with a decoction all the time and now have to worry about going over when I need a swig of thunderbolt or swallow. The one that restores health on hit is especially useful.

Interesting don't use Decoctions often mainly Potions and Oils but now that im looking at it Alchemy might actually be really good, having a Dedoction on whenever you want and able to chug down other potions, might reconsider my spec. Can you spec so much in the alchemy tree you can have 2 Dedoctions on at the same time?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Another playtime bug that I'm now pretty confident about: If you're playing as the (real-life) clock strikes midnight, the playtime counter jumps ahead 8 hours. Totally weird, but I've seen it happen multiple times now, always right after midnight. Luckily I've caught it in time every time, so I've just had to go back to a save made right before midnight to rectify it.

Can't believe they screwed this up so hard. This, counting suspended time as playtime, etc. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but a bummer for anyone who'd like an accurate record of how long they've been playing.

So I installed Vivek's SweetFX / Reshade and have everything set to Ultra on PC. I've got to say with this set up, its damn close to the original trailers and look of the game. Incredible really, if you are on PC you can get the level of detail / look or DAMN close to what was originally shown

17448521953_f76b2bd6f2_h.jpg

Is 'On Death's Bed' the only side mission in
White Orchard
that you are required to finish before progressing the story to
Vizima
?

Dresden

The alchemy tree's "Raises toxicity by how many level 1 recipes you have" is an awesome perk, especially at just 1 point. Right now I have 168 toxicity so I get to run around with a decoction all the time and not have to worry about going over when I need a swig of thunderbolt or swallow. The one that restores health on hit is especially useful.

The oil perks are pretty good. Permanent oil buffs - when superior oils boost damage by 50% - can get pretty absurd with the right build.

And it's kinda impossible to die with all the healing you have.

Aeana

Welll.....

Did Triss actually stay after the boat left? If so, you're fucked with Yen, yes. If you told her to stay but she didn't, Yen should still be available.

There is a lot of conflicting information about this around the internet. Lots of people say
you have to actually choose "I love you" to lock in with Triss
but others say that
if you get the lighthouse scene, you're locked in regardless of what you chose
. I don't know what's really true.

Salsa

So I installed Vivek's SweetFX / Reshade and have everything set to Ultra on PC. I've got to say with this set up, its damn close to the original trailers and look of the game. Incredible really, if you are on PC you can get the level of detail / look or DAMN close to what was originally shown

downsampled screenshot tho

I like the look of the game now and wouldnt really touch the colors, but what bums me out comparing it to early shown stuff is just the jaggies and bad AA implementation

Welp, time to replay 6hours,
kinda bad CDPR didn't include an option for her to just stay at Kaer Morhen "as friends" or something.

IIRC that is a thing even if
you don't romance her.

There is a lot of conflicting information about this around the internet. Lots of people say
but others say that
Love can be tricky like that.

I'm stuck on the family matters quest plz help.
I spoke with tamara, gave her the doll then came back to the baron and told him about it, now I'm supposed to find Ana and the game is telling me to investigate all remaining leads in velen. But there is no quest marker on my map so I don't know where to go.

Djistika
or however it's spelled makes me laugh a lot. His biting sacarsm resonates with me and I love having Geralt respond right back with sarcasm. Getting him irritated is amazing. God, the characters on this game.

Corpekata

Banned
Interesting don't use Decoctions often mainly Potions and Oils but now that im looking at it Alchemy might actually be really good, having a Dedoction on whenever you want and able to chug down other potions, might reconsider my spec. Can you spec so much in the alchemy tree you can have 2 Dedoctions on at the same time?

Well for me right now most decoctions are like 80 toxicity so even now I could technically use 2 at a time. I haven't tried it yet though (only have a couple really useful ones and I'd want a barrier so I can use normal potions). Putting more points into the skill gives you toxicity for level 2 and 3 recipes so it's likely fairly easy to get to 200 toxicity.

Skilletor

This first Dungeon is wrecking my shit. First miniboss owned my sword, now the Dungeon boss is taking almost no damage. I don't want to leave the Dungeon and come back, it i might have to.

nib95

Banned

This is making me so jealous. Why oh why CDP could you not have just stuck with this colour palette for the game. The cartoon like saturation just does not fit with the world, characters, story, general gritty ethos and level of maturity in the game.

downsampled screenshot tho

I like the look of the game now and wouldnt really touch the colors, but what bums me out comparing it to early shown stuff is just the jaggies and bad AA implementation

It's downsampled so people wouldn't have to load the full 4k image. I can link to it if you would like

Maximo

Well for me right now most decoctions are like 80 toxicity so even now I could technically use 2 at a time. I haven't tried it yet though (only have a couple really useful ones). Putting more points into the skill gives you toxicity for level 2 and 3 recipes so it's likely fairly easy to get to 200 toxicity.
Fuck and someone else said permanent Oils ? Oh man I seriously need to give alchemy another look been neglecting it for Power and really ignored it. Not sure if i want to respec to try it out or next play through by a mad Alchemy Brewer.

Yeul

I'm stuck on the family matters quest plz help.
I spoke with tamara, gave her the doll then came back to the baron and told him about it, now I'm supposed to find Ana and the game is telling me to investigate all remaining leads in velen. But there is no quest marker on my map so I don't know where to go.

The remaining leads are in reference to Ciri. I'm pretty sure this was the part where you have to go do other main quest then come back to that one. I think it's Ladies of the Wood that you need to complete first.

I saw this asked a few times earlier in the thread without a definitive answer, but is there a reliable way to track time spent playing? I have the GOG install (without using Galaxy) and the only time stats I can see are on the character screen, which seem way off for whatever they're supposed to be tracking. Not right for actual time played and not right for in-game time passed either @_@.

Well for me right now most decoctions are like 80 toxicity so even now I could technically use 2 at a time. I haven't tried it yet though (only have a couple really useful ones). Putting more points into the skill gives you toxicity for level 2 and 3 recipes so it's likely fairly easy to get to 200 toxicity.
i really want to try out the alchemy tree but i am afraid it would make the game too easy... already easy on death march, and i once chugged down a blizzard potion and cut down 4 enemy just constantly pressing fast attack. Never used it since.

So what exactly separates Decoctions from Potions?

They seem to function similarly, but they certainly can't be interchangeable.
I haven't seen or done much with Decoctions, wanna know more first.

Yeul

Well that would have been good to know, I thought
she'll be gone for good,
at least I did mostly sidequest after that so I'll probably skip some of those.

Yeah it's definitely not clear, I kinda took a risk on the response but knowing how finicky the romance stuff was, I was like welp I guess I won't stop you. But yeah, hindsight is 20/20 in this case I suppose.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
but others say that

IIRC the only way to make what you're mentioning is if a few specific things occur.

Triss needs a reason to stay. The kiss in the masquerade, and then specifically saying "I love you" when she's about to leave are what triggers her return, and the ensuing lighthouse scene.

I think the 'I love you' and the lighthouse scene are 'supposed' to be linked, but I chose Yen this time around, so I wouldn't necessarily know, lol.

IIRC, doesn't the lighthouse scene end with Triss becoming Geralt's girlfriend, regardless?

Decoctions are more versatile, primarily in-battle effects (such as getting more damage until you get hit, or permanently increasing vitality from every kill until the potion wears off), but have more toxicity associated with them. There are also out-of-battle ones that give you unlimited stamina, for example.

Nordicus

So what exactly separates Decoctions from Potions?

They seem to function similarly, but they certainly can't be interchangeable.
Much higher toxicity, 30 minute duration, you can only drink it once rather than 3 times, can not be upgraded as far as I know, and the toxicity last for the whole duration.

Decoctions are basically super potions, closer to the kind of stuff you could drink in Witcher 1

Skelter

Banned
This is making me so jealous. Why oh why CDP could you not have just stuck with this colour palette for the game. The cartoon like saturation just does not fit with the world, characters, story, general gritty ethos and level of maturity in the game.

The hell are you talking about?

The remaining leads are in reference to Ciri. I'm pretty sure this was the part where you have to go do other main quest then come back to that one. I think it's Ladies of the Wood that you need to complete first.

Thanks!
I wish the game made it a bit more clear that to continue the barons quest you need to move onto the ladies of the wood quest.

Aeana

IIRC the only way to make what you're mentioning is if a few specific things occur.

Triss needs a reason to stay. The kiss in the masquerade, and then specifically saying "I love you" when she's about to leave are what triggers her return, and the ensuing lighthouse scene.

I think the 'I love you' and the lighthouse scene are 'supposed' to be linked, but I chose Yen this time around, so I wouldn't necessarily know, lol.

IIRC, doesn't the lighthouse scene end with Triss becoming Geralt's girlfriend, regardless?

Decoctions are more versatile, primarily in-battle effects (such as getting more damage until you get hit, or permanently increasing vitality from every kill until the potion wears off), but have more toxicity associated with them. There are also out-of-battle ones that give you unlimited stamina, for example.

I tested this on my save.
The kiss followed by ANY of the three "stay" options makes the lighthouse scene trigger. "I love you," "let's try again" and "go, I'll miss you" ALL make the lighthouse scene trigger if you kissed her. At least on my save.

Salsa

I must be cray then but I really love the colorful look. hated how the witcher 2 looked.

what I love about the apparently 'kiddie saturation' is how different the game can look from one moment to the next. keeps it fresh

2bbutb.jpg

1g7ufh.png

3okusi.jpg

my only complaint is really just the AA, and that from a technical standpoint

Beyond the actual abilities of them, they last for 30 mins

So, special, stronger effects. Higher toxicity.
Function more like potions in prior games, stuff that you'd buff yourself with before going into a big fight right?

Do they refill themselves as well?

Thanks everyone.

aliengmr

All I can say is BioWare should be taking notes on how to wrap up a trilogy. Witcher 3 is how it is done.

CDPR hit it out of the park with this one. There was clearly a lot of effort put into story and quests. I'm actually amazed they got it done at all. My speed run playthrough clocked 80 hours. I missed quite a bit too.

I tested this on my save.
The kiss followed by ANY of the three "stay" options makes the lighthouse scene trigger. "I love you," "let's try again" and "go, I'll miss you" ALL make the lighthouse scene trigger if you kissed her. At least on my save.

This game is damm crazy (in a good way), the amount of branches some quest have and how they affect each other,
I kissed her and then choose "go, I'll miss" you but she did go in my save.

Jamaro85

Need some help with the Devil by the Well contract from very early on...

I'm stuck in the
cave. I dove in the well, got the bracelet, and can't find a way out. I've been swimming around pressing every button for the last ten minutes.

Edit: Game was glitched and I couldn't climb anything. Reloaded and it's fine now.

UberLevi

Whoa, I just found a W
hale
G
raveyard
in Skellige while exploring.
Place is littered with chunks of whale carcass and bone.
Wasn't expecting to find anything like that.

Nordicus

So, special, stronger effects. Higher toxicity.
Function more like potions in prior games, stuff that you'd buff yourself with before going into a big fight right?
Not necessarily just for big fights. Some are better for general use, or fighting trash.

Like Grave Hag Decoction, that in a fight, gives ever higher regen the more enemies you kill for the rest fo the fight. Have to get to like 5 kills before you start feeling the benefits.

Do they refill themselves as well?
Yup

Moaradin

I've been having a hard time getting into this game. I love everything about the game... except actually playing it. The combat is just boring me and it's a chore to move around. The controls just feel so unresponsive.

Need some help with the Devil by the Well contract from very early on...

I'm stuck in the
cave. I dove in the well, got the bracelet, and can't find a way out. I've been swimming around pressing every button for the last ten minutes.

I don't remember exactly that quest but usually the ledges you can grab have some "white paint" on it, also remember you have to press "jump" not "interact/run" to grab.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
All I can say is BioWare should be taking notes on how to wrap up a trilogy. Witcher 3 is how it is done.

CDPR hit it out of the park with this one. There was clearly a lot of effort put into story and quests. I'm actually amazed they got it done at all. My speed run playthrough clocked 80 hours. I missed quite a bit too.

It really is amazing how every quest feels like it's own separate little story with some actual meaning. Not just collect 10 wolf butts and comeback for money. I have my gripes with the game but this really has been the RPG I've been waiting for for so long. Huge lands to explore, actual rewards for exploring, meaningful sidequests, challenging combat, brilliant music, it's all amazing. Just wish they fine tuned character movement a bit and it would be perfect.

I'm at 40 hours now and haven't even started the Novigrad questline though I did wrap up the baron stuff. I'm having way too much fun exploring the world, finding treasures and the scary ass monsters that guard them.

Jamaro85

I don't remember exactly that quest but usually the ledges you can grab have some "white paint" on it, also remember you have to press "jump" not "interact/run" to grab.

Grief my game was glitched. I was hitting circle on every ledge and nothing was happening, but its fine after reloading. I see what you mean with the white paint, thanks for pointing that out.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Finished the game, total game time: 79 hours.

I'm impressed how long this took since i did a few sidequests and only a little exploring, now for my second playthrough i will calmly explore everything the game has to offer

ENDING SPOILERS

Ciri became a witcher
Nilfgaard won the war
Geralt went to live with Triss in Kovir

Kinda disappointed characters like Yennifer and Avallach didn't get a epilogue though.

Yeul

Finished the game, total game time: 79 hours.

I'm impressed how long this took since i did a few sidequests and only a little exploring, now for my second playthrough i will calmly explore everything the game has to offer

ENDING SPOILERS

Ciri became a witcher
Nilfgaard won the war
Geralt went to live with Triss in Kovir

Kinda disappointed characters like Yennifer and Avallach didn't get a epilogue though.

I had everything the same as you except I ended up with
Yennifer. I agree with you about Avallac'h though, he was one of my favorite characters in the entire game. Especially confronting him at Tor Gvalch'ca. I'm glad they didn't follow through with the obvious "oooooh he betrayed you" thing and he was actually trying to help/worthy of trust. Especially considering the fact that he was supposed to marry Lara Dorren you can see why he cares for Ciri. Hopefully if Ciri takes the stage in the next Witcher game, he makes a return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom