• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I hope Fallout 4 breaks the Streak of awful inventory management in wRPGs. Spent at least 20 minutes reorganizing my inventory.

Is there a way of organizing things or at least switch to a more detailed list on PS4? Seems so random.

There is no way in hell that I'll be able to go back and finish DA:I after playing this game.

I'm not sure I'll ever finish this game. It's endless! So many villages to ride into on Roach, with monster contracts to take on, beautiful environments to explore, and Gwent players to challenge. I've still not even explored 20% of Velen. Skellige awaits, and there's a whole new DLC area on the horizon.

When I finish, Cyberpunk will be out. Or The Elder Scrolls 6: Redguard =D

Man, I hope Fallout 4 breaks the Streak of awful inventory management in wRPGs. Spent at least 20 minutes reorganizing my inventory.

Is there a way of organizing things or at least switch to a more detailed list on PS4? Seems so random.

There's a sort item feature on kb/m control, but I can't find it on a gamepad. Weird.
I think this is something that they can fix in a patch, hopefully.

Daverid

In Wolf's Clothing was a bit shit:
the quest's presentation was confusing and seemed to come with assumed knowledge I didn't have, specifically that feeding the wolf his own flesh would remove the curse but kill him. What? He'd already made it clear that he'd chewed on his own flesh, and it turned to ash. I fed him rotting meet willingly, and it turned to ash. But feeding him himself willingly removes the curse, but kills him?
One of those times where I feel I missed something specific because it just didn't make any sense to me.

The wolf says that other food turns into ash, but when he had to bite his leg off it fucking hurt because his blood would burn him. So it's assumed that by being forced to eat himself, it would kill him. It's a little silly, but it makes enough relative sense, and there wasn't any other outside knowledge I gained.

Also there's sort of a "perfect" way to end the questline, but I'll let you save that one for another playthrough :)

Lingitiz

Finished it. Ending was really satisfying, liked it a lot. Imnediately diving into another run, I missed so much and wanna play around with the choices.

Overall I have to think more about the experience, but right now this is easily a top game or all time for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Not that I know of. Inventory is a bit of a mess, unfortunately. Wanna find that potion you don't have equipped? Have fun scrolling through tons of other unrelated stuff. Like 100 books. Which I refuse to throw away even if I've read them. I like keeping that stuff in games like this. Normally I would put them into storage after reading them, but oh no, this game doesn't have that! There should really be a storage box in every inn, can't believe they left that out.

There's a sort item feature on kb/m control, but I can't find it on a gamepad. Weird.
I think this is something that they can fix in a patch, hopefully.

I just want more tabs. Do books, food, potions, oils, bombs, really all need to be in the same group? Same deal with crafting ingredients. Tabs within tabs would be awesome. I guess that becomes too complex for a controller layout, but for a PC it would help so much.

aku:jiki

Not that I know of. Inventory is a bit of a mess, unfortunately. Wanna find that potion you don't have equipped? Have fun scrolling through tons of other unrelated stuff. Like 100 books. Which I refuse to throw away even if I've read them. I like keeping that stuff in games like this. Normally I would put them into storage after reading them, but oh no, this game doesn't have that! There should really be a storage box in every inn, can't believe they left that out.
Every open world RPG needs to have a player house with bookshelves, unique weapon racks for all the named relic weapons you find and a display for all quest items you've already used. It feels so wrong to be forced to sell legendary swords and armor and having your own little museum gives the player a great sense of progression.

Maximo

Triss and Yen
Bah currently doing the quest Matter of Life and Death
And man Triss is so much nicer then Yen Idk least I'm personally not into those kind of women, I can understand why Geralt likes her guess she's the type of women that suits his lifestyle and has alot of history with her. Not sure who to choos.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not - they use a temporal filter as well.
It has a better temporal stability than injecting SMAA/FXAA
I also think some people are still stuck on this incorrect assumption that FXAA is always bad, while SMAA is objectively superior. It doesn't work like that. Neither is *fantastic*, but the FXAA looks better in motion than SMAA here. Haven't done any screenshot comparisons, so SMAA *might* provide better general coverage, but if it does, it's probably by a very small margin cuz I couldn't immediately notice.

People also often inaccurately label FXAA as 'blurry as shit'. It's really not. It can be in certain worst-case instances, but in most, it's a very minor hit to sharpness that I'm sure most people wouldn't ever notice without a direct comparison involving staring at a texture very carefully to see the difference. And using Lumasharpen(or even the in-game sharpness setting with this game), you can more than make up for it.

I just want more tabs. Do books, food, potions, oils, bombs, really all need to be in the same group? Same deal with crafting ingredients. Tabs within tabs would be awesome. I guess that becomes too complex for a controller layout, but for a PC it would help so much.

So, in sort, we want Witcher 2 inventory, right?
264-1-1334705096.jpg
I knew it, the moment I saw Witcher 3 inventory, I knew it'll become a problem.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Every open world RPG needs to have a player house with bookshelves, unique weapon racks for all the named relic weapons you find and a display for all quest items you've already used. It feels so wrong to be forced to sell legendary swords and armor and having your own little museum gives the player a great sense of progression.

Absolutely, I love having a place of my own in games like this. Maybe it wouldn't make much sense for Geralt to own a house, but at least let the man rent a room somewhere.

Pretty much!

Majukun

spoiler regarding the quest where the old noble woman ask you to free her house from. monsters.

now that I think about it, no way I'm gonna be able to send Roche to kaer morhen (since it seems to be a thing recently) now that I have sent letho too.. no way those two are gonna live under same roof

BouncyFrag

Damn this game is good. My pride and self-respect took a hit when I fell to my death racing Ciri down to the training area for the first time.

On the first notice board there are quests that you can do for either side of the conflict. Will you loose reputation with one group by doing quests for the other?

Majukun

Damn this game is good. My pride and self-respect took a hit when I fell to my death racing Ciri down to the training area for the first time.

On the first notice board there are quests that you can do for either side of the conflict. Will you loose reputation with one group by doing quests for the other?
not that I'm aware off.. we are witchers, it's just business

FYI, you can limit or negate fall damage by pressing the jump/roll button as you land.

Acinixys

Jenny of the Woods is kicking my ass, her two hit combo shaves 75% of my health bar. :(

What level are you? I got that contract at level 5 and had to wait for level 8/9 to finish it

Shes extremely fast and tricky to deal with

I just wish it would gray out armor and weapons that are to high level for you to equip

Going into the crafting menu is a massive pain in the ass for me because I have easily 50 diagrams, and having to look though each one every time sucks

Alpende

So it seems like my horse can't open those big entrance gates you find in settlements? I have to get off my horse, walk trough, call my horse and be on my way. The horse just won't go trough a closed gate.

SinSilla

I thought that this game was going to be a constant orgy, but it seems i can't bang each and everyone of them right? I wanna make sweet love to that sexy elf i saved from her burning house on my way to oxenfurt. And the alchemy lady in white orchid, she got that latina backend.

Acinixys

Cuz it saves the armor, letting you put in a new upgrade.

I agree though, it's still something of a bum deal.

Because you want to put a better upgrade in that slot, I guess.

Because you wanna put another one on the same sword?

Remove 2% Igni rune and put in 5% Igni rune

ashot_jugg.gif

I thought that this game was going to be a constant orgy, but it seems i can't bang each and everyone of them right? I wanna make sweet love to that sexy elf i saved from her burning house on my way to oxenfurt. And the alchemy lady in white orchid, she got that latina backend.
Also that cute as hell freckled blond smith from Crows Perch

Level 8 here. Dropped it for now cause I kept getting done in in 10 seconds.

You have to spam Yarden and dodge constantly. If she hits you you will lose 1/2 your HP

phaze

What level are you? I got that contract at level 5 and had to wait for level 8/9 to finish it

Shes extremely fast and tricky to deal with

Managed to run into
----- Letho
as a recompense though.
That's what you get for killing Foltest !

Edit: Jeez sorry. But I mean, he was in the SoD and the go your way trailer. Didn't think it would count as spoiler.

Pooya

+100 saddlebag, 900+ coin? where do I get that kind of money? ;_;

also, what drops red mutagen? it's all green and blue...

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Managed to run into
Letho
as a recompense though.
That's what you get for killing Foltest !

And yet another character spoiler... Yeah, I had already gathered that this character would be showing up, but people, PLEASE! Gonna have to leave this thread soon if this keeps happening. Very afraid that someone is gonna post a MAJOR spoiler any moment now.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Huh weird. Just had a quest I failed way earlier unfail as I found the next part by accident while doing a monster contract. Now the old lady I have to talk to wont respond/trigger the cutscene though. Not sure how I failed it in the first place. Eh another glitch I guess.

DOWN

Banned
Who is doing everything vs just some side/only main things? I'm doing most stuff so far but I've been skipping treasure hunts.

benzy

+100 saddlebag, 900+ coin? where do I get that kind of money? ;_;

also, what drops red mutagen? it's all green and blue...

Seashell dismantle to black pearl sell glitch in novigrad. You can get 1000 coin in minutes.

Where did u find +100 saddle?

M3z_

Have 65 hours played of this game and am loving it. However there is one aspect that has bothered me.

As someone who has only played each of the games it's really unfortunate how the Triss/Yen stuff is presented. I have played two games with Triss by my side and especially in W2 they go out of there way to really drive in Triss as being very supportive partner. While Yen to someone who has only played the games is this ethereal character of bits and pieces of anecdotes and dreams. So it's really hard to see why someone who hasn't read the novels would feel like the game is giving them enough reason to feel like Yen is the right choice without feeling pressure from knowing story bits from the books that have not been emphasized in the games.

Too top that off there also is the whole severance of the relationship between Geralt and Triss between 2 and 3 that is given like no good explanation given how strong the relationship appears in W2.

It's weird as someone who has only played the games because I have found myself questioning motivations or circumstances in relation to the mainline characters and then going online to see if I missed some development only to find that explanations exist in the books but not the game. However the games a different from the books in many ways so it's hard to know what from the books applies and what doesn't. Just sort of a weird unfortunate fissure.

None of it is something that ruins the game by any means, just one of the things I think they could of handled better.

Acinixys

Who is doing everything vs just some side/only main things? I'm doing most stuff so far but I've been skipping treasure hunts.

Im doing everything

Sidequests till I hit a level wall - Grind main quest stuff to jump 3 or 4 levels - Back to side quest stuff

Im already 26 hours in and I can see myself going over 120 easily

End game question for people who have have finished the first three sections of the game
. About to sail into the fog for the Island of Mists quest.
Is this the end of the game?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I turned POIs off shortly after reaching Velen, so I just do what I organically come across in my travels and while exploring. Feels so much better than chasing question marks. I'll probably turn them on again once I'm done with the main story and want to finish everything else up (if I still feel like going on at that point), but for now this is working very well for me. I feel like I'm actually experiencing the world, not just checking things off a list.

I turned POIs off shortly after reaching Velen, so I just do what I organically come across in my travels and while exploring. Feels so much better than chasing question marks. I'll probably turn them on again once I'm done with the main story and want to finish everything else up (if I still feel like going on at that point), but for now this is working very well for me. I feel like I'm actually experiencing the world, not just checking things off a list.

Does that get rid of the quest markers on the mini map, too? I want the mini map for spacial awareness reasons, but don't need anything but roads and lootable bodies to show up. I want to be able to look at quest areas on the world map, not have the mini map point to them.

I tried playing without the mini map and active Quest marker but the UI is just too bad to constantly have to open all the time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I already have it on off. Turned that off when I first started. :lol

Hoo-doo

Banned
Explore the world, do contracts, squash bandits and sell their swords. You're going to jump from "Will suck cock for weapon repairs" to "make it rain" in no time.

Who's paying top dollar for swords in Velen? Most blacksmiths just give me like 8-9 crowns for them.

While I agree from a gameplay standpoint, it would not fit into the Witcher lifestyle narrative if Gerald could store his stuff in every Inn. Since humans hate "freaks" I guess his stuff would be stolen all the time, or Innkeepers would refuse to offer that service to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom