• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn it...
free the tree spirit thing or not...

Unsure-Larry-David.gif
I went back and forth on this one so much. The game knows you will too. It let me back out at the last second.

I'm really enjoying the combat. I'll be enjoying it even more once I unlock more skills, as I really want to try out my planned build. (Playing on DM difficulty)

I'm only level 4 right now, and just started with the 2nd area of the game.

How do you find Geralt's being animation locked on attacks? I like the feel here a lot, but remember that being a major issue for you w/ the FF XV Duscae demo.

One thing I prefer so far about W3 in that regard is that, although once you commit to a sword strike you're stuck, one button is one strike, so you know how long it's going to be until you can dodge/parry again. In Duscae it was much less clear how the length of attacks and attack strings mapped to the button press....

Zakalwe

Banned
Sure you can. Although most criticism I have seen so far is 'it is not Bloodborne so it's shit'.

Lock on works great for single enemy encounters, don't use it for multiple enemies, simple as that. Inefficient quick healing? I take it you haven't found White Raffard's Decoction yet. Cumbersome dodging mechanics? Dodging works great here, very fluid. Also playing at death march.

Lock on works perfectly for groups. Lock to the current target then flick between them.

Take your time and don't rush, there's a certain pace you need to fall into. Once you sync with it targeting in group encounters works perfectly.

void666

Banned
I started enjoying the combat when i switched to hard (was at normal before).
Being forced to make good use of everything i have makes the combat shine.

Using quen non stop and spamming fast attack is boring. Don't do it.

tuxfool

Banned
If Batman/SoM's combat is Mario Kart and Bloodborne's combat is Project Gotham Racing, The Witcher 3's is Gran Turismo.

I really like the combat system, but let's not overstate things. That seems a specious comparison. They're going for different things.

I do recall people trashing combat in DeS when it was first released.

Okay, I'm level 2, I have a bout 6 skill points, I'm on the second highest difficulty:

Any suggestions on what to use my skill points on? I haven't used a single one yet and I can't tell what would remotely be valuable...

Also, I'm guessing no, but is there going to be a respec option? Or alternatively, can you eventually buy everything?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I really love the combat. It's satisfying to get into a good flow. I have three major issues with it, two of which may or may not be fixed. Not sure the third one is going anywhere.

1) Camera, man. Really no telling what you'll be looking at, especially in enclosed spaces. Locking on helps, but that's usually only a realistic option in one-on-one fights.

2) Getting stuck on the environment. Trying to bob and weave and finding yourself glued to a stool can get you killed. Particularly troubling indoors, where, chances are, you can't see the damned stool anyway (see item #1)

3) No true "free running." Even when you're not locked onto someone, it can be hard to turn and run where you want to run because you are "soft locked" on something. Hard to get to the archer 50 yards away when you can't stop cautiously backing away from some silly scrub.

Really, though, these are points of improvement, I've mostly had a blast in combat. Occasionally, CDPR doubles down on these weaknesses (there's one fistfight in a tiny room. The enemies are very easy, but you have to fight them while staring at the wall). I don't see how they couldn't have known such encounters would be shit, but perhaps they released with the plan to patch quickly.

When everything works (and it almost always does), I have a really good time with it. Killing some huge thing without a scratch feels so damned good. These complaints (except item #3) don't actually have anything to do with the combat systems specifically.

Zakalwe

Banned
I started enjoying the combat when i switched to hard (was at normal before).
Being forced to make good use of everything i have makes the combat shine.

Using quen non stop and spamming fast attack is boring. Don't do it.

I've only played in B&BB so I can't comment on lower difficulty, but if you're not using all signs and all your items regularly then you're not getting the most out of combat.

I can imagine some people are just rolling and spamming quick attack and using one or two signs at the most over and over and ignoring the nuances of the double tiered evade system and the bestiary and preparing for each encounter...

Of course they're going to dislike combat.

Exentryk

How do you find Geralt's being animation locked on attacks? I like the feel here a lot, but remember that being a major issue for you w/ the FF XV Duscae demo.

One thing I prefer so far about W3 in that regard is that, although once you commit to a sword strike you're stuck, one button is one strike, so you know how long it's going to be until you can dodge/parry again. In Duscae it was much less clear how the length of attacks and attack strings mapped to the button press....

Geralt's animation can be cancelled with the short dodges. But animation cancelling isn't really an issue here because the enemies telegraph their attacks, are usually slow moving, and aren't very high in number. FFXV is just a mess because it's the exact opposite there. XV has added animation cancelling now tho, so it should work out.

Kama_1082

Banned
Okay, I'm level 2, I have a bout 6 skill points, I'm on the second highest difficulty:

Any suggestions on what to use my skill points on? I haven't used a single one yet and I can't tell what would remotely be valuable...

Also, I'm guessing no, but is there going to be a respec option? Or alternatively, can you eventually buy everything?
I used my first on on the 500HP skill and next one on fast attack

Same here. It has a wonderful rhythm to it as long as you take your time, quick-step and dodge. The animations look beautiful as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Souls series, but I am kind of getting sick of all the comparisons. This is not a Souls game and I don't want it to play like one. They have made great strides since TW2 and it has it's own feel to it that I absolutely love now.

Exactly this.
The combat has a really good flow once you put a bit of practice in.
It's quite easy to cut through groups in a bloody ballet once you master dodge and counter and then mixing in signs and abilities etc makes for some really cool fights.

It's not Bloodborne and its not meant to be Bloodborne. Are attention spans just getting shorter or does every game have to be like the last really popular one or it gets called 'shit' and 'terrible'?

erawsd

I really love the combat. It's satisfying to get into a good flow. I have three major issues with it, two of which may or may not be fixed. Not sure the third one is going anywhere.

1) Camera, man. Really no telling what you'll be looking at, especially in enclosed spaces. Locking on helps, but that's usually only a realistic option in one-on-one fights.

2) Getting stuck on the environment. Trying to bob and weave and finding yourself glued to a stool can get you killed. Particularly troubling indoors, where, chances are, you can't see the damned stool anyway (see item #1)

3) No true "free running." Even when you're not locked onto someone, it can be hard to turn and run where you want to run because you are "soft locked" on something. Hard to get to the archer 50 yards away when you can't stop cautiously backing away from some silly scrub.

Really, though, these are points of improvement, I've mostly had a blast in combat. Occasionally, CDPR doubles down on these weaknesses (there's one fistfight in a tiny room. The enemies are very easy, but you have to fight them while staring at the wall). I don't see how they couldn't have known such encounters would be shit, but perhaps they released with the plan to patch quickly.

When everything works (and it almost always does), I have a really good time with it. Killing some huge thing without a scratch feels so damned good. These complaints (except item #3) don't actually have anything to do with the combat systems specifically.

If you hold the roll button you can free run. It drains stamina though.

Forkball

You can buy a respec potion in Novigrad. Just put points in what you want to, but I'd definitely invest in fast attack no matter what.

Has anyone been to Velegrad Manor or whatever it's called? That place blew my mind.

I have been choosing to run to quests (off main roads, through the woods!) to give me a better chance to stumble upon things and find monster nets. Found a cave and after clearing it out found the full Griffon set which I promptly created. This game.... so good.

Daingurse

Fuck me, about 20 hours in and this game is everything I wanted and more. Only thing that concerns me is the sheer breadth of content available, it's absolutely overwhelming. Unlike with Dragon Age Inquisition though, I actually feel compelled to do this side content. This game is going to consume me for months, I can already tell.

Also, the game is fucking gorgeous on PC. Best looking open-world game I've played overall. I'm so fucking happy with this title, can't remember a game that lived up to my hype like this aside from Sonic Generations lol. Been waiting for this game since I beat Witcher 2 in 2011, and the wait has been well worth it.

I'm about to make a really bold statement. But I truly believe it.

I think Witcher 3 is the greatest RPG ever made. Dead serious

Don't think I'm far enough yet to say this, but I won't be surprised If I end up with this opinion. I've played Planescape, and the fact that I can even begin to compare W3 to that is fucking impressive.

Exentryk

Try out some skills ideas here - http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/skill-calculator/

Also, adding mutagens to slots will give you a 40% boost if there are 3 skills of the same color in one group. Go for abilities that complement your play-style.

And yes, you can respec later if you mess up.

I wouldn't disagree. It definitely is for me. My biggest complaint is that character interactions with party members is limited to quests most of the time. So if you wanna see one character you gotta wait till a quest appears. But that's a minor grip.

I went back and forth on this one so much. The game knows you will too. It let me back out at the last second.

Same here.
Listened to what it needed, decided I didn't want to do it after all... And just went Igni on its ass. Still hope I get to attack the Crones later on, though.

tuxfool

Banned
Are we not allowed to compare and critize battle systems ? All I'm doing is explaining my dislike of the battle system compared to other action RPGs. And I feel that its not enjoyable for me because its not refined because of a broken lock on system, inefficient quick healing, cumbersome dodging mechanics.

All those things you listed can be considered strengths. Also I think it is great that the game has its own take on combat instead of stealing 1:1 from other games. Too many games attempt Batman combat, ass combat and souls combat.

You don't like these things but you can't go on and say that they're broken.

meep!

Neo Member
Suddenly when I was looting a corpse the loot window became much larger than it been before, as if I was playing on a much smaller resolution, no other part of the UI did this though. Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? I tried changing UI size back and forth, changing resolution, restarting the game etc

Kama_1082

Banned
Exactly this.
The combat has a really good flow once you put a bit of practice in.
It's quite easy to cut through groups in a bloody ballet once you master dodge and counter and then mixing in signs and abilities etc makes for some really cool fights.

It's not Bloodborne and its not meant to be Bloodborne. Are attention spans just getting shorter or does every game have to be like the last really popular one or it gets called 'shit' and 'terrible'?
Or it could be the rose colored glasses for the newest, highly praised game. Who knows!?

woen

God who designed these fucking awful underwater controls ?? Who thought it was a good idea to implement hostility underwater WITH these awful controls ? Did they even test them ? It's a nightmare everytime. Game's a fucking beta.

Nbz

Just about cleared out every question mark around the Midcopse area of the map and got to level 7 in the process! Levelling may be slow outside of quests, but you can totally get a good amount of exp just by wandering around doing those question marks.

Also you get a ton of loot to sell, I'm now over 1000 crowns having just sold all the useless weapons I didn't need.

Now I'm wondering whether to go after Keira's sidequests or to just continue to Family Matters

Zakalwe

Banned
God who designed these fucking awful underwater controls ?? Who thought it was a good idea to implement hostility underwater WITH these awful controls ? Did they even test them ? It's a nightmare everytime. Game's a fucking beta.

Dial back the hyperbole, dude.

Forkball

Suddenly when I was looting a corpse the loot window became much larger than it been before, as if I was playing on a much smaller resolution, no other part of the UI did this though. Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? I tried changing UI size back and forth, changing resolution, restarting the game etc
It's part of the new patch. ENJOY

They need to patch in a fucking bookshelf. I'm like a traveling Barnes and Nobles.

Exentryk

That's a tweak in 1.04 patch. To make the loot more readable. About time too.

Majukun

it's part of the last patch i think,the 1.04...

I do not understand the Bloodborne combat comparison. It makes no sense. The games are fundamentally different, and honestly Bloodborne type combat in a game like this just wouldn't fit at all.

I loved the shit out of Bloodborne but thank god Witcher 3 doesn't play like that game

Majukun

underwater just use the crossbow and oneshot everything
but it's true that underwater movement are more than cluncky...also sometimes geralt doesn't even respond to the emerge button for some reason.

I'm really enjoying this game, just done the tower of mice quest, what a story, even my missus put down her book to watch what was happening, I'm getting to grips with the combat and once you figure it out its pretty decent it's about dodging and timing from what I can gather, just about to jump back in!

ironcreed

Banned

Tracking bolts and crossbow are your friend underwater. As for swimming, it's pretty simple. Hold square alone to dive (DS4 controls), press forward and X to swim, hold O alone to ascend. I am having no issues swimming at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I do not understand the Bloodborne combat comparison. It makes no sense. The games are fundamentally different, and honestly Bloodborne type combat in a game like this just wouldn't fit at all.

I loved the shit out of Bloodborne but thank god Witcher 3 doesn't play like that game
My feelings exactly.

Seeing this game constantly pitted against Bloodborne and DAI is exhausting. We got 3 fantastic RPGs over the course of six months. Let's be excited about that.

tuxfool

Banned

Totally. People just have to understand that this isn't their area of expertise. They don't have n versions of open world games under their belt. They make RPGs, not pure action games. As a first try it certainly is good enough.

Chariot

How do you start winning in Gwent?

I just can't win with my shit cards.
Buy cards from Tavern Keeps and Merchants when available, play merchants and blacksmiths, visit Gwent OT.
My feelings exactly.

Seeing this game constantly pitted against Bloodborne and DAI is exhausting. We got 3 fantastic RPGs over the course of six months. Let's be excited about that.
There shalt be no more than one King that rules the RPG lands.

The size and depth of this game is incredible.

Once I got past the initially learning curve I have been sucked in.

One of the best games I've ever played, and makes the Dark Souls series pale in comparison.

SomTervo

I really like the combat system, but let's not overstate things. That seems a specious comparison. They're going for different things.

I do recall people trashing combat in DeS when it was first released.

You might be misunderstanding my comment? I'm not saying any system is better or worse. I'm a giant fan of all three of these series.

My analogy (which you're free to pick apart) was that Batman/Mordor's combat is a light, forgiving system (Mario Kart), Bloodborne's is deep and difficult, but still fundamentally an arcade system (PGR), and The Witcher 3 is almost going for full blown simulation (Gran Turismo). All are great, but they're going for different levels of depth.

Like, in TW3, you can't even heal quickly – Geralt's body has to metabolise healing fluids so that his cells regenerate quicker. That's a ridiculous commitment to realism in a supernatural fantasy game.

Are we not allowed to compare and critize battle systems ? All I'm doing is explaining my dislike of the battle system compared to other action RPGs. And I feel that its not enjoyable for me because its not refined because of a broken lock on system, inefficient quick healing, cumbersome dodging mechanics.

It would help you if explained what you dislike in more detail - you only scratch the surface here and you haven't explained in any other posts. Give some more analysis.

To each his own, of course, though. Sounds like it might just really not be for you. My analogy above is that this is more of a simulation of Geralt and the world – like IRL it's slow, more heavy and strategic. Whereas BB etc has an arcade system, where we can do superfast feats of sword swinging, health regen, movement. To each his own of course. The fact that you find TW3's combat easy is really interesting in this argument. An easier difficulty might make fights pass by quicker for you, though.

Personally I prefer Witcher's combat to Blooborne =/ (Please don't hurt me)

I adore BB but I prefer TW3's too. I feel really immersed in the world when a fight starts, like the enemies have a place, I have all this stuff at the ready, a million things could happen. The fights pan out in very different ways, too, quite often. Swordfights spilling over different areas if I die a couple of times. It's really nice.

I like it. Keeps the camera centered on the enemy I'm trying to kill. It might be more trouble than it's worth if you're fighting a large group, but I often use it even then. Just have to keep switching targets as appropriate.

Cool. PC or console? Might be easier with KBWASD. On console I don't like having to take my thumb away from the 'strike' buttons to flick the right stick and change target.

ys45

It is one of the best game I played in recent years for sure.
I rarely play 30h in a single week with the same game.

I'd say it is the best open world game I played thought.
The next Elder Scrolls better be good after playing this :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The size and depth of this game is incredible.

Once I got past the initially learning curve I have been sucked in.

One of the best games I've ever played, and makes the Dark Souls series pale in comparison.
The game is so daunting at first but once you get out of White Orchard it's fucking fantastic. My complaints pretty much melted away after that.

Khasim

I just finished the main story on the same difficulty, and my advice to you would be: get upgraded Quen first, it will give you a bubble that heals you when you're hit. Just let the last enemy from a group you fight hit you a couple times and then kill him - bam, no need to use Swallow or food out of combat.

Now either go upgrade sword skills or magic. Axii upgrade from tier 1 will save you some money, because some quests require lvl 2 or 3 in order to charm people successfully,and often you have to bribe them instead. I think charming them also yields more XP, but don't quote me on that.

Don't upgrade alchemy until you get 20+ skill points, you can then try and respec, but I found the alchemy tree least useful and having the lowest damage output of the three. It is harder to die though given the massively increased health pool. Alchemy starts being useful when you get many recipes and skills.

Get the ability which allows you to cast signs with adrenaline points. It's a lifesaver,but watch out, because upgraded Quen requires stamina to work, so if you have 0 stamina and use an adrenaline point on the alternate Quen bubble it won't do anything.

Don't buy the skills from the sword tree that reduce dodge damage and use adrenaline to heal you if your hp drops to 0. They do not work a tall.

When you get one of the witcher sets, get the appropriate ability that gives you a bonus based on the type of armor you wear. Heavy or light armor for sword/alchemy and medium for magic.

Overall, focus on Swordsmanship or Magic. My endgame build is swordsmanship + upgraded Quen. Works wonders. The last skill from Swordsmanship which let's you cast a fully upgraded sign with a +125% power bonus is awesome. Aard wrecks people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom