• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to make a really bold statement. But I truly believe it.

I think Witcher 3 is the greatest RPG ever made. Dead serious

I think you might be right.
I've played and truly enjoyed many RPG's over the years but I haven't been this impressd or felt this excited about one since when Planescape: Torment came out.

I haven't finished W3 obviously but so far it really is right up there.

Nbz

Does anyone know whether enemies blocking your sword strikes reduces durability faster than getting a hit in on them?

I've been wondering whether I should be being so cavalier with my strikes when enemies are parrying me

j-wood

Is there any reason to pick up notices from the board that appear to be just notes? Are those basically there for atmosphere and immersion?

Majukun

Is there any reason to pick up notices from the board that appear to be just notes? Are those basically there for atmosphere and immersion?

they might also highlight some place of interest nearby..i haven't really figured out how most of them are discovered

I'm not saying the game is hard, I'm.saying the combat sucks. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

Honestly, I was having a hell of a time on the harder difficulty. I really don't like Witcher games for their difficulty I've discovered, when I put it on normal, then I get the most out of Witcher games and start enjoying them more. Maybe change it and see if it changes your thought?

KorrZ

I went back and forth on this one so much. The game knows you will too. It let me back out at the last second.

Yup. I did the same thing...went down the full path one way and then when it gave me the out at the last second I took it. It felt right considering I was questioning it so much internally.

Chariot

Yes.

And you also can sell them for one crown. But yes, atmosphere and immersion and to be able to take it out any time and chuckle.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yup. I did the same thing...went down the full path one way and then when it gave me the out at the last second I took it. It felt right considering I was questioning it so much internally.
Same here. It basically felt like that specific choice was made for me to properly role play it.

tuxfool

Banned
You might be misunderstanding my comment? I'm not saying any system is better or worse. I'm a giant fan of all three of these series.

My analogy (which you're free to pick apart) was that Batman/Mordor's combat is a light, forgiving system (Mario Kart), Bloodborne's is deep and difficult, but still fundamentally an arcade system (PGR), and The Witcher 3 is almost going for full blown simulation (Gran Turismo). All are great, but they're going for different levels of depth.

Ah yes. I see the a analogy you're going for. Yeah it makes some sense.

Duffman

I do not understand the Bloodborne combat comparison. It makes no sense. The games are fundamentally different, and honestly Bloodborne type combat in a game like this just wouldn't fit at all.

I loved the shit out of Bloodborne but thank god Witcher 3 doesn't play like that game

This. I absolutely loved Bloodborne and especially its combat but I'm more than glad Witcher does its own thing. People who want Dark Souls/BB combat implemented on every goddamn new game are getting very tiresome.

Mothman91

Anyone know if the witcher gear sets are all the same level when master crafted?? I'm sticking with the Griffin and have the enhanced version of it. I noticed that you don't get to wear the base version of the Ursine set until mid level 15-20(?). Was curious seeing my enhanced version is the same level requirements almost as the base Ursine set.

JeffG

I can see why this got delayed.

A lot of effort went into the side quests/NPC character interactions. Plus the detailed models of the cities and villages.

This. I absolutely loved Bloodborne and especially its combat but I'm more than glad Witcher does its own thing. People who want Dark Souls/BB combat implemented on every goddamn new game are getting very tiresome.

Exactly. Bloodborne's combat was god tier but not every game needs to just play exactly the same. It would be a bummer if this worked the same, i love that its combat has its own distinct feel

I'm about to make a really bold statement. But I truly believe it.

I think Witcher 3 is the greatest RPG ever made. Dead serious
I think it deserves being in that conversation. I really want to try Pillars of Eternity but as of right now, Witcher 3 is just blowing my mind with what they've delivered to us.

Nordicus

The combat is hardly perfect but in my opinion it has more to do with enemy design than anything.

A lot of creatures attack instantly or with a really unnoticeable telegraph, like say endrega workers or any unarmed variant of wraith (the ones with swords are actually fun though).

Then there are the attacks that are too big to dodge with single regular dodges because of either movement or sheer arm length as they swipe, but are quick enough to almost put you in disadvantage if you decide to roll away. Drowners' moveset is loaded with these.

Then there are the monsters' whose size and frequency of stagger-breaking attacks mean that you're asking to get slammed in the face if you think about hitting them twice in a row, like all draconids I've encountered so far.

You can always take it slow play safe, but the monsters are too aggressive in groups, I can't count all the times when drowners basically leapfrogged off each other to keep me in a chain of dodges and rolls and did not leave me an opening until I had jumped out of their territory and they run back to their patrol spot.

I enjoy fighting wolves, nekkers, golems, ghouls, bears, normal wraiths, harpies, etc. Things that have weaknesses in their combat styles to exploit.

dex3108

Did you know that if you
spare merchant
from Precious Cargo quest you can
find him later
in WO?

I love this small details :D

Mechazawa

I just got to
Skellige
and unless there's a dramatic shift in Yennifer's attitude, I don't really see why Geralt is simping so hard on her. Outside of dat body, she just seems really bossy and dour.

Whereas with Trish and Geralt, it was like, two big dumb idiots getting in some rowdy adventures and having a grand ol' time, on equal footing. And that's not even accounting for their relationship in two either.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Wow wasn't expecting that. Over the weekend I cleared all the ? in Velen to the east but just checking on the map now I'd say about another 10 have popped up.

Griffon and Feline gear.

O8tNj4M.jpg

HCHiMBj.jpg

Grady

Combat in this game is fun. On death march and starting to over level. Im on level nine and my story missions are still level 6. Its also easy to cheese enemies.
Kiera was kicking my ass until i stepped out of the gate and killed her with the crossbow. She just stood there motionless.

ExReey

Been playing for +10 hours, finally left the prologue area.

Enjoying this so, so much.
So far it's probably the best RPG I've played since Ultima VII.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm approaching this conclusion as well. This game is scary good

Yep. Normally it is easy to scoff at 'greatest game ever' comments, but this game actually makes a strong case for it. The bar is raised so high in so many areas that I can't help but feel the same way. It is honest to goodness one of the finest games I have ever played and will probably end up being my favorite when it's all said and done.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You can always take it slow play safe, but the monsters are too aggressive in groups, I can't count all the times when drowners basically leapfrogged off each other to keep me in a chain of dodges and rolls and did not leave me an opening until I had jumped out of their territory and they run back to their patrol spot.

I like the combat but I agree here. The tethering is a real bummer too, as despite these massive open spaces monsters refuse to chase or fight a few yards from their programmed spawn location. Too often exhilarating duels get ruined because enemies decide to go back to their little playground. Almost cheesy how easily you can remove one or two during that stage, and I kind of hate it.

Not as bothered by the aggression though, I like the dance of dodges while waiting for an opening, or creating one with magic/bombs.

Roussow

Wow wasn't expecting that. Over the weekend I cleared all the ? in Velen to the east but just checking on the map now I'd say about another 10 have popped up.

Griffon and Feline gear.

Question about that sort of gear : I've been doing the scavenger hunt quests unlocking the armor 'recipes/blueprints' along the way, but where I'm at now (Level 13) I've only found one Master Armour maker, Fergus, I'm doing the questline associated with asking him to make the unique armors, and I've retrieved the tools from Skellige and am up to the part where you have to attain Griffon acid, I'll keep specifics vague to avoid spoiling to much, but naturally I can't kill the (roughly) level 24 Griffon just yet, but when I do -- will making special armors like the Witcher Gear and the Griffon gear be easily made at Fergus' workshop? Is finishing that "Master Armors" quest and retrieving the blueprints all I'm to do?

rashbeep

Banned
I like the combat but I agree here. The tethering is a real bummer too, as despite these massive open spaces monsters refuse to chase or fight a few yards from their programmed spawn location. Too often exhilarating duels get ruined because enemies decide to go back to their little playground. Almost cheesy how easily you can remove one or two during that stage, and I kind of hate it.

Not as bothered by the aggression though, I like the dance of dodges while waiting for an opening, or creating one with magic/bombs.

Lol this has been an issue in the first two games as well.

gamma

Guys, I've never played any of the Witcher games. But Wild Hunt looks cool so I wanted to start by playing Witcher 1 & 2 since I have both of them on Steam (thanks random Steam sale). Are there any essential mods one should use or can you just go vanilla?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
fix for what? the crash at the beginning? that just happens once, it's okay afterwards, the minigame is super fun

Never crashed on me in the tutorial, but I've had Gwent crashes in velen a couple times on ps4. I save before each match now.

Pooya

I like how I can seamlessly leave quests whenever I want and continue some other quest or start new one then I can come back and pick up the earlier quest whenever I want just form where I was. No "leaving mission area" or getting locked into a tube until you're done so far. And some of these quests actually interweave together, pretty good work here.

dedhead54

There is a person in distress (aka man in a cage) on my map and when I kill the surrounding bandits, none of them drop the key. I searched around anyways but there is no key anywhere. Is this possibly glitched?

SomTervo

I do not understand the Bloodborne combat comparison. It makes no sense. The games are fundamentally different, and honestly Bloodborne type combat in a game like this just wouldn't fit at all.

I loved the shit out of Bloodborne but thank god Witcher 3 doesn't play like that game

As I said earlier in the thread, the Press O To Quick Dodge Out of the Way of Fast Enemy Attacks is 1:1 in this game and Bloodborne. Ecen the animation is quite similar and you have to do it all the time in both. BB skills actually helped me in TW3, and this wasnt obvious until I watched my GF play it and she had no idea how to dodge like in BB.

Aside from that, yes they're totally different. The fact that you quickdodge so much in both though makes this single similarity a pretty big overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom