• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

novigrad/dandelion sidequest spoilers

well, have a quest to go see dandelion, let's do this quick before going off to that island, probably just some "have a nice journey" sendoff

2h latter I'm chasing down some serial killer in novigrad and still never even steeped foot on the viking islands, I love this game

SilentFlyer

Is there anyway to imcrease the capacity (Saddle Bag) beyond 160? I bought Zerrikanian Saddle Bag, and that too seeems quite short in capacity kmow.

Furyous

I don't want to get rid of my books and letters. Damn you OCD.

Yeah, it would save me untold inventory space by doing so but I can't. At least give us the option to stash our stuff in Kaer Morhen CDPR.

I found another farming method for crowns. Kill Harpys over at the Harpys nest. Killing 15 harpies an hour should net you 300 crowns. Do this 10 times and you're rolling in money. Farming noon wraiths gives you emerald dust which sells for 571 crowns alone.

The castle near the Harpys nest contains a set of armor but I forgot which one.

NIN90

Witcher 2 had a mod that removed the weight for crafting items. There something like that for this game? I only see mods that completely trivialize the weight system by like giving Geralt 1000 weight limit or making items 10 times less heavy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope I don't end up missing a character. Wanting to see things through quickly for Triss lost me an option (Radovid quest spoilers):
acquiring Philippa's crystal you have the option to give it to Radovid, keep it for yourself, or give it to "another sorceress". Can't seem to give it to Yen so Triss is the only option and she's gone. I kept the crystal for myself, but if Philippa doesn't appear in the game I'll be pissed.

SomTervo

The combat is hardly perfect but in my opinion it has more to do with enemy design than anything.

A lot of creatures attack instantly or with a really unnoticeable telegraph, like say endrega workers or any unarmed variant of wraith (the ones with swords are actually fun though).

Then there are the attacks that are too big to dodge with single regular dodges because of either movement or sheer arm length as they swipe, but are quick enough to almost put you in disadvantage if you decide to roll away. Drowners' moveset is loaded with these.

Then there are the monsters' whose size and frequency of stagger-breaking attacks mean that you're asking to get slammed in the face if you think about hitting them twice in a row, like all draconids I've encountered so far.

You can always take it slow play safe, but the monsters are too aggressive in groups, I can't count all the times when drowners basically leapfrogged off each other to keep me in a chain of dodges and rolls and did not leave me an opening until I had jumped out of their territory and they run back to their patrol spot.

I enjoy fighting wolves, nekkers, golems, ghouls, bears, normal wraiths, harpies, etc. Things that have weaknesses in their combat styles to exploit.

I think this is a very good analysis. It's like CDPR tried to be a bit too smart with their enemy attack and movement design. Except for the small patrol areas which must be a balancing issue.

bbd23

292030_2015-05-25_000hgpix.png

this area <3

ironcreed

Banned
novigrad/dandelion sidequest spoilers

well, have a quest to go see dandelion, let's do this quick before going off to that island, probably just some "have a nice journey" sendoff

2h latter I'm chasing down some serial killer in novigrad and still never even steeped foot on the viking islands, I love this game

Ha, that is the same quest I am on.
Here I was thinking that he was going to have his new club set up with Priscilla and I was feeling all good about helping out. Then BAM, such a seemingly mundane quest turns into this riveting tale.

There is nothing else that comes close to how intricate and well crafted the side stories are here. Even the side characters like
the doctor
are just so well done. Can't wait to see the conclusion of this one later on tonight.

After playing BB for so long I kept on rolling away all the time. Wasnt really working out for me. Its all about that dodging man. Well dodging monsters and parrying the humans. I only roll back now when getting overwhelmed by multiple enemies. I wasn't a huge fan of the combat at first but now that I am getting the hang of it I'm lovin' it.

finalflame

As I said earlier in the thread, the Press O To Quick Dodge Out of the Way of Fast Enemy Attacks is 1:1 in this game and Bloodborne. Ecen the animation is quite similar and you have to do it all the time in both. BB skills actually helped me in TW3, and this wasnt obvious until I watched my GF play it and she had no idea how to dodge like in BB.

Aside from that, yes they're totally different. The fact that you quickdodge so much in both though makes this single similarity a pretty big overlap.

I totally agree with this. Once I started connecting the dodge from this game with the sidestep from Bloodborne, fighting enemies became pretty trivial, as long as you get their hit timing down.

What isn't the same is the tightness of the combat. Doesn't matter how many people try to shit on those who are trying to compare the combat to Bloodborne, the fact of the matter is the combat does not feel as tight or as precise as Bloodborne or the Souls games, but seems like it's trying to do something similar. It feels like it's in the same vein, but floaty. Heck, the fundamental mechanics (sidestep, dodge, strong/fast attack, parry/riposte) are almost the same. Just so happens TW3 is a much shittier implementation of very similar controls, even if it works to some degree, so it's vey hard not to draw that comparison.

Apt101

Damn, I thought I was almost done with Velen but quests just keep coming. Level 10 with a nice balance of offense and defense, +30% to attack power, and the best armor and weapons I can craft and use. I'm busting assholes wide open (cut three straight bandits in half, was glorious, and the last werewolf I fought didn't even land a blow before it went down). My need to do everything in open world games appears to be paying off.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
There is a person in distress (aka man in a cage) on my map and when I kill the surrounding bandits, none of them drop the key. I searched around anyways but there is no key anywhere. Is this possibly glitched?

I had that issue too. When I reloaded the save near the cage suddenly a bunch of 'deserters' appeared that weren't there before. Killing them dropped the key. 'Bandits' did not have the key, gotta try and get those deserters to spawn if they aren't there.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There was a huge discussion about this very topic c. 100 pages ago!

Basically, this isn't an arcadey action game. It's not Souls, it's not Batman: Arkham, it's not Ass Creed.

TW3 uses ingredients from these systems (instant block/counter and instant item use of B:A/AC/SoM, quick-step dodge from Bloodborne) but instead turns it into a 'simulation' action game rather than 'arcadey'. Geralts moves take precious seconds to set up (him to build momentum), dodging and blocking is the only quick movement, 60% of whether you'll win a fight or not is if you're using the right oils/potions/bombs/signs. Positioning and gear are often more important than skill.

And Signs are basically the game-winner. Quen all day long, Yrden or Axii fast/ethereal enemies, and check the Bestiary for enemies weaknesses'.

When it starts clicking, this game's combat is the shit.

If Batman/SoM's combat is Mario Kart and Bloodborne's combat is Project Gotham Racing, The Witcher 3's is Gran Turismo.

Excuse me while I vomit in my mouth a little.

At the very best, combat in TW3 is serviceable. It 'clicked' with me very quickly after starting the game but I can still objectively call it mediocre.

Your racing game analogy makes me want to scream, jesus christ. Have you even touched Bloodborne?
If Bloodborne is Project Gotham Racing, then TW3 is poorly-done GTAV race mission played with a MadCatz controller submerged in a tub of jelly.
How you come to Gran Turismo is completely beyond me.

I'm not saying TW3 should have the combat from Bloodborne or Batman, i'm glad they chose to do their own thing. But damn if it isn't inferior to both of these games and many others.

a little help with redania's most wanted,
if I let triss go there is no other option more than giving the crystal to radovid? not that I care a lot about philippa but I don't want radovid getting what he wants either.

ironcreed

Banned
Got to love the feeling of walking up on Viking long ships along the shore at sunset.

11350644_893794177351017_1832950250428592884_n.jpg

... and then eating a tasty chicken sandwich to celebrate the beauty.

Daffy Duck

Gwent

The inn keeper in white orchard, how many cards does she actually sell? I bought foltest off her as it's the only one she had. Didn't check back again but what's the chances I missed something good?

Yep. Normally it is easy to scoff at 'greatest game ever' comments, but this game actually makes a strong case for it. The bar is raised so high in so many areas that I can't help but feel the same way. It is honest to goodness one of the finest games I have ever played and will probably end up being my favorite when it's all said and done.

I'd go as far as to say it's the greatest video game ever made personally. Every little detail ties together somehow like some gigantic puzzle and it's amazing. Just yesterday I was exploring White Orchard again but doing all the quests on this run, I remembered the guy who had been
kicked out of town for sleeping with the emperor's son, Florian.
This detail surfaced again later when hunting the nightwraith, upon completing the quest the guy who paid me told me he recognized
the girls name, Claer and that the Herbalist knew her.
By this point the quest was long done and so were the rewards but I decided to head over and see the herbalist.

It turned out that the emperor's men had no intentions of causing anyone any harm at the well, but Claer hit a softspot when she slung an insult about the emperors son Florian, which I think we can figure out what by past knowledge. This was when she sealed her and her partners fates and why we found what we did at the well.
None of this was tied to the quest and would only be revealed if you chose to follow the breadcrumb trail to the truth.

This is one of hundreds of details that permeate the world and I could go on and on listing more for hours. I've never considered any game seriously worthy of GOAT and I honestly didn't expect this to be the one at all, but it's literally that good. The attention to detail in a world this large is mind boggling.

finalflame

Excuse me while I vomit in my mouth a little.

At the very best, combat in TW3 is serviceable. It 'clicked' with me very quickly after starting the game but I can still objectively call it mediocre.

Your racing game analogy makes me want to scream, jesus christ. Have you even touched Bloodborne?
If Bloodborne is Project Gotham Racing, then TW3 is poorly-done GTAV race mission played with a MadCatz controller submerged in a tub of jelly.
How you come to Gran Turismo is completely beyond me.

I'm not saying TW3 should have the combat from Bloodborne or Batman, i'm glad they chose to do their own thing. But damn if it isn't inferior to both of these games and many others.

I 100% agree with you. People are starting to get into this hyper-sensitive defensive mode about TW3 where they defend everything the game does because they have swooned over it. Calling the combat in the game close to a "simulation" as compared to the souls games is absolutely inaccurate and just people trying to make excuses for the game.

The combat is mediocre at best, even if you can get used to it. Absolutely no comparison to the controls in the Souls games, yet it's trying to do many of the same things. The people in charge of controls at CDPR clearly have a hard time getting it right, because controls have sucked ass going back as far as the last game (never played the first).

Luke_Wal

I finally had the time to finish MKX Ground Zeroes, and Shovel Knight, so I just started this this morning. I was loving it, and got halfway through the Gwent tutorial when an error message popped up and the game crashed. Is this common? The frame rate on some of the cutscenes was also a little worse than I would have expected from a game of this caliber.

I wish CDPR makes an Action RPG where I can create my own character (Cyberpunk I'm looking at you). I don't enjoy being a well known character, I want to create my own story and backstory.

Also The Witcher makes me think of old school Runescape, good days.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I hope I don't end up missing a character. Wanting to see things through quickly for Triss lost me an option (Radovid quest spoilers):
acquiring Philippa's crystal you have the option to give it to Radovid, keep it for yourself, or give it to "another sorceress". Can't seem to give it to Yen so Triss is the only option and she's gone. I kept the crystal for myself, but if Philippa doesn't appear in the game I'll be pissed.

I'm in the same boat. Really bummed about it, too

RDreamer

Over-Fucking-Burdened. I have +30 slots ATM, where exactly can I buy higher? I'm around Novigrad.

You can grab the 100 when you do one of the first quests in Novigrad and get let into a "secret area." Buy it from the merchant. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Okay this game is really starting to sink its hooks in now. I was a tad bit disappointed during the first ten hours or so but man I've absolutely loved the last 15 or so hours I've put into it. So many beautiful areas to explore and this game just keeps surprising me with how fucking massive it is, like Holyfuck this game is huge. It's blowing my mind. Absolutely in love with the combat now too. I played this all day on the vita yesterday and it ran perfectly. I just got to
Skellidge
after completing most of the missions on
Novgren(sp)
. Anyone know how far I'm into the main story? Feels like I might be half way but not positive.

gamma

Guys, I've never played any of the Witcher games. But Wild Hunt looks cool so I wanted to start by playing Witcher 1 & 2 since I have both of them on Steam (thanks random Steam sale). Are there any essential mods one should use or can you just go vanilla?

Anyone?

Certinty

Can anyone tell me how many main quests there are?

I've been playing for a while and have no idea how far I am into the game because there doesn't seem to be anyway to see my progress?

Okay this game is really starting to sink its hooks in now. I was a tad bit disappointed during the first ten hours or so but man I've absolutely loved the last 15 or so hours I've put into it. So many beautiful areas to explore and this game just keeps surprising me with how fucking massive it is, like Holyfuck this game is huge. It's blowing my mind. Absolutely in love with the combat now too. I played this all day on the vita yesterday and it ran perfectly. I just got to
Skellidge
Novgren(sp)
. Anyone know how far I'm into the main story? Feels like I might be half way but not positive.

Mileage may vary but I'd say less than half way. That's still the first mutli part mission you have from finishing the prologue. You have another, and it won't be the last either. But I won't say anymore because finding out how far the story will take you is part of the fun.

ironcreed

Banned
I'd go as far as to say it's the greatest video game ever made personally. Every little detail ties together somehow like some gigantic puzzle and it's amazing. Just yesterday I was exploring White Orchard again but doing all the quests on this run, I remembered the guy who had been
kicked out of town for sleeping with the emperor's son, Florian.
This detail surfaced again later when hunting the nightwraith, upon completing the quest the guy who paid me told me he recognized
the girls name, Claer and that the Herbalist knew her.
By this point the quest was long done and so were the rewards but I decided to head over and see the herbalist.

It turned out that the emperor's men had no intentions of causing anyone any harm at the well, but Claer hit a softspot when she slung an insult about the emperors son Florian, which I think we can figure out what by past knowledge. This was when she sealed her and her partners fates and why we found what we did at the well.
None of this was tied to the quest and would only be revealed if you chose to follow the breadcrumb trail to the truth.

This is one of hundreds of details that permeate the world and I could go on and on listing more for hours. I've never considered any game seriously worthy of GOAT and I honestly didn't expect this to be the one at all, but it's literally that good. The attention to detail in a world this large is mind boggling.

Details like this are really mind-boggling. Who else goes to such lengths? I sure as hell have not seen it taken to such a level in any other game. Not even in Rockstar's stuff.

Skellidge
Novgren(sp)

You've still got a LONG way to go. I'm far past that point and I still haven't even beaten the main story line. Though it could be shorter based on some of the choices you make going forward.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Mileage may vary but I'd say less than half way. That's still the first mutli part mission you have from finishing the prologue. You have another, and it won't be the last either. But I won't say anymore because half the fun is finding out how far the story will take you is part of the fun.

Sounds awesome!! Thanks my man. Can't wait to get back on this shit tonight.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The original Witcher never clicked with me, but as this came as part of a promotion for new GTX cards, I thought ' what the heck, I'll give it a whirl.' This was at 7.30pm

Next thing I knew, I was blood thirsty for monsters and my gf informed me that it's 2 am and she's off to bed.

Is the Griffin gear the one for the lowest level?
I just found some thing to upgrade griffin trousers and its says its for level 13.
Would it be a good idea to try to get complete griffin gear at around that level, or would it be a waste of time?

ironcreed

Banned
That feeling when you are sailing the depths in Skellige at night and then
sirens start ripping apart your boat.
Pretty awesome.

Shouta

OK wtf, I run into a cave, find a bunch of harpies circling a tree then go up to fight them and then my screen fades to black, says I'm at the end of the world and I'm endlessly falling. >=(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom