• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

Anyone found this elf lady yet?

geralt_with_elf_girl.jpg

Where is she?

Cassandra?!?!

Courage

Just now got to Skellige at level 18. I can't believe how massive this game is. It's so refreshing to play a game with such a grand scope that doesn't tire me after dozens of hours. In fact, I hope it goes on for another 100 hours.

SomTervo

lol that was so weird last night. Started the game last night at like 1 AM, and Geralt just pops up on the screen like this with no music or anything. Reminded me of the old NBA Live demo glitch lol

pNeHOIC.jpg

I've been getting a lot of hanging bodies like this!

Hilarious

Jedi2016

How do I use the DLC stuff? Is it suppose to be in my inventory?
The gear? You have to buy it from the merchant you saved in White Orchard. It's very low-level, it's already worthless to me. If you're out of WO already, there's probably no point in going back for it.

Novigrad is a shithole. The clean fresh air has soothed of the Skellige isles has soothed myself

Damn can these dudes out here play Gwent though. Lost once each to the blacksmith and the armorer. Went back and for with one of them with spy cards. Think the same one was passed along 2 or 3 times and there were at least that many in play too.

Need that damn Thaler card. iirc he started the whole ploughing thing in The Witcher 1. He was the only one who said it so I never knew what the hell he meant by, "we doing some ploughing business." I thought he wanted to bang.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Anyone found this elf lady yet?

geralt_with_elf_girl.jpg

Where is she?

If it's the quest I'm think of then maybe, although I can't remember her looking like that.

There's a side quest, I believe a Witcher contract where you're asked to locate and kill whatever killed some missing troops. It turns out to just be a Scoiatel unit led by a female elf called "the Red something" she tells you to forget what you saw and you can either walk away or kill her and her troops.

ironcreed

Banned
If it's the quest I'm think of then maybe, although I can't remember her looking like that.

There's a side quest, I believe a Witcher contract where you're asked to locate and kill whatever killed some missing troops. It turns out to just be a Scoiatel unit led by a female elf called "the Red something" she tells you to forget what you saw and you can either walk away or kill her and her troops.

The
Woodland Beast quest?
That explains why I may have missed her. As I
killed them all after confronting the elf in the tree.

the environment/ambience in general is great in this game, i was wondering in the southern part of the map and holy crap it is so freaking scary. specially when its raining and shit and not a single soul can be seen

Since I've seen a lot of comparison between Witcher 3 and BloodBorne. Bloodborne has better combat and it's not even debatable. Witcher has the better story and that's not debatable. I enjoy them both for different things. If I had to pick one I would say BloodBorne because I ran into far fewer bugs in the game.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

I thought that as well but I think she's human not an elf plus the outfit she wears is different.

Edit: Nevermnd she was an elf, thinking of someone else. Pretty sure though she has different attire now.

liezryou

Anyone got any tips for not dying when fighting Jenny O' the Woods? I'm level 9, I tried the suggested methods of using Yrden and Specter Oil but she still kills me. Or should I just abandon that quest, is it worth the trouble?

It is one of the toughest contracts earlier on. Make sure your gear is up to date, and don't try to attack it outside of yrden, you will do negligible damage. Make sure you are using those potions you got from the griffon quest (forgot the name).

Once you get the pattern down it's not that tough. Draw it into yrden->3 attacks->dodge out->repeat. There is trickiness in where she splits and she heals up, when she does this immediately follow the smoke trail and instakill one of the three splits, then run to the remaining.

boskee

Since I've seen a lot of comparison between Witcher 3 and BloodBorne. Bloodborne has better combat and it's not even debatable. Witcher has the better story and that's not debatable. I enjoy them both for different things. If I had to pick one I would say BloodBorne because I ran into far fewer bugs in the game.

I think comparing combat in TW3 with that in Blooborne is like comparing car handling in Mario Kart and Driveclub. Two completely different games. Both have fun combat imho.

Lol, the more i'm getting into the MQ the more i'm digging the nilfgardians. Sure they're the big soviet empire and all that, but atleast they're not running around yelling "THE ETERNAL FIRE" in people's faces while setting them on fire. The north's one hell of a shitshow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Need an alternative look for Triss tbh. Triss > Yen.

Going by a config file alternate looks for Triss and Ciri are coming too, along with Gwent cards.

Personally I found the combat in BB to be much more responsive but the combat in the Witcher to have more depth.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just Killed The Lord of the Woods. I was heavily outlevelled (Red Skull) but found a good strategy, some random Scoia'teal also came to support.
What a glorious battle.
Playing on Blood and Broken Bones btw.

KorrZ

I 100% agree with you. People are starting to get into this hyper-sensitive defensive mode about TW3 where they defend everything the game does because they have swooned over it. Calling the combat in the game close to a "simulation" as compared to the souls games is absolutely inaccurate and just people trying to make excuses for the game.

The combat is mediocre at best, even if you can get used to it. Absolutely no comparison to the controls in the Souls games, yet it's trying to do many of the same things. The people in charge of controls at CDPR clearly have a hard time getting it right, because controls have sucked ass going back as far as the last game (never played the first).

Opinions, how do they work again?

Is this game Bloodborne in terms of combat? Not really, but how many games are? If every game has to compare to Souls combat or be "mediocre at best" then you really must have a terrible time with a lot of games. I think the combat in this game is great and fun in it's own way though, and I've very much enjoyed most of the fights on B&BB difficulty. I'm sure I'd love it even more on Death March. When you execute a fight in this game flawlessly and dodge/roll around all of the enemies, never being hit and finish with a random head slice off it feels so damn satisfying.

Pooya

I just got to Novingrad.

Where can I get some good-ass saddlebags STAT? 90 pounds isn't enough, and I have a bunch of bolts I can't even sell. Is there really nowhere to stash your shit like TW2?

the shop in Putrid Grove sells +100 one for 900 something.

Just Killed The Lord of the Woods. I was heavily outlevelled (Red Skull) but found a good strategy, some random Scoia'teal also came to support.
What a glorious battle.
Playing on Blood and Broken Bones btw.
What was your strategy? Im going to tackle this one when I get home today.

gamma

Check out this thread.

Thanks man.

That's a lot of Witcher to go through, man. If you think this one looks good just jump in here. If you still insist, most Witcher 1 mods are graphical. Gameplay-wise there's this one which is pretty good but mostly geared towards people who have played the game already. As for TW2 it's pretty much the same, you can have some stuff to improve the graphics (see here) but outside of maybe adding a mod for infinite inventory if you want there is nothing too egregious for a mod to fix.

Thank you. I'm not gonna play 3 anytime soon since I need to buy a new GPU for it and that will probably take a few months. That's why I'll just play the first two meanwhile.

liezryou

One of those extra dlcs needs to be new gwent challenges/cards, everything so far has been relatively easy (even the
high stakes tournament
wasn't that hard, only had to reload once).

Okay so I already have the item necessary to make the Griffin trap, now the quest marker isn't sending me to the herbalist girl, where is she, I want to meet her anyway?

roytheone

So, is it me or is horse racing kinda terrible? There often is no way to predict in which direction the next waypoint is, which will often lead to you going in the opposite direction.

Okay so I already have the item necessary to make the Griffin trap, now the quest marker isn't sending me to the herbalist girl, where is she, I want to meet her anyway?

Had the same trouble, it is a small house a little to the north-west of the village.

AngryMoth

I'm about 10 hours in now, doing the bloody baron quest at the moment and yep, this game is amazing. Best quests of any open world games I've played, easily. The bar has been raised.

Just annoying that I'm working a lot at the moment, I'm jealous of anyone that's already been able to beat it!

RDreamer

Really getting sick of the combat complaints. Personally I fucking love the battles in this game. So far on Blood and Broken Bones it's felt difficult but fair and very fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom