• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogg

I got done yesterday with White Orchard, and I'm debating restarting my game. I skipped the gwent npc and cards at the time because of the crashes on PS4, and apparently I can't get them anymore now and I forever lost my chance at getting 6 cards. And that card quest will annoy me all game long, knowing I won't be able to complete it. Icing on the cake, I skipped the crystal skull.

I guess it wouldn't take me more than 3 hours or so to do it again. Is that silly ?

Dynasty8

Also..for anyone who missed it, you can get the 100 inventory saddlebag in Novigrad early on.

It's when you enter to meet the King of Beggars. The merchant to the left of the entrance sells it for 900 crowns.

Jolkien

I got done yesterday with White Orchard, and I'm debating restarting my game. I skipped the gwent npc and cards at the time because of the crashes on PS4, and apparently I can't get them anymore now and I forever lost my chance at getting 6 cards. And that card quest will annoy me all game long, knowing I won't be able to complete it. Icing on the cake, I skipped the crystal skull.

I guess it wouldn't take me more than 3 hours or so to do it again. Is that silly ?

In the lastest patch 1.04 you can buy those cards in white orchard, so they are not lost.

Zomba13

(Now or Never quest spoilers)
So I totally fucked up letting Triss go right? Since then I've noticed I've got a bunch of figurines in my inventory under "Quest Items" which I assume are things she could look at like she did with one I took her earlier. Also seems I could have taken an item from Redania's Most Wanted to her too. I made too much progress since letting her go though. I thought it'd make more sense with her to lead the mages as she seemed to have their respect and with Geralt having his memories back and Yen being back I thought it'd fit better.

I wish I knew to leave that quest alone.

artsi

So I totally fucked up letting Triss go right? Since then I've noticed I've got a bunch of figurines in my inventory under "Quest Items" which I assume are things she could look at like she did with one I took her earlier. Also seems I could have taken an item from Redania's Most Wanted to her too. I made too much progress since letting her go though. I thought it'd make more sense with her to lead the mages as she seemed to have their respect and with Geralt having his memories back and Yen being back I thought it'd fit better.

It's too late anyway after you've been assigned that quest,
no matter your choice in the end. When you go see Triss the quest starts so you can't show her anything, and you won't see her in Novigrad after you finish it.

Now that I've advanced the Novigrad quest line, it's nice to see more returning faces (that were in the launch trailer).
I love how an arranged version of the Assassins of Kings theme play in some of the scenes with Roche or Letho.
Radovid is an insane shitstain, I really hope I can help finish what was started in W2. He wants me to retrieve Philippa but I'd rather have Philippa dispatch him.

Edit: Hah, I have a great story about a Melitele statue and my blue stripes bros.

Ghost23

I'm about 40 hours in, and I am too far into the game to actually start collecting Gwent cards. It's too overwhelming for me to get started now. And it's impossible for me to get all the cards now because of where I am in the story. Oh well maybe if I do a Death March run in the future.

It's a pretty low level quest for what it entails. I did the same.
Can't Yen look at this stuff?

Zomba13

It's too late anyway after you've been assigned that quest,
no matter your choice in the end. When you go see Triss the quest starts so you can't show her anything, and you won't see her in Novigrad after you finish it.

Even if you
ask her to stay
?

I wish they made things like that more obvious or had a backup thing for that scenario or made the item descriptions clearer. I mean
I still know Kiera, she's still in the hut, she is a mage and we're good. Why can't I just take them to her?

boskee

That church is full of racist (speciesist?) cunts. Praise Melitele instead.

That was my first choice, but from what I have seen so far there's little references to the Melitele cult in TW3 so I decided to pick something more people are familiar with.

Man, Skellige is fucking HUGE. But this is probably the last area, right?

I am pretty sure there's at least 1 more, but probably small and story related.

Couple of recent thoughts

- I don't think any game has ever had more solid all-round day/night visuals. Both have the capacity to blow you away on a regular basis. Unity for example looked great in the day, but not so amazing at night. Watch Dogs looked great at night but not so great during the day. GTA V is pretty great at night and during the day as well, but Witcher 3 edges it.

- The main story missions have so far been some of the best quests I've played in a RPG in a very long time. The side missions are no slouches either. Usually, I'd be going for all the question marks first, but the quests are just too good.

- I'd really soured on the open world approach in the last year but now after finally getting to play GTA V and now the Witcher 3, I've been reminded again why it can be so great. It still worries me that less talented devs are going to keep doing it badly, though.

SoCoRoBo

After 35 hours, I'm almost ready to throw my mouse at the screen every time I see the words Witcher Senses.

- Use your Witcher Senses to find the screen.

"Hmm. Seems someone threw a mouse at this screen."

- Use your Witcher Senses to follow the trail of broken monitor shards.

"Hmm. Here's a mouse. Must've been what broke the screen."

- Use your Witcher Senses to identify the correct USB port to plug the mouse in.

10xp

Tom Penny

This is easily one of the best RPG ever made. Just the sheer scope and the size of the City alone is mind boggling. With patches and mods it's only going to get better :) and people saying they are not impressed with the visuals want to know what games they are playing..I must have never seen or heard of them.

Apt101

I think I'm done with contracts unless I vastly outlevel it - by like 10 levels. The enemies seem poorly designed and hit far too hard. Just not fun. The rest of the game is so good these seem like a pointless distraction anyways. It's almost like they put their worst encounter designers on contracts while their top talent worked on the main and secondary quests.

Tenebrous

- Use your Witcher Senses to identify the correct USB port to plug the mouse in.

10xp

Sigh, I laughed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
w1duufg.png

Ghost23

Rain and storms look so bad on PS4. It becomes a slideshow in Novigrad every time. Honestly, I kinda wish I could just stay at the 4am-8pm time slot with clear skies the entire time.

After 35 hours, I'm almost ready to throw my mouse at the screen every time I see the words Witcher Senses.

Yeah this is my only criticism of the quests (which is all fantastic). I think they should've said it in the prologue area and after that stopped saying it. Let players figure be conscious about it. Sometimes you may forget and stumble upon a quest differently. You don't need the senses to be activated initially IIRC to "examine" and stuff either. Should've just cut it at at the end of the prologue.

ironcreed

Banned
Just imagine, the world is going to get even bigger with the second expansion. A whole new region called Toussaint with another 20+ hours of content.

I think I'm done with contracts unless I vastly outlevel it - by like 10 levels. The enemies seem poorly designed and hit far too hard. Just not fun. The rest of the game is so good these seem like a pointless distraction anyways. It's almost like they put their worst encounter designers on contracts while their top talent worked on the main and secondary quests.
Really? I find them really enjoyable. A little investigation, a little preparation, and then an epic fight. I recently stumbled into several in a row, and they've always been difficult yet fun.

If you're having difficulty, aside from usual preparations like oils and potions appropriate for the monster, be sure to read the bestiary entry for the contract (such unusual monsters have their own unique entries) and adapt your approach from that. There's always some information in there that is vital in defeating them, and they also give a strong hint as to how to even survive.

10xp

Very nice; you're a quest designer at heart.

boskee

Just imagine, the world is going to get even bigger with the second expansion. A whole new region called Toussaint with another 20+ hours of content.

To be honest I am more excited to see (most likely) Shani or Kalkstein in the first expansion. But yeah, come payday I will preorder that expansion pass.

Tacitus_

That was my first choice, but from what I have seen so far there's little references to the Melitele cult in TW3 so I decided to pick something more people are familiar with.

But then you can feel superior to other people who don't know what you're referencing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

They're just buffed up normal enemies. Git gud.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just saw the 3 different main endings on YT:

- Ciri dissappears
- Ciri lives, but goes to the king/Emhyr
- Ciri lives, becomes a witcher

Super glad I got the last one, but it was a bit tricky to get it.

I prefer Ciri becoming Empress, I find it a happier ending than her just being some monster slayer.

Really wish we had storage of some kind in his game. I replaced a set of armor I made but they warned me to keep it when I made it since I could upgrade that set later. Yet it's taking up space...

I don't really have a problem with the combat as much as with some enemies. Hitboxes can really screw you over and some enemies hit constantly which is annoying. The Worse is fighting these types of enemies while they're in a group; that's when the bad hitboxes rear its ugly head.

SDCowboy

On Breakneck Speed, am I supposed to take out all the enemies? Feels like they're infinite.

edit: Nevermind. I gave up and just bolted for the end. lol

Tacitus_

To be honest I am more excited to see (most likely) Shani or Kalkstein in the first expansion. But yeah, come payday I will preorder that expansion pass.

Yeah... about that (minor midgame spoilers)
Kalkstein got burned by witch hunters... though at least he went out with style. RIP you crazy ass bugger

Got a broken quest: Get Junior.

Can't open the damn secret stash. Geralt can't activate the lever, only ignites it.

Kalkstein got burned by witch hunters... though at least he went out with style. RIP you crazy ass bugger

Radovid sucks flaccid cock
. Best line hands down.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

RADOVID SUCKS FLACCID COCK

Grisby

You dont need trophies for any crafting stuff later on do you? They're starting to weigh me down and I really only want to keep the experience giving ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom