• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrato

11223720_10153325535198288_1603065018292718581_o.jpg

Got them today! Though I won't use the Guide on this playthrough (I'll admit I checked to know If I did something wrong on one quest... but I shall now put it far away from my PC), it's two nice looking books.

Exentryk

Got them today! Though I won't use the Guide on this playthrough (I'll admit I checked to know If I did something wrong on one quest... but I shall now put it far away from my PC), it's two nice looking books.

Isn't it? The material on the cover of that small book is awesome. I've only used it for checking some Gwent stuff, so I don't miss any cards. Don't really need it for other things as I like to be thorough anyway when exploring.

Serrato

Isn't it? The material on the cover of that small book is awesome. I've only used it for checking some Gwent stuff, so I don't miss any cards. Don't really need it for other things as I like to be thorough anyway when exploring.

Indeed! The small book is nice in hands. I also bought all the Books that are currently in english (so... five). I wanted to do that since Witcher 2 but never got around to do it.

Exentryk

Indeed! The small book is nice in hands. I also bought all the Books that are currently in english (so... five). I wanted to do that since Witcher 2 but never got around to do it.

Nice. I am not much of a book reader, so don't think I'll bother. But I did read an interesting story in-game from a book called "The Last Wish" :D

Vidpixel

So yeah, I told both Triss and Yennefer that I love them

... and then immediately reloaded my save file because I realize that's a horrible idea.

dlauv

Probably 60 hours in and just got griffin set 2. Looks boss.

Still waiting for the other gwent decks to not suck--still not enough cards available.

Geralt's morality doesn't make complete sense to me. The point is to make it seem like every situation is morally true to the character, but there are some clear white and black options and options that seem to be a complete overreaction, or options that bypass clear logic. They don't crop in too often, and I can't think of anything specific, but I get the impression that geralt is probably socially inept in some of the non-player controlled instances. Just general impressions.

Really enjoying the ciri combat.

Nothing as emotionally satisfying as the baron quest line yet. Cleaning up a few remaining quests in novigrad. Feeling a little bit of padding fatigue. It gets a little old having to do favors for everyone, hoofing it back and forth to the same old places, before you can complete a favor. However, the characters responding to your past choices makes it mostly worth it. Some of it just feels like busywork slightly.

Game isn't quite living up to the hype for me, even though I'm absolutely loving it. I've never played an rpg that I haven't skipped through a considerable amount of dialogue for. It holds my attention very well. Dialogue is usually very clever, but over the course of a 60 hour marathon, archetypes Pop up a bit too often.

Getting a reasonably solid 30fps on a 3770k and 660ti on 1.01 and gta iv drivers: everything is on ultra except for shadows and foliage visibility, which are set to high. Hair works is off of course.

So yeah, I told both Triss and Yennefer that I love them

... and then immediately reloaded my save file because I realize that's a horrible idea.
You did good.

Besides, the fit Yen throws after you
say you don't have feelings for her
at the end of her personal quest and return to K
aer Morhen
is absolutely amazing.

I'm level 23 and I'm running out of quests...

Is this right? I have all the gear, doing pretty much all the quest except Gwent (not playing Gwent because I'll do it on my next playthrough for my Plat).

The main quest, I've done the Skellige part. I'm now doing level 24+ quests, but there aren't many left. Also, half of the notable areas are finished. Do I have to grind? lol

ufo8mycat

With a medium OC GTX 980, he can do 4K 30fps with a mix of Ultra and High with Hairworks on. If you turn off Hairworks, it'll increase a bit more, and even more if you turn down HBAO+ to SSAO. So, he has room on the PC as to what he wants. I prefer 60 fps on 1080p tho.

The main reason for me to move from PS4 to PC would be the comfort of the control mappings on the PC. Touchpad to map, touchpad to quicksave, swipe to change signs etc.

Well yeah @ 4K it's going to look better :D

Yeah my main reason was 60fps and MODs, but I was impatient so i bought the PS4 version first and played that a bit.

Now I am actually thinking of starting over again to play on Bloodmarch difficulty. Currently playing on Blood & Broken Bones.

Same here. I had the same thing happen to me in DA:I which i gave up on. Except here i am getting burned out to no choice of my own. The norivad quests or whatever that city is called is just awful

I really, really want to love this game, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult as well. Everything that doesn't involve actual gameplay is flawless, but everything that involves actual gameplay is absolutely woeful. The story and dialog is miles ahead of Inquisition, but at least that game had enjoyable (if somewhat mindless) combat. And it doesn't help that I've spent the last two months playing Bloodborne nonstop, which has cast Witcher's combat and movement mechanics in a really harsh light.

I'm considering just dropping down to easy in the hopes that that'll make things less tedious.

Serrato

You did good.

Besides, the fit Yen throws after you
say you don't have feelings for her
at the end of her personal quest and return to K
aer Morhen
is absolutely amazing.

Like I said earlier on that her reaction
when she is hearth broken litteraly make my own twist in my chest. It was more beleivable than in some movies >>

Imru’ al-Qays;165188970 said:
I really, really want to love this game, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult as well. Everything that doesn't involve actual gameplay is flawless, but everything that involves actual gameplay is absolutely woeful. The story and dialog is miles ahead of Inquisition, but at least that game had enjoyable (if somewhat mindless) combat. And it doesn't help that I've spent the last two months playing Bloodborne nonstop, which has cast Witcher's combat and movement mechanics in a really harsh light.

I'm considering just dropping down to easy in the hopes that that'll make things less tedious.

I felt the same way about the combat at first. But it eventually just clicked and now I actually find it quite fun and I can't wait to get into my next battle.

It still doesn't hold a candle to Bloodbornes combat but I find it much better than DAI.

Man, idk..the longer I play this game the more bored I get. It's funny how they ragged on fetch quests, I feel like a lot of these quests are just fetching things with extended background details. The one for fetching
the guys goat
stood out as exceptionally awful. I might just rush through the rest of the story and be done with it. This was easily my most anticipated game of the year and it definitely didn't live up to what I was expecting....maybe my own fault

lol, i just finished the quest and knew exactly what was behind the spoiler :D yup, some of these quest are simple. i'm still having fun though. just wish the combat was better.

McBryBry

I wish you could fish in this game for food, hours would be wasted. They already give you a boat now patch in a fishing pole!

God if one of the DLC's ended up being a big fishing side quest/mini game ala Zelda (I absolutely loved Twilight Princess' fishing side stuff) it would truly be the game of the forever.

Lingitiz

Like I said earlier on that her reaction
when she is hearth broken litteraly make my own twist in my chest. It was more beleivable than in some movies >>

Yeah her reaction was pretty rough but true to the character. A lot of people I expect will probably stick with Triss due to the past 2 games and because you encounter her first if you don't head to Skellige underleveled. The Last Wish quest was awesome for that reason and they make it as hard as possible to choose.

Vidpixel

Man, idk..the longer I play this game the more bored I get. It's funny how they ragged on fetch quests, I feel like a lot of these quests are just fetching things with extended background details. The one for fetching
the guys goat
stood out as exceptionally awful. I might just rush through the rest of the story and be done with it. This was easily my most anticipated game of the year and it definitely didn't live up to what I was expecting....maybe my own fault

Honestly, that's pretty much the only quest I've played where I literally rolled my eyes and just thought "... Really?"

I felt the same way about the combat at first. But it eventually just clicked and now I actually find it quite fun and I can't wait to get into my next battle.

It still doesn't hold a candle to Bloodbornes combat but I find it much better than DAI.

I'm hoping that'll happen to me as well, which is why I haven't dropped it to easy yet. I think part of the problem is that it's just close enough to Souls-style combat that it's easy to make comparisons, and Souls wins every time. I know in my heart that DAI's combat wasn't all that good, but at least it was different enough that I never thought to compare it to Souls.

ufo8mycat

Yup, at first I felt like this too. But now, wow much better then Inquisition, thanked mostly because of the dodge mechanic. If it just had the roll but no dodge, then yeah that would impact the combat a lot

The dodge mechanic is a combat changer! :D

I think the key is to play it like a Bloodborne game instead of a button masher. Use Dodge!

Zomba13

People are complaining about the
goat
quest? Y
ou track it for a little bit, ring a bell while going back the way you came, fight a bear and then drop it off. Bearly takes 5 minutes.

Zomba13

Is there ability respec in the game? I have no idea what I'm doing in regards to a build. :/

Respec potions are sold for 1000 crowns. There is a guy in Novigrad selling them and Keira also sells them.

Imru’ al-Qays;165190050 said:
There is, but I've heard that it makes you permanently lose all the points you've gained from Places of Power.

It doesn't.

Imru’ al-Qays;165190050 said:
There is, but I've heard that it makes you permanently lose all the points you've gained from Places of Power.

Respec potions are sold for 1000 crowns. There is a guy in Novigrad selling them and Keira also sells them.

Some merchants (especially Herbalist and Alchemist) have a Potion that cost 1000 Crowns that reset all your skill points, including the places of power.
Thanks gents. I've asked before with no response, but I could use some advice on the best skills to go with for a Fast Attack/Quen focused build.

So far I'm looking at:
Muscle Memory
Precise Blows
Focus
Adrenaline Burst
Poisoned Blades
Cat School Techniques
Quen path

x2601

Neo Member
People are complaining about the
goat
quest? Y
ou track it for a little bit, ring a bell while going back the way you came, fight a bear and then drop it off. Bearly takes 5 minutes.

I.. enjoyed this quest? It was pretty funny.

Grisby

This game is astounding on its exploration. I feel like it's a fantasy Red Dead in some sense or the type of the quality that I always hoped the Fable games would reach one day.

Lunar15

the guys goat
Thought the same, then I went through the whole Bloody Baron quest line and found it really well done. Same with Towerful of Mice later on.

To be fair, the goat thing was the worst quest I've done so far. But it lasted all of 5 minutes? Also, when most people, CDPR included, mention fetch quests, they usually mean "go kill 3 drowners" or "Go pick 15 elderberries!". While you do need to gather stuff for crafting, all of the quests have been at least somewhat interesting and with some context.

Vidpixel

Yeah her reaction was pretty rough but true to the character. A lot of people I expect will probably stick with Triss due to the past 2 games and because you encounter her first if you don't head to Skellige underleveled. The Last Wish quest was awesome for that reason and they make it as hard as possible to choose.

Yeah, I chose Triss mostly because I played The Witcher 2 prior to this and you spend more time with her earlier on. She also didn't seem like the stereotypical choice for Geralt and his story, which I thought made things a bit more interesting.

I will say though, Yennefer's ambient dialogue with Geralt during those Skellige missions made me feel like an awful person for my decision.

As I keep playing I keep thinking about how Poland's labour cost can't be that much less than the US. So the game is only as good as it is because of the talent of CDPR

literally the funnest thing I've played this year so far.

ufo8mycat

This game is astounding on its exploration. I feel like it's a fantasy Red Dead in some sense or the type of the quality that I always hoped the Fable games would reach one day.

Yup. I have actually turned the mini map off. It has made exploration even more enjoyable. Just stumbling in to areas, villages, quests etc, rather then knowing what to expect sort of thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom