• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting for new page. I'm very early on having just finished the intro sequence, and I would REALLY like to figure out how to strong attack without double clicking. I'm using default keyboard + mouse bindings.

Is there any way to tell that you strong attacked besides the delay? Geralt does a spinny thing sometimes but I think there may be a fast spinny thing and a strong spinny thing.

Personally I remapped my controls a bit and put strong attack on Right Click. Just felt really awkward to have to use a modifier for it. I moved parry to my Mouse 4 button.

finalflame

I dunno, developers aren't perfect, if the masses complain about a design decision, they'll probably fix it.

Skipping the annoying couple of steps long walking phase every time you start moving alone would make it a lot less annoying.

Yah, maybe. However, I don't see a massive outcry, as it went largely untouched in reviews.

What I meant was, this isn't a bug. It's something their playtesters and QA people have probably brought up if it was a factor during development many times, and they decided to stick with whatever the walking/running physics are for Geralt. I really hate it, though. Feels so clunky :/

Blizzard

Banned
Personally I remapped my controls a bit and put strong attack on Right Click. Just felt really awkward to have to use a modifier for it. I moved parry to my Mouse 4 button.
Someone else said they can shift left click though.

I figured out that strong attacks do a red circle, and fast attacks do a blue circle. I definitely can't strong attack unless I shift left DOUBLE click, which is really bizarre.

fastmower

The game is pretty good so far, but the controls are sooo sluggish and janky. My biggest gripe so far.

I'm playing on PC with a DS4 by the way.

OCD Guy

I know the game was releasing early at some gamestops, but did I miss something about the digital copies being unlocked early? I got the PS4 version and it's about 23 minutes until midnight, but I can play it already. Not complaining though, I'm excited to start playing!

It was a global release so some countries had it unlocked at random times. As opposed to normally where a game is release on x date and unlocks at midnight on x date in your country.

Which means some countries technically get it early due to their timezone. With witcher it unlocked at the same time for everyone (aside from a glitch in the australian psn that got it early)

jacobeid

Banned
My PS4 copy should be on my doorstep tomorrow, but I'm seeing enough technical issues that I'm probably going to wait for a patch or two, which is completely ok considering the fact that I'm in the middle of a few games at the moment.

Hope that you all enjoy yourselves :)

Hagi

I don't really have any issues with the controls so far but I did just finish Witcher 2 on Sunday. Wild Hunt seems a bit more intuitive and fluid. No jank for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone else said they can shift left click though.

I figured out that strong attacks do a red circle, and fast attacks do a blue circle. I definitely can't strong attack unless I shift left DOUBLE click, which is really bizarre.
I finally figured it out. If Fraps is running, the Steam overlay is broken (apparently with all games?) and shift click doesn't work. Shift click works once I close Fraps.

I'm running the paid version of Fraps so this is an extra weird Fraps bug. I'll try to see if there's a later version available.

The game is pretty good so far, but the controls are sooo sluggish and janky. My biggest gripe so far.

First thing I noticed when I finally got to control Geralt. I think I will manage though, I'm already getting accustomed to it.

What a beautiful game. Holy shit, it's gorgeous.

I spent between 3-4 hours playing it today, and was quite impressed. I went in unsure of whether I'd like it a lot, because I didn't finish The Witcher 2 due to its difficulty/some frustration. I'm gonna need to remedy that later.

It took me that long to beat the first story quest, though I admittedly did side quests, looked for question mark locations, picked lots of flowers and whatnot.

This is gonna' contend for GOTY, for sure.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So for people that played The Witcher 2, how does controlling Geralt in this feel like in comparison? I had no issues with how he controlled there, so hopefully it's similar enough.

NightOnyx

It was a global release so some countries had it unlocked at random times. As opposed to normally where a game is release on x date and unlocks at midnight on x date in your country.

Oh nice! Thanks for the info. Wish I checked it sooner, but nbd. I'm just happy to be playing it finally.

Anung

Un Rama
I sound like I'm being down on this game. But I'm loving the shit out of it. And it's absolutely living up to the hype for me so far. Just got a few janky mechanical stuff but it is in no way a deal breaker.

Hagi

So for people that played The Witcher 2, how does controlling Geralt in this feel like in comparison? I had no issues with how he controlled there, so hopefully it's similar enough.

He's a bit less grounded I feel but not in a detrimental way. The added dodge mechanic is a big welcome in my eyes to make combat flow better. I don't think you'll have any problems with the controls after 2.

Only thing I'm not vibing with is the changing of how Yrden works.

In Witcher 2 Geralt doesn't really have much momentum. He takes maybe a moment to start running from stopped, but he can pretty much immediately turn on a dime. In Witcher 3 you DEFINITELY have momentum. You sort of lurch into a run when you start moving from a stop, and when you turn, Geralt doesn't immediately snap to the new direction. He moves more realistically, I suppose. They feel pretty different, so I don't know that you can really judge whether or not you'll like W3 from W2.

DarkOneX

Got the PS4 one and played about 3 hours. Didn't pick to simulate Witcher 2 save because I didn't play the previous ones, hopefully that wasn't a HUGE mistake and I should start fresh and choose to do so? Have not experienced any bugs or crashes and it runs smooth for me, no stuttering to speak of minus very very minor during a couple cutscenes but nowhere near as bad as DA:I had. In game has only ran very smooth for me, no signs of hitching and the game looks great. I think the movement is a little odd, I think he moves too dang fast like it feels like he's always sprinting, yet there is a sprint option that makes him go even faster! I think they should just slow down his walking speed quite a bit and I think that'd fix the issue with the movement, it's not game breaking though I'm really enjoying the game, glad I picked it up!

Blizzard

Banned
Outside of combat, the biggest control jank I've had was trying to get the tiny (E) ladder text to appear so I can climb down ladders from above in the intro section, instead of just jumping off and hurting/killing myself. It makes me wish there were a first-person view or a ladder lock-on instead of trying to make Geralt turn to activate the highlight.

erawsd

When exploring theres definitely a lot more momentum to him, he doesnt come to an immediate stop nor can he make very sharp turns. You also cant interact with anything while pressing the analog stick forward, you must release first. Many of the reviews actually referenced it and mentioned it being something they had to adjust to, we'll see if the same happens for the rest of us.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a chance to boot this up and play a bit. Goddamn, it looks incredible and runs extremely well on my computer with a mixture of High and Ultra and HBAO+ as well as the Nvidia hair stuff.

Really like how it controls with a pad, too.

x5pence

Neo Member
Anybody else on the west coast have to wait another hour? I feel like sometime in the last week or so my digital copy added a few more hours to the wait time :(

BraXzy

I'm the same and I completely agree. I only gave the game a quick go before but, it just feels super sluggish like you're constantly walking in mud at least when turning/stopping. But then running/sprinting feels really off too in part because of the janky turning I think. Because it feels like you go too fast or don't slow down in a responsive way when you let go of movement.

It felt jist as bad with the keyboard and mouse so it wasn't the fact I was using a controller. I have V Sync off and Hardware CCursor on, isn't that meant to improve things? Fingers crossed for a patch.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
What a waste of $65 bucks (PS4 version).

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit combat (it makes Shadow of Mordor look like Bayonetta)
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures
Crashes (It's crashed on me 3 times now)
Hud overload (that Bloodborne Ubisoft pic is sooooooo appropriate)
Awful framerate (especially cutscenes)

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Not a fan of how it feels to lurch into a run or change directions either. Geralt has a lot of momentum. I guess Witcher 3 walking is a bit like GTA IV driving in that it 'has weight,' and 'doesn't feel floaty.' I didn't like GTA IV driving much either.

It's actually what they had in Witcher 2, although Geralt paused midstep to do it so it was slightly more awkward.

I'm gonna try it on a pad and see if it's better, cause I actually like GTA4's type of "weight" both on kb/m and controller.

Courage

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Bad Writing (To be fair this is on me because I watched trailers for this and played the second game, so I shouldn't be that surprised.)
Shit Textures

I knew this game was going to suck and decided to buy it anyways, I only have myself to blame.
mjcry1.png

This is an Ubisoft game with a Game of Thrones skin and slightly less shitty combat and writing (yes, I know it's based on books but it sucks in pretty much the same way that show does). That fact that this terrible game has a 92 on metacritic and has 1.5 plus million pre orders is absolutely disgusting.
scust.png

How can a post be so wrong?

NightOnyx

Got the PS4 one and played about 3 hours. Didn't pick to simulate Witcher 2 save because I didn't play the previous ones, hopefully that wasn't a HUGE mistake and I should start fresh and choose to do so? Have not experienced any bugs or crashes and it runs smooth for me, no stuttering to speak of minus very very minor during a couple cutscenes but nowhere near as bad as DA:I had. In game has only ran very smooth for me, no signs of hitching and the game looks great. I think the movement is a little odd, I think he moves too dang fast like it feels like he's always sprinting, yet there is a sprint option that makes him go even faster! I think they should just slow down his walking speed quite a bit and I think that'd fix the issue with the movement, it's not game breaking though I'm really enjoying the game, glad I picked it up!

I didn't know what to do at the simulate the Witcher 2 save as well. Seems like you want to do it though if you want to have any input on what happened in the 2nd one. "Off" wont let you choose anything. I want to have a say in what happened, so I chose "On". I think the wording in the menus for that is really bad. Makes you think it's the other way around, where yes is the one you want to go with if you want to choose what happened.

Verder

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit Textures

mjcry1.png

scust.png

what. idk if youre being sacrastic or not.

OCD Guy

MaddenNFL64

KEvVe3p.jpg

just a random screenshot i took, messing with that raptr overlay for amd.

I think I either took it at a bad angle, or Geralt is holding invisible reigns.

What difficulty should I be playing this on everyone?? Just going to load it up and start.

Normally I'd choose the hardest or one less off the bat. Reviews seemed to recommend 'one above what you'd normally take.' Death March does not joke around. The first silly little fight with a handful of ghouls wrecked me repeatedly while I learned controls. If you want a ... souls difficulty level challenge? I'd put it around there, probably. Then Death March. If you just want a moderate challenge then probably Blood & Broken Bones.

Sent cdprojektred a tweet, asking them to improve the text size, it's way too small. I'm struggling to read the text, learning all the backstory and such in the options screen.

BraXzy

I think one of the biggest reasons the controls feel super janky is because I'm currently in the process of playing Bloodborne too and movement/rolling/attacking is just so fluid and responsive. Hopefully I will get used to it.

AdanVC

Ugly ass animations
Janky character movement
Shit Textures

mjcry1.png

scust.png

Got excited into the OT to check the latest impressions of the game and this is the first one I see on the last page... Damn need to read more impressions of course but this doesn't sounds good.

Tohsaka

Question about the notice boards. I went up to the first one you come to, and there were a bunch of notices up, but I only got a couple quests from them; the rest didn't give anything. Are they just lore/world-building?

I think one of the biggest reasons the controls feel super janky is because I'm currently in the process of playing Bloodborne too and movement/rolling/attacking is just so fluid and responsive. Hopefully I will get used to it.

I was playing Bloodborne last night, and you're right, they're nothing alike.

I certainly felt the somewhat sluggish controls at first but after playing for about 2-3 hours I'm not really having a problem anymore, playing with mouse and keyboard fyi, had to rebind some keys but besides that and just ocasionally having to reposition myself over a corpse or bag to pick up loot haven't had any problems with it so far.

Loving it though, so much is open already and I've only just really started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom